The Next Three Days - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Next Three Days Reviews

September 25, 2016
En que momento pasan las cosas? Una idea interesante pero se queda en el desarrollo.
½ August 27, 2016
Lot of non believable things, but lots of action to keep things interesting
½ July 22, 2016
This remake of Anything for Her is even if more implausible than that film, and Haggis includes details that don't work really well, but he also injects more tension and stretches some scenes to the point of nerve-wracking while Russell Crowe puts in a strong performance.
½ June 22, 2016
An engaging well paced thriller that is as entertaining as it is implausible.
May 29, 2016
I've seen this film again tonight ans still enjoined it. For me the plot makes sense although a tad far fetched. Overall, a good enjoyable thriller. Excellent performances fro the leading actors but Crowe stands out.
½ April 24, 2016
Mucho cliche al final...
March 26, 2016
There have been a few films like this and usually they are all pretty tame but thanks to Russel Crowe's brilliant performance he had me rooting for him, Ok the actual way the story was done wasn't amazingly done and the ending little twist I seen coming a mile away but we never really knew if they would escape or not or never knew if she did actually commit murder until the very end and I think maybe there could of been a few good shock twists that would of been brilliant, Still it's an edge of your seat crime/mystery and will be enjoyed by most.
½ March 8, 2016
Slow start but a well concluded film. If the build-up was just a little bit faster it would have been much better.
March 1, 2016
Like any ordinary suburban family, happily-married couple Lara (Elizabeth Banks), college academic John (Russell Crowe) and their three year old son Luke (Toby & Tyler Green) laugh, joke, take photos and enjoy a normal light hearted breakfast.

This morning however is different. The day after Lara has a very public argument with her boss, their usual quiet is disturbed as police burst through the door and arrest Lara under suspicion of murdering her boss.

With blood stains on her coat, her fingerprints on the murder weapon, an eye witness who saw her leaving the scene and a potential motive, the open and shut case condemns Lara to a 20 year sentence. Blindly believing in his wife's innocence, John exhausts all legal options fighting the injustice of her incarceration.

With no appeal options left, little savings and no time before her out-of-state transfer, John takes the only viable option. By creating his own moral code and living in a reality of his own choosing John decides to orchestrate his wife's daring escape.

Mapping out what he needs in order to put his plan in practise, John reaches out to the underworld. Starting with ex-crim and nine time successful prison escapee Damon Pennington (Liam Neeson), who gives him the most important thing to remember "Escaping is easy; staying free is the hard part."

Quickly finding himself out of his depth and entangled in the darker side of humanity, John's devotion for his estranged wife might not be enough to overcome the emotional, moral and physical hurdles in his way and power him through this race against time.

A faithful retelling of 2008 original French version 'Pour Elle' (Anything for her); except for the grim Pittsburgh location and obvious tilts towards Hollywood sensibilities, The Next Three Days is a tension filled drama turned action/thriller story about how actions often speak louder than words.

Driving around town in the family Prius, Russell Crowe keeps it simple and believable in this softer everyman style character. Youngsters Tyler and Toby Green deliver a grounded sensibility to the film as his emotionally scarred son. Elizabeth Banks however somewhat misses the mark as a blonde-desperate-housewife reject turned hardened criminal; her hair may change but after three years in jail her attitude is still too gentle.

Although identical in construction and execution to the original, like most remakes, this version fails to rise above the formula. Picking at the obvious holes, the notable lack of chemistry between Crowe and Banks dispels the intended illusion of an unconditional devotion.

Emphasizing the wrong tone; poor musical choices lessen the tension and the inclusion of some unnecessary scenes hinders pacing to the point where the film drags out to a painfully overlong 133 minutes.

The Verdict: Intriguing but still frustrating, you walk out of the theatre not dissatisfied as such but perhaps expecting more.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 11/02/2011
½ February 19, 2016
I've actually grown an appreciation for Rusty over recent years. I liked this well enough. Took me most of the movie to get behind the motivations of the central characters, but otherwise, it was ok.
½ January 13, 2016
When a writer wants to make a movie like this, it is rarely a good film because the plot is obviously unrealistic and is super unlikely to happen in real life. This movie, however, is one of the few exceptions. The details in the movie are so incredibly thought through that it makes you forget that the plot is unrealistic, because every minute of the film is well written and smart. Also, the acting was great! Usually crime movies have dramatic acting, but these characters were well developed and had great backgrounds and emotions. I was shocked with how much I enjoyed this movie, and this is coming from somebody who loves romances and musicals!
January 12, 2016
The performances are good, but The Next Three Days is a very slow movie. The entire first half of the movie is pretty boring, but when the movie comes to a close it is pretty satisfying.
½ January 3, 2016
Para verla en la tele cuando no tienes mucho más que hacer.
November 19, 2015
Russel Crowe saved a fairy story movie . Liam Neeson & Brian Dennehy had two/three lines , why they signed up for this is a mystery . If the plot line is to be believed , it shouldn't have any huge holes in it . Small holes are JUST passable but only just . Point in question : during the escape when Crowe & Co are on the train evading police capture ( Inspector Clouseau is chasing on foot along the tunnel ;-) ) they decide to pull the emergency chord and exit the train - then climb thru a high wire fence conveniently cut just where the train doors open and - here's the best bit - the third car they run past just happens to be a brand new white/silver SUV which has thankfully had it's doors left unlocked with the keys still in the ignition ..... in an area where you simply wouldn't leave a brand new SUV . That's the point I began an indepth conversation with my partners cat ...... is it me or are we seeing a few too many films these days with more than one piece of the jigsaw puzzle missing which we are supposed to simply accept without question .
November 17, 2015
I laughed because Crowe's character does all his research looking at Youtube video's. I do the same LOL, but not for trying to break someone out of prison. It was a good movie as it had me cringe a couple of times. I'm also sure one of Crowe's songs was in this film.
October 1, 2015
Although it is not the best thriller - psychological, crime, or any other kind. It was definetly worth a watch. You are not on the edge of your seat but I still wanted - eagerly - to know how it will end.

The writer/directer is a better writer than a director.

Russel Crow delivered his "strong silent type" performance that he does really well.

Nothing to say on elizbith Banks she is as mediocre as ever.
About Liam nesson I do not know why he was even casted in a role.
½ September 30, 2015
Has its fair share of problems (133 minutes...) but up to a certain point the plot is very well constructed without relying on contrivances that break one's suspension of disbelief. The escape works because of believably careful planning, not because the cops couldn't find their own assholes (in fact they're almost /too/ smart); as a result the whole escape sequence is unbearably tense, like holy shit Lennie James is right on Russell Crowe's ass, is he actually gonna catch him?! That's some good storytelling.
September 22, 2015
Awesome! Slow to start but then very suspenseful to the end!
½ August 30, 2015
Very average to below average. Rent it later if youre so curious. I wish Crowe would come back to acting
August 27, 2015
Thought this was fascinating.