Nixon Reviews

• Oct 02, 2020

Good movie, not sure Hopkins was right for the role.

Good movie, not sure Hopkins was right for the role.

• Jul 08, 2020

I didn't buy Hopkins in the role and the script was unfocused.

I didn't buy Hopkins in the role and the script was unfocused.

• Feb 10, 2020

It's a LONG but masterful movie with a great performance from Anthony Hopkins and great direction from Oliver Stone.

• Jun 16, 2019

Hopkins was robbed. One of the best performances I have ever seen. Woods and Sorvino add a lot to the film. My second favorite Stone film after JFK,

• Jan 16, 2019

Let me put this out there right now. I'm big on American history and politics especially from 1900 - 1970. I have about 15 books on Nixon alone including his auto-biographies, Haldamen and Erlichmen bios and even Fred Dalton Thompson's Whitewater investigation book. It is important that the film represents history enough for me to be engaged and Oliver Stone delivered. Although it's debatable that Nixon burned evidence, knew about the JFK assassination or popped pills in the end of his tenure the rest of the film delivers right on target. Stone reaches just enough to connect Nixon to his JFK film and it is enough to make you contemplate the possibility and that challenge only makes the film more appealing to me because it is a different take on history that can be debated without easy contradictions. Anthony Hopkins, Joan Allen and James Woods all deserved Oscars for their portrayal of each of their respective characters. The film perfectly relays Nixon's duality not only with the media but those closest to him. It's almost eerie. The political weaving is also intriguing and engaging. Politics is portrayed as a beast that must be controlled and perhaps it was in the Nixon years the control was lost. Any blame for our current political state can be easily explained by looking at the American citizen and it's leaders in the past. Some might complain that this film is too long and drawn out, but it is a character study and if you are watching a movie about Nixon, don't you want to know about him correctly? You can't explore such a complicated individual in under 2 hours unless you look at a very small moment in his career like Frost vs. Nixon which I also recommend. Stone is trying to encompass an entire life and it deserves the run time it has. This is an engaging, powerful and disturbing portrait of not only a man but his country. The political system never recovered from this event. Citizens no longer trust America. It all started at Watergate and the onion that was pealed after. The onion is still not fully peeled but watching this movie is a good start that I highly recommend.

• Jan 14, 2019

Guilty Or Not Guilty. Nixon Stone's now-a-complete anthology on American politics from '60s to '70s, is a set that may dwell well in contrast to his rest of the installment, but as an individual, in its single entity, it is a "blah" forward pass. This meticulous venture of Stone was clearly not easy to bind it all in one act. Such political films that barely has any concrete material to follow, takes a lot of work to narrate it linearly with a definite structure. And covering all the controversies and debates, Stone has put up a behemoth stature for us to climb, it is a long way up but it is worth all the effort. Unlike, his other similar features, this one lacks enthralling encounters that leads on electrifying debates, in fact if anything, it is too diplomatic to lose its control and let things flow, Stone is too calculative to make it cinematic. And if there are these many restraints on script, the making of the film, is boost off supremely by its stunning cast. And the titled character is played by Hopkins whose research on Nixon is a testament to his sheer brilliant performance. His best bits are when he shares the screen by his supporting actress Allen, who is equally challenging to him on screen. The eerie editing and camera work does help Stone to make his point clear, but Hopkins's act has a rhythm of its own, the first time he convinces Allen to not leave him is the apt example for it. These are also tiny packets of firecrackers that we get in this overstretched version of Stone's dive on shady political drama, since the rest of the part is too mellow to demand our attention. Nixon managed to lose even in comparison to Stone's JFK, it is a biography that no one asked for.

• Nov 19, 2018

Hopkins puts in one of the finest cinematic performances inhabiting the body and soul of Nixon. He electrifies the screen throughout the engrossing drama.

• Apr 15, 2018

Riveting and captivating.

Riveting and captivating.

• Dec 25, 2017

A very long film but for me the apex of Oliver Stone's storytelling and film making. A true classic that is always relevant. Directors Cut even better than the original with restored scenes which help tell the story even more effectively.

• Nov 04, 2017

Very Good! It's long at almost 3.5 hours. Anthony Hopkins shines as Nixon and Joan Allen is excellent as Pat. it is very relevant today and almost mirrors what might be going on in the White House Today.