No Reservations - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Reservations Reviews

June 7, 2017
This movie serves comfort food realness. It's charming, well-acted, and features good motifs of chef's whites, charming New York City neighborhoods, and European apartment decor. French cuisine meets Italian creating an enjoyable recipe one will repeat for years to come.
February 27, 2017
The movie poster suggested "No Reservations" would be a rom-com -- but there was no discernible "com" actually in it. While there certainly was a modicum of romance, the story is much better characterized as a drama focused on a career-minded woman taking on the responsibility of raising her traumatized niece after a terrible tragedy, and who grudgingly allows a cute but insipid male sidekick into the house as a hanger-on. It was entertaining from the professional kitchen angle, but there did not seem to be much leavening in the bread.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 30, 2017
Entertaining, a bit predictable as any romanticcomedy would be, but it is nice to watch, likable characters, funny scenes. Also Abigail Breslin is so little!
January 16, 2017
THE GIST
Charming little romantic dramedy breaks no new ground, but wins major points for not pandering to melodrama, but instead giving its audience an honest, touching, and uplifting little story. Remake of the Italian film Mostly Martha. ***1/2 (out of five) Rated PG (mild language and innuendo).

THE FULL SCOOP

I am convinced that professional movie critics often will not like something if it is simple, straightforward, and has an uplifting message. Many appear to only like something "edgy," "new," or envelope-pushing. How else can one explain the lukewarm critical reception for the charming little film No Reservations, a romantic dramedy starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eackhart, and Signs wunderkid Abigail Breslin?

This is a good "cuddle on the couch" movie. I will stay away from spoilers, but suffice to say that I very much enjoyed this movie for its realistic and thorough approach to grieving, family, healing, and falling in love. On paper, the plot seems formulaic but it works because the three main characters (who admittedly seem like one-dimensional caricatures initially) are all fleshed out subtly and believably as the film goes on.

Zeta-Jones is often far too glamorous for me to see her as anything but a sex symbol, but here she gives a solid, very grounded performance. She's both selfish and selfless, confident yet vulnerable, bright but can be ditzy...in short, she's human. Abigail Breslin continues to be the best child actor working today with a performance that is heartwarming, heartbreaking, and very real.

Aaron Eckhart (to be seen in The Dark Knight this summer), is extremely likable and charming. His romance with Zeta-Jones plays out without a lot of fanfare, which is why I liked it. It feels like the type of unforced process that happens in the real world. Of course it starts with the standard "love-hate" scenario and near the end there's a crisis that threatens to drive them apart, but to the film's credit, neither cliched plot device occupies a lot of screen time. Instead, the bulk of the drama comes from the more realistic tragedy that brings these three people together. The comedy, as well, plays out more like the comedy that occurs in real life. This is not a knee-slapping, hilarious romantic comedy a la While You Were Sleeping, but it's not meant to be.

No Reservations doesn't break any new ground, but it does display the beautiful aspects of our humanity without forcing it. Most romantic comedies are fairly predictable; you know exactly what you're going to get, and if you like the genre (and I do), you are rarely disappointed. No Reservations, however, has the distinction of being a bit more subtle, more straightforward, more real, and carries a bit more depth than most. Like the food the characters prepare, it's very much the same as similar dishes you've enjoyed, only better.
½ November 19, 2016
This is a glorified Hallmark movie, featuring lines like "I wish there was a cookbook for life!" Opposites attract. Orphans change people.

Seeing a cute young Abigail Breslin reminded me how nice Definitely, Maybe is. You should watch that instead.
October 8, 2016
Catherine Zeta-Jones is a pleasure to watch in this movie. Much of the movie she struggles through life's challenges. Interesting spins at the end.
½ August 21, 2016
I couldn't remember if I had rated this movie and I wastes my time again on this flick. Very disappointed with great actors in this movie. The script was horrible, there was no on screen chemistry. I just felt very uncomfortable watching the actors. The storyline was predictable. I couldn't wait for this movie to end.
August 20, 2016
It was pretty sad and sort of all over the place. There were a lot of subjects in the movie that the directer wanted to have but were stretched too thin to make a positive impact.
½ August 12, 2016
Though super predictable, it is nontheless enjoyable and lighthearted
May 22, 2016
Normal and pretty cliche but it was a fun watch nonetheless.
May 6, 2016
At last a romantic comedy that you will actually laugh with. A rare combination of comedy depth and wisdom. More like this please.
½ April 30, 2016
Taineia apo to 2007... Xalari kai apla gia na perasi arketa xalara i ora..
Tipote idiaitero alla katholou asximi taineia.
½ April 9, 2016
truffle aioli, pink central quail. foie grais, brioche,

A chef's integrity must be at parties or even better then the store's integrity in producing the best quality of food for its customers. An unbreakable relationship that goes hand in hand with the manager's expectations. When everything must be prrfect, when everything comes fresh and is coming straight from where it came from to your plate. When it's not a matter about other people's tastes but our own. We hold everything up to our expectations, and structure with obedience and rules that makes everything perfect to prepare. When other times we care, what others think when it keeps us in check and our mind at ease. When we have great help that assist us and are required to work at a level of quality that is as much in demand as the food.
When we don't know what to expect when we enter the kitchen and out, but we have to prepare. When not all things we are prepared for, but we have to face regardless. When we are shut off from the world when we are in the zone in the kitchen, until it hits us and brings us back into reality. When we are alone in the zone, and not alone when we have those people who fill our reality. Which one we prefer or require the right balance to maintain,we need to make necessary adjustments.
When we have less of a stomach when we have to Bon AppĂ (C)tite. When food is meant to be enjoyed and have an appetite for when we are happy.

When the quality of food is based on our style and technique to which we do it. A level of positivity, love and insight in cooking that makes us great in preparing. When we are used to working in a fast paced joint, to serving for one. When we try our hardest for those that make us who we are, to even when in home to those whom matter because we love them. When there is no 1 great taste, and the palette has plenty of great tastes to choose from.
When we needed a different perspective, eye and stomach to see what we have been missing. When food is not only in the stomach but in the heart and mind that makes it taste extra good. When food, our hearts, mind, soul, and stomach needs to be treated with extra delicacy and extra tender care that is extra satisfying.
When there is always room for enjoyment when food is considered, when fun makes food even better tasting.
When we must search for the best products to the best products making their way to us. The best deserves the best for the best to taste. When being a great chef is similar in being a composer or artist.
When our passions has room for cooking food, family and love life. When our passions are restricted with too much expectations from management and customers that it's better to part ways and start on your own.
A cookbook for life and recipes. When all that is missing in Bon AppĂ (C)tite is the feeling to enjoy what we do.
March 21, 2016
Not a comedy .. an occasionally light moment drama.. Drags massively in the middle and suffers under the wait of total inevitability of the end.

Better than it might have been as a crap popcorn offering
½ March 6, 2016
Tipica comedia romantica con cierto encanto, no mucho mas/
January 13, 2016
"In life, like in cooking, the best recipes are the ones you make up."
½ December 31, 2015
A cute flic... I actually enjoyed it...
September 22, 2015
This was a nice movie to watch, with a sweet story, but it felt like the plot was empty and there could have been more to it.
September 9, 2015
I just saw the better, original German version Bella Martha/Mostly Martha on Netflix. They took out some of the complicating tension in the English version, making it a pretty flat romantic comedy by comparison.