Mulholland Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulholland Drive Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
A dizzying, mind-numbing experience that is more laborious to sit through than to love, unfortunately. But when this film hits you, in the only way David Lynch can, you will be absolutely stunned and awed. In the midst of tedium, there is absolutely beauty, and genius on display. Certain scenes just make the film completely memorable. They contribute to the cult success that this film has gotten, and it's reputation as one of the 21st century's best films. But for this viewer, it just didn't resonate with me. Blue Velvet on the other hand, don't get me started on what that film did to me.
January 17, 2017
david lynch is a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard...good stuff but i'm not gonna even try to understand this movie
January 15, 2017
No matter how many times you watch the film, there's always new things to discover and Lynch has made a masterpiece in subverting Hollywood expectations in the only way he can. Truly one of the most mind-boggling and fascinating films to ever exist.
January 13, 2017
A remarkable journey into dreams and the subconscious. Naomi Watts is excelent here, and Lynch's trademarks are accompanied by a strange, evocative and (naturally) onirical camera work.
January 3, 2017
Ok. I feel if I watched this ten times I would decide it was ten different stories. My current theory is that it is meant as an examination of compulsion from different angles. But which storyline is real? Does it matter?
January 3, 2017
Mulholland Drive is a very tense and a suspenseful thriller. There are great performances from both the female leads and it is very well directed. The story line is quite up to the mark. But I did fell that it gets a little slow at some parts mostly during the second half. Two or three scenes were quite unnecessary and could have been edited. Some parts of the story needed more explanation especially the box. Overall this is a great watch.
½ December 30, 2016
This is one of the most challenging films I've ever seen and I don't think I fully understood what it's about. I'm not the biggest fan of David Lynch, and in most cases, I have really hard time understanding his films. I do think he is a brilliant filmmaker, it's just my brain can't keep up with some of the surrealist stuff he puts on screen. I liked the way he mixed the surrealistic elements with absurdist humor, and even when it goes to a place that is confounding and bizarre, I just went with it. Naomi Watts gives a very bold performance, the kind of performance that even some of the most accomplished actresses would have hard time giving. "Mulholland Drive" is, in many ways, a mesmerizing film, and the one I would revisit every once in a while.
December 30, 2016
"When you see the girl in the picture that was shown to you earlier today, you will say, "this is the girl". The rest of the cast can stay, that's up to you. But the choice for that lead girl is NOT up to you. Now... you will see me one more time, if you do good. You will see me... two more times, if you do bad. Good night."

Back in early 2015, I watched "Mulholland Drive" and my first reaction were mostly positive. I didn't know what to think of it, but I was so in awe with the film that I couldn't stop thinking about it. The reason for not reviewing it back then is because I just wasn't ready to talk about it. This massive delay cause me to forget about it, as at the time, I had a lot of things on my mind.

But after re-watching it, it's better on the second watch. I loved "Mulholland Drive". It's both effective, depressing, and strange. I would go as far to say that it's a masterpiece.

David Lynch is a master of his craft who's always misunderstood. The dreamy atmosphere is terrifying and yet draws you in. Only he can do it. To strike an emotionally core with you that hits you hard, despite not knowing what's going on. People are so in awe of his work, even when nobody understands him. But strangely, that doesn't matter.
½ December 3, 2016
Yeah, wtf is right. Though it's both well acted and complexity surreal
November 25, 2016
I have no idea what happened in this film. Friggin David Lynch and his ethereal film making.
November 10, 2016
Mulholland drive might be unconventional, but it's engaging and extremely well made with a plot that's both fun and interesting to figure out and analyse. This is not only David Lynch's masterpiece, this is simply one of the best films of all time.
½ November 9, 2016
Although many aspects are shrouded in mystery, the cleverness and surreal, nightmarish creativity pulls it all together.
½ November 6, 2016
Ever rich in all that only a real go at Hollywood could engender: envy, delusion, sex, sadism, and the eerie milieu that holds it together. Kidman kills and the Cowboy scene takes the (dialogical) cake.
October 27, 2016
Mulholland Dr. är Lynch-fantasternas stora sensation. Noirstilen gör denna rulle så mycket mer tilltalande. Naomi Watts gör ett starkt framträdande som dubbelkaraktär.
½ October 24, 2016
Exquisitely sinister. I'm glad someone recommended it to me. One of those movies that stays with you for a long time. The less you know about it the better, but I have to mention that now I understand where Naomi Watts' stardom comes from.
October 15, 2016
Lynch thinks he's being artsy when he actually just has a plodding, boring style of directing. I can't believe I just wasted 2 1/2 hours of my life on this awful film.
October 11, 2016
?It?ll be just like in the movies. Pretending to be somebody else.?

A recent poll by BBC Culture surveyed the opinion of film critics, academics, and curators from 36 countries across every continent which consisted of 177 of the worlds foremost movie experts. They were tasked to compile an international list of the top 100 films released since the year 2000 to come up the best film of this century so far. It's no easy task but when all was said and done, the film that topped the list was David Lynch's hallucinatory and meditative film-noir, Mulholland Drive. It came as a surprise to some but for those familiar with the film itself, it was a fitting accolade.

After a car crash leaves her with amnesia, Rita (Laura Harring) has no idea who she is or where she's come from and wanders around the streets of Los Angeles in a daze. She eventually finds refuge in an apartment where she is found by ambitious young actress Betty (Naomi Watts). Betty and Rita then work together and investigate the mystery of Rita's condition and seek the answers to her true identity.

It's pretty much common knowledge now that Mulholland Drive was a failed proposal by Lynch to embark on a new television series. Originally conceived while filming Twin Peaks, it was to be a spin-off featuring the character of Audrey Horne (which was played by Sherilyn Fenn). Lynch went on to direct a 90min pilot for ABC but, in the end, the network executives rejected it. As a result, Lynch rejigged and regurgitated the material into a feature film and produced, arguably, his finest work to date.

So complex is Mulholland Drive that Lynch released 10 clues to help in deciphering the plot. It's in my opinion that these 10 clues are actually useless. Lynch notoriously doesn't explain his work and the clues he provides only serve as a false pretence in which to view the film. He toys with our perceptions and preconceived ideas of how a film should be constructed. I've viewed the film many times and the clues predominantly lead to a dead end. This is a film that demands numerous viewings and yet can still come out different each time. That is the sheer genius and craftsmanship that has went into it. There's a lot about the film that simply isn't explained; narrative arcs and characters appear and then disappear. This could have been intentional or it could have been the result of the material being planned for a long running TV show where they would've been explored in more detail. Either way, it works and adds to the hallucinatory vibe that courses throughout. It could be argued that the film is just a series of scenes loosely tied together and it's up to the viewer to interpret for themselves. Like Lost Highway, what the individual viewer brings to the experience is what they will walk away with. If you invest the time and respect to Lynch's vision, you will be richly rewarded.

It operates on many levels and the lines between fantasy and reality are constantly blurred. Some claim it to be a parallel universe, or repurposed elements to a person's failed past but the strongest interpretation is that it's predominantly a disconcerting dream state involving displacement and transference and where the reality and the fantasy intertwine.

The significance of the The Cowboy and his cryptic messages, the importance of the blue key and the blue box, the uneasy encounter with the man behind Winkies and the moment at Club Silencio where we are reminded that what we see isn't necessarily always real. All of these tie-in with the symbolic importance of dream imagery.

It can also be viewed as a cynical and scathing indictment of Hollywood culture - which could be a direct reference to the problems that Lynch has faced with studios in the past or even the issue that he faced in trying to promote this particular film as a TV show. At one point in the film, studio bigwigs try to influence a director's decision on whom he casts in his film. This was purportedly what Lynch faced by casting unknowns Watts and Harring in the lead roles here and one of the reasons that ABC rejected it (apparently they were too old). They couldn't have been more wrong, though, as Watts delivers masterful work. There are at least three different interpretations to her character and she nails every one of them. She showcases her extensive range which, considering the narrative of the film, ironically made her a Hollywood star overnight.

Form over structure and the combination of sight and sound has always been a major attribute to Lynch's work and in Mulholland Drive, they are integral to the overall composition. Regular Lynch composer Angelo Badalamenti's haunting score compliments the uneasy mood and atmosphere created by Peter Deming's foreboding cinematography, lending the film a truly sinister and ethereal feel.

The biggest achievement though, is how much Lynch respects his audience's intelligence without compromising or diluting the concept. This is a visual jigsaw and putting it together is a very challenging endeavour. Many, if not all, viewers will find pieces that just don't to fit. That aside, this is still an intoxicating mystery and even when it's seemingly inexplicable it's still gripping and hugely involving. Those who like their narrative spelled out for them needn't bother but those that enjoy a challenge will be enthused throughout this fascinating piece of work.

We've all had those dreams where people, places and events are twisted and distorted and that's exactly what Lynch captures. There is a running, logical narrative that courses underneath it but it's very much delivered in dream logic. Any coherent interpretation lies within the importance of it's symbolism.

When you consider Lynch's filmography over the years, this feels like the film that he has been building towards. All of his usual themes are on display; the psychological duality in an individual and the juxtaposition of innocence and corruption, beauty and depravity, shattered dreams and living nightmares. Put simply, it's an abstract masterpiece.

Mark Walker
October 2, 2016
We had our first group movie night last night and this is one of the movies that I brought it. We pulled numbers out of a bowl and this movie and two others got picked. None of my friends had seen this movie and I was worried they wouldn't like it because of how weird it is. I like weird stuff so of course I have loved this movie for years. I think this was the 3rd or 4th time that i have watched it. It was still weird. I still didn't understand what it meant. But I still liked it and it still kept me intrigued. Luckily, everyone seemed to enjoy it in a weird way. Everyone had the similar reaction of "hmmmm, that was really weird. But now I'm curious and contemplative." David Lynch is one of my favorite filmmakers. I need to watch his whole filmography. Anyway, this is classic Lynch and I love it. Also, I watched a video on youtube this morning about what this movie is about and it made alot of sense. There is alot of symbolism in this movie. This movie is just pure art. Also, Naomi Watts is outstanding in this movie.
September 18, 2016
David Lynch's opus magnum.
½ September 4, 2016
"Mulholland Drive" has a direction almost spotless, a great photo, awesome soundtrack, cutting, editing, sound mixing ..., well, technically it has no errors, few films in cinema has a thriller like this, every scene, every take, you're with heart in hand, the acting is good, but the script, good, is a Lynch film director who has created a market in a niche apparently has no sense, but it has, this is the problem is not an easy film to the general public (which often leaves the film in half), and not for cinephiles who end up confused and have to resort to articles to supplement your understanding of this film. For some this is a problem, while others, completely freak out at the idea of ??the film, which does not seem to have their own morals, this is the art that Lynch brings to the cinema, the film has a story and it is up to each viewer interpret wakes up his ideology and experience, is a complete work, with memorable moments, the film that every moviegoer should see, even if you do not like, at least once to have a broader view not only on film but on art in general.