Mulholland Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulholland Drive Reviews

August 12, 2018
August 9, 2018
One of the most complex, seductive and brilliant journeys into the obscure underworld of the unconscious mind to ever be experienced, brought to us by the incredible mind of a filmmaker who pulls us into an elaborate dreamscape that holds the key to an extremely sad reality.
August 8, 2018
July 27, 2018
This is an excellent and unique film full of hidden meanings that deserves multiple viewing. I'm now flickering through all sorts of explanations on the web.
½ July 27, 2018
A brilliant work from David Lynch
July 26, 2018
Two and a half hours waiting, hoping that this movie would pay off, but it never does. This is one of those artsy things that get high ratings by people who don't care if a movie has a plot.
½ July 25, 2018
David Lynch's Mulholland Drive is a unique movie. Unique because regardless of what you consider- if you liked the film or not- you will think about what you just saw. It is a reactionary film in ways because it toys with your perception. Naomi Watts arrives in Los Angeles as a wide-eyed starlet who finds a mysterious woman, shaken and damaged in her apartment. With her career not going as desired she teams with this woman to solve the mystery of who she really is and how did she come to be in that situation. This is a psychological film with multiple layers and themes which might confuse you. Lynch is an auteur and all his films reek of atmosphere and this one is no different. You should try Mulholland Drive- I enjoyed it and will see it many times in time to come.(A hauntingly atmospheric piece by Lynch).
July 25, 2018
Wonderful movie. The most sensitive by David Lynch.
½ July 23, 2018
Mulholland Drive is not an easy film to sit through and one might even get tempted to get up midway and leave. But if you understand David Lynch and his mind you'll find a lot to appreciate here. At the top of my head is the stunning atmosphere. This film reeks of a certain "vibe" and even though the film is long it keeps this vibe all throughout. The soundtrack only helps and the acting from everyone involved is exactly what David Lynch likes it. The story is too convoluted to mention here but all I can say is this film is something of a challenge and you should definitely give it a shot. (Lynchain Universe invites you to have a look; go for it).
July 22, 2018
Depth: 2/2
Importance: 2/2
Relevance: 2/2
Artistry: 2/2
Imagination: 2/2

Total: 10/10
July 20, 2018
Fortunately or unfortunately, I was inadvertently front loaded with the film's basic structure. Had I not been aware of this, there's a good to very good chance I might have walked out. While the performances were solid, the film is an overrated, over arched attempt at creating a mysterious look into the depths of a female actor's unconscious. The result was a forced grown-up version of The Wizard of Oz. The film had many gripping moments with beautiful subtleties from the performers but I walked away with an even further cemented conviction that Hollywood is a cesspool in a land of broken dreams. Mr. Lynch should go and study Mr. Hitchcock's films if he wants to learn how to develop the art of true mystery. It seems however, he would rather hit viewers over the head with a sledgehammer. On another note, did anyone get reminded of Tales of the City? Now that was a lovely piece of work. Save yourself the agony and skip Mullholland Drive.,
July 7, 2018
A classic Lynch film in the sense that it's got you piecing together what happened hours after you leave the theater. Unlike some of his other films, however, Mulholland Drive contains perhaps one of the more accessible plot lines--even while set in its non-linear framework. It all kind of falls together into place, worth one or several more rewatches to fully grasp the intricacies. Naomi Watts also gives an exceptional performance in the leading role, and that coupled with the resounding humor and emotion of the film makes it one of my all time favorites.
July 7, 2018
The movie follows a fascinating crime adventure story set in Los Angeles for a while. The many threads here have the makings of a great story centered on a newly arrived innocent young actress who befriends an amnesiatic crash victim with thousands of dollars in her purse. It feels like a classic "edgy mystery action" movie like "True Romance"...until a reality twist reveals a much grittier, real, and petty version. The story is challenging and requires interpretation, and viewers have to be looking for that type of experience to enjoy it. The characters are interesting, and the performances are outstanding. One of the more coherent Lynch films, in my opinion, this movie still has a lot of unexplained symbolism and scenes that can be pointlessly debated (yay) and really just bloat the running time. Although overall I am positive, it bugs me that the reality shift comes at a point that seems unconnected to the events occurring at that moment - it just happens, like an egg timer went off. Is the story telling here genius or lazy? Some of each, I would say, but worth it to watch and find out what you think.
½ July 2, 2018
Mulholland Drive (stylized as Mulholland Dr.) is a 2001 American neo-noir mystery film written and directed by David Lynch.
This psychological neo-noir mystery thriller certainly has it all: from suspense to sex, mystery to magic, dreams to death. It raises more questions than it answers, contains seemingly unrelated scenes, and makes you wonder what is dream and what is reality. Is the film a classic or just an extended daytime soapie? Whatever it is, it certainly has moments of real tension and suspense. Considered to be one of the greatest films of all time.
GGND PdO AFI 1001.
½ June 23, 2018
This movie was brutal.
June 21, 2018
Mulholland Drive isn't for everyone, but then it is a given with David Lynch. But those willing to give it a chance might be in for a surprise. Moody and atmospheric Mullholand drive is unarguably Lynch's most commercial film although at more than 3 hours it tests the audience's patience. It also contains one of the most unintentional boo moments which occurs early in the film as a character after recounting a dream makes his way through a car park. No matter what you think, you are bound to ponder about this film long after it is over. (A Lynchian nightmare).
May 25, 2018
Favorite movie of all time.
May 6, 2018
The woman is like a stick with a retractable blade, looks like a thing and under your eyes it becomes another "(from the movie GILDA).

Mulholland drive is the road that in the film is only traveled for a short distance, is the linear path that is not followed, which is lost in a shortcut. The nightmare of blue velvet opened up as it neared the hollow of an auricle, and from this came out, once the nightmare had ended; Mulhland drive does not reflect this pseudo linearity, the images are swallowed by the darkness of a box in a zoomed in, and from this they immediately come back to light, but without the glance backtracking, it is the darkness itself that moves away. The black screen is not the filter between two universes, it is not the boundary line between dream and nightmare, but it is the plane on which they join.
Since "everything is recorded is all a tape", to a music and a voice you can associate a different face, a song can be reproposed (as Dean Stockwell does in blue velvet singing Candy colored clown) by someone who in fact has never performed, and so a character who has been played by an actress, becomes in another guise. Three are the female figures who exchange the parts: Rita becomes Camilla, Camilla becomes Betty, and Betty becomes Diane. The latter is not a new name in the Lynch universe, as it was the one Kyle MacLachlan addressed in Twin Peaks when he spoke with his tape recorder. The Diane of Detective Cooper is therefore also only a tape, "it's all recorded", and it's never present as there is no band. Three actresses / characters compete for the part of the film's protagonist in the film, and three actresses (Watts, Harring, George) and three characters, compete for the main actress in Mulholland drive. All the other cast members remain in their role, as the cowboy says "the rest of the cast can also remain, it depends on you, but the main actress does not, that does not depend on you", she can not remain.
Rita Hayworth said: "the men go to bed with Gilda, but they wake up with Rita" and for Diane "it's time to wake up".
April 25, 2018
This movie is highly over-rated. It was originally a pilot for another series like twin peaks. when that failed to be picked up the director made this movie from the bones of the pilot. It is clearly seen in early parts of the film when several characters and elements are introduced and left hanging. Of course the director was clever to save a failed pilot and make it into a movie, but it is nowhere near the masterpiece that people are suggesting. The few main characters that the director takes and spins into the tacked on ending switch is part of a clever plot but you can see this was not planned based on how many of the early elements have nothing to do with this last minute switch. If this was acknowledged I would have more respect, but the bait and switch of it all and how people lap it up make it really annoying to see that it was a quick rework of a failed pilot and nowhere near so fantastic master class of story telling.
½ March 4, 2018
MULHOLLAND DRIVE is a film that will not leave my mind anytime soon- it is one of the most fascinating and ingeniously twisted movies ever made. It could only be made by a truly special and tremendously gifted film director- this kind of talent to conceive such a complex but sensical structure and this kind of creative uniqueness is what makes David Lynch a one-of-a-kind director. I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this before, and I don't think I will ever see one like it again.