Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 8.6/10 - 4.3/5
December 29, 2016
I would rather be forced to ride a Segway through a four-year-old's funeral while dressed as Chewbacca than put myself through this again.
½ December 15, 2016
Amazing film. The first half was great but then it stepped up a level. So much heart. Clint Eastwood and Morgan freeman had great chemistry together! A much watch
December 4, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is directed by Clint Eastwood, and it stars Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman in a boxing film about Maggie (Hilary Swank) that wants to be a boxer and wants to be trained by Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood), but he doesn't want to train her because he doesn't train girls. When he sucks it up, he'll help her for whatever he can for her to be at the top. I remember this being one of the films that I wanted to see for years, but there was no way that I could watch it unless I buy it, and I didn't want to because I don't know whether the film is good or not. All of a sudden however, I got to record the film from DirecTV when I saw it, and finally got the chance to watch it, and it lived up to the hype for me. Hilary Swank is terrific that I'm glad that she got the awards for her. Clint Eastwood does the scruffy voice as usual, but he's always good at it, and the direction by him is also great. Morgan Freeman plays his character a bit deeper than his usual characters which I like, and it's really unexpected to see Jay Baruchel in this, and seeing him play a person that's not bright, but not dumb, is different, and he does a great job at it that doesn't feel stereotypical. The characters are very developed that you enjoy them very much, and the writing by Paul Haggis understands about the main character not having a good enough job and is just willing to do anything to do what she dreams to do, while also flowing out from the other boxing films that makes this stand out and also not predictable, which I'm surprised to see that from an underdog story. It gives enough fight scenes that are entertaining to watch that's not boring, and the chemistry between Hilary Swank and Clint Eastwood is funny, interesting, and very sweet that they really care about each other, and not in a relationship type. Now, let's get to the ending. I'm not going to spoil it, but let me just say, that it had a lot of controversy that some people didn't like that type of ending that it had, so for me, it's really hard to know whether it was the right choice or not, not film quality wise, but character decision per se. It's very effective no doubt, but it wasn't like messing with your emotional strings. So for me, it's not saying that you should agree to this ending, but you understand why they went with that, and it shows that they'll be consequences to it. In the end, Million Dollar Baby is honestly one of my favorite boxing movies and is up there with the greatest Rocky films.
November 29, 2016
This is one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen who the hell in their right mind thought this pg version of saw was worth a damn. I'm down sure lucky I didn't waste a penny on this pity party.
November 10, 2016
HATED THIS MOVIE!!
So wrongly advertised!!
I thought it would be a Rocky kind of film!!
Gratuitous heartbreaking sadness!
Sadest movie ever. Wanted to walk out but husband wanted to stay.
Why is it that if a movie is sooo sad it gets great reviews and ratings!
½ November 6, 2016
Despite being as dramatic and emotionally powerful as the best of them, Million Dollar Baby is not your typical sports drama. There's plenty of elements of a Rocky style underdog story here, such as Maggie Fitzgerald coming from nothing to win everything against all odds, but the way writer Paul Haggis and director Clint Eastwood tell this story never makes it feel derivative in a genre full of familiar tropes. In fact, the film never truly has time to fall into standard sports drama territory: this is a very multi-faceted story that never focuses just on Fitzgerald's story, but interweaves multiple narratives and character progressions into one cohesive narrative. Fitzgerald, played by a charismatic Hilary Swank truly giving her all here, is, reluctantly, taken under the wing of Frankie Dunn, an uncooperative boxing trainer with a long history behind him. Dunn struggles with his own obstacles, largely rooted in struggles with religion alongside a growing paternal relationship with Fitzgerald, and Eastwood plays the character with a warm sense of heart behind his grizzled face. He has a friendly but occasionally strained relationship with a fellow employee at the boxing gym, Eddie "Scrap-Iron" Dupris. Morgan Freeman plays Scrap, and instills his familiar presence in a quiet that is both subtle and powerful. The film takes a strong right turn midway through the film, one that most sports dramas never find themselves delving into, and one that ultimately builds into a heart-breaking conclusion to the arcs of these three stories. What Eastwood has crafted is a stunning piece of film that stands as some of his finest work both in front of and behind the camera.
October 6, 2016
Clint Eastwood is at it again. But this time, he takes a realistic film surrounding his character, a boxing trainer, reluctantly training Hilary Swank, while being pressured by Morgan Freeman. Among him are three early appearances from Michael Pena, Anthony Mackie, and Jay Baruchel. I have to be honest. Excellent writing, excellent acting, excellent cinematography. Everything about Million Dollar Baby is excellent.
½ September 22, 2016
Clint Eastwood often takes pride in the fact that many of his significant films are completely CGI Free & purely focused on Story-Telling.

This film is a beautiful & soulful film that many think will be just be a 'Girl Rocky' but goes in an unexpected & powerful direction.

A moving film of a Father & Daughter story that has a powerhouse performance by Hillary Swank & probably one of the best supporting actor performances on screen by Morgan Freeman. A wonderful that is just as satisfying years after than I originally saw it.
September 8, 2016
Just the dynamics between Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank are powerful enough for me to remember them as one of the best chemistries between two well-developed characters in cinematic history.
August 20, 2016
Frankie Dunn (played by Clint Eastwood) owns and runs a boxing gym in Los Angeles, as well as managing some of the boxers there. Working for him is Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Morgan Freeman). One day he is approached by Maggie Fitzgerald (Hillary Swank) who wants him to train her. He declines. Undeterred, Maggie joins his gym, hoping that he'll notice her and train. He is equally perseverant, knocking back all her requests to train her. However, eventually she wears him down and he trains her and manages her fight career. Her career goes very well and she now has a shot at the WBA title. Her opponent, the champion, does not play fair though...

Brilliant beyond description. Much much more than simply a boxing movie. It's a movie about friendship, looking out for one another and caring for those you love. Wonderful character depth and development and relationship development. Made by a twist nobody would see coming, and an ending that is emotional beyond compare.

Superb performance by Hillary Swank in the lead role, for which she won her second Oscar. Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are also great in their roles - Eastwood got a Best Actor Oscar nomination and Freeman won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Freeman also provides the narration for the movie, and this is always a good thing.

The movie itself deservedly won the Best Picture Oscar in 2005 and Eastwood won Best Director.

This was to be Clint Eastwood's magnum opus and came in the middle of a purple patch for him. Before this he has made Mystic River and after was to come Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Changeling, Gran Torino and Invictus.
August 9, 2016
Million Dollar Baby traz um roteiro emocionante e surpreendente acompanhado da direção sob-medida de Clint Eastwood e atuação competente de Hilary Swank.
August 5, 2016
Eastwood not always does it for me, but when he does bring his A game you get movies like this. It's one of those films where you'll be left inspired and blue witnessing the triumph and fall of the main character. It is a human story, with human emotions for people who appreciate the human side of film.
July 12, 2016
One of the best movies and performances of 2000s. Superb directing and acting. Narrated by one and only M. Freeman.
½ June 26, 2016
Not like any boxing film you would see, blessed with the assured direction of Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman's narration!
½ June 18, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is too depressing, but mostly very powerful in its emotion and so well written with a superb script. Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank all gave amazing performances, their characters are so well developed, the drama here is incredibly engaging and moving to watch, the score is great and the directing is fantastic. It is such a stupendous movie that is one of the most deserved Best Picture winners of the decade.
June 8, 2016
Simplemente una maravilla.
Una dirección sublime de Clint Eastwood, actuaciones de primera categoría que trasmite de una forma solida a cada personaje, un guion que supera todos los elementos de superación deportiva y da un toque mas humano.
May 28, 2016
Sad movie, sad ending but great story..deep and impacting
May 9, 2016
Niet slecht, iets te voorspelbaar.
½ April 29, 2016