On the Waterfront - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

On the Waterfront Reviews

½ August 17, 2017
It's really hard to define the genius Brando does in this film with his performance. It's not just subtle, it's something extraordinary and unorthodox and it really defines a new generation and style of acting all at once. And Elia Kazan's directing is just magnificent.
August 1, 2017
Brando's attention to detail and innovative approach to his role as Terry Malloy changed acting forever and arguably will be remembered as the greatest performance of all time.
July 24, 2017
El director Elia Kazan, el guionista Budd Schulberg y el actor Marlon Brando nos ofrecen un maravilloso relato acerca de la necesidad de tomar partido. Relato que, a la vez, hoy en día se puede ver como retrato del dilema ético de Kazan, quien denunció a varios de sus colegas en la época de "La Lista Negra".

Esta es una de las mejores películas de la década del 50 y una de las mejores en la historia del cine, que incluye una de las mejores actuaciones de Brando interpretando al boxeador fracasado Terry Malloy. Las escenas de este actor junto a Eva Marie Saint en el bar y su conversación con Rod Steiger en el interior de un auto, evidencian la enorme calidad interpretativa de este alumno del "Método", quien prácticamente redefinió las posibilidades de la actuación en el cine.

"On The Waterfront" es una cinta inmortal que todo amante del cine debe ver una y otra y otra vez.
July 21, 2017
On The Waterfront is not only a new impact of story-telling, but gives us the brilliance of Marlon Brando
June 18, 2017
On the Waterfront possui oito Oscar, unanimidade positiva da critica e ainda tem Marlon Brando como estrela principal, imediatamente é impossível argumenta algo que possa diminuir esse colosso cinematográfico mas, ta faltando algo! E difícil de acreditar que esse roteiro simples tenha impactado o mundo.
June 15, 2017
If anyone can watch the climax, having followed these vividly realized and beautifully portrayed characters, and not be moved to tears, they are a stronger person than I.

Brando, Malden, and Saint give three of the finest performances that I've ever seen, and Kazan directs with so much compassion and empathy.
June 6, 2017
Powerful, bold statement of a movie. Marlon Brando outdoes himself in this movie as well as Lee J. Cobb's acting phenomenally as he always does.
May 27, 2017
Atmospheric melodrama with a stunning performance from Marlon Brando. Fans of series 2 of The Wire will recognise the setting. Some amazing scenes and set pieces.
April 22, 2017
On the Waterfront is a classic drama that finds the perfect blend of seriousness and lightheartedness. Marlon Brando is terrific as Terry and Eva Marie Saint is great as well. The characters were all interesting in their own ways. The score was good, the overall message of the story of morals and integrity wasn't too corny and there are some classic lines. Iconic.
½ April 8, 2017
Led by a tremendous team of actors, especially Marlon Brando with his revolutionary strides, as well as directed with full emotional force, this drama stands tall with Hollywood's most solid classics.
February 28, 2017
With possibly the greatest acting performance in cinema history, Marlon Brando undoubtedly made this movie.
January 19, 2017
A fantastic look at dealing with corruption in the lives of blue collar workers. Brando and Marie give some awesomely powerful performances, which gives some real weight to some of the issues dealt with in the film.
January 8, 2017
The fight for a unionized America ! Brandon is powerful as a union labor negotiator fighting against unfair working conditions, organized crime and a future worth living and fighting for
December 13, 2016
Forget Nyquil. Needed a nap and this movie did the trick.
November 12, 2016
When people discuss art being a reflection of reality, whether it be reflecting it's truth or the discussion of it, they are talking about On The Waterfront.

10/10
½ August 27, 2016
"I think somebody fell off the roof."
½ July 21, 2016
I enjoyed this mob versus common man movie. I wondered where that line "I could have been a contender" was from, now I know. Brando at his best.
July 20, 2016
Great movie, but if you watch the DVD and listen to the "commentary" supposedly about 'the' movie, you will be gravely disappointed as two men talk on and on and on solely about their opinion. The continually references to Brando's "sexiness", by these two old men, became so sickening that I will not be able to view the movie again without mentally hearing their ongoing non-stop rhetoric. I have been ruined. The majic I once had, has now vanished. This one will remain on the shelf. My advice: watch the movie, fall in love with its realness, but whatever you do, DO NOT listen to the "Special Feature" commentary...it'll ruin the beauty of the film.
July 19, 2016
John Friendly -- not too friendly.
July 16, 2016
On the Waterfront (1954) 108m. ???? D: Elia Kazan. Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb, Rod Steiger, Pat Henning, Leif Erickson, Eva Marie Saint. Staggering film of underpaid union workers and the one man who stands up to their "untouchable" employers--a bad idea. Brando as ex-prize fighter, Malden as priest, Cobb as corrupt union manager, Steiger as Brando's sinister brother, and Saint as girlfriend are all perfect. Eight Oscars: Picture, Direction, Brando, Saint, Screenplay, Cinematography, Art Direction, Editing. Leonard Bernstein's thundering score SHOULD have won.