An Officer and a Gentleman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Officer and a Gentleman Reviews

April 15, 2017
Really good movie other than Lynette getting off so easy. Bitch should have been hit by a bus.
½ April 9, 2017
Bridget had never seen this so I watched it again with her. Still love this movie after all these years.
March 23, 2017
Saw this movie when it first came out in the 80's, still a great movie!
January 25, 2017
This was a very good movie. It was great to see Richard Gere so young and just as talented. This has become a classic romance movie, with a tortured hero who learns about discipline, friendship, character and most of all love. Well worth watching.
½ December 20, 2016
A wonderfully honest film that grows so much on us for two hours that we end up embracing its clichés without the slightest reservation, and it has splendid performances from the entire cast, especially Louis Gossett Jr., who is fantastic and deserved the Oscar he won.
November 7, 2016
It manages to not be completely overridden by cliche.
½ October 31, 2016
Teeters between sincerity and melodrama a bit too much. Needs a drill sergeant to whip its militant cliches into shape.
October 16, 2016
Awesome movie. They don't make them like they used to!
May 27, 2016
"This is all I've got, sob."
March 28, 2016
Too much like a bad soap-opera than an actual engaging movie. Still, the entertaining (though cliqued) drill sergeant character saves the movie from being a complete bust.
March 5, 2016
It ranks itself next to those with similar setting and characterization, but the developments and performances, especially of Gere's and Gossett, Jr.'s, brings in strength to state its own standing. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
½ January 1, 2016
Nobody DORs after 11 weeks...

Sid Worley and Zack Mayo have become best friends in officer school in the Navy. They have a balls to the walls drill sergeant that whips them into shape. Mayo wears down first, but both men find girls and start serious relationship. As the officers mentally wear down, they build life changing bonds.

"You walk that wall!"

Taylor Hackford, director of Dolores Claiborne, Ray, The Devil's Advocate, Proof of Life, Against All Odds, and White Nights, delivers An Officer and a Gentlemen. The storyline for this movie is just average at first but comes together very well and ends epically. The cast delivers wonderfully written performances. The cast includes Richard Gere, Debra Winger, David Keith, Robert Loggia, David Caruso, Lisa Ailbacher, and Louis Gossett Jr.

"What happened to your mother had nothing to do with me."

I came across this on HBOGO and decided to add it to the wish list. This was better than I anticipated. I loved how it all came together and the ultimate conclusion was gripping and well done. I enjoyed the characters more than I expected. I recommend seeing this once.

"Walk around sugar britches."

Grade: A-
½ December 28, 2015
Classic 80's move that holds up pretty well. Wasn't an all-time favorite. Gere was great.
½ November 30, 2015
A classic movie, that maybe didn't age very well, also because after few years Full Metal Jacket portrayed the same topic at the best maximum level possible. Still, remains a convincing and enjoyable movie.
½ November 14, 2015
An exhilarating movie about personal dream. The sergeant is brilliant and I just can't love the theme song more.
½ September 15, 2015
A lovely movie with a really strong performance from Richard Gere who ironically was the only person from the leading cast not nominated for an Oscar which is a shame because this was one of his best performances. Debra Winger and Louis Gossett Jr. do a good job and the screenplay is really great
September 13, 2015
My first time watching this 80's classic. Not really my kind of movie but I enjoyed Lou Gosset Jr. and can see why he got the Oscar. It was also dun seeing a young and unknown David Caruso. Worth a watch of you're into romantic films.
½ August 3, 2015
A movie worth watching for Louis Gossett Jr.'s performance alone. But the entire cast is first-rate ... Gere and Winger have terrific chemistry. If you're in military love stories, this is one of the best. The scene where Foley tries to break Mayo is movie legend material as far as I'm concerned.
July 19, 2015
This movie lacks the subtley of more classic Hollywood romances, though it still has some very memorable scenes and dialogue. I've never been much of a fan of Richard Gere's acting (prefer his other aritistic interests actually), but he did draw a tear to my eye in one particularly heartwrenching scene. It's a bit heavy handed by way of construction and themes, but I do think it had nice character development and I loved Gossett's performance as the no-nonsense drill sargeant. You'd think I'd have a soft spot for the film too since it does start off in the Philippines...