Mulholland Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulholland Drive Reviews

May 25, 2018
Favorite movie of all time.
May 6, 2018
The woman is like a stick with a retractable blade, looks like a thing and under your eyes it becomes another "(from the movie GILDA).

Mulholland drive is the road that in the film is only traveled for a short distance, is the linear path that is not followed, which is lost in a shortcut. The nightmare of blue velvet opened up as it neared the hollow of an auricle, and from this came out, once the nightmare had ended; Mulhland drive does not reflect this pseudo linearity, the images are swallowed by the darkness of a box in a zoomed in, and from this they immediately come back to light, but without the glance backtracking, it is the darkness itself that moves away. The black screen is not the filter between two universes, it is not the boundary line between dream and nightmare, but it is the plane on which they join.
Since "everything is recorded is all a tape", to a music and a voice you can associate a different face, a song can be reproposed (as Dean Stockwell does in blue velvet singing Candy colored clown) by someone who in fact has never performed, and so a character who has been played by an actress, becomes in another guise. Three are the female figures who exchange the parts: Rita becomes Camilla, Camilla becomes Betty, and Betty becomes Diane. The latter is not a new name in the Lynch universe, as it was the one Kyle MacLachlan addressed in Twin Peaks when he spoke with his tape recorder. The Diane of Detective Cooper is therefore also only a tape, "it's all recorded", and it's never present as there is no band. Three actresses / characters compete for the part of the film's protagonist in the film, and three actresses (Watts, Harring, George) and three characters, compete for the main actress in Mulholland drive. All the other cast members remain in their role, as the cowboy says "the rest of the cast can also remain, it depends on you, but the main actress does not, that does not depend on you", she can not remain.
Rita Hayworth said: "the men go to bed with Gilda, but they wake up with Rita" and for Diane "it's time to wake up".
April 25, 2018
This movie is highly over-rated. It was originally a pilot for another series like twin peaks. when that failed to be picked up the director made this movie from the bones of the pilot. It is clearly seen in early parts of the film when several characters and elements are introduced and left hanging. Of course the director was clever to save a failed pilot and make it into a movie, but it is nowhere near the masterpiece that people are suggesting. The few main characters that the director takes and spins into the tacked on ending switch is part of a clever plot but you can see this was not planned based on how many of the early elements have nothing to do with this last minute switch. If this was acknowledged I would have more respect, but the bait and switch of it all and how people lap it up make it really annoying to see that it was a quick rework of a failed pilot and nowhere near so fantastic master class of story telling.
½ March 4, 2018
MULHOLLAND DRIVE is a film that will not leave my mind anytime soon- it is one of the most fascinating and ingeniously twisted movies ever made. It could only be made by a truly special and tremendously gifted film director- this kind of talent to conceive such a complex but sensical structure and this kind of creative uniqueness is what makes David Lynch a one-of-a-kind director. I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this before, and I don't think I will ever see one like it again.
½ February 28, 2018
2018-2-28
The first thing I saw is 10ish people dancing for couple minutes .. Then I was thinking " another Lynch movie that I will not understand lol ". Well turns out this one is not that bad. Its not an easy one, but it won't make you feel you understand nothing after watching ;)
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
January 14, 2018
One of the greatest movies of the 21 first century, David lynch's masterpiece and an incredibly complex and intellectually stimulating plot.
½ January 13, 2018
silencio..

Mulholland Dr.

It has a promising and twisted plot and with the help of some astonishing and also amusing characters the film sails towards the final act with some bumps like it's overlong runtime and slow screenplay.
½ January 10, 2018
This is the kind of film that should not have launched, enhanced, or capped anyone's career. Mulholland Drive goes nowhere, slowly. It seems there's a fine line between noir and null and this film lands solidly in the null and void of "why did I waste time watching that" territory.
January 7, 2018
Mind thoroughly blown in ways mind has not been blown recently. A word of advice is to PAY ATTENTION.
January 7, 2018
Lynch has so many ideas crammed into one movie yet it never feels overwhelming, jumbled or messy. Quite the opposite. You feel he's in control of what seems like a mish mash of 10 different types of films all the way through that eventually comes to a very focused and straightforward climax in a way. I've seen this movie about 8 times and I still find myself perplexed and fascinated in every viewing.
½ December 28, 2017
What the heck did I just watch? About halfway through, I thought about watching something else because nothing was making sense. However, I stuck it out until the end because of the good reviews, and it just got even worse (which I didn't think was possible). I honestly couldn't tell you what this movie is even about and after reading the synopsis on Wikipedia, I still don't know what was going on with the plot twists. I wish I could get those 2.5 hours back to do some housecleaning or something remotely productive.
½ December 27, 2017
I've had impromptu conversations lasting hours about this film with friends and strangers alike. A deeply layered and tortuous modern film noire portraying the demise of an aspiring young actress (Naomi Watts) determined to make it in Hollywood. Simultaneously full of symbolism and brutal honesty, few other filmmakers have dared to venture so deeply into the abyss beneath the Hollywood sign. For me, this is David Lynch at his finest. Naomi Watts is brilliant, this might be the pinnacle of her career.
½ December 26, 2017
M-F

8.3

[David Lynch]
December 21, 2017
my favorite Lynch - a beautiful nightmare filled with dark Passion and a calm warm Feeling beyond our reality.
December 2, 2017
A dream logic kind of film. I am sure the director/writer enjoyed teasing the viewer with scenes and symbols that flow without logic or rational development. The music and eerie scenes create a dread that permeates the film. Naomi Watts is extraordinary in a versatile performance.
Don't expect this film to neatly fit together or even to make complete sense. Just enjoy it as a unique experience.
½ October 30, 2017
What a fucking odd movie, but a good one at that. The way the movie is structured is pretty damn disorienting but it makes for a very interesting watch. The beginning kind of bored me but when it got to the middle, I started to become more and more interested.

The acting at times seems very cheesy from some actors but Naomi Watts hit out of the park with her mesmerizing performance. What a terrific actor.

Overall, this movie is a cinematic experience like no other and it kind of makes me want to watch David Lynch's other movies.
½ October 27, 2017
I have no idea what the hell I just watched. Some parts were okay, but the movies as a whole made no sense, and the musical part was really annoying. It seemed to go on forever. The ending was about as confusing as the rest of the film. I'm left feeling unsatisfied and confused.
October 14, 2017
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary come again?
½ October 10, 2017
Although it may be confusing in its final act to some, Mullholland Drive is a great film with the same ol' surreal characters Lynch is known for plus some new, slightly more conventional but just as surreal elements. This and Twin Peaks are excellent works that will introduce newcomers to Lynch very well.