Of Fathers and Sons Reviews

• Apr 20, 2019

Nominated for best documentary it is very difficult to watch. This docu concerns fathers indoctrinating sons in the radical Islamic beliefs readying them for the Caliphate..

• Apr 11, 2019

In general I haven't been very impressed by Syrian documentaries. This of course was no different, I went into it blind but it left me feeling like it could've been so much more. The biggest "positive" is the perspective this was told from. It's not often that you get to see this side of things. So I will definitely give it credit for that. My biggest issue is the execution of the documentary overall. It jumped all over and felt messy. Basically it felt like a propaganda film at times, then jumped to something you could actually relate to. You could even almost feel the humanity of it all. The most important part is that another one bites the dust and it takes me down to only 8 films left to see before the Oscars! (I'm seeing the shorts next weekend!) Unfortunately Border seems like it'll be my white Buffalo this year. With Capernaum and Never Look Away possibly needing to be 6 hour road trips...

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Mar 01, 2019

Derki makes such an effort to be a fly on the wall that it becomes obvious how overly labored and edited together the result is (just pay attention to where the camera is), but at least he captures a disturbing reality in which childhood innocence dies with fanaticism and hatred.

• Feb 22, 2019

Interesting description, but I had a herculean effort to go through it. Pace issues. I suspect conventional taste like mine will have a tough time enjoying the many qualities that generated critic consensus.

• Feb 20, 2019

This film does a good job of humanizing the jihadists.. but i'm not sure that the film itself is interesting or compelling enough on it's own.

• Jan 31, 2019

Amazing documentary on the war in Syria and mentality/mindset of future generations

• Jan 31, 2019

‪Of Fathers And Sons is a disturbing insider view of a radical Islamist family. The access to this family is unbelievable. Watching a father fills his sons with such hatred is horrifying. It’s a gut wrenching perspective that makes for a stunning, truly effective documentary.‬