Mona Lisa Smile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mona Lisa Smile Reviews

November 28, 2017
This movie definitely gave me those Dead Poets Society vibes and feels. While this was not as good as Dead Poets Society, this movie was still fun to watch.
November 20, 2017
This OBVIOUSLY was written and directed by men. Holy crap.
November 9, 2017
While the story is rather predictable it still does enough to entertain. An interesting look at a 1950's conservative all women's college and a teacher who pushes the boundaries to make them think for themselves. You have certainly seen this story before and probably done a bit better but the feminist bend gives it something to stick out. Not a great movie by any stretch but certainly a serviceable one that will entertain you.
August 13, 2017
A good portrayal of the beginning of changing and opening up roles for women,
July 16, 2017
I loved it! As a former language arts teacher, who worked for a school who didn't care about their students, I can relate to this movie...A LOT! Even though this movie addresses an upper class and conservative school environment...the message rings through.
March 20, 2017
connect-the-dots drama. Easily forgettable
August 10, 2016
Schmaltzy, cliched, preachy tripe. Radical genius newcomer vs. stuffy administration and students- yawn. Julia Roberts as an even blander version of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society. And Wellesley should sue for slander.
June 21, 2016
The Subversives
The movie Mona Lisa Smile is about sexism, the story takes place in the 50s. The writers are Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal and the movie is directed by Mike Newell. The title is a reference to the painting Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci. The main actresses are Julia Roberts, who became a star after the movie Pretty Woman (1990); Kirsten Dunst who was Mary Jane in the Spider Man franchise, she won the award for Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival and the Saturn Award for her performance in the movie Melancholy (2011); Julia Stiles participated in three Hollywood productions: The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum with actor Matt Damon; Maggie Gyllenhaal, her last job was the miniseries The Honourable Woman in 2014; Ginnifer Goodwin, currently dubbed the voice of the character Judy Hops in the movie Zootopia. Julia Roberts stars as the art history teacher at conservative Wellesley College, and her main intention is to break the behaviors and thoughts imposed by the sexism culture.
This Movie is amazing, because it shows different female behavior imposed for society, the time is the 50s but is very recent. The teacher Katherine Watson supports the idea that women donīt need to marry and have a family, but to build professional career and to be independent. The five students represent some prejudice that society impose to women saying what woman can or canīt be, in the movie there are women more liberal, the bigoted - all things were wrong and because of this she looks like she doesn't like women - the insecure, because she didnīt have a beauty standard. The Wellesley College taught how to behave around men, its culture was around men, the girls married during the academic life, and they abandoned their dreams and desires.
Julia Roberts acting was convincing, she broke the image of fragile character and romantic of "Pretty Woman" movie, passed the image of a strong woman that has conviction of ideals. The actress Maggie Gyllenhal almost stole the scene with her interpretation, because the character was the opposite of expected for that time, and she didnīt worry about people's opinion. Gisele was authentic and lived life without stereotypes.
Currently, the Wellesley College looks like a place to form leaderships, where women can do the difference in the world, but these actions look a little still uneven, although the ideas have changed. The women donīt need specific place to study or to form leaderships, women and men need to be together without differences and with respect. Unfortunately, "Mona Lisa smile" shows a reality: women donīt like women. The sexism is rooted and women judge women for any action or appearances, women need to be subversive, breaking barriers and stereotypes, they need to be united. Women need in their day by day actions, changing the women image, we arenīt born to serve men, we are able to build our own life and to make our choices, we can make any choice independent of people's opinion.
Finally, the movie showed a present reality in society, but can be changed like in the movie, the students become aware of real role. This film is recommended for all the public, in special for women, because it is a form of awareness and a reflection to review some thoughts and actions. A change need to start from us women.
½ April 21, 2016
It's a girl version of "Dead Poet Society" Essentially, it's exactly the same
February 27, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
February 13, 2016
Not bad but not great.
November 17, 2015
I am sucker for a period piece film and I am always happy when I see movies with female empowerment. I adore this movie. The ending does kind of piss me off but at least she is moving on to bigger an better things! Great film!!!
November 15, 2015
Not quite as bad as I imagined but still, no new ground broken here.
September 15, 2015
A great movie, with some important messages! :)
½ September 5, 2015
A bit of a bore with nice ending
½ August 14, 2015
It's nice to see what life used to be like for my grandparents.
August 3, 2015
A movie about breaking barriers breaks zero in it's generic storytelling.
July 26, 2015
Absolutely loved this movie, as a 20 year old gal in college, it really spoke to me.
April 27, 2015
I was afraid this would be boring, but I really enjoyed it. I think Julia Roberts did a great job and made this movie fun to watch.
March 21, 2015
Kirsten Dunst succeeds to be a bit annoying in it.