Mulholland Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulholland Drive Reviews

October 14, 2017
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary come again?
½ October 10, 2017
Although it may be confusing in its final act to some, Mullholland Drive is a great film with the same ol' surreal characters Lynch is known for plus some new, slightly more conventional but just as surreal elements. This and Twin Peaks are excellent works that will introduce newcomers to Lynch very well.
September 30, 2017
Easily some of Lynch's best work, this movie, like Lynch's Lost Highway and later on Twin Peaks Season 3 explores the existence of multiple realities and the importance of dreams.
½ September 29, 2017
Holy shit-balls. This movie felt like one weird, twisted nightmare. Took me a good second to finally understand what the first hour and a half meant and Jesus Christ, it's so fucking weird. Highly recommended!
September 22, 2017
David Lynch at his finest; Mulholland Drive is a surreal neo-noir art piece full of the red herrings, doppelgangers, and motifs Lynch is best known for. Naomi Watts is incredible as the suspiciously naive Betty Elms and Laura Harring does well as the mysterious Rita. I felt like the constant misdirection and eerie subtext created distrust with what you're witnessing, which perfectly captures the atmosphere of Hollywood.
September 16, 2017
This is actually a David Lynch production that I think I figured out. I interpreted it as the price of fame, versus the harsh reality and what happens if you are not good enough. Very enjoyable and more accessible than Lynch's other work.
September 14, 2017
What the hell do I rate this? Is it a masterpiece? Is it complete drivel? Is this genius or pretentious? Is it both? How? What is this??? This movie is really difficult to understand. Well, most of the second act is straightforward, I suppose. A woman who is suffering memory loss befriends an aspiring actress in L.A. and they try to uncover the mystery of the woman's background. I'll continue the rest of this review later...
September 8, 2017
I'm a fan of Naomi Watts' work, and there's a reason this film put her on the map. The high level of acting mixed with the creativity and originality of the script makes this film a MUST see! Make sure you're paying attention, because you don't want to miss a single detail until the credits role.
August 30, 2017
'Mulholland Drive' is effortlessly one of the best films of the 21st century. Genius director David Lynch takes his audience head first into a surreal, neo-noir world full of complex characters, nightmarish imagery and amazing soundtrack (everything you'd expect from Lynch) and after the credits close you feel like you have just woken up from a dream that is both terrifying and beautiful. Naomi Watts delivers one of the most unforgettable performances in film history and captivates the audience in every scene she is in, while being backed up from wonderful performances by Laura Harring and Justin Theroux. Angelo Badalamenti's haunting score greatly contributes to the atmosphere of the film, as well as several stand out songs such as "Sixteen Reasons" by Connie Stevens and "Llorando" by Rebekah Del Rio. While mainstream audiences may be put off by the slow-moving plot line and many unanswered questions, 'Mulholland Drive' offers a compelling and thought-provoking storyline for those who dare.
August 20, 2017
Dark, clever & engrossing.
August 4, 2017
Having been familiar with Lynch's Twin Peaks TV series, this is just like a continuation of that same style. A noir thriller complete with mysterious femme fatale, strange characters and surrealist dream sequences, like it dark and strange turns while still keeping a glossy exterior.
July 30, 2017
Claimed to have been left open-ended for interpretation on what had transpired in the film, it's actually not that much of a challenge from my interpretation on this puzzling, mysterious film based on its genuine unconventional narrative structure. Except that there are still a couple moments in the films that are puzzle pieces that can't be located easily till after another viewing, which signifies the surreal element to the substance. While it's quite engaging enough to be utterly entertaining without swerving into convolution territory, it adds into David Lynch's reputation after "Blue Velvet" with ways of attempting to disturb the viewers, with this film being more enjoyable and can be seen as a twisted relative to "All About Eve" regarding a popped-up comparison between the two as a letter to Hollywood. The most memorably striking quality that stood out is the music that emphasizes the aura of the scene. "Mulholland Drive" can be disturbing in some places, but it's surely worth seeing, and as a probable supplemental preparation to Lynch's other similarly-structured film "Inland Empire". (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 28, 2017
A Buddhist film which will leave audiences guessing WTF is going on the entire movie.
July 22, 2017
Delightfully eerie and bizarre, Mulholland Drive finds David Lynch firing on all cylinders.
July 21, 2017
I won't accept any answer of what this movie means because it is the experience that matters and only Lynch can do that so well.
July 10, 2017
I waited a few days to write this review because I was so brought back by Mulholland Drive. David Lynch creates an extremely confusing ride. Their is almost no structure at all to this film. There are some good scenes and the film can feel sad and eerie at times but I think Mulholland Drive is too pretentious for its own good.
July 10, 2017
It contains true horror, true comedy, and everything in between. You'll laugh, cry and you'll be scared shitless. On top of that, it tells a beautiful story in the best way it could. Naomi Watts' great performance is the cherry on top.
July 5, 2017
Dashed dreams and expectation of Hollywood. This is a weird movie, but not as weird as I expected. Kind of brings to mind "Kiss Me Deadly" in a fantastical way.
½ July 1, 2017
Cult film from 2001 it appears but left me utterly confused at the end.
It took two viewings to get a faint understanding of events and even then after cheating and reading original reviews of the film from its release.
The film begins with an apparent car accident on Mullholand Drive in the Hollywood hills of Los Angeles
leading to the amnesia of a survivor (Laura Herring).
Herrings character (at this point unnamed) stumbles into the house of an aspiring Hollywood actress Betty Elms (Naomi Watts).
Betty with Herring who takes the name of Rita, after Rita Hayworth the actress try to solve the mystery of the amnesia meanwhile in other peripheral storylines that at first appear to have no relation to these events. People are shot, lesbian relationships develop, there is a Quentin Tarantino like director, casting sessions. The list seems endless.
There is a relationship to these pretty innocuous events that becomes apparent after studying the film you have just watched!
It takes a lot of concentration and detective work. Something that you won't expect from most films.
Director David Lynch delivers a film that is very thought provoking.