Melinda and Melinda - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Melinda and Melinda Reviews

November 28, 2016
Imagined in a conversation of two contrasting outlooks on life, two parallel love stories of the same titular character develop and intertwine frivolously to illustrate mighty Aphrodite's fickle temperament.
November 12, 2016
another winner from allen another lost review from flixter
September 12, 2016
A typical Woody Allen borefest. Pretentious and unbearable to sit through. (First and only viewing - 9/7/2016)
½ September 11, 2016
A Woody Allen concept movie which is conceived as two different stories made up over dinner (with Andre). Both are started from the same point but they go in the direction of tragedy and comedy separately. It's really not very funny despite having Will Ferrell impersonating Woody Allen throughout one of the stories.
August 27, 2016
"-You know, life is manageable enough if you keep your hopes modest. The minute you allow yourself sweet dreams you run the risk of them crashing down."
August 21, 2016
Very good. A really unique way of telling a story, a group of friends are discussing a story and one thinks it would make a good serious drama and another thinks it would make a good romantic comedy. The movie is told through both of these sides of the same story and it alternates between the two. I much preferred the more comedic one than the drama. When it's the drama one most of the things that happen kinda pissed me off the way it was told, but I think that is on purpose. Woody much prefers the comedic style to his stories (although they're not just comedies they're much more than that, mostly including philosophical dialogue about life) and his distaste for 100% dramatic shows during the dramatic telling of the Melinda story. Hence the title of the film Melinda and Melinda. There are recycled plot elements from Woody's movies around the time this came out but I really don't care to be honest. I found this a very unique and different (to a degree) film from Woody Allen and would recommend it.
½ June 1, 2016
Another delightful piece of whimsy and drama. Not Allen's very best but extremely enjoyable and atmospheric nonetheless.
March 18, 2016
Melinda has 3 addictions and baggage. she is a train wreck.
March 14, 2016
Not as good as Allen used to be with his comedies in the 70s, such as Sleeper and Love and Death.
September 29, 2015
Great movie! Reasonably funny own its own, but Will Ferrell has the ability to make even the most horrible movies funnier. Found my self very confused at points when trying to figure out which side of the story is happening. Another typical movie from woody Allen.
½ September 13, 2015
The premise is more interesting on paper than on screen, as the comedy side of "Melinda and Melinda" isn't all that memorable or funny, and the drama half is just wooden.
June 3, 2015
Melinda and Melinda is clever for the way it celebrates Woody Allen's ability to do comedy and drama (even though it's far from great).
April 23, 2015
Perfectly watchable, but not as well executed as it needed to be.
½ February 23, 2015
What starts off as a great concept ultimately boils down to two unrealized stories. The tragedy is never quite tragic enough, the comedy is never that funny, and neither movie is really that good. Each character is so unlikable that the outcome is irrelevant. The reliably hilarious Will Ferrell gives a performance that should work but he feels subdued whilst giving us a pale impression of Allen. All the actors are good, but they all feel miscast. Failed actors, adultery, jazz music and suicide attempts are all redundant tropes of his movies. Redundancy is acceptable as long as the movies aren't disjointed, half-hearted and subpar.
February 13, 2015
Was honored to be cast in this film (even with just a few lines), it was a pleasure to be on set and work with Amanda Peet and Katier Kreisler and of course, Woody! :)
February 11, 2015
This was a neat experience and pretty enjoyable!
December 31, 2014
Perspective is the name of the game
December 20, 2014
WOW.....WOW....WOW....WHAT A MOVIE......I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that chiwetel ejidfor, will Ferrell, johnny lee miller, radha Mitchell, Amanda peet, Wallace shawn, chloe sevigny, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......I think that the director of this comedy/drama/romance movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie........

The film received mostly mixed reviews from critics. The review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that the film received 51% positive reviews, based on 144 reviews. Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 54 out of 100, based on 40 reviews. Leonard Maltin gives the film two stars, calling it "meandering," with "echoes... of earlier, better Allen movies".

Melinda and Melinda opened on March 18, 2005, in one New York City cinema, where it grossed $74,238 in its first three days, the 21st highest limited release opening in Hollywood history. In weekend two, it expanded to 95 theatres to gross $740,618, seeing its per screen average nosedive to $7,795.

Overseas, it grossed an additional $16,259,545, bringing its worldwide total to $20,085,825.

Woody Allen said in Conversations with Woody Allen that he wanted to cast Winona Ryder in the title role. He had to replace her with Radha Mitchell because no one would insure Ryder due to her arrest for shoplifting - this would have made it impossible to obtain a film completion bond. Allen stated he was sad because he had written the part for Ryder after working with her on Celebrity. In the same interview, he also claimed to have intended Ferrell's part for Robert Downey, Jr., but, again, insurance got in the way due to Downey's history of arrests and drug abuse.

Radha Mitchell plays Melinda in both versions. ChloŽ Sevigny, Jonny Lee Miller, and Chiwetel Ejiofor star with her in the tragedy, while Will Ferrell and Amanda Peet star with her in the comedy. Steve Carell has a small part as Ferrell's friend.

The film also stars Wallace Shawn (alluding to his dinner-philosophy argument in My Dinner with Andre) as the comic playwright, Larry Pine as the tragedian, and Brooke Smith as Cassie. All three had appeared in the 1994 film Vanya on 42nd Street, directed by Louis Malle.

The cast includes:

Brooke Smith as Cassie
Daniel Sunjata as Billy
Larry Pine as Max
Andy Borowitz as Doug

man this is such a really really powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch......man this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.....I think that this is such a really really funny movie 2 watch, but it is such a really sad movie 2 watch as well.....man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....man this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......
September 6, 2014
I think I'm going to need to do some reflecting on this one to fully absorb it, and will certainly need to watch it again more awake, but I enjoyed the premise, and contrary to the critics enjoyed the execution. There were a multitude of brilliant lines. I think, the part I need to reflect on, is that I didn't find a great deal of humor in the comedic spin on things, and I haven't decided if that's proving its entire point about subconscious perspective making all the difference between comedy and tragedy, or if there was something lacking in the definition of comedy.
June 8, 2014
Woody Allen makes a movie in which he tells the same story from both a comic and tragic perspective. Except the two perspectives seem only superficially and unpersuasively so.