Naked Lunch Reviews

• May 27, 2020

An imperfect yet fascinating adaptation of a literary classic. It mixes together biographical elements of Burrough's life and characters, scenes and passages from Naked Lunch to create a fantastical fictionalized account of Burrough's journey to writing the famed novel. Directed by David Cronenberg, this movie is a disorienting, disgusting, disturbing, surreal, junk-fueled nightmare. It's nowhere near as superb as the novel is, but is still worth a watch (as long as you've read Naked Lunch FIRST). You'll never look at the art of writing the same way again.

• May 24, 2020

It defies genre conventions in a sickening way, it is darkly funny without being too offensive, and it has enough grotesque imaginery without becoming a conventional horror movie. It is a strange, mad, sometimes incomprehensible and others disturbing, but ultimately a rewarding movie experience.

• Apr 17, 2020

He fucks a talking typewriter in the mouth by typing about how wonderful it is to pretend to be a homosexual and talks to giant mutant bugs. Yeah. It's that kind of movie.

• Jan 24, 2020

Yes, it is disgusting. Yes, it is nonsensical, but if you think that this is the combination of David Cronenberg and William S. Burroughs, we really got off easy! I did not read the book but I also think make a film about it was a crazy idea from the start. Anyway, interesting work but not particularly unforgettable.

• Oct 29, 2019

A surreal horror-comedy like only Cronenberg could direct! David Cronenberg's surreal indie drama Naked Lunch (1991) is an absurdist comedy that takes itself serious with a grain of bug powder. Cronenberg's writing adapts an already surreal novel into a profoundly strange and altogether fascinating rumination on life stylized like a neo-noir mystery. Cronenberg writes about bug extermination, drug addiction, unhappy marriages, repressed homosexuality, personal agency, and writing literature. Naked Lunch is like Cronenberg's Inherent Vice but even stranger and more poetic. Cronenberg's writing is intriguing and delightful with clever lines in every scene. I enjoyed Naked Lunch's good humor and Cronenberg's direction that looks like an odd neo-noir. Naked Lunch is unlike any other film I have ever seen. Did I mention the talking bugs? Yes, Naked Lunch features talking bugs, injecting bug powder, bug typewriters, and crushing centipedes. Anyone afraid of bugs will be horrified by the insect extermination and communicating bugs. To those with a sense of humor, Naked Lunch is simply a hilarious comedy making subversive fun of life's oddities. The practical effects are astounding and realistic despite appearing as a surreal fantasy. The bugs look great! Howard Shore's score ranges from avant-garde jazz to moving suspenseful classical compositions. It keeps you feeling off kilter during the jazz passages and uneasy during the classical portions. I hope the free jazz arrangements either rivet you or drive you mad. Peter Weller is captivating as the lead Bill Lee. He's a drug addicted bug exterminator with dreams of being a writer. He's funny with a dry sarcastic humor and blunt delivery. I found his purposefully flat and serious tone particularly entertaining for the comedic moments and engrossing for the dramatic parts of Naked Lunch. Naked Lunch contains Peter Weller's best acting by far and is far more impressive than Robocop, honestly. He's gripping as a troubled writer, unhappy husband, content bug exterminator, and helpless drug addict. Likewise, Judy Davis is thoroughly mesmerizing as a drug addicted wife and orgy mad wife to a different man. Ian Holm gets a fascinating supporting role as a bisexual renaissance man with telepathy and paranoia. Roy Scheider has a phenomenal cameo as a doctor that prescribes crushed centipede powder as a medical way to wean Weller off of the bug powder drug. Robert A. Silverman gives the strangest performance as a bug drug salesman named Hans. Lastly, I like the kind and empathetic performance from Joseph Scoren as Yves. In short, Naked Lunch simply has it all and then some. Naked Lunch is thoughtful nonsense.

• Oct 01, 2019

As much as I love Cronenberg, this is one of the few works of his, that no matter how many times I give it a try, I just can't get into it. It's just soo boring and pretencious it loses me about halfway in. Still, it's an ambitious work, that tries it's best to distill the madness of Burroughs. It's a commendable effort. And there's a lot of striking, memorable imagery.

• Sep 16, 2019

Not for everyone, for sure. But one of Cronenberg's best. If you like "Videodrome" and "Dead Ringers", you will love this film.

• Jun 29, 2019

Weird nightmare anticipated and you got it loud and clear .

Weird nightmare anticipated and you got it loud and clear .

• Jan 28, 2019

A really sick and sad movie. It is even sadder that anyone would produce such pure garbage. No plot, just endless nonsensical dialogue, heavy drug use (LSD/Horse/etc...), and every type of imaginable perverse interpersonal and people/animal acts. Maybe if you are on acid or riding the horse you might make sense of this junk, maybe it might make a connection with you... Don't waste two hours of your life that you will not get back by watching this...

• Sep 09, 2018

I liked the the setting and the acting, the lights, but the movie is very boring, non suspense at all.