Moonlight Reviews

• 4d ago

Way late to the party on this one I know. This movie is so surreal, a deep dive into the gay experience via the African American community that I have no tangibility to. I found myself so attached to the Chyrone character after he pays dreadful consequences for just being himself one time. Amazing performance, a few years after it comes out I have no idea why Barry Jenkins isn't getting more work. This film really stands apart from all other typical LGBTQ movies.

• Mar 18, 2020

It gives an extraordinary story but acting wasn't the best.

It gives an extraordinary story but acting wasn't the best.

• Mar 17, 2020

"3 Act structure," It better be the most emotional, painful, time in the characters life. I need to feel the emotion. I need that confrontation with your mother about the abuse and the neglect. I need you to make me feel the pain you feel everyday. Make me feel isolated as you did in school. Let me grow with you as a character. Make the shots resemble that growth, as the character grows and develops as do the shot stabilize and lighting seems not as harsh. As dose the world not seem as harsh and cruel anymore. Either I'm growing with you or I am not. One of the biggest events in the characters life, the death of a man that fed him and raised him could have been a symphony of emotions. Yet you chose to give us a back story you'll never use. Which is the biggest mistake in the film. How I'm I going to get emotional when I only have pieces of a story? I don't need another walk around film. I need connection, emotion, Life and death, the struggles defeating the demons. Because if you can't defeat them. How am I going to? We connect with the hero's journey because it gives us hope. Give me hope! Not just moments in your life. Show me the gold at the end of the rainbow.

• Mar 15, 2020

Wanted to love this like so many others but just didn't work for me.

Wanted to love this like so many others but just didn't work for me.

• Mar 04, 2020

You MUST see this movie!! It is a pinnacle of cinema with awe-inspiring performances, brilliant writing, and amazing directing! How this doesn't already have a 100% or, at the very least, a 99% on this site completely boggles my mind!

• Mar 04, 2020

I guess some people are just too excited about LGBT+ movies. It keeps you entartained.

• Feb 29, 2020

Sorry, this really didn't work for me, just found it tedious

Sorry, this really didn't work for me, just found it tedious

• Feb 22, 2020

Good acting but it was a bit boring for me

Good acting but it was a bit boring for me

• Feb 20, 2020

No way La La Land even comes close to this movie. The movie plays like a slow and sad symphony that blossoms into something more beautiful.

• Feb 18, 2020

Touching story driven by dialogue. The character development is amazing. Huge stride for LGBT in cinema.