Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

October 6, 2016
Clint Eastwood is at it again. But this time, he takes a realistic film surrounding his character, a boxing trainer, reluctantly training Hilary Swank, while being pressured by Morgan Freeman. Among him are three early appearances from Michael Pena, Anthony Mackie, and Jay Baruchel. I have to be honest. Excellent writing, excellent acting, excellent cinematography. Everything about Million Dollar Baby is excellent.
½ September 22, 2016
Clint Eastwood often takes pride in the fact that many of his significant films are completely CGI Free & purely focused on Story-Telling.

This film is a beautiful & soulful film that many think will be just be a 'Girl Rocky' but goes in an unexpected & powerful direction.

A moving film of a Father & Daughter story that has a powerhouse performance by Hillary Swank & probably one of the best supporting actor performances on screen by Morgan Freeman. A wonderful that is just as satisfying years after than I originally saw it.
September 8, 2016
Just the dynamics between Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank are powerful enough for me to remember them as one of the best chemistries between two well-developed characters in cinematic history.
August 20, 2016
Frankie Dunn (played by Clint Eastwood) owns and runs a boxing gym in Los Angeles, as well as managing some of the boxers there. Working for him is Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Morgan Freeman). One day he is approached by Maggie Fitzgerald (Hillary Swank) who wants him to train her. He declines. Undeterred, Maggie joins his gym, hoping that he'll notice her and train. He is equally perseverant, knocking back all her requests to train her. However, eventually she wears him down and he trains her and manages her fight career. Her career goes very well and she now has a shot at the WBA title. Her opponent, the champion, does not play fair though...

Brilliant beyond description. Much much more than simply a boxing movie. It's a movie about friendship, looking out for one another and caring for those you love. Wonderful character depth and development and relationship development. Made by a twist nobody would see coming, and an ending that is emotional beyond compare.

Superb performance by Hillary Swank in the lead role, for which she won her second Oscar. Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman are also great in their roles - Eastwood got a Best Actor Oscar nomination and Freeman won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Freeman also provides the narration for the movie, and this is always a good thing.

The movie itself deservedly won the Best Picture Oscar in 2005 and Eastwood won Best Director.

This was to be Clint Eastwood's magnum opus and came in the middle of a purple patch for him. Before this he has made Mystic River and after was to come Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Changeling, Gran Torino and Invictus.
August 9, 2016
Million Dollar Baby traz um roteiro emocionante e surpreendente acompanhado da direção sob-medida de Clint Eastwood e atuação competente de Hilary Swank.
August 5, 2016
Eastwood not always does it for me, but when he does bring his A game you get movies like this. It's one of those films where you'll be left inspired and blue witnessing the triumph and fall of the main character. It is a human story, with human emotions for people who appreciate the human side of film.
July 12, 2016
One of the best movies and performances of 2000s. Superb directing and acting. Narrated by one and only M. Freeman.
½ June 26, 2016
Not like any boxing film you would see, blessed with the assured direction of Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman's narration!
½ June 18, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is too depressing, but mostly very powerful in its emotion and so well written with a superb script. Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank all gave amazing performances, their characters are so well developed, the drama here is incredibly engaging and moving to watch, the score is great and the directing is fantastic. It is such a stupendous movie that is one of the most deserved Best Picture winners of the decade.
June 8, 2016
Simplemente una maravilla.
Una dirección sublime de Clint Eastwood, actuaciones de primera categoría que trasmite de una forma solida a cada personaje, un guion que supera todos los elementos de superación deportiva y da un toque mas humano.
May 28, 2016
Sad movie, sad ending but great story..deep and impacting
May 9, 2016
Niet slecht, iets te voorspelbaar.
½ April 29, 2016
Really solid film. The story hits hard. 4.5/5
½ April 27, 2016
4.5/5. Really good film.
March 28, 2016

Million Dollar Baby is a powerful and deeply moving tale about dreams, redemption, family, and the strength of the human spirit to endure and to prevail. Truly unforgettable.
½ March 9, 2016
It has a better ending than "Rocky," but it's mostly just an echo of Eastwood's previous works.
½ February 28, 2016
After watching Million Dollar Baby I don't know whether or not to feel inspired or drained. Clint Eastwood is very good at making emotional screenplays and getting an audience engaged in a story. Million Dollar Baby is no exception. The story follows boxing coach Frankie Dunn (played by Clint Eastwood) who is one of the best coaches in the world of boxing. His coaching career changes forever when he meets a down on her luck woman named Maggie, who really just wants to fight and make a living. What this movie REALLY succeeds at doing is making you feel about the characters. Maggie is a character you just wanna hug. She is a fractured person for sure but that's what makes her so lovable. She's determined, inspired, feisty, and considerate. All these factors make a character feel human. Maybe that's why these characters are so well respected, because they act humane and not like actors playing characters. Frankie is another interesting character, while he's not the most huggable person in the movie, I still felt for him a lot. He seems gruff and kind of a crotchety old man on the surface, but I could visibly see his passion and feelings, and as a result makes a well rounded character. Morgan Freeman and Jay Baruchel were memorable side characters that I thought gave this movie definition. What I mean by that is that this movie found what it wants to establish itself as and that's an underdog story. Maggie is an underdog because of her past and no previous boxing experience. Frankie is an underdog due to training a woman in the ring when he's only trained men. Eddie got his butt kicked and ended his career and shows how he's determined to just go on in life and forget. I think that's a really good message in a film that you'd expect to be kinda grisly in the first place. The chemistry between Maggie and Frankie is unbearably amazing. While I was watching, I couldn't believe how well these two played off each other. Their dialogue during their arguments or pre-fight scenes were reminiscent of Mickey and Rocky. I really enjoyed the aspect of how Maggie felt like Frankie was the father she never had and Maggie was the daughter that Frankie felt disconnected from. The story, as stated before, is not something to be taken lightly. This film will emotionally drain you no matter who you are. The ending to this film will bring the strongest to tears because of how gutsy it is. When you think it gets bad at one part, next thing you know it gets worse and vise versa for when things begin to look up. I feel that Million Dollar Baby is a very well written film, it wraps everything in the end together to connecting it to key events throughout the runtime. This is the kind of movie that will have you standing up and cheering and then the next have you bawling your eyes out. This film is very well acted, well written, the dialogue is well written, the characters are humane, and the overall result is one heck of a boxing film. A-
½ February 28, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is a great movie and by far one of the greatest boxing movies I've ever watched. The acting is just MIND-BLOWING, and i could say that it would also be a great movies to watch with your family too. Although, this movie could have been made better by focusing a little more on the training part and the early life of Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank). But overall its a must-watch to hollywood lovers.
February 19, 2016
With a grade "A" cast, the film tells a beautiful story around a boxer and a trainer. The ending is a bit controversial.
February 3, 2016
Nothing in your pocket but a goal to win. When we do it all wrong to have someone tell us otherwise what is right. What we see, we shouldn't see. fighting beyond endurance, pain, physical capability is the magic of boxing.
The bag is constantly moving, moving towards you, all around, away, you don't want to hit it when it comes toward you, it's going to smother your punches away. keep rotating, keep your shoulders back, tuck that chin, give some power shots in it.]
Able to fight in the ring and out, and know when to stay down when your beat.
Whom is a trainer to you? business or personal? handed down knowledge for what? When throwing a punch is survival for some, and some to win, and others but a dreamer.
boxing is an unnatural act, it's backwards, we move our legs left and step into our feet & toes goes right, we move our legs right, step into into our feet & toes goes left. knowing how to stand, keep them legs under your shoulders. Make them feel it in your bones, only programmed to listen to you and no one else. learn to keep your balance and knock it off your opponent. Generate momentum of your right toe. flex your knees when firing a jab. fight back in up, so your opponent doesn't come after you. learn to breathe under pressure. the body knows what fighters dont, knowing how to protect itself. it takes over what you don't know and reacts on its own. (knockout mechanism) And repeat.... born fighter.
We are in this ring of life, no breaking out of, naturally we are born into. Living with simple truths to what we know, and what it takes and what we have.... age, strength, money, knowledge. when we are not in the position to be fooled or provided false hope, only 100%.

when your trainer knows whom is on top, the greatest contenders and only know if we are ready. Come all this way, for some to use you, take advantage of that skill, and opportunize. For others, it's more than that, breaking the trainer & fighter bond, when its all over when you have taught all there is to know about fighting, what more. When fighters are no different then other fighters, the technique passed down from one fighter to the next, all contained in a ring full of history of boxing. your trainer knows you, because he not only trained you the technique, but mentally and physically what your capable of doing.
All fighters try to remain on the top, know everything, overcome anything in the ring and in life. Can't argue with a fighter without a grudge fight. Can go round to round, in control of their opponent and round you take.
trainers whom take a risk at you, but not entirely confident, to see what you are capable of. knowing your fighters determination above all is worth the risk. A trainer needs to protect its fighter, Concern for them, and provide for them when they can't do it alone.
When there is not only rare hungry, barewood & bone fighters like yourself that are great fighters.
When caring less about titles, wins, ranks when the next opponent is just fun curiosity to see what we lack or what good we are.
Some risks we can't take back, if we fight, we make the risk on our own without burdening others. Some risks we better not take not for the loss in the ring, but loss in whom we want around in the ring. Being a fighter means you have a team of trainers behind you no matter what along the way, we protect ourselves other ways and ourselves. when no one understands who you are but your trainer and you. we try to escape thatblife, and try to help others too, but that life ain't for us all. We have changed with time, we are a league of our own after fighting the best elsewhere and improving on who we are.
When intimidation and reputation and stories means nothing when your a more respectable fighter and able to beat them. when years of training doesn't beat the best training. 2 fighters both evenly matched don't want to return to that life they wished to escape, take the turn for the worst...
When the trainer becomes the fighter for the fighter. When they are more than your fighter, but your own flesh, blood and bone. You share more than fighting in common, a connection both still make each other a trainer and fighter beyond the ring, beyond fighting. we know exactly whose been by our side the whole time. when we are losing the fight and know when to stay down, and return to that lifeless life we once lived. No matter what other life we can provide for others, there is only 1 life that makes us truly alive, worth living, makes us truly part of this world.... if it's boxing then that was it. We fight ourselves, the burdens we carry are heavy enough that it kills us. We fight to overcome these burdens, redemption, new life, selflessness, and fulfillment of that void in our life. When the burden is too much and unbreakable more than anyone can imagine, we given in. How many defeats in our lives do we say enough is enough, time to hang it up.