Nice Girls Don't Explode - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nice Girls Don't Explode Reviews

½ October 9, 2014
Drastically underrated movie
July 16, 2014
So bad it's good! One of the better b grade films I've seen with a twist. I enjoyed it at least give it a chance then again every one has different taste. :-)
December 1, 2013
April (Michelle Meyrink) has a problem. Whenever she gets anything like passionate with a guy all sorts of things seem to spontaneously combust. The only men she meets more then once are firefighters. Actually, it's Mom's (Barbara Harris) way of trying to keep her little girl to herself, but new boyfriend Andy (William O'Leary) is having none of such nonsense. So the heat's on. Unfortunately it's Fluffy the cat who keeps getting caught in the middle.

also stars Wallace Shawn, James Nardini, Margot Gray, Jonas Baugham, William Kuhlke and Irwin Keyes.

directed by Chuck Martinez.
Cinema-Maniac
½ May 8, 2013
The title alone got my attention because of how odd it was. While I wasn't expecting anything good I was hoping for some goofy fun. Needless to say I didn't that with the title being the most amusing thing about the movie.

Nice Girls Don't Explode is about a woman who starts fires as she becomes aroused. That's a thin premise and even thinner in execution. It's reliance on a single joke wears out quickly and in a 80 minute movie it makes the whole ordeal feel longer than it actually is. It's a bizarre comedy that has no concept of comedy. A guy who gets his leg shaved in the Hospital is consider a joke. With jokes like that you'll remain silent. The worst offense is a twist on the story. Instead of being a story of woman causing fire when aroused it turns into a story about an overprotective mother. It's an odd direction to take the story in and becomes it biggest downfall. It's so excessive in the bad way. Its takes allot just to buy the premise alone and it expects you to be okay with the mother weak (and lack of) explanation for her actions. The characters are all annoying, the plot while goofy fails to a strike a balance with the more tender moments, and finally it is not funny.

It doesn't help matter when the acting is plain awful. It's a chore trying to see these clueless actors trying to bring comedy into a scene that doesn't need it. The actors try bad line delivery, cheesy to hamming acting, slapstick, emoting over the top reaction, but nothing works in the actor favors coming off as annoying. Nice Girls Don't Explode title is the only amusement you'll get. For a comedy it is unguided and unsure in everything it does without a single actor who can do comedy. You won't find a fun B-movie here let alone one that'll garner a single laugh.
May 5, 2012
Aaaaawesome cult guilty pleasure !
½ February 6, 2012
Awesome, is this really on DVD now? Last time I checked, it was only on LaserDisc.
November 20, 2011
reminded me so much of freaky friday etc kinda funny but seemed alot older than 87
½ April 6, 2011
A morality tale of...oh heck I don't know. It's just a goofy movie to spend an afternoon watching. Don't expect to much from it, just enjoy how silly it is.
January 23, 2010
what kind of crazy freak movie is this
½ April 16, 2009
iLeo
½ December 10, 2008
Crazy funny! Michelle Meyrink is certainly one-of-a-kind.
½ June 23, 2008
And inspired watch!
At the drafthouse a bit ago there was this concession short/ad with NICE GIRLS DONT EXPLODE posters all over it. It was quirky and fun. Zack said it was the same guy who did this movie and I knew then i was supposed to watch it.
Its campy and sexual, yet not slutty... very rare for a movie of this type.
April Flowers is convinced that she starts fires when she gets aroused.
It's her mom the whole time... trying to keep April to herself.
And who wouldn't, April is cute and awkward. She's so irresistible even a "hot" guy in flashy car want to take her dress off at Elk Lodge-esque dances.
The most endearing parts are when April's childhood crush returns home and is still deeply in love with April. He slowly catches on to her mom's ways... yet believing her too... And he's a way cute ping pong player
Super fun, and the cat Fluffy is great, and once again, Wallace Shawn wins as a pyro who just wants friends.
March 2, 2008
Funny! I have seen this movie heaps of times ~ its quirky and strange and typically 80's.
½ March 1, 2008
I loved how weird this move was. Too bad I haven't seen it on DVD yet.
February 11, 2008
Very obscure film featuring the mom from Freaky Friday and the hyper girl from Real Genius. Supposedly filmed in Lawrence, KS, but but I haven't seen it in so long I don't know just where they filmed. "Do you know what depilatory means?"