My Old Lady Reviews

• Feb 16, 2019

A tortuous watch and had to give up 20 minutes before the end. I liked the setting but its overly drawn out and I frankly could not warm to Kline or indeed anyone in this rather indulgent stab at If its set in Paris its got to be chic .Sorry its just miserable.

• Jan 03, 2019

Fairly entertaining, slightly amusing drama lives mainly on the good performers and its Paris setting.

• Film C Super Reviewer
    Jul 23, 2017

Despite the exceptional talents drawn together in this movie, it gets to a point quite early on that knowing the ending really is unimportant. Kline is a deeply unlikable character and his self pitying persona sucks out all joy that this movie has potential to deliver.

• May 21, 2017

A dramedy that fails on the comedy and is very heavy on the serious drama that involves the subject of suicide. It just was slow, heavy, and mostly boring.

• Mar 18, 2017

Charming quirky relationship drama with a light smattering of comedy.

Charming quirky relationship drama with a light smattering of comedy.

• Jan 07, 2017

Strange arrangements make for strange bedfellows.

Strange arrangements make for strange bedfellows.

• Nov 28, 2016

These three actors blended fantastically

These three actors blended fantastically

• Sep 18, 2016

Dreary, uninspiring.

Dreary, uninspiring.

• Aug 20, 2016

I enjoyed this film all around: narrative, performances, pacing, mood. It's a film about love and selfishness, a film about human weakness and human strength, a film about resentment and hope. Some complain that the film is rather dark and that suicide and death are its featured components. Nothing could be further from the truth. And even though Mathias has done little in his life and lost a lot, he never dwells in despair, and we can thank Kevin Kline for his balanced performance. The story slowly unravels as more and more is revealed about Mathiasis' fathers affair with the "old lady," Mathaldie. Such a close connection in names it's a wonder Mathias didn't pick up on at any time--possible narrative flaw here. As stated, the film has dark, brooding overtones, yet Mathias never allows it to get to morose, that which can be attributed to Mr. Kline's natural bubbly inclinations. There is tension between the characters, of course, but it's never allowed to get out of hand, the film often bouncing right back up to stay on an even keel, for who wants a film that is all dark and dire anyway? If you want that, go watch Saw, for a good waste of time. Overall, a great film, and unlike many I sit down in front of these days, it kept me from beginning to end. Well done. Well done, indeed.

• Jul 18, 2016

Yes this is not a fast Jason Bourne movie. This one takes time to reveal each layer, but the wait is well worth it. A wonderful movie. deeply moving.