An Officer and a Gentleman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Officer and a Gentleman Reviews

May 27, 2016
"This is all I've got, sob."
March 28, 2016
Too much like a bad soap-opera than an actual engaging movie. Still, the entertaining (though cliqued) drill sergeant character saves the movie from being a complete bust.
March 5, 2016
It ranks itself next to those with similar setting and characterization, but the developments and performances, especially of Gere's and Gossett, Jr.'s, brings in strength to state its own standing. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ January 6, 2016
A wonderful, honest film that grows so much on us along two hours that we end up embracing its clichés without the slightest reservation, and it has splendid performances from the entire cast, especially Louis Gossett Jr., who is fantastic and deserved the Oscar he won.
½ January 1, 2016
Nobody DORs after 11 weeks...

Sid Worley and Zack Mayo have become best friends in officer school in the Navy. They have a balls to the walls drill sergeant that whips them into shape. Mayo wears down first, but both men find girls and start serious relationship. As the officers mentally wear down, they build life changing bonds.

"You walk that wall!"

Taylor Hackford, director of Dolores Claiborne, Ray, The Devil's Advocate, Proof of Life, Against All Odds, and White Nights, delivers An Officer and a Gentlemen. The storyline for this movie is just average at first but comes together very well and ends epically. The cast delivers wonderfully written performances. The cast includes Richard Gere, Debra Winger, David Keith, Robert Loggia, David Caruso, Lisa Ailbacher, and Louis Gossett Jr.

"What happened to your mother had nothing to do with me."

I came across this on HBOGO and decided to add it to the wish list. This was better than I anticipated. I loved how it all came together and the ultimate conclusion was gripping and well done. I enjoyed the characters more than I expected. I recommend seeing this once.

"Walk around sugar britches."

Grade: A-
½ December 28, 2015
Classic 80's move that holds up pretty well. Wasn't an all-time favorite. Gere was great.
½ November 30, 2015
A classic movie, that maybe didn't age very well, also because after few years Full Metal Jacket portrayed the same topic at the best maximum level possible. Still, remains a convincing and enjoyable movie.
½ November 14, 2015
An exhilarating movie about personal dream. The sergeant is brilliant and I just can't love the theme song more.
½ September 15, 2015
A lovely movie with a really strong performance from Richard Gere who ironically was the only person from the leading cast not nominated for an Oscar which is a shame because this was one of his best performances. Debra Winger and Louis Gossett Jr. do a good job and the screenplay is really great
September 13, 2015
My first time watching this 80's classic. Not really my kind of movie but I enjoyed Lou Gosset Jr. and can see why he got the Oscar. It was also dun seeing a young and unknown David Caruso. Worth a watch of you're into romantic films.
½ August 3, 2015
A movie worth watching for Louis Gossett Jr.'s performance alone. But the entire cast is first-rate ... Gere and Winger have terrific chemistry. If you're in military love stories, this is one of the best. The scene where Foley tries to break Mayo is movie legend material as far as I'm concerned.
July 19, 2015
This movie lacks the subtley of more classic Hollywood romances, though it still has some very memorable scenes and dialogue. I've never been much of a fan of Richard Gere's acting (prefer his other aritistic interests actually), but he did draw a tear to my eye in one particularly heartwrenching scene. It's a bit heavy handed by way of construction and themes, but I do think it had nice character development and I loved Gossett's performance as the no-nonsense drill sargeant. You'd think I'd have a soft spot for the film too since it does start off in the Philippines...
½ July 5, 2015
My favorite Richard Gere and Louis Gossett Jr movie rolled into one. This is a very offbeat love story with some very dark undertones. Gere perfectly straddles the line between violent sociopath and ignorant romantic. He meets his match with the overbearing drill sergeant in Gossett Jr who pushes Gere's character (both good and bad) to shape him into the person that seemed impossible at the start. The arc in Gere's character is pretty huge considering some of the horrible things he experienced as a child (shown through flashbacks).

Debra Winger does an excellent job portraying the hardened love interest who is constantly battling her deep seeded "good nature" vs her desire to better herself and her situation. She is a very complex character who desperately wants to be loved, and even more desperately wants start a new life. The mix of her character with Gere's character is both volatile and magnetic.

Sid Worley plays the innocent hick love-struck puppy who falls for the more sinister, conniving friend of Winger's character who doesn't have the good soul that Winger does, and their relationship brings much pain and sadness to the film.

This is a film that I first saw as a teenager, and have seen multiple times throughout my life - and it has always held its lofty status in my eyes with each viewing. The dialogue is sharp, realistic, and downright nasty at times. There is a ton of intensity from scene to scene. And, while there are many sad, unnerving, and depressing moments in the film, there are also a lot of inspiring moments as the characters grow to the films ultimate infamous crescendo which has been parodied many, many times in the years since. I highly recommend this film if you have never seen it.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ June 17, 2015
Really only watched this for the Joe Cocker song, seeing Richard Gere so young surprised me. However young Gere doesn't hold as much gravitas as older Gere. Still an alright movie.
May 29, 2015
The realization might not be that outstanding but the story and the screenplay make the movie very touching and very pleasant . It is far better than the basic chick flick we mostly have and for once without losing his romantic sight the movie has some depth.A very good movie indeed.And actually one of the only redeemable movies of the 80's.

PS :some scenes could have been avoid and the soundtrack is good.
May 22, 2015
Sure, I knew I was in for bad 80's cheese Top Gun like schmaltz going into this. But it's in my book of must see movies that I'm trying to watch all of, and this is one of the last one hundred that I've been avoiding for a while. So it had to be done. Bleh.
May 17, 2015
Just a flatout annoying romance film.
December 29, 2014
Fabulous acting and characters that we invest in emotionally make "An Officer and a Gentleman" one of the most satisfying viewing experiences you will ever have.
½ December 25, 2014
This film explores sex, relationships, and ambition through some memorable characters. The journey is not always pleasant, though the ending is happy at least.