Neil Young Journeys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Neil Young Journeys Reviews

½ September 1, 2016
Eh. It was ok. SO disappointed he didn't play Old Man. Especially since this was in his home town AND THERE IS A BUILDING , I believe a school, NAMED AFTER HIS FATHER! If, in fact, "Old Man" was written regarding his father. I was excited it started out with the old classic tunes. Grrr.
½ April 30, 2014
good performance doc
February 2, 2014
It took a while to warm to the newer material, (much of it from the 2010 album Le Noise), but Neil has still got it... as a recording songwriter. Live, Shakey is getting shakier, and this splicing of a Massey Hall concert with footage from a rambling drive down Highway 11 didn't really do the show any favours. Neither did Demme's heavy-handed, cheap-looking graphic supers about the four students killed in the Kent State riot (sung about in "Ohio"). I'd have liked to have been at the show, and in the end I did like the newer songs - particularly the spruced up 70s rocker, "Hitchhiker" - but this is late Neil, and this DVD is primarily for the collectors.
½ October 8, 2013
A decent mix of old and new songs interspersed with snippets of Neil Young driving around his old haunts in Ontario and reminiscing. It's not essential viewing but fans of Neil will enjoy it.
½ September 1, 2013
Really only for Neil Young fans (like me), and even then it is so-so. The non-music part should feel nostalgic and emotional, as it covers Neil Young retracing his childhood in his hometown, but just seems dull. There is no profound moment, and it just seems like one big ramble.

The music is the highlight, of course, but even that could have been better. Way too many recent Young songs, not enough classics. And I'm not sure I prefer the one-band version of Neil Young to the hard-rocking Crazy Horse version...
½ August 4, 2013
The Les Miserables of concert films, Neil Young Journeys contains a great performance by Young, but Jonathon Demme makes an odd and unattractive choice of filming at super close-ups from the mic stand. The documentary also contains too much concert and too little getting-to-know Neil Young.
July 17, 2013
Excellent music of course, and a personal look at Young's background as he guides a tour of where he grew up.
½ April 9, 2013
Neil Young is classic!!!!
½ March 10, 2013
It's fun to see old Neil be Neil Young, this time solo but going between acoustic, electric and piano/harmonica for some greatest hits and new songs... but that one fish-eye/go-pro or whatever it is lens attached to the microphone that makes us look at his tonsils as he sings... no Demme, bad move, don't do that again.
½ February 2, 2013
Loved it. But then again, I am a die hard Neil fan. Oh, but he is great though.
January 19, 2013
Great music and some musings from one of the best songwriters there is.
½ January 19, 2013
Despite the interesting stories told offstage about Neil's life in Ontario, the filming, editing and length of certain songs on stage bored me to death.
December 30, 2012
If your a fan as i am ull love it
November 26, 2012
I'm more into Trunk Show. Still was an audio delight.
October 21, 2012
A great documentary/musical.The sound is incredible on blu ray.A must for any Neil Young fan.
½ October 3, 2012
Vintage Neil Young. I liked the early songs, 1970's more than the 2010 songs. I recommend that you see it. Young is a dynamic musician, among the best of Folk Rock.
½ September 25, 2012
I can't understand why so many good reviews. The film in my opinion has little to offer a Young fan unless you really like constant closeups of an unshaven, ugly old face. Demme's direction and camera work distracts from Young's incredible song writing skills and performances. A filmmaking disaster as I see it. The concert audio mix is as bad as it gets. Young's guitar excellence is drowned in sub woofer hell and overall poor post treatment. He's such a musical innovator and explorer: Here almost lost.

I loved the Crown Victoria.
½ September 23, 2012
The road trip is overdone and the footage from the 'mic' camera is positively weird, but his songs, his guitar playing and his performance are just stunning.
September 19, 2012
In the third concert film collaboration between rock icon Neil Young and director Jonathan Demme (who helmed Heart of Gold and Trunk Show), Young gets deeply personal. Demme follows the Canadian rock hero back to his hometown of Omemee, where Young travels through his old neighborhood whilst recalling tales of his youth. Then we see him at Toronto's Massey Hall, where he laces those stories with enduring songs of love, loss and memory fleeting. There's the classics ('Ohio', 'Hey Hey, My My') and the new tunes ('Leia') and all reveal stunning revelations of a truly wondrous life lived. Just like his other works with Young and his amazing concert film Stop Making Sense, Demme can make a concert feel very personal, and my advice is to sit back and absorb it. Shot in the final two nights of Young's 2011 tour, Journeys bristles with rock and roll essence. It's terrific viewing.