Multiple Maniacs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Multiple Maniacs Reviews

December 4, 2016
What an insane ride! This movie was so much fun to watch and so provocative. Lots of wacky and weird moments from beginning to end.
½ September 10, 2016
"Performing acts is my specialty. Now, turn over." Possibly even better than Pink Flamingos, this film defies expectations and categorizations, having me laughing my ass off things I had no idea could happen in a movie. Bravo, Mr. Waters.
September 10, 2016
Why didn't anyone ever tell me Divine gets raped by a giant lobster in this? That was the best thing ever.
September 7, 2016
Not the greatest flick of Waters but it is one of the funniest, Divine stars as a ring mistress who operates a carnival that robs the patron, until she got bored and decided to kill them. Everything went wrong from that point onward. It was crude and silly but it was hilarious. Fans of John Waters won't be disappointed.
August 24, 2016
So thrilled to have seen this on the big screen last night! Heartwarming to see all my old John Waters faves in this film. It really is atrocious in the most wonderful way!
½ August 8, 2016
John Waters' sophomore feature is just as decadent, unhinged, and gut-bustingly hilarious as anything else he directed. Shot in a shoddy black-and-white with low-fi audio, Waters still makes the most of his negligible budget by keeping the film consistently bizarre, and ugly in the most jovial way possible. Deliriously funny and unpredictable (featuring at least one instance of Deus Ex Machina), Multiple Maniacs is a crown gem for the director's oeuvre, and perhaps the closest a camp-fest gets to being art.
½ January 2, 2016
I need to look up the meaning of trash, which I know John Waters proudly claims his movies are. If it directly translates as total rubbish then it's pretty spot on. This looks like the school project of a backward child. The acting couldn't be worse, the story is ridiculous, it is not entertaining in the slightest. It is mearly an outlet for Waters' perversions, one of which is the pigshit thick good, Divine. Just don't bother watching it, or any of his other films.
½ January 30, 2015
If your idea of fun is watching Divine get raped by a giant lobster and destroy a car with a sledgehammer, then this is the movie for you! All others, beware.
October 13, 2014
If you'd get a giggle out of Divine being raped by a giant lobster, this might be for you.
July 4, 2014
Drags on a bit with the dialogue, but the funny parts are HILARIOUS. Divine kills it in every scene. ??????
November 24, 2013
If you know John Waters 70s stuff, you almost don't need to watch this film. It's pretty much the same plot as all the others, but in a much weirder, cheaper format. He was obviously still finding his feet, since the filming and direction is wildly uneven and there isn't much in the way of snappy dialogue. Divine is pretty good but dare I say it, even for her completely over the top. She hadn't quite got her persona down yet, and her lack of funny lines means there's nothing to counterbalance the horror. Thankfully she gets 'taken advantage of' by a giant lobster which provides much needed brevity just after a typically violent (obviously Manson-inspired *shudder*) scene. Before it turns into a surreal monster movie though, there are some funny moments poking fun at all the usual Waters targets: heterosexual suburbanites, the church and the police. But whilst it's entertaining, the dialogue just wasn't campy enough. It's well written, but oddly verbose. David Lochary and Mink Stole are the stand-outs, not Divine. Having said all this, the visual jokes are pretty hilarious. For Waters fans only.
½ September 25, 2013
It's not everyday you see a 300 pound drag queen get raped by a giant lobster, but it's that sort of unrestrained unsavory energy that makes this film so much fun to watch
½ August 26, 2012
I don't understand why this hasn't been re-released!?
½ July 26, 2012
Not as funny as Female Trouble and the story is a bit weaker. The lobster scene was pretty funny to me.
March 4, 2012
"Oh, Divine, you're still beautiful...I love your sickness, I love your crimes, I love your murder...you're still the most beautiful woman, nothing can change that...and now you're a maniac, oh but what a state of mind that can be...how exciting, how stimulating..."
John Waters' early masterpiece is breathtakingly trashy and visually stylish. It serves up a vomit covered dish blended with sex, religion, obscenity and murder. A film that exists in a time and a place more overtly and crucially than most all others. It is almost inexplicable and unexplainable as an experience, but its power, pitch black humor and style is near perfect. The last twenty minutes are incredible. The stabbings, the guts, the LOBSTER, Divine stumbling around covered in blood to 'Mars, the Bringer of War'. It doesn't get much better. You will either love it or hate it, and I love it.
I could easily knock it down a star or so for technical aspects. But that would just be stupid. This movie is a perfect entity of classic John Waters trash. I love the acting, the camerawork, the grain and the fuzz, the pops and crackles, the abrupt editing. It works extremely well in every way. It defies every convention ever known with enthusiasm and humor.
"I'm a maniac that can't be cured...I'm DIVINE."
Try to tell me that is not PERFECT.
divinetrash
June 27, 2011
The film is a little uneven, unsure of where to go exactly and how to get there, but, trust me, what a fun ride it is. The cast is in top shape as always, and like in any Waters film there are plenty of shocks to be found. Always hilarious and highly enjoyable.
February 7, 2011
This is my new favorite movie, if for the giant lobster rape alone. (Though the "rosary job" was also a treat.) So excited to be working on the Divine doc!
February 5, 2011
I watched this a couple of months or so ago, decided to chew it over before reviewing and now I come to do so I can't remember a great deal about it, which possibly tells you all you need to know about the quality of the movie. Poking fun at, among other things, the Roman Catholic church and the victims of the Manson Family, Multiple Maniacs certainly goes for the jugular in terms of tastelessness; the problem is, it's just not funny enough. John Waters is quite capable of writing amusing dialogue but there's precious little on display here. Instead, the movie is littered with tedious, over-talkative scenes that take an eternity to go nowhere, and even the two most infamous sequences - the "rosary job" administered on Divine by Mink Stole and the surreal appearance of "Lobstora" - outstay their welcome by several minutes. Curiously, Multiple Maniacs works best in its quieter moments, when it's not desperately trying to be offensive. For example, as I've said, the "rosary job" goes on forever and isn't all that funny, but the build up, with Divine's voiceover telling us one thing and the visuals exactly the opposite, is highly amusing. I also enjoyed David Lochary and Mary Vivian Pearce's star-crossed lovers routine.