Monsters University - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters University Reviews

January 17, 2018
Fantastic family film, brilliant prequel to 'Monsters Inc'
½ January 14, 2018
Pixar fans who want to see the origins of Monster Inc., this is the movie for you. Absolutely incredible animation with hilarious laugh out loud moments, makes this is a very good movie.
½ January 12, 2018
Another Fun Adventure With New Characters. Some Positive Messages Bring It All Home Once Again...All Too Easy, But It's Very Enjoyable To Watch.
January 3, 2018
The return to the world of "Monsters, Inc." is pleasantly entertaining in this colorful prequel that was fashioned in a similar style of a prequel in the storyline's exploration to being better than the original as this is Pixar's unique classic in that form, as well being one of the best of the college flicks. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
½ December 20, 2017
You're a monster, Harry. This is a fun film with animation that meets Pixar's standards but employs the boarding-school story structure a bit too lazily, which weighs down an otherwise fun idea and story with good character work and voice acting
December 19, 2017
Monsters University doesn't have that fresh, revolutionary CGI look or the same catchy OST music as did Monsters Inc., and it's not as emotional or dramatic as the original movie. Also, the new characters seriously suck - especially the monsters in Oozma Kappa who weren't in the first movie. Boo was a much better character than they were. Also, the music in this movie is crap, "Gospel" isn't appealing as was the original movie's "Without You".

Randall should NOT have been in this movie, this movie depicted him as a dork with funny glasses and this prequel disgraced his reputation as the sneaky, invisible and intense villain of the original Monsters movie.
½ December 17, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Encantadora y mágica como cualquier otra producción de Pixar. Monsters University abarca temas como el trabajo en equipo, la persecución de sueños y realización personal, que asegura un formativo entretenimiento a los más pequeños.
December 15, 2017
OK follow up, looks sweet, but not that much sweeter than the first. The backrounds, with water and stuff looks better, otherwise it's surprizingly similar. It's a prequel on how Mike and Sulley met. They attended the same university, learning how to scare. They're approaches to the life of studying are different and they are up to the classic universety deals. Girls, parties, popular and not so popular kids.

It's the same stuff like last time, just a bit less sharp and original. I like the contest thing, and the message. Maybe a bit too spoonfed message, though. I like the small hints of characters we met in the first film, but if I hadn't seen the first one the same day, I probably wouldn't remember them at all.

6 out of 10 hats.
November 21, 2017
I absolutley loved this movie. This made me forget the first one that I did'nt like.
½ November 7, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

October 22, 2017
Monsters University is definitely an underrated movie, especially for a Pixar movie. It may be far from the best one, but that doesn't mean that it is still a pretty good movie. It's got really great visuals, great characters, very good story, and is very funny too. It's a great homage to it's older brother despite it being a prequel to it. For a prequel, it has to be one of the best ones that I have seen. I wouldn't be surprised if Pixar would make a prequel to any of their other franchises. The best part of the movie has to be the climax. It's very intense and fits very well with the story. You want Mike and Sulley to succeed and escape from where they are during this part of the movie. This and the ending are truly what make the movie seem like a Pixar movie. They would be what you would expect from any other movies from the studio. What I also really like the most about the movie is how characters like Sulley and Randall look different when comparison to their design in Monsters Inc. If you look very closely to some of these characters' designs of both movies side by side, you will definitely see a difference. I love how Pixar did this. Overall, I give this 8 out of 10. Nothing amazing and super memorable, but still very pleasing to the eyes of almost anyone who is as much of a fan of Monsters Inc and Pixar such as myself.
October 6, 2017
Pretty funny movie that I enjoyed watching I know a lot of people like this movie
½ September 4, 2017
The final act ranks among Pixar's finest endings. A really touching moment that's more human than monster.
August 21, 2017
Hey, RiceGum
Why you acting dumb?
You know I fucked your dad
And I even fucked your mom
I really shouldn't say it
But I'm having so much fun
Your little sister's pussy
Tastes so good on my tongue
Hey, Bryan
Why you lying?
You thought I'd be in tears
You thought I'd be crying
But your roasts are weak
And your blows are cheap
Son of Genghis

When I saw your face
When I see your face

[Verse 2]
Breath like shit
I think you need a Mintie
Can't see right
Cause your eyes are squinty
MSG is in your veins
That's why you're acting salty
Really thought your words
Could burn and insult me
Family's so poor
That you sleep on the floor
Probably share your mattress
With your mom, the whore
Ricey, Ricey
Things are getting spicy
Skin so yellow
Yeah, you need to mellow

[Pre-Chorus 2]

Such a big disgrace
When I saw your face
When I see your face
½ August 14, 2017
Monsters University is a great movie for the family. It isn't as good as Monsters Inc., but it still holds up. It does have some really good moments though, which helps prevent it from getting a lower score.
½ August 7, 2017
Not as good as the first film, but it is still a great prequel and an overall enjoyable film!
August 4, 2017
A prequel that, altough not in the same level of the original, is a fun ride and it still feels like Pixar.
It lacks of course in the heart, but this great story, of how Mike and Sulley met in college is so creative. The colourful and detailed animation is wonderful and the characters are constantly likable. An very satisfying movie for all ages!

|It's an 8,0 out of 10|
½ July 30, 2017
A good prequel. This movie has a slightly darker tone than its predecessor, no matter how pretty it looks, although it can never surpass the standards set by the previous Pixar films, Monsters, Inc. included, but still, a very fun film. I would recommend this.
½ July 24, 2017
Good enough...but let's be honest most of us hold the original quite dearly in our hearts so you hope for a little more that that. It made me laugh a few times and my 4 year old was still talking about it at breakfast the day after so it clearly does work but I wanted a little more. Felt like more of a DVD spin-off really than a genuine sequel/prequel.