No. 2 (Naming Number Two) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No. 2 (Naming Number Two) Reviews

½ August 15, 2012
A sweet and lovely film about Fijians and other islanders in Aotearoa.
February 8, 2011
Some awkward scenes don't work, and the Christian message is a bit odious, but I really quite enjoyed myself otherwise. The women are marvellous, especially Blake and Novotny, and the final shot is extraordinary.
January 22, 2011
Not as powerful as some other NZ connected movies but a nice gang hanging around...
½ May 27, 2010
This was a first for me. I'm not used to this type of cultural films. This posed a very authentic family with very real characters that people can see today and relate to. I'd say this is a good movie with good intentions. Just that being a first for me, it was like I got hit by a bus. I had to get used to it. The start might hit you hard but the end would leave you satisfied.

½ July 10, 2009
A life in the day of a family. And indeed a quite chaotic one - the life as well as the day as well as the family. Nothing really spectacular is happening; however, Toa Fraser and the actors of this movie draw you inside and in the end you feel like you have known all those different and often difficult characters for quite a while.
½ May 24, 2009
A sweet and lovely film about Fijians and other islanders in Aotearoa.
April 22, 2009
loved it coz it has fijian cultures in it
½ February 25, 2009
Movies based on plays which do not expand beyond the space-confined, actor-centric, spontenaity-fuelled canvas of the original work are a dangerous breed and none, more-so, than this film. This film suffers horribly from transitioning to the big screen where so much of the plot's dynamics that effect magic on a stage become humdrum, cliche, indie-film-fodder with no drive, no ambition, no magic and - often - no real direction or sense. Taungaroa Emile is the real star of the film while everyone, including top-billing star Ruby Dee, present the most unrealistic and inaccurate portrayals of Fijians I've ever seen (though Tanea Heke is a fantastic exception). Pained, tiresome, lumbering snooze-fest that no amount of charm (or its acceptable third act) can save and highly suspect cultural research to boot. No thanks, this is just more forgettable New Zealand art fluff with no market and no hope.
February 8, 2009
An very warm and pleasant film to watch. Great cast. Ruby Dee makes a great matriarch.
September 10, 2008
I'm really fond of this one. 'Kill me a pig', indeed! A great ensemble cast, and beautiful direction from Toa Fraser make this a joy to watch.
August 25, 2008
OK movie, captures all the parts of the family life.
August 19, 2008
The plot is not particularly outstanding, but the way it is filmed and the rhythm it carries make the film heartening.
August 14, 2008
Świetny scenariusz. Aktorstwo takie sobie.
½ August 13, 2008
Nice to see a NZ film going back to basics: a family story with drama, humour and decent actors combine with a strong soundtrack to produce a movie experience that did well at Sundance and could be enjoyed anywhere, and not just by those familiar with Auckland. American actress Ruby Dee's NZ/Fijian accent works well too.
June 23, 2008
mean maori mean, the honey male actors n the mana wahine actresses n the awesome storyline.
June 22, 2008
Nice story, but some plot is too annoying
½ March 20, 2008
Life in south Auckland has plenty of stories like this I'm certain.
A touching story on the whole but a few chapters of behaviour I can't stand. I guess kids will be kids.
½ February 28, 2008
Took a while to get into it really, but its for some reason hard to stop watching. Its really touching when you get into it and the acting is really good. And of course its always nice to see our sweet Tuva ;)
February 25, 2008
This movie so reminds me of home and what its like to grow up in a close knit maori/poly community, the feasts for our elders and daily visitations to the family lol, this film was definitely a reminder of that. Ruby Dee portays her character so well as she does in all films, Xavier Horan and Mia Blake are continue to up their game in the acting world, Tumeke!
February 23, 2008
A unique and heartfelt drama with some great pieces of acting and a fantastic fight scene to the song "Bathe in the River". Ruby Dee performs amazingly as the matriarch of the family.