Mulholland Drive - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mulholland Drive Reviews

August 20, 2017
Dark, clever & engrossing.
August 4, 2017
Having been familiar with Lynch's Twin Peaks TV series, this is just like a continuation of that same style. A noir thriller complete with mysterious femme fatale, strange characters and surrealist dream sequences, like it dark and strange turns while still keeping a glossy exterior.
July 30, 2017
Claimed to have been left open-ended for interpretation on what had transpired in the film, it's actually not that much of a challenge from my interpretation on this puzzling, mysterious film based on its genuine unconventional narrative structure. Except that there are still a couple moments in the films that are puzzle pieces that can't be located easily till after another viewing, which signifies the surreal element to the substance. While it's quite engaging enough to be utterly entertaining without swerving into convolution territory, it adds into David Lynch's reputation after "Blue Velvet" with ways of attempting to disturb the viewers, with this film being more enjoyable and can be seen as a twisted relative to "All About Eve" regarding a popped-up comparison between the two as a letter to Hollywood. The most memorably striking quality that stood out is the music that emphasizes the aura of the scene. "Mulholland Drive" can be disturbing in some places, but it's surely worth seeing, and as a probable supplemental preparation to Lynch's other similarly-structured film "Inland Empire". (B+)

(Full review TBD)
July 28, 2017
A Buddhist film which will leave audiences guessing WTF is going on the entire movie.
July 22, 2017
Delightfully eerie and bizarre, Mulholland Drive finds David Lynch firing on all cylinders.
July 21, 2017
I won't accept any answer of what this movie means because it is the experience that matters and only Lynch can do that so well.
July 10, 2017
I waited a few days to write this review because I was so brought back by Mulholland Drive. David Lynch creates an extremely confusing ride. Their is almost no structure at all to this film. There are some good scenes and the film can feel sad and eerie at times but I think Mulholland Drive is too pretentious for its own good.
July 10, 2017
It contains true horror, true comedy, and everything in between. You'll laugh, cry and you'll be scared shitless. On top of that, it tells a beautiful story in the best way it could. Naomi Watts' great performance is the cherry on top.
July 5, 2017
Dashed dreams and expectation of Hollywood. This is a weird movie, but not as weird as I expected. Kind of brings to mind "Kiss Me Deadly" in a fantastical way.
½ July 1, 2017
Cult film from 2001 it appears but left me utterly confused at the end.
It took two viewings to get a faint understanding of events and even then after cheating and reading original reviews of the film from its release.
The film begins with an apparent car accident on Mullholand Drive in the Hollywood hills of Los Angeles
leading to the amnesia of a survivor (Laura Herring).
Herrings character (at this point unnamed) stumbles into the house of an aspiring Hollywood actress Betty Elms (Naomi Watts).
Betty with Herring who takes the name of Rita, after Rita Hayworth the actress try to solve the mystery of the amnesia meanwhile in other peripheral storylines that at first appear to have no relation to these events. People are shot, lesbian relationships develop, there is a Quentin Tarantino like director, casting sessions. The list seems endless.
There is a relationship to these pretty innocuous events that becomes apparent after studying the film you have just watched!
It takes a lot of concentration and detective work. Something that you won't expect from most films.
Director David Lynch delivers a film that is very thought provoking.
June 22, 2017
A surrealist, neo-noir film that oozes with complexity and eeriness. The totality of this film is grounded not only on the protagonist's subconscious but on the viewer as well. You always have to read between the lines to discover how creepy and sad this movie is.
Can't explain any further, but two things for sure - Hollywood and unrequited love is like oil and water, and David Lynch is a peculiar, insane filmmaker to love.
June 22, 2017
It is by far my favorite Lynch movie. I'm always impressed at the way he manages to find the best cinematographical strategies to convey his message. Really haunting.
June 18, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies so I had to rate it 5 stars. Some people I show to can't finish this movie and get frustrated but if you stick to the end and put it together like a puzzle you'll see how genius it is. I get to some this is not the movie for them which is fine but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
June 16, 2017
Lynch' magnum opus of visual expressionism through the art of storytelling. Excessive in length perhaps, but ultimately a mind boggling thriller that demands repeat viewings.
June 10, 2017
Second time I watch this. It seems this time the story does make sense. The dvd version has a cut that makes more sense. It is simpler. It is still strange and dreamy. Now that I have heard more about lesbians, it makes sense that the blonde was lesbian from the start. The first part is off. Is it dream? It's not memory. Memory is the ending. What is the cube? Who is the old couple laughing at Diane/Betty? Many unanswered questions. My take is that, the poor Diane became insane after the contract killing, and that is the first part. Dreaming insanity from a guilty person. Guilty of contracting the killing of her love. Her egotistical love didn't die though.
June 10, 2017
This is David Lynch at the peak of his powers. The atmosphere is amorphous and moody, yet still manages a sense of dreamlike hope. We are all reeled into the angelic trenches of the city. The mysterious allure of Los Angeles has never before been so magnificently employed on screen. The acting is superb, the mystic score by Angelo Badalamenti is enthralling, and the twists and turns of the film turn us into obsessive detectives. The film is a puzzle, a riddle with endless interpretive answers. It perfectly rides the road of masterful surrealism, as opposed to another path of excessive abstraction (which some of his other works often do). This is a major classic, stamped into the record book of artistic achievement.
½ June 1, 2017
4.5/5. I don't know if David Lynch is a genius, or insane, or both. Watch it and tell me.
May 21, 2017
Once in a while, there is a movie that is hailed by critics and audience alike that leaves me totally baffled. This movie ranks among my most hated where I find myself wanting my two hours back, it feels to me like an artist that just threw paint on the canvas because he could. I haven't hated a movie this much since Breathless.
May 20, 2017
I love this movie. Still don't completely understand everything that's going on but this Lynch for you. Every scene is so well thought out. Creepy in parts too!