Mission: Impossible III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mission: Impossible III Reviews

½ December 5, 2017
We had the De Palma film, then the ridiculous John Woo entry so for this one we went for a rebrand 'MI3'! it's a bit more serious with the late Seymour Hoffman playing a genuinely cruel bad guy and to be fair, it's a decent action movie. It does still have a few of those scenes where they put on a full face mask and magically look exactly like the person which as I've said before is a massively shit plot device. Apart from that, a decent entry.
November 20, 2017
Not bad at all. After the John Woo craptastic crapfest that was MI2, Lost creator JJ Abrams takes over and makes a flick that is at least as good as the first one, possibly better in some respects. Some real surprises early in the flick start things off fast, and it keeps up the pace pretty well from there on. Sure, it's mostly same-old same-old, but it was fun and action-packed. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was fine as a villain, but was really not even in the movie that much. Tom Cruise was just Tom Cruise as usual, but for two hours I was able to forget about all his offscreen stupidity. You know what this really felt like? 24: The Movie. ...which they are apparently going to make. It should end up being much like MI3, and I think that'd be just fine.
J.J. Abrams, creator of Lost, takes on the third instalment of the action franchise, which sees human yo-yo Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) in rare human mode as he plans on making an early retirement to be with his nurse wife (Michelle Monaghan), only to be go on another impossible mission as he plans catching sadistic arms dealer Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman). To aid him are Ving Rhames, Jonathon Rhys-Meyers and Maggie Q, and, this being a third, there are gadgets, explosions, sets and plot twists like now other.

You've got to hand it to Abrams - he certainly knows how to keep an audience on their toes. Drawing on a few of his popular plot devices from Lost (flashbacks, a crescendo to the turning point), he sets us up neatly into his little world, where Ethan Hunt is now a man trying to live a normal life. Whilst that scenario may be a hard to buy, this is redeemed by the many action scenes in the film which are each exhilarating. To go into detail would be spoiling it, but let's just say there is an extremely breathtaking sequence involving a fulcrum, an amusing one involving Tom Cruise disguising himself as someone, and lastly, but by no means least a helicopter chase which is utterly awe-inspiring and barely lets the audience pause for breath. All this, and you get a Michael Giacchino score that perfectly blends action, anxiety, fear and anger.

The cast in themselves are a treat. Tom Cruise, though not given the most trying of tasks in playing an action hero, does a good job with his usual intensity. In the action scenes, his facial expressions are concentrated and focused and utterly convincing. However, Cruise fails in having any genuine chemistry with Michelle Monaghan, for and the romance comes across as rather bland. This is not aided with the poor writing in these scenes. Ving Rhames, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Maggie Q merely look cool as his helpers, and Laurence Fisburne and Billy Crudup successfully bring that edge of moral ambiguity to their characters. And Philip Seymour Hoffman is excellently malicious as the elusive and extremely dangerous Davian, shining in his lizard-eyed role and bringing some genuine terror to the villain. His scenes aside Tom Cruise are superb, as they practically tremble in tension and quiet hatred on both characters parts.

You will go to see Mission Impossible III expecting some grand-scale set pieces, and you will not be disappointed here. Each one of the four is masterfully executed, with a breezy slickness that is both cool and exciting. We're talking non-stop action, occasionally interspersed with those corny Hollywood love formulae, cruising as "emotion." Its big, its bombastic, and it could be the Summer blockbuster of the year.When you walk into a movie expecting to be blown away by death defying stunts and tremendous special effects, it's easy to be disappointed. What a monumental task directors had in making MI3 even more over-the-top and more spectacular than the first two. Mission Accomplished. (Sorry.) Tom Cruise takes Ethan Hunt to new heights. Fishbourne is great as the ambiguously dirty IMF leader. But the best actor in the movie is Philip Seymour Hoffman. Not many actors can take a role that's more one-dimensional than Doctor Evil and turn it into a deeply layered performance. From an acting standpoint, there was almost a feeling that he was too good for this movie and the actors around him. He doesn't breathe the same air as this cast, not even Tom Cruise. The women in the movie are a dichotomy. On the one hand you have Bahar Soomekh, an unknown actress who kicks ass and takes names on par with the bad boys, Cruise, and Ving Rhames. On the other you have Keri Russell in a part we've seen too many times in this kind of movie. The wide-eyed innocent who becomes the villain's prize and the hero's salvation. Keri Russell and Michelle Monaghan spend most of this movie tied to a chair. I hope they're not method actresses. They would have to spend the last year of filming at home, bound and gagged in the kitchen. At least they made Monaghan a doctor, so we know she's smart, even if she's so nave she thinks her husband works for the department of transportation. Forget the love story, forget the corruption at IMF, forget the plot entirely. None of it matters. All that matters is "how are we going to get in" and "how are we going to get out" and the magnificent twists and turns that follow. Some action movies spend way too much time milking the set up of a weak script before the explosions and the stunts finally kick in. Others dull your senses with one mindless montage of violence and car chases, without a point to be found. MI3 walks the line perfectly...the story is simple enough to understand but well-thought out enough to not poke gaping holes in it. Now let's get to the action. MI3 manages the action sequences smartly, expertly getting your heart rate (and hopes) up and then bring you crashing back down to earth. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, followed by a 10 minutes of blah blah blah. "You shouldn't get married," Ving says to Tom in the middle of a dangerous operation. "You know guys who do what we do can't be married." By the way, this is another well-worn action film technique. Inject casual talk between principals during the most intense and dangerous scenes. It shows that they're so highly-skilled and confident, they can chat nonchalantly about relationships while in the middle of an elaborate Vatican City break-in. Thank you Quentin. Thank you Bruce Willis. But the breaks in the action work. They give you a chance to buy into the suspense each time, from your feet up. Acknowledging that you're drained from the previous sequence, they give you time to catch your breath and then come at you all over again. The air-to-ground assault on the Washington Bridge is astounding. Cruise attempting to catapult between two skyscrapers in Shanghais is beyond belief. Watching him descend way too fast from said skyscraper in a flimsy parachute, knowing he's going to crash down onto the busy freeway and immediately be run over by a gas tanker? Priceless. Remarkable stunts, solid acting, and a villain that may be the best ever in this genre (Hoffman) makes MI3 the best of the series and maybe the best action movie ever made. Until 4, that is.
November 7, 2017
This movies ending was awesome!
½ November 4, 2017
good but not memorable
½ November 2, 2017
Both Cruise and the M:I series return to their roots in this entry. This creative team gives us great action, spy gadgets and impressive stunt-work. Throw in a great supporting cast and this one actually might outshine the first film of the series.
September 14, 2017
Ci risiamo, nuovo episodio per questa serie che sembra stampare film fotocopia. Non c' molto da dire, la serie non sta n migliorando n peggiorando, visto che pi o meno i film soffrono degli stessi problemi avendo comunque gli stessi pregi. Questo film in generale non brilla, ma intrattiene: scene d'azione caotiche e movimentate non possono essere definite innovative, per riescono a divertire senza problemi; la trama piuttosto banale e i personaggi svolgono sempre gli stessi ruoli riciclando attori sempre diversi. Come tutti gli altri, il risultato complessivo resta sufficiente.
September 6, 2017
Meh. The first one was good. The third one...no. I really don't know. The second one is burned forever in my mind for being horrible.
½ August 30, 2017
The first really good Mission Impossible movie. Finally found the balance between a suspenseful storyline and over-the-top-action
August 3, 2017
Even if I like M:I 2, I have to say this is a MUCH BETTER movie than the last one. And surprisingly, this sequel is kind of superior movie compared to the first one. But even then, I still have to admit these was a great movies, much like this one.
July 28, 2017
The third Mission Impossible is perhaps the most unrelenting and brutal of the bunch, as J. J. Abrams nails the action as well as the emotional peril of being Ethan Hunt.
July 26, 2017
Although it may be a nonstop blast of action and stunts , M:I:III succeeds at its ultimate goal of providing an entirely different view of the mission. All the while throwing enough plot material into the mix to maintain the balance for a good, bad script on the writers part.
June 28, 2017
Exciting, suspenseful, and pure thrills make this a great ride. It's definitely better than the first two. J.J. Abrams takes the franchise for a more dark turn and it does end up working for the better. Also, the movie has a good enough premise and a great villain as well. This movie also delivers the strongest villain from the series, portrayed brilliantly by Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I think it's the turning point of the franchise and I think it's a fast paced and fun spy movie. You can't miss it if you enjoy this series.
½ June 18, 2017
This isn't my favorite one but still very good
½ June 13, 2017
As another series of Tom Cruise' work, i admire his most movies. However, this movie could have possibly been more interesting than this. It was just full of action scenes to fascinate viewership. I know this is all about action, but I'm a bit depressed with it
June 3, 2017
An improvement over the second film, Mission Impossible III boasts cool action and stunts, each character is allowed their time to shine in the spotlight rather than the film being all about Tom Cruise all the time allowing the audience to care for most of them and Philip Seymour Hoffman serves as an enjoyable villain. In this film, Cruise actually finds himself in sticky situations and doesn't quite get out immediately in contrast to its predecessors. No seriously, he's practically interrogated in some scenes and it doesn't turn out to be just some dude with the Ethan Hunt's mask put on him. Now it's time for some criticism, yay (sarcasm alert). Although Hoffman serves as a better villain than Jon Voight and Dougray Scott, I felt that he never got as much screen time as he should've, I mean his name comes second in the starring list for Pete's sake. Also, I felt that the finale paled in comparison to other finales in action movies as in I was expecting a bigger battle with glorious gunfire and epic music playing in the background and stuff like that. I still feel pretty glad that I saw this film and I can practically praise it as a film that demonstrated director J.J. Abrams' ability to resurrect a movie franchise believed to have almost died with the previous film. Don't believe me? Look at what he did with the 2009 film adaptation of Star Trek and 2015's highly anticipated Star Wars Episode VII:The Force Awakens. He's that great. A thrilling film that offers enough entertainment value to be considered a good movie.
April 25, 2017
A significant improvement over the previous film, Mission: Impossible III benefits from J.J. Abrams' strong directing with great acting, fantastic action sequences, and a strong emotional story.
April 19, 2017
Back to form for the Mission Impossible franchise. Ethan Hunt is the perfect super spy. The chemistry between Tom Cruise and Philip Seymour Hoffman is undeniably amazing! The unusual villain is a great change of pace. Most villains in spy films are physical threats that don't pose much of a mental game. Hoffman is not that case. He is the exact opposite and it's a refreshing change to the spy genre. J.J. Abrams directs this film that should serve as a template to spy films in the future. If you are a fan of action/thrillers then this movie is the one for you.
½ April 15, 2017
170415: Though this film is much better than the last, I still can't get my head around Tom Cruize. I find him unconvincing as a hero, as an actor. Philip Seymour Hoffman is intriguing as the villain but that intrigue dissipates as the film progresses. Finally, the story just left me with too many questions, questions that I just don't care to have answered.
½ March 29, 2017
I thought the cast was fantastic especially Philip Seymour Hoffman. lots of action and amazing effects and a decent twist :-)
½ March 5, 2017
After the disappointing second film in the series and a six year wait this film directed J. J. Abrams is exactly what the series needed with it being utterly fresh and removed from the nineties style of action but also helping expand upon not only the central character but the world upon which he lives and works. The supporting cast was the best in the series at the time, the action is stellar (and even better than the second film as it overall centered on realism and not being overly styled), the score by Michael Giacchino is solid, I like the plot and the script which this time had more depth and didn't rely on gimmicks and the general tone of the film felt more urgent and frenetic with the pacing being way more consistent than the previous entry. Overall this is the best the series had to offer at the time and gave new life to a series that was in danger of becoming stale.