My Brilliant Career Reviews

• Oct 05, 2020

An awful story and a waste of a woman's life and she hurt those around her and pursuit of becoming a writer was at her expense of having a meaningful life. As if she would be happy living alone forever more when she liked that guy so much.

• May 22, 2019

An unconventional romance. Gillian Armstrong's Australian period drama My Brilliant Career (1979) is a beautifully shot romance of passionate and willful characters. The Australian landscapes look like some kind of natural heaven of pastoral views. The plentiful amount of fuzzy animals is just a bonus to the sweet rural vistas and genuine arcs that stay true to character. Armstrong directs with an empathetic eye with focused on the female gaze. She says so much with a single glance of the camera. Armstrong gives her characters realistic depth with her sensitive direction that reveals emotions with close-ups on the eyes and face. My Brilliant Career is a refreshing take on period dramas as it gives a voice to its feminist leading lady that wants a career over marriage. It is so earnest and insistent in its message that the characters breath a passionate love onto the screen. Judy Davis is so cute and charismatic as the free spirited Sybylla Melvyn. Her flowing red tresses and adorable freckles beget her tomboy nature and insecure teenage girl. Davis is astounding as the sympathetic lead as she transforms from an immature girl into a confident young lady of her own choosing. My Brilliant Career is a showcase for Davis' acting prowess and a positive role model for young girls seeking a career instead of simply marrying away their dreams. I liked it a lot. Notably, a young Sam Neill is so suave and charming as the frustrated and shy Harry Beecham. His playful personality builds a delightful chemistry next to Judy Davis. You actually will wish he could have gotten the girl since Neill is so likable. The serene piano score is particularly mesmerizing throughout My Brilliant Career. The main theme that Sybylla plays several times is so gentle and dreamy that it projects an atmospheric ambiance onto My Brilliant Career. I can still hear its graceful chimes. I adored the stunning Wendy Hughes as the kindly Aunt Helen. Her sweet persona is welcome compared to the harsher ladies forcing their wills upon Sybylla. I liked Aileen Britton as the stern and dictating Grandma Bossier. Patricia Kennedy is nice as Aunt Gussie. Peter Whitford is fun and endearing as Uncle Julius. Julia Blake is excellent as the desperate and frustrated mother to Sybylla. Lastly, Robert Grubb is hilarious as the stuffy British suitor Frank Hawdon. Overall, My Brilliant Career takes care in showing not telling how characters feel with remarkable shots of faces in clever framing. Alongside sublime acting from Judy Davis and Sam Neill, Gillian Armstrong's expressive direction makes My Brilliant Career a classic period drama with an Australian edge.

• Jun 17, 2017

A classic Australian film. My Brilliant Career is a 1979 Australian period drama film directed by Gillian Armstrong 🍿 It's very good! 😀 I'd recommend it 👍🏼

• Jan 10, 2017

Loose adaption of an actual writer by the name of Sybylla Melvyn of the somewhat autobiography "My Brilliant Career" hence the title. Playing the character is Judy Davis on her first onscreen appearance along with Sam Neil as the extravagant Harry Beecham. The winner of 6 Australian movie awards out of 9 nominations.

• Mar 31, 2016

A wonderful piece of Australian cinema for fans of period pieces, this is beautiful writing and solid performances presenting a very respectable kind of romance, and shedding light on underprivileged individuals anywhere.

• Jul 20, 2015

1001 movies to see before you die. A good drama about life as a woman trying to make a living outside normal societal structures. Some decent story, but a bit tedious towards the end.

• Mar 27, 2014

A visually stunning and relatable tale of quiet domestic rebellion. For all it's reputation, this contains probably Judy Davis' most restrained performance ever, and is all the better for it.

• Feb 27, 2014

A mesmerizing portrait of life in the Australian bush during the 1890s, it shows the high costs and the satisfying rewards granted to those who either can or must live independent of the expectations they've been saddled with by those around them.

• Jan 30, 2014

A headstrong woman defies the mores of nineteenth century australia by not marrying in this tender feminist film.

• Oct 26, 2013

2.0/4.0 Beautiful but overlong and occasionally boring tale (despite a 100-minute running time) of a turn-of-the-twentieth-century young, tomboyish Australian female (Judy Davis) wanting to make something out of herself despite her family's desires to marry her off. When sent to spend some time with her wealthy grandma, she is charmed by a rich young man (Sam Neill) while never losing direction of her aims. Davis is good but her character gets a bit annoying at times as we don't really get a sense of what she wants to do till the very end. While scenery is beautiful, nothing really happens events-wise in the first hour or so. Some interesting development takes place in last 30 minutes and lasts for 15 minutes or so but by then it is a little too late. Nominated for One Oscar: Costume Design.