Mystic River - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mystic River Reviews

July 14, 2017
Tom Guiry's acting was very underrated and overshadowed due to the star-studded cast.
July 5, 2017
A gripping thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Eastwood sets a dark tone that carries throughout the film, while Penn and Robbins put in some of their best work. The tragic tale tugs at your heart thanks to quality performances.
June 20, 2017
This movie captures an emotion from the start which is hard to describe. The end compliments the beginning and the middle is very well acted out. Three friends from childhood to midlife deal with several dramatic events and the repercussions of decisions made. This is a must see.
½ May 24, 2017
Solid movie with great story telling
½ May 21, 2017
A compelling mystery with great performances from Penn, Robbins and Bacon. Was overly long and dense but overall was solid.
May 19, 2017
The solemn notes of mystic river intertwined with it's brilliant plot and directing make this movie one to stand the test of time. Wonderful movie!
½ May 3, 2017
High quality movie, love the Boston setting.
The actors display great performances that keep viewers engaged emotionally during the entire film!
½ May 2, 2017
Heartbreakingly sad and occasionally funny but emotional from start to finish, Mystic River finds director Clint Eastwood and actors Sean Penn and Tim Robbins at the very top of their game. Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne also deliver powerful performances in a film that breaks your heart before the plot even kicks in.
½ April 11, 2017
Mystic River boasts an all-star cast that is highlighted by Tim Robbins unnerving performance. The film has plenty of twists and turns that could feel like a little much at times, but Clint Eastwoods professional direction raises this film up yet another level into something that's almost a masterpiece that raises plenty of intriguing questions
½ March 2, 2017
Over acted and underwhelming. A depressing and often unbelievable and unrealistic tale of three children whose paths have separated ways who become reunited in adulthood due to dire circumstances.
½ January 17, 2017
There's no exceptional acting... there's no exceptional plot... there's no exceptional anything! Criminally overrated.
½ January 13, 2017
over-the-top acting and brilliant screenplay.
January 10, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 17, 2016
starts slow but the plot thickens! relatable characters.
December 11, 2016
Great dark mystery. A wonderful movie, but too disturbing to watch more than once. Too dark a place to live.
December 1, 2016
phenomenal experience
½ November 20, 2016
This is another movie focused on 3 characters, which is something I like, but I bet is hard to balance. Perfectly giving us each of their problems while focusing on the central story. Clint Eastwood directs Mystic River and it was in my opinion the beginning of him becoming the masterful director we know him as today. Emmy Rossum of my favorite TV show since LOST is in this film. I keep digging into the crates and finding fantastic movies, making me disappointed in myself for never having seen them earlier.

Everyone in this ensemble is acting his or her ass off, including Tim Robbins. Tim's character had a tragedy happen to him as a youth and it has made him a little weird as an adult. The way they keep certain things from you and focus on his idiosyncrasies is a bit like Gone Girl, pointing you in an obvious direction. Before they reveal a twist that you couldn't see coming, though there are hints throughout the picture. Kevin Bacon is quoted as saying it was his favorite film he has ever worked on and Sean Penn's scenes had me on the verge of tears.

Thank God for Clint Eastwood, who is sincerely focused on making great films and so often brings perfection to the screen. The scenes are a bit drawn out in this film, based on a book and the score is the perfect fit to that. The film was also scored by Eastwood! In the end you get a satisfying conclusion to this seemingly simple mystery the movie presented you in the beginning. The female characters are a bit off to me, yet they are both portrayed incredibly. & Even though the initial bit of Laura Linney's closing monologue is moving, the ends seems a tangled mess. So you wanted your husband to be a gangster? Regardless, the boys bring out the best in this movie
November 12, 2016
Mystic River gives us a sight of anger in the first half of the movie, we Jimmy(Sean Penn) who has an older daughter from a previous relationship; Sean (Kevin Bacon) who's wife left him with their unborn child; Dave (Tim Robbins) who has a wife and kid, but is suffering from something in the inside, he wants something to go away but anytime he brings his son up and back from school, he sees his worst nightmare. Director Clint Eastwood has not only created something masterful here but he has also created a fact of losing something that means the world to you. How will you go to catch a killer? Would you kill your best friend if you thought he killed your daughter? I'll let you answer that, but it's like when Dave has changed in his personality, the whole group has changed. They still see each other but aren't as close as they use to be. But they seem to be missing it. (the movie doesn't tell you but you can sort of see it) There's a man in the movie who is named Just Ray, he does not appear but he gets mentioned in some conversations. He is believed to be one of Jimmy's associates, who done a robbery with him and was rumored to be living abroad. It is stated by Jimmy that Just Ray sends $500 dollars a month.
The movie works on different levels, you get carried away with dialogue and forget what the movie is about but that's how it works.
½ November 2, 2016
Absolutely brutal and tragic.
½ October 8, 2016
A near perfect tragedy.
The performances are near flawless, perhaps the only criticism would be that at times they risk becoming a bit over-the-top.
The story is fantastic, and the script is largely brilliant; its only let down would be that it fancies its drama over its authenticity at times.
This is a perfect film for anybody who enjoys unabashed tragedy / melodrama.

STRONGEST ELEMENTS:
- Captivating/Poignant Performances
- Script
WEAKEST ELEMENTS:
- Over-Playing Drama over Authenticity.