Mona Lisa Smile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mona Lisa Smile Reviews

August 10, 2016
Schmaltzy, cliched, preachy tripe. Radical genius newcomer vs. stuffy administration and students- yawn. Julia Roberts as an even blander version of Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society. And Wellesley should sue for slander.
June 21, 2016
The Subversives
The movie Mona Lisa Smile is about sexism, the story takes place in the 50s. The writers are Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal and the movie is directed by Mike Newell. The title is a reference to the painting Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci. The main actresses are Julia Roberts, who became a star after the movie Pretty Woman (1990); Kirsten Dunst who was Mary Jane in the Spider Man franchise, she won the award for Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival and the Saturn Award for her performance in the movie Melancholy (2011); Julia Stiles participated in three Hollywood productions: The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum with actor Matt Damon; Maggie Gyllenhaal, her last job was the miniseries The Honourable Woman in 2014; Ginnifer Goodwin, currently dubbed the voice of the character Judy Hops in the movie Zootopia. Julia Roberts stars as the art history teacher at conservative Wellesley College, and her main intention is to break the behaviors and thoughts imposed by the sexism culture.
This Movie is amazing, because it shows different female behavior imposed for society, the time is the 50s but is very recent. The teacher Katherine Watson supports the idea that women donīt need to marry and have a family, but to build professional career and to be independent. The five students represent some prejudice that society impose to women saying what woman can or canīt be, in the movie there are women more liberal, the bigoted - all things were wrong and because of this she looks like she doesn't like women - the insecure, because she didnīt have a beauty standard. The Wellesley College taught how to behave around men, its culture was around men, the girls married during the academic life, and they abandoned their dreams and desires.
Julia Roberts acting was convincing, she broke the image of fragile character and romantic of "Pretty Woman" movie, passed the image of a strong woman that has conviction of ideals. The actress Maggie Gyllenhal almost stole the scene with her interpretation, because the character was the opposite of expected for that time, and she didnīt worry about people's opinion. Gisele was authentic and lived life without stereotypes.
Currently, the Wellesley College looks like a place to form leaderships, where women can do the difference in the world, but these actions look a little still uneven, although the ideas have changed. The women donīt need specific place to study or to form leaderships, women and men need to be together without differences and with respect. Unfortunately, "Mona Lisa smile" shows a reality: women donīt like women. The sexism is rooted and women judge women for any action or appearances, women need to be subversive, breaking barriers and stereotypes, they need to be united. Women need in their day by day actions, changing the women image, we arenīt born to serve men, we are able to build our own life and to make our choices, we can make any choice independent of people's opinion.
Finally, the movie showed a present reality in society, but can be changed like in the movie, the students become aware of real role. This film is recommended for all the public, in special for women, because it is a form of awareness and a reflection to review some thoughts and actions. A change need to start from us women.
½ April 21, 2016
It's a girl version of "Dead Poet Society" Essentially, it's exactly the same
February 27, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
February 13, 2016
Not bad but not great.
November 17, 2015
I am sucker for a period piece film and I am always happy when I see movies with female empowerment. I adore this movie. The ending does kind of piss me off but at least she is moving on to bigger an better things! Great film!!!
November 15, 2015
Not quite as bad as I imagined but still, no new ground broken here.
September 15, 2015
A great movie, with some important messages! :)
½ September 5, 2015
A bit of a bore with nice ending
½ August 14, 2015
It's nice to see what life used to be like for my grandparents.
August 3, 2015
A movie about breaking barriers breaks zero in it's generic storytelling.
July 26, 2015
Absolutely loved this movie, as a 20 year old gal in college, it really spoke to me.
April 27, 2015
I was afraid this would be boring, but I really enjoyed it. I think Julia Roberts did a great job and made this movie fun to watch.
March 21, 2015
Kirsten Dunst succeeds to be a bit annoying in it.
½ February 23, 2015
It was very good and posed a question about traditional young women's expected life style's in the 1950s but the movie also ended on an unresolved note for most characters which always makes tend to feel bittersweet about movies in general
½ January 10, 2015
Mona Lisa Smile is an excellent film. It is about a free-thinking art professor who teaches conservative 1950s Wellesley girls to question their traditional social roles. Julia Roberts and Kirsten Dunst give amazing performances. The script is well written. Mike Newell did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Mona Lisa Smile is a must see.
November 20, 2014
Is it safe? Yes. Is it groundbreaking? No. But it is a beautiful story of feminism. It demonstrates color and character in its story and is an all-around heartwarming film to watch. I, personally, enjoyed watching it so much.
November 14, 2014
It was cute, entertaining and a little surprising. Good performances, just a simple watch.
½ November 2, 2014
beautifully acted, witty and... a true gift for women who forget what they can do.
September 14, 2014
Kind of a female "Dead Poet's Society", but with a lot more lies and catty fighting.
I almost wish they focused more on the art in this film, but the "housewife factory" aspect was quite interesting as a replacement.