Old Yeller - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Old Yeller Reviews

June 27, 2016
160627: Wonderful tragedy that scared the snot out of me when I was young. Between the rabies and the tears, I've never forgotten this film. More enjoyable now then it ever has been. A classic.
June 13, 2016
And entertaining movie was good and good music my favorite song was old yeller that was a good song. It's a family movie to enjoy but there is drama in this movie. But I do like this movie
½ April 30, 2016
A charming family film about a farming family who lives are changed by a lovable Labrador that connects more so with the eldest son

The dog clearly changes the dynamic of the family & becomes a major help on the farm against the animals that where destroying the crops.

However the film takes a turn when poor Old Yeller gets bitten by a wild wolf. It's an endearing film that's full of heart.
April 9, 2016
Beautifully filmed. Watching it makes me feel like I'm in Frontierland. Tommy Kirk gives a powerful performance that you will never forget. Old Yeller is an emotional coming-of-age classic that everybody should see. (First full viewing - 8/9/2008)
March 14, 2016
Loves it
loves it
loves it
February 29, 2016
Old Yeller is a story about a family in the 1800s whose father leaves to go on a cattle drive. The oldest boy Travis is left to take care of his mother and younger brother. They find a dog and decide to keep him to help with things around the house and farm. While there's an outbreak of rabies in the area Old Yeller protects the family from a rabid wolf and contracts rabies and needs to be put down.
The plot of the book and movie were set in the 1800s after the civil war. The movie had to get everything correct from that time period, the way people talked and were treated which wasn't an easy take since the movie was released in 1957. Which wasn't a problem with turning the book into a film while just looking a bit more modern than if it were 1957.
A noticeable difference i noticed was Old Yeller was different from what they described in the book. It's not a noticeable unless you read the book and remember the description of Old Yeller that was given. He was a big dog with slick hair, a snub tail or short tail, and a chewed ear. While in the movie Old yeller has a long tail and his ear doesn't look chewed. Old Yeller also looks clean for being a dog that just wanders around killing all kinds of animals in the wilderness.
A scene that was left out of the movie was a bull fight that happened outside of the house. The fight was focused on for a chapter in the book and i believe it should had been added in the movie. The family hears the bulls in the distance making noises while Travis says what he thinks they could be saying to each other. As bulls make their way to each other the family finds a place outside of the house to sit and relax while watching the bulls fight it out. Things go wrong as the bulls head towards the house and the family creating a very dramatic feeling of what's going to happen. Also bringing in comedy at the end of the pull fight with one of the bulls falling into a cart and rolling down the hill, having no idea what is going on. It would had been a good addition to the movie, making people who haven't read the book on the edge of their seats to see what the result is while also getting a good laugh at the bull.
The movie and book come to a similar ending, with a noticeable difference Old Yeller is put down immediately after the fight with the wolf contracting rabies. The family knew he would have rabies and decided to not wait and risk him hurting anyone. While in the movie they waited until he showed effects of rabies then put him down. The ending is the most talked about part of the book and movie. It's talked about so much because no one wanted Old Yeller to die, while being hinted at in the beginning of the book with the setup of having to shoot him. Along with not wanting or even expecting to see such an important character in the book/movie die. Since many of the main characters seem to survive anything they face.
Old Yeller makes have to think about life and how it can end at any point, so you should enjoy it every day that you can. Don't take things for granted no matter how small they are. You'll miss whatever that thing is when it is no longer with you even if you didn't like it so much in the beginning.
I believe that the film was a very similar to the book, only missing a few details here and there. If you watch the movie with children who don't know about death then you'll should have that conversation or not watch the movie with them. Other than the death of Old Yeller the movie is an enjoyable experience just like reading the book even though a few things are missing. The ending of the book and movie are both tear jerking events, the movie more than the book because you are able to see the emotion in the family instead of just reading and imagining how everyone is feeling. They did a great job turning Old Yeller into a film and getting good actors to play the parts.
½ February 16, 2016
an outstanding classic by Disney
a simple slice of life of a boy and his dog with the rest of his family, too
Yeller steals the movie in every scene
even if you know the ending the majority of the film is done exceedingly-well with all the backgrounds, the feel-good family vibe, and the change from despising a stranger to loving one
there's both very happy and very, very sad moments but they mesh together just fine without feeling lopsided
the older brother learns to become a man on his own watching his younger brother, his mother as well as the dog guiding him to make the most unbearable of decisions in life
it's timeless indeed, just be sure to have a tissue or sleeve to wipe your eyes with after each viewing
½ February 15, 2016
Finally got around to watching this Disney classic movie, the standard by which all other "dog movies" are compared. It is pretty decent, but I wasn't blown away. The direction and acting aren't that strong and it took some of the power of the story away from me. Now, had I seen it as a kid first, I would likely feel differently, more nostalgic. In any case, it's certainly worth a watch.
½ February 13, 2016
Some of the scenes make me uncomfortable since it doesn't look like many of the scenes involving the animals were safe for the animals involved. Otherwise though this is an absolutely fantastic classic movie. It is simply a boy and his dog and doesn't feel the need to add pointless villains or subplots. The Western setting is amazingly shot and the performances are generally good. It is an emotionally powerful movie that holds up fantastically today
February 3, 2016
Excellent! A true classic perfect for the whole family!
July 20, 2015
A great insight into life in the 1800s. I knew exactly what was going to happen from pop culture references, but that didn't stop the tears...
½ July 9, 2015
FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS! - host of "Treasure Hunt (1981 game show)"

Now, "Rose (cow)". You take it easy! I know what ol' Yeller can get here. I KNOW WHAT?!?

"Welcome to DISNEY'S WONDERFUL WORLD!!!!!", or, "Skinnamarinky-dinky-dink, skinnamarinky doo! I LOVE YOU! I love your singin'! I LOVE YOU! Thanks for watching! I LOVE YOU! See y'all next time! I LOVE YOU, TOO! Boop-boop-be-doo! MUAH!", or, "It's not if you win or lose! It's all how you play the game! Always be a good sport 'cause everybody's tryin' the same!" - "The Absent-Minded Professor" & "Son of Flubber"
April 26, 2015
Brilliant movie, the acting was fantastic, and the storyline was very good as well. Great classic family movie.
April 18, 2015
The only good thing about this movie is that a kid shoots his own dog.
½ March 1, 2015
Old Yeller is a really great movie that is memorable for a reason. The kid actors are great, and the little kid is really good at acting like a brat. What got me so invested and surprised, are the animal actors. I don't know how they do it so well, especially Old Yeller. The theme song is catchy, and the story is not bad. The characters are decent, and there's some cute moments that'll make the kids happy. When it does get to the ending, I think little kids would be scared, and start crying after getting sad. For me however, I didn't cried at all but was just a bit sad done for what they did, but it doesn't last that long which I was fine with. It has its charms, and it's the ultimate story of a dog that meets a boy.
½ February 19, 2015
One might observe this movie with stale acting, stock dialogue, stock music, a plot with a lack of ark that is mostly made of individual situations, and visuals that could've been attained in the late 1920s, and think this would be ultimately a movie quickly forgotten. Yet instead of providing a boring, dry, unoriginal experience, this formula takes us back to a simpler time and a simpler place. Adorable and absolutely charming, Old Yeller has gone on to inspire countless children's movies and books throughout the years and is remembered by so many. Just uuugh...be prepared for a lack of political correctness when you watch this one. Like other movies supervised by Walt Disney, it gets really hard to stomach.
January 14, 2015
The entire time I was watching this Disney classic, I was thinking that it could never be remade for a modern audience without PETA taking serious issue. Throughout this film a yellow dog named Old Yeller hangs around with a post-Civil War frontier family. A mother (who seems to have no control over her children), and two young boys battle wildlife constantly. By battling, I of course mean that the children often claim baby animals as their own and are surprised when their full-grown mothers chase after them. The film doesn't teach children to treat animals well. The children in this movie ride the dog, make it herd wild hogs, and let it fight way bigger animals alone. Seriously, there is no way to remake this film unless the entire story is changed. The ending has been made infamous, as it's a heartbreaker for young children. It's not as bad as it could have been, since the next scene has the father telling his son to move on. If you're looking for a good family film, watch almost any other Disney film for best results.
January 8, 2015
Saw this very effective but awful movie at age 7. I grieved for that dog for years afterwards. It is it, or was it, with Disney making movies for kids that show loved ones dying ...Bambi come to mind. Too, too sad for little kids.
½ December 30, 2014
Well played, Third Act. You saved the movie.
½ December 5, 2014
With hartfelt ending, amazing imagery, solid acting, remarkable details and approach that is both informative and moving, Old Yeller may have some narrative problems and it is sometimes uneven, but it is a Disney production that is heightened to great heights thanks to beautiful Technicolor and art direction as well as ending that goes from heartbreaking to uplifting territory swiftly and deftly. This is a classic for a reason and it is quite possibly the quientessential dog film.