Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

½ April 9, 2018
I remember really liking this film back in like 2004 or whatever, so - being a big fan of boxing movies in adulthood - figured I would revisit it. Ad ya know what? It does *not* hold up. Clint Eastwood is good, Hilary Swank is good, and that's about it. Everyone else is a complete caricature of a type of person the hyper right wing director believes exists. Evil, welfare-queen type parents. A poor black man who is ok with being called the N-word and will spend all of his sock money at the tracks. Pretty despicable.
½ April 2, 2018
An extremely touching and heartfelt film.
March 9, 2018
In my top 3 boxing movies of all time with rocky and raging bull
March 8, 2018
Although it might look like a darker, female-lead version of "Rocky," this boxing drama is a heavy-hitter.
February 24, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 11, 2018
Solid directing effort by Eastwood, Swank is good
½ January 27, 2018
Great movie. Not your typical "coming from nothing to being somebody" story. I loved that behind the rise to fame there was real brokenness--real issues at play: Eastwood's character dealing with unforgiveness from his daughter and journeying in his own faith--to Swank's character and the broken relationships and complexities among her family, but also the desire to feel loved and cared for. Much more to say, but a great movie overall!
½ January 6, 2018
'Million Dollar Baby' is so much more than a boxing movie about a woman. Powerful and heartbreaking at the same time, with flawless performances by Swank, Eastwood and Freeman.
November 15, 2017
A beautiful roller coaster of emotion.
October 9, 2017
Hillary Swank is not everyone's cup of tea for sure but if you can tolerate her painful expressions then this is a great movie to watch.
½ October 9, 2017
Eastwood and Swank are the real draws here, both delivering knock-out (sorry) performances of subtlety and depth. The rest of the cast? Not so much: The actors are fine, but the material is cartoonish and shallow, such that all but the principle plot flatlines. Yet the third act twist carries enough punch (again: sorry) to bring this otherwise well-trodden affair to life.
October 8, 2017
This puppy starts out as a well acted, character driven sports drama. And, then flips and turns into a very moving, and genuine tear jerker in it's amazing third act. Just amazing stuff!
September 24, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal dramatic movie starring Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Hillary swank aka the main girl who is phenomenal in this movie. I really really enjoyed this movie, and i am calling this movie, movie of the week,a new thing that i have created for myself. i would definitely see this movie again because Hilary swank is the best, Clint Eastwood is good as always, he's going to act and direct forever.
September 10, 2017
8/10 Moving and heartfelt and greatly acted, although it feels forced and has cliches and the tone is drastically changed from joyful to extremely depressing
½ September 5, 2017
takes a certain kind of courage to understand that movie.
September 4, 2017
Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman! Strong!
August 21, 2017
10 out of 10:

Wow, I mean god, this film is sad. The acting is also really good and the direction is stunning. The fight scenes are intense, the drama is gripping, and the feels are strong.
½ August 20, 2017
Motivational, full of sensation from Clint Eastwood. Hillary Swank's role as this fighter brought me a tear and a heartfelt performance.
½ July 27, 2017
Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Hilary Swank -- if that is not the recipe for a great film I don't know what is.
½ July 25, 2017
I give this movie 2 1/2 stars because I liked the first half, but the second half and the end wasn't good. I thought I was getting a boxing movie and was going to give me an uplifting story. Instead it was a boxing movie that didn't offer enough tough boxing matches and instead made me depressed. Clint Eastwood was very good and the movie was well directed, but I just didn't like the overall story.