Million Dollar Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Million Dollar Baby Reviews

May 26, 2017
Inspiring and Heartbreaking film. It's unique because it almost does the opposite of most films where the struggle is in the beginning and triumph in the end. The sense of real life, chance and ambition resonated throughout the film. Swank was a kind hardworking all heart girl with no malice in her at all. just ambition to be the best she could be. Outside the ring she was sweet and took care of her undeserving family. The relationship between her and Eastwood was palpable as he progressively saw her as a daughter who was capable yet as much as he tried to make sure she didn't get hurt his biggest fears come to pass. Freeman was shawshank smooth with that same sense of wisdom. Inspiring and heartbreaking. Amazing film.
½ May 21, 2017
One heck of a movie and I can't believe I missed this movie so long.
Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood & Morgan Freeman have given one of their best performances. The movie will take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. Watch out for the 2 plot twists - will happen when you least expect them. Must watch movie for sports fans and Eastwood fans as well :) !!
½ May 21, 2017
A different kind film.great work from actor/director clint eastwood
May 20, 2017
Clint Eastwood stars and directs this 'brutal' boxing film from 2004 that won him an Oscar.
I say brutal in the sense that the boxing choreography is so realistic. Franchises like Rocky/Creed take note.
Eastwood plays boxing trainer Frankie Dunn. The best cuts man in the business he is described early on.
Dunn compares favouribly with other notable Eastwood characters from film history such as Harry Callaghan and The Man With No Name.
In this film his character eventually concedes to the pressure from female boxing hopeful Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) and trains her.
Theoughout the film there is a rather annoying (in my opinion) presence and narration by Morgan Freeman as ex-boxer Eddie.
Eastwood has a commanding presence as in all his great films that really adds strength to the film.
When watching the end credits I even noticed him being credited for the music?
A film that has slipped under the radar for many I am sure but one which I recommend a viewing.
May 7, 2017
Hillary Swank is not everyone's cup of tea for sure but if you can tolerate her face then this is a great movie to watch.
April 23, 2017
Clint Eastwood directed a masterpiece. Million Dollar Baby is an incredible film that has excellent performances an impressive direction and a perfect and touching story.
½ April 14, 2017
I'm not much for 'sports' movies, but this has enough drama and story and excellent actors and characters to make it a great movie!
April 9, 2017
Hilary Swank was perfect for this role. She plays a dirt poor girl fighter who desperately needs a trainer. Then she convinces one to train her. I enjoyed it very much until the ending. It shouldn't have lasted so long. I'd have cut about 15 minutes off.
½ April 9, 2017
Man this was good. What took me so long to watch it?
April 6, 2017
One of the best boxing movies and one of the best movies of the 21st Century.
½ April 2, 2017
racist movie: there are two bad guys and as if by chance, they are both black ... No surprise comming from the racist "republican" Clint Eastwood
March 26, 2017
The most depressing movie I've ever seen.
March 23, 2017
Clint Eastwood directs what seems like a well made, but conventional boxing film for the first half, but I suddenly turns into a much deeper film that looks at how people deal with loss and how tragic events can eventually come back to haunt someone
½ February 28, 2017
It's much darker than "Rocky," but it can't help but feel like an echo of that film.
February 20, 2017
Great movie Clint Eastwood is an Unbelievable actor. What a great cast.
February 19, 2017
Thought the boxing was much more realistic in this film than in Cinderella Man, but I wasn't as moved by the story. Overall, I really liked the film and think anyone should go see it.
February 12, 2017
Outstanding character study and extremely well played movie but its controversial ending really hampers this movie to be an absolute triumph.
December 29, 2016
I would rather be forced to ride a Segway through a four-year-old's funeral while dressed as Chewbacca than put myself through this again.
½ December 15, 2016
Amazing film. The first half was great but then it stepped up a level. So much heart. Clint Eastwood and Morgan freeman had great chemistry together! A much watch
December 4, 2016
Million Dollar Baby is directed by Clint Eastwood, and it stars Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman in a boxing film about Maggie (Hilary Swank) that wants to be a boxer and wants to be trained by Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood), but he doesn't want to train her because he doesn't train girls. When he sucks it up, he'll help her for whatever he can for her to be at the top. I remember this being one of the films that I wanted to see for years, but there was no way that I could watch it unless I buy it, and I didn't want to because I don't know whether the film is good or not. All of a sudden however, I got to record the film from DirecTV when I saw it, and finally got the chance to watch it, and it lived up to the hype for me. Hilary Swank is terrific that I'm glad that she got the awards for her. Clint Eastwood does the scruffy voice as usual, but he's always good at it, and the direction by him is also great. Morgan Freeman plays his character a bit deeper than his usual characters which I like, and it's really unexpected to see Jay Baruchel in this, and seeing him play a person that's not bright, but not dumb, is different, and he does a great job at it that doesn't feel stereotypical. The characters are very developed that you enjoy them very much, and the writing by Paul Haggis understands about the main character not having a good enough job and is just willing to do anything to do what she dreams to do, while also flowing out from the other boxing films that makes this stand out and also not predictable, which I'm surprised to see that from an underdog story. It gives enough fight scenes that are entertaining to watch that's not boring, and the chemistry between Hilary Swank and Clint Eastwood is funny, interesting, and very sweet that they really care about each other, and not in a relationship type. Now, let's get to the ending. I'm not going to spoil it, but let me just say, that it had a lot of controversy that some people didn't like that type of ending that it had, so for me, it's really hard to know whether it was the right choice or not, not film quality wise, but character decision per se. It's very effective no doubt, but it wasn't like messing with your emotional strings. So for me, it's not saying that you should agree to this ending, but you understand why they went with that, and it shows that they'll be consequences to it. In the end, Million Dollar Baby is honestly one of my favorite boxing movies and is up there with the greatest Rocky films.