Mission: Impossible III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission: Impossible III Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This is the one blip on the Mission: Impossible radar; a film that for once doesn't let it's over-complicated plot ruin any chance of true emotion. It would seem love is the way to bind everything together, and because of this central relationship I really cared for Ethan Hunt for the first time whilst the story felt even more high-stakes than usual because of it's character importance. Does that mean it's gone all soft and lost the things that redeemed the predecessors though? Oh hell no, this is still one brilliant spy-thriller at it's core and actually contains the grittiest action in the series so far. The beauty of this one is that those moments not only have meaning, but they understand it's not always a time to take things seriously.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Perhaps fans looking for the fun, grander spectacle may be dissapointed, as this movie takes itself down a very different path.
VERDICT: Straying from the norm means Abrams' Mission: Impossible 3 has some real heart. This is by far my favourite of the bunch.
November 29, 2016
They keep getting better. Love Tom Cruise in these movies.
November 26, 2016
Comes with many plot-holes that it knows it doesn't have to fill, because it's just a fun action movie.
November 22, 2016
Newcomer director J.J. Abrams does his turn of directing Mission Impossible 3 with different writers this time, including the director himself, which they created a great movie that gets the series a bit back to the wheel. When it starts with a tense scene already that's effective, I knew that it was in good hands. Tom Cruise does a great job as an action hero, and can do drama very well. Some of the actors are pretty good, and some of them were just there and passable. There were some moments that I did find predictable, however, there are some great plot twists too that actually got me. The action scenes are thrilling to watch, and some of the humor got a chuckle out of me, even through there are some odd humor too. The past characters are still great, but some of the characters were just underdeveloped, except for the villain who's the best villain of the series so far. Granted the film doesn't give out enough backstory for him, but it's Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance that makes it a menacing and memorable character. As is, Mission Impossible 3 gives out some fine entertainment that would give action fans something to look forward to if they're bored.
November 4, 2016
First rate action! Tom Cruise is still an awesome actor!
October 28, 2016
I think most people forget about this entry in the MI franchise, but it's actually really good, and J.J. Abrams directorial debut!
½ October 27, 2016
I liked this. Much better than the next.
October 22, 2016
A great spy film and the first good MI film in the series.
October 16, 2016
The good news is as long as Cruise has a supporting actors like Crudup, Rhames, and Hoffman in his films, people will watch them just for that. The bad news is, unfortunately for Cruise, he lost his best asset in Hoffman.
½ October 14, 2016
It's interesting to note that each Mission Impossible film seems to be very reflective of the action trends, looks an feels of its time. This being a super glossy, slick effort, that feels just as much like a high end music video than anything else.
October 10, 2016
Apres un 2 plutot boum boum explosion, on revient avec un film d'espion beaucoup plus controle, un scenar bien cousu et un mechant qui a du style.
September 18, 2016
Loved it. Bridge scene reminded me of True Lies.
September 17, 2016
After the dumb MI 2 I had wondered if there would be another good Mission Impossible movie. This movie brings MI back and was much better than past movies before it.
½ August 30, 2016
The best Mission Impossible yet! A thrill ride with depth from beginning to end.
August 16, 2016
I would say it is the strongest entry of the first three Mission: Impossible films (the only ones I've seen to date). Even a decade later, it's strengths are still that which the franchise has always been known for, and its weakness are much the same. Much more akin plot-wise to the first film, M:I:III has the one advantage over its predecessors that it's villain is much stronger than any we have seen before. Though arguably not the primary antagonist, Seymour-Hoffman (RIP) is actually pretty terrifying as international arms dealer, Owen Davian.

That said, while this third entry is certainly the most engaging thus far, it still had me checking my watch before the end of the movie, so I can hardly give it a glowing review.
August 3, 2016
Incredible! As Thrilling As the TV Show Used To Be!

Originally written May 7, 2006--
Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise), retired from being an IMF team leader and engaged to be married to his girlfriend, Julia (Michelle Monaghan) assembles a team to face a ruthless arms and information broker intending to sell a mysterious dangerous object known as "The Rabbit's Foot".

After the disappointment of the second Mission: Impossible movie, Tom Cruise didn't want to just hand the director reins over to just anyone. But when I heard that Cruise called J.J. Abrams--offering the directorial role for the film after having binge-watched the first two seasons of Alias--I was ecstatic! Alias is one of my most favorite shows, not just because it is so action-packed, but primarily because of the well-developed characters! Abrams and Cruise are a dream pairing. This new film is so awesome! As Owen Gleiberman of Entertainment Weekly states, Mission: Impossible III is "a gratifyingly clever, booby-trapped thriller that has enough fun and imagination and dash to more than justify its existence." Two thumbs way, way up!
July 27, 2016
It's good. Not better than Ghost Protocol (obviously) and it's just under Rogue Nation. But this one's biggest flaw is that it's way too funny.
July 23, 2016
Mission Impossible III is overly reliant on the blockbuster formula, and too dark for Mission Impossible.
July 22, 2016
Easily not the best mission, but thanks to JJ Abrams direction and an absolute menacing performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman this movie is more than deserving of repeat viewings.