Mystery Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystery Men Reviews

August 16, 2016
I love this smart comedy that knows its material! This is such a wonderful, funny, quotable movie, with characters that I can't help but fall in love with and amazing performances across the board.
½ August 10, 2016
really dumb random crude not worth ur time
½ August 2, 2016
Thanks to T-Mobile I'm going to see Suicide Squad this Friday! #tmobiletuesdays
½ July 17, 2016
Honestly the worst movie ever made. If someone punched me in the face, then made me rewatch this movie, I'd be more upset about the movie than the face-punch."
July 13, 2016
I am into a variety of comedies and I really love watching films that have a bunch of odditites. I also love the fact that this has a big cast, especially Ben Stiller and Hank Azaria (The Simpsons, which I have enjoyed since I was a kid). I don't care for Janeane Garofalo due to her cockiness, I love her character though. Ben Stiller's performance was comical. Same goes for Mr. Hank Azaria and the others. I didn't have any problems with this film and I just consider this one of my all time, if not ALL TIME favorite underrated films of the 1990s. The laughs don't end and is just perfect for anyone who loves comedy. 5 stars and a thumbs up!
June 28, 2016
Underpowered as far as superhero movies go, but by far it makes up for it with likeable and sympathetic protagonists - even Stiller, who often portrays very grating characters. Azaria, Macy, Garofalo, and Mitchell are outstanding, as are Studi and Forlani, who are both among the most underrated big screen actors in the field.
April 30, 2016
Absolute favorite movie. Beyond brilliant.
½ March 2, 2016
Not as good as my 12yr old self recalled it to be
½ February 25, 2016
Considered a cult classic of underappreciated superhero films, Mystery Men's ensemble cast offered enticing value.

Coming from the late 1990's, Mystery Men comes from an era where superhero films were in a state of serious decline due to the failures of big-budget productions such as The Shadow (1994) and The Phantom (1996). Even the Batman quadrilogy (1989-1997) was put to an end due to the abysmal critical response to Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin (1997). And though Blade (1998) had sparked returning interest in the genre at that point, the full extent of the film's success was yet to be fully capitalized on. The lack of interest in the superhero genre is a clear factor contributing to the poor box office performance of Mystery Men, but on top of that it's also a generally inconsistent film.
It's clear from the intro that Mystery Men's universe is inspired by the Batman quadrilogy. The feature begins with a tracking shot over Champion City which reveals a big spectacle of darkness and city lights, much like Tim Burton's vision for Gotham City in Batman (1989). This means that Mystery Men captures rather colourful production design with plenty of glowing lights, even if much of the feature plays out underneath a lot of shadow. The musical score on behalf of Stephen Warbeck helps to evoke a larger scale feeling which matches up to this feeling as well. However, none of this paves the way for any great action. There is a modicum of half-decent action-themed sketches in the climax of the film, but up until then there is really nothing which leaves the jokes to carry everything up until then. And if viewers can't appreciate the style of humour then Mystery Men ends up being essentially a long experience which just drags on. For me, that's very much what is was.
Being a big-budget production, Mystery Men clearly wishes to be a clever parody of superhero films with enough stylish flair to offer a modicum of the blockbuster value synonymous with the genre it parodies. Unfortunately, the story is ultimately taken too seriously while the gags are too silly to match up to things, creating a stiff tonal inconsistency. But nobody cares about the story as it is intentionally generic and the film is intended as a comedy, so the value lies in the extent of laughs it is capable of procuring.
One of the central problems is the pacing. Mystery Men progresses at a rate far too slow for its own good, and this is a particular problem for a film which is both a comedy and a superhero film. The film gets too distracted by its large number of main actors that it turns into a long period of sketchers surrounding multiple strange characters, making the narrative into a directionless series of absurdist gags with inconsistent comedic results. This repetitive structure plays out against the backdrop of a genertic story which lacks any character development or much original satire, leaving it to become obsolete. Clearly, there is not all that much genuine narrative strength in Mystery Men, and though this is ignored so that the film can stretch on for a two-hour period, the lack of genuine intelligence in the humour ends up stretching little source material on for far too long.
Mystery Men is less of a superhero satire and more of a big-budget vehicle for an ensemble cast of comedians and actors. Alas, the characters of Mystery Men don't end up maintaining any kind of iconography but rather end up one-dimensional jokes and archetypes which circulate in the same comic material, failing to emphasize the true extent of comic talents maintained by the ensemble cast.
Ben Stiller's performance shows him oscillating between monotony and intentionally pretentious imitations of anger. His superpower apparently appears to be throwing tantrums which replicate epileptic seizures more than anything else. This is intended to be a humourous façade for Ben Stiller's neurotic archetype which he has played in countless films, but it's hardly enough to rise above the low standard set by his many preceding performances. The film doesn't even carry the appropriate lighthearted comic material to embrace the natural charms of the actor since it is too serious for his own good. Ben Stiller proves to be of no comic or dramatic foil in Mystery Men.
Hank Azaria's shtick in Mystery Men is composed of him dressed like someone from Arabian nights and talking with an over-the-top British accent used to deliver too many repetitive cutlery puns. The ridiculous extent of intentional cheesiness and stupidity in this gimmick may provide laughs in spots, but as a whole it grows tiresome very quickly and becomes simply a loud annoyance. It looks like he has fun with the part and his energy definitely offers some moments of flair, but it is too much of a one-dimensional joke without any depth of versatility to it. Hank Azaria is nothing special in Mystery Men.
William H. Macy is given too little screen time and a role which seems too serious to match the ridiculous humourous nature of the rest of the film, failing to utilize his charms. And Paul Reubens' lisp is a repetitive and annoying burden on the entire film. It's astounding that after this many years nobody has figured out that a lisp does not make a character any funnier but procures little more than annoyance, even when it comes from Pee-Wee.
Janeane Garafolo is given an oddball role which she takes seriously enough to bring some sporadic laughs in, but they can be inconsistent. There are few actors who have much lasting appeal, but Greg Kinnear is one of them. Greg Kinner's small supporting effort as Captain Amazing is a nice touch because he carries the appropriate handsome appeal and larger-than-life egotism for the role. And since Geoffrey Rush is a respected actor who recently won the Academy Award for Best Actor, the ridiculously unserious nature of his effort in Mystery Men carries a nice contrast.

Mystery Men carries strong ambition and some colourful set pieces, but too distracted by its large cast to actually do anything with them, it ultimately drags them through a slow and overly long feature with an inconsistent balance between thin humour and non-compelling drama.
½ February 1, 2016
Basically unwatchable and dated.
January 5, 2016
In the metropolis of Champion City, the would-be superhero team of Mr. Furious (Ben Stiller), The Shoveler (William H. Macy), and The Blue Raja (Hank Azaria) attempt to make a name for themselves, but their suspect skills make them ineffective, and they find themselves upstaged by the city's most successful superhero, Captain Amazing (Greg Kinnear). However, Amazing is finding that his effectiveness at fighting crime has practically made his job obsolete, and without any worthy adversaries remaining (some of them are either dead, in exile, or still in jail), his corporate sponsors are beginning to pull their funding. To create a need for himself, Amazing uses his alter ego, billionaire lawyer Lance Hunt, to argue for the release of insane supervillain Casanova Frankenstein (Geoffrey Rush). The plan backfires; once reunited with Tony P (Eddie Izzard) and his Disco Boys, Casanova Frankenstein blows up the insane asylum, captures Amazing, and prepares to unleash a doomsday device: the "Psycho-frakulator", which lethally bends reality. Mr. Furious, while spying on Casanova Frankenstein's mansion, discovers Amazing's capture and informs the others. After an unsuccessful rescue attempt, the three realize they need more allies, and through word-of-mouth and try-outs, they recruit Invisible Boy (Kel Mitchell), The Spleen (Paul Reubens), and The Bowler (Janeane Garofalo). The newly formed team "assaults" Casanova, which only succeeds in annoying him and damaging his car. While drunk from celebrating their victory, the team is nearly killed in retaliation by Tony P and the Disco Boys, but they are saved at the last minute by The Sphinx (Wes Studi). The Sphinx trains them, but his methods annoy Mr. Furious - he has them complete rote team-building exercises and speaks exclusively in platitudes. They also seek out mad scientist Doc Heller (Tom Waits), who specializes in non-lethal weaponry, to equip them for their battle...

Back in 1999 the superhero genre wasn´t exploited the way it has been the past years, so I reckon "Mystery Men" filled that void and longing to see superheros on the screen. Well, not maybe the normal sort of superhero, but something more along the line of Kick-Ass and not The Avengers. Nevertheless, this spoof/parody of the superhero genre filled with both comedians and more serious actors goes full on with everything, but at the same time fails to find its own entity within the comic genre. The mix of comic features, darkness, drama and romance never manages to be packaged together in a satisfying way. Yes, the idea of believing in yourself and you will be able to succeed with anything you want is ok. Classic theme. So in the end for one shining moment, Mystery Men really become super-heroes and saves the day. Not a big surprise to say the least. The acting is very varied despite a big ensemble cast, the editing is choppy, the cinematography is way too 90s and the special effects are not up to scratch. And the lovely Claire Forlani isn´t given much to work with. "Mystery Men" is a product of the 90s and it shows, and I was a bit disappointed to re-see it again as I remembered it to be a bit better than it was. Trivia: The Mystery Men were the supporting cast of an underground superhero comic book called the Flaming Carrot. Mr. Furious and the Shoveler were the only ones from the comic to make it into the movie. Captain Amazing was created as a replacement for the Flaming Carrot, who was felt to be too bizarre to bring to the silver screen.
December 29, 2015
I love superheros, whether done in a fun, campy, cartoonish way, or grounded in their worlds; They can be shallow, or complex; they can be taken seriously or for granted; It is up to the creators and the audience. I personally enjoy the superheroes of Marvel and DC, because there are real characters, and they have a very mythical feel to them at the same time. "Mystery Men" does not deal with vigilantism or being a superpowered hero in the same way that Batman or Superman or any Marvel/DC stories do; instead this is closer to the tick, and exists in this wacky world, which frankly, I enjoyed watching.
December 19, 2015
Saw this when it first came out, and sorta liked it. I felt the same watching it again, they have a lot of great actors, but it feels lacking. I had higher hope considering the cast including Stiller, Macy, Azaria, Rush, Kinnear, Studi, etc. Worth a watch, but not great.
December 11, 2015
I rented this with a group of friends back in high school. During the movie, I kept reminding my friends periodically that we wasted $3 on renting this film. Those times were pretty much the only times we laughed. Needless to say, I didn't like it back in 2000.

Fast forward to 2015. I was looking through the movie channels during a free preview weekend and saw this was going to be on. I became curious as to whether my teenage self was right or if I was too immature to get the humor. So I set my DVR to record it and give it a second chance. I'm sure you already guessed by my rating that I still didn't like it.

It's amazing how so many funny people could come together to make such an unfunny film. It was just plain dumb. The only thing I found remotely funny was when Ben Stiller's character would get furious and then goof up instead of kicking ass. Even that wasn't exactly laugh out loud funny.

I don't get why this film has as much praise as it does. Seems like it should be universally panned. Judging by the fact that this is the only film this director EVER made, I think it pretty well sums up how bad it is.
½ November 3, 2015
74%
Crude but humorously effective, Mystery Men is one example of juvenile comedy done mostly right.
½ October 26, 2015
I couldn't remember if I liked this movie or not. While it has its moments, I feel the genre of B-List superheroes has been done a lot better in movies like "Kick Ass," "Super," and "Kick-Ass 2." Also, the discotheque villain/finale were done much, much better in "Kingsmen." Stiller is pretty funny in this movie and whatever happened to Claire Forlani? That chick was hot.
October 19, 2015
Good cast, stupid, goofball characters. Good for a larf or two.
October 5, 2015
Silly and ridiculous, but fun and amusing. A good quirky off-beat parody on superhero movies. It knew what it was and didn't try to be anything else. Of course Ben Stiller was the worst part, as always.
½ September 28, 2015
What it lacks in discipline, it makes up for in originality. It's quirky cast (which includes a largely A-list principle cast and many amusing cameos) and the conviction with which they play such goofy characters is not only funny and engaging, it is almost hypnotizing. This is a superhero caper that not only works as a brilliant spoof, but also a unique ensemble adventure comedy in its own right.
September 27, 2015
An underrated movie that spoofs the superhero genre.