Monsters University - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters University Reviews

June 28, 2017
This was not the sequel the film going audience was expecting. When word broke out that Monsters, INC. would be getting another film, your first thought is always, sequel. Here we got a PIXAR first with a prequel.
It's not the first movie, but I can't say it's not as good tho either. It's a prequel, so it doesn't actually have to live up to the first film, because chronologically it's first. That being said, what a fun trip to see Mike and Sully become best friends and to meet a whole new legion of monsters that you end up liking just as much as the main characters themselves.
Great Pixar Film!
June 27, 2017
Monsters University; similar to The Good Dinosaur, loses any interest during the second act.
June 24, 2017
Original, hilarious, and rendered in fantastic detail, Monster's University is an absolutely brilliant film that deserves more credit than it gets.
June 20, 2017
My favorite movie!!!
June 12, 2017
Now, I will admit, no, it's not as good as Monsters, Inc. or Brave, but Pixar still impressed me with this one. Going into it, I had my doubts over it, but after seeing it, it turned out WAY better than I thought.
½ June 8, 2017
It's everything you want from a PIXAR film: good plot, good characters (and voice acting), and awesome animating techniques. The whole thing left me with a smile on my face, especially the first ten minutes. MU is a solid film. You won't be disappointed like you were with Cars 2 and Brave!
June 1, 2017
Exciting and adorable prequel that is the answer to many questions.
May 30, 2017
Warm hearted and pairs well with the first. Classic Pixar film.
½ May 27, 2017
Not a strong sequel, but good enough
May 21, 2017
When what we see is what we always wanted to see when it's being the vary thing that accepted us when we are declined. When we have always seen it our whole life to follow through to what changed our perspective on the world. When we carry the vary thing that reminds us of who brought us here to see we follow in their steps. When we see others also walk in large shoes to follow in legendary steps, we see challenges along the way when what we see others dont see in accepting us in places we don't belong. When we see we can know everything there is to seeing ourselves pull through, but lack what others need to see to be convinced. When we see we are not accepted for who we are in places where image is everything. When we see others are accepted and not accepted as the best when they too don't look the part. When we see we are not some institution's material for a certain standard to prove them wrong when we see another way in. When we see takes hard work, dedication, and a scary look. When we see we need to be seen through a different perspective when we not accepted with our own peers along with people on the other side. When we see not being accepted is the scary part when no one notices us, sees anything in us and sees we are not cut out for what we always could see being but it fades away. When we are seen as something less to go to a place where we want to be something more when we see the places we wished to see and be. When what we see we have always been a fan of when the greats pave away for us to see opportunity in what we can become if we put our mind and sight together. When we see what others might see as our weakness we use as our strength when see we can put them to good use. When we see what doesn't accept us and what holds us back we see clearly what we must do. When we see others are naturals and others need confidence and a different perspective when seeing themselves. When somethings we don't see, haunts us when we see the monster from within see others in a new perspective. When what others see they know others dont have it in them. When we see that we needed to cheat when others we see are not good enough. When we see we must prove it to ourselves and others when we need to see the truth to see others are right. When we see our deepest fears come true when we are not what we thought we were. When what we never could see we needed was being accepted as a friend when we see and meet our partner who encourages us. When we see new doors open for us when so many have closed, to see we use our book smarts and what we always could see what makes it as scary even if we never had it but others do to make a great teamwork happen. When others can't see how others pull off the unimaginable to see they always had it in them when our standards change. When we see who brought us this far in what we couldn't see that propels us to see other endeavors. When we see we made an impression on those to see we have another chance when smaller doors opens up opportunities for us to work from the bottom up. When we see others see us as a good team to accept us give us a chance.
½ May 12, 2017
Monsters University, it's great, it's the best thing Pixar's brought out in the past three years. It's enjoyable, it's well casted and it's cute without being too cheesy. It's also the third miss in a row for Pixar.

MU, just like Brave (and unlike Cars 2) is filled with merit, and well worth watching. But in 1995 when Pixar came out swinging with Toy Story, people expect that sort of a trend to continue. Which it did! Right up until 2006, when they released their seventh film (Cars); the first film they'd gotten behind that didn't blow audiences world wide out of the Goddamn water. Pixar's limped up and down the approval ladder ever since, with MU sitting comfortably somewhere in the middle.

It is a great film. Especially for a kids' film, especially for a prequel, all of that, but it is not the return to greatness audiences keep hoping for. It plays it safe, it lulls in the dreary, rarely well-pulled-off format of "College Comedy" (which is again, a safe area to sit in). It may not be as triumphant as the original, but it's not all together disappointing either.

The film does what virtually any film with large amount of money behind it does: It stands in front of you for an hour and a half, does its job in the entertainment industry of "entertaining" you, then it sidles out, leaving you smiling, but not thoroughly satisfied. It takes as few risks as possible, and vehemently avoids anything new, just in case it pisses people off, and risks not making their money back.

It's fine, people of the world are used to this, it's a fun ride, and then it's done. Worth your money, worth your time, but not what people have come to expect from the powerhouse of Pixar's heyday.

74%

-Gimly
May 10, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Perhaps unsurprisingly with Pixar at the wheel, 'Monsters University' does manage to capture much of the magic of its predecessor, as it still packs all the charm and detail you'd expect, as well as many of the characters you grew to love before.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The real issue is the story. Sure the University setting is a great way to dabble with some great themes and explore these characters further, but the adventures they find themselves on once that's all established will likely fail to engage for the film's majority.
VERDICT: It packs the charm of the original and has all the right intentions, it's a shame 'Monsters University' fell at one of the most important hurdles.
April 22, 2017
Like the phenomenal first Monsters film, this Pixar sequel is cute, bright, warm, and funny. With great scenes of child-friendly horror tropes (especially the cabin scaring), it works as a great introduction for the youngest among us into the monster / horror genres. Unfortunately it's missing the most important element of the original: true innovation.
April 22, 2017
Stunning animation and colorful characters, but the movie itself wasn't that good and felt a bit unnecessary. It's fun to watch every now and then, but it's nothing too special.
½ April 5, 2017
Plot Synopsis: Sully and Mike partner up with 4 not-so-scary monsters to participate in the single-elimination tournament Scarer Games, because at Monsters University you're given a free bailout from failing exams as long as you win games. Maybe they should have called this Monster Olympics instead of Monster University.

Monsters University doesn't have that fresh, revolutionary CGI look or the same catchy OST music as did Monsters Inc., and it's not as emotional or dramatic as the original movie, but it's still in my opinion another good film, though not excellent, from Pixar especially regarding the climax where Sulley scares off the human adults and also the crap out of the heartless devil Dean Hardscrabble. So overall, I enjoyed this movie thoroughly, but not as much as Monsters Inc from 2001, it's not an excellent prequel but it's still an acceptable one.
½ April 3, 2017
Monsters university in really good, The only problem I have with it is that now it's very stale and repetitive but that's it, everything else is good, the story and writing is pretty good, the characters are iconic as always, the acting is really good, the music is also really good, and the animation is fantastic, it's a good movie and for a Pixar movie I think it's one of the best, so I like Monsters University a lot, but it's not as good as all the great and good Pixar movies, nor is it as good as the as the first monsters inc movie, but it is a really solid movie, if I'd have to give it a rating I would give it a 7, I like it better than Brave and cars 2, anyway that's it, it's a good movie
March 29, 2017
Very cute film :) I recommend it for all ages. Especially love the extra characters from Mike and Sully's kappa house.
½ March 26, 2017
A pretty meh prequel, Monsters University was a forgettable, unfunny, and plain boring film that is not EVEN NEARLY as good as Monsters, Inc. While better than Cars 2, its still disappointing to see Pixar start to churn out films like this now.
½ March 24, 2017
Can't reach the original masterpieces
½ March 21, 2017
I loved the unique message this movie had to offer; Show even a hint of persistence, and you're already half way there. This message was perfectly displayed at the end of the film, when Mike & Sullivan slowly built their way up from being Mail deliverers to professional scarers.
It was also a good set-up for the first movie. It expressed how Mike & Sulivan got to the stage they were in at the start of the first movie.
It was well directed & animated by Dan Scanlon, well produced by Kori Rae and well written by Robert L. Baird & Dan Gerson.
It's nice to watch a movie like this every now and then! Overall, this was a FANTASTIC movie that is TOTALLY worth your time!