Murder in the First - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder in the First Reviews

October 10, 2016
This movie features some great acting from Kevin Bacon and a bit from Slater, but not much else. Its rather a routine and mechanical film, embellishes the truth a lot such as the ending. In real life, Young was transferred twice and then skipped out and escaped without ever being found again. In the movie he dies? How does that work? The movie is decent but not incredible, a routine legal drama that doesn't maximize on its potential.
August 31, 2016
I absolutely loved this movie, it's a film that I could watch over and over again
August 24, 2016
Excellent movie. Captivating. Fastest two hours I have experienced in a movie for some time. Keven Bacon was outstanding.
November 3, 2015
Tositapahtumiin perustuva vankiladraama Alcatrazista. Hyvät näyttelijät. Ahdistava, mutta loistava elokuva. (Suom. Alcatraz - kohtaloni)
October 9, 2015
Interesting as it is a true story even if the story a little predictable. Good performance from Bacon though.
August 13, 2015
Just another great movie that's worth being in my DVD collection.
June 23, 2015
Loosely based on fact drama set in Alcatraz. Bacon gives one of his best performances and Oldman as the warden is right sadistic cunt.
June 20, 2015
one of kevin bacons best performances
May 24, 2015
Interesting with Alcatraz but really wasn't feeling this.
½ April 24, 2015
Bacon's performance not withstanding,this is a rather listless movie of a rather important matter......but that one great performance elevates it to watchable fare.
November 18, 2014
This one really got to be. The Magdalene Sisters is more horrific, especially because of that ending, and the absurdity and scale of the abuse in Ireland. I'm American, and that dark chronicle seems foreign, while Murder in the First is all too familiar. This one reeks of our national sickness of soul. I don't think a film has angered me more. Yes, it ends with a positive, which is that Alcatraz shut down. What hasn't changed is the fundamental perspective that would allow a place like Alcatraz exist as an avatar, a monument to cruelty. We still incarcerate people for no good reason, and crucially, we're more than willing to look the other way at horrible treatment once inmates are in there. There is this notion we have that if you got yourself put in there, you deserve anything you get. As a nation, we don't want to know and we don't care. To this day, we still subject inmates to solitary confinement for long periods of time.

After seeing this movie, I was sick with rage and violent thoughts. A part of me wanted to go on a killing spree, preferably of the entire race. We have an unlimited capacity for cruelty, to a level which I'm not sure can be balanced by random acts of kindness or whatever. Prisons are the ultimate test of our natures, because the opportunity for cruelty is afforded, abetted, and legitimized by society's tacit approval. Dostoyevsky saw this, and declared that the character of a people can be seen by how they treat their prisoners. He also wrote a character who said that it would be better for humanity not to exist than for one innocent child to suffer a cruel fate. In every meaningful way, henri Young was this innocent child, and we haven't changed, even if we've closed Alcatraz.
½ September 6, 2014
Kevin Bacon's overacting may have spoiled parts of this story, it was in fact Christian Slater who was the more interesting Actor in this film. The tale itself (having been inspired by a true story) is a worthy tale to tell, but it was a little stretched out and uninteresting in parts.
August 2, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/27/2011)
July 7, 2014
Terrifying true story great acting. Where were the Academy awards
½ November 9, 2013
Brilliant judicial drama. Very engaging - you empathize with Henri Young and wince at the hardships he faced. Also makes you realise how despicable people, especially people in authority, can be.

Christian Slater is solid in the lead role. Standout performance, however, goes to Kevin Bacon. He makes the movie. How he did not get an Oscar nomination, I do not know. Gary Oldman is excellent as the bad guy, but that's a given. Good supporting cast which includes William H Macy, Embeth Davidz and Stephen Tobolowsky, plus Kyra Segewick and Mia Kirshner in minor roles.

Only dull note is the performance of R Lee Ermey as the judge. He was not convincing at all. He really should stick to gunnery sergeant roles...
October 16, 2013
Very manipulative and liberal with the story. But it does make a compelling case against the prison system and the inhumane conditions at Alcatraz. Bacon is good, hawke is convincing. It has a few good court room scenes, but it is not one to watch multiple times.
July 20, 2013
Kevin Bacon was brilliant in this movie. It's a truly horrific tale of injustice from start to
finish. Kevin Bacon is an excellent actor whose been in many a bad movie, but he always manages elevated the entire production by his performance.
½ May 12, 2013
Kevin Bacon stars as the prisoner behind bars!
½ May 11, 2013
Very good movie. Acting was superb on all fronts. Story excellent - and why not - it was mostly true.
April 18, 2013
One of my favorite movies with Christian Slater/Kevin Bacon!!!