Monsters University - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monsters University Reviews

April 22, 2017
Like the phenomenal first Monsters film, this Pixar sequel is cute, bright, warm, and funny. With great scenes of child-friendly horror tropes (especially the cabin scaring), it works as a great introduction for the youngest among us into the monster / horror genres. Unfortunately it's missing the most important element of the original: true innovation.
April 22, 2017
Stunning animation and colorful characters, but the movie itself wasn't that good and felt a bit unnecessary. It's fun to watch every now and then, but it's nothing too special.
April 16, 2017
Not a strong sequel, but good enough
½ April 5, 2017
Plot Synopsis: Sully and Mike partner up with 4 not-so-scary monsters to participate in the single-elimination tournament Scarer Games, because at Monsters University you're given a free bailout from failing exams as long as you win games. Maybe they should have called this Monster Olympics instead of Monster University.

Monsters University doesn't have that fresh, revolutionary CGI look or the same catchy OST music as did Monsters Inc., and it's not as emotional or dramatic as the original movie, but it's still in my opinion another good film, though not excellent, from Pixar especially regarding the climax where Sulley scares off the human adults and also the crap out of the heartless devil Dean Hardscrabble. So overall, I enjoyed this movie thoroughly, but not as much as Monsters Inc from 2001, it's not an excellent prequel but it's still an acceptable one.
½ April 3, 2017
Monsters university in really good, The only problem I have with it is that now it's very stale and repetitive but that's it, everything else is good, the story and writing is pretty good, the characters are iconic as always, the acting is really good, the music is also really good, and the animation is fantastic, it's a good movie and for a Pixar movie I think it's one of the best, so I like Monsters University a lot, but it's not as good as all the great and good Pixar movies, nor is it as good as the as the first monsters inc movie, but it is a really solid movie, if I'd have to give it a rating I would give it a 7, I like it better than Brave and cars 2, anyway that's it, it's a good movie
March 29, 2017
Very cute film :) I recommend it for all ages. Especially love the extra characters from Mike and Sully's kappa house.
½ March 26, 2017
A pretty meh prequel, Monsters University was a forgettable, unfunny, and plain boring film that is not EVEN NEARLY as good as Monsters, Inc. While better than Cars 2, its still disappointing to see Pixar start to churn out films like this now.
½ March 24, 2017
Can't reach the original masterpieces
½ March 21, 2017
I loved the unique message this movie had to offer; Show even a hint of persistence, and you're already half way there. This message was perfectly displayed at the end of the film, when Mike & Sullivan slowly built their way up from being Mail deliverers to professional scarers.
It was also a good set-up for the first movie. It expressed how Mike & Sulivan got to the stage they were in at the start of the first movie.
It was well directed & animated by Dan Scanlon, well produced by Kori Rae and well written by Robert L. Baird & Dan Gerson.
It's nice to watch a movie like this every now and then! Overall, this was a FANTASTIC movie that is TOTALLY worth your time!
½ March 17, 2017
Basically a child rip off of almost every 80's college movie (the group of misfits, the jock sorority, the evil dean I mean 'COME ON'!). But it is still great on the scale that it ties in well to the first movie and makes a great prequel.
March 12, 2017
Well animated, but a bit uneven on the story and characters(But hey, it's at least not as painfully boring or exhaustingly annoying as much as
Finding Dory!)
March 3, 2017
Why didn't I see this before <3
½ February 25, 2017
Fun movie, but it doesn't quite live up to the original.

Personal Grade: B
Technical Score: 69%
February 20, 2017
Funny and cool. Another movie I can't stop watching.
February 19, 2017
Not as great as the original, but just funny and endearing enough to be worthwhile.
½ January 26, 2017
Mike Wazowski y James Sullivan, los adorables monstruos de Monsters Inc. regresan en una precuela divertida. En esta ocasión ambos asistirán a la Universidad para formarse como 'asustadores', pero pronto se verán relegados en el grupo de 'perdedores' y aunque al principio no son amigos, deberán unirse para vencer las dificultades. La película tiende a caer en los clichés propios de las comedias universitarias norteamericanas, pero aún así mantiene su encanto y diversión
½ January 21, 2017
Didn't need it. And the continuity is off. C'mon, Pixar. It was one of the first lines in the first one; "You've been jealous of my good looks since the FOURTH GRADE, pal."
½ January 18, 2017
A clichéd money grab movie which nobody ever asked for.
January 10, 2017
Parfois drôle, souvent plate, jamais aussi bon que Monsters inc. Chou Pixar.
½ January 7, 2017
In 2001s 'Monsters, Inc', Sully and Wazowski are the best of friends, who work at the prestigious Monster, Inc of the title collecting the screams of children that powers their world.

That's not the case in this prequel, which actually goes back to how they first met, at the 'Monsters University' of the title. Of course, they are immediately rivals, with this story detailing how they came to be the best of friends (along with the usual moral lesson along the way) ...

Personally, I felt that this wasn't quite as good as the original, but it was better than some of Pixar's other more recent outputs.