On the Waterfront - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

On the Waterfront Reviews

½ September 18, 2017
This American crime drama just couldn't hold my attention. It was a little too slow in parts, and while the acting is generally very good, it wasn't enough to keep me interested. I also found the music annoying and distracting. Perhaps the subject matter and old-time feel of the movie is not as relevant as it once was. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time. It also contains one of the top classic lines of all time 'I could have been somebody...'. AAW 1001
September 11, 2017
Movie afternoon with Iris.

Feeling dirty after Girl on the Train, i needed redemption with a classic. You don't get much better than this. Unbelievable cast all turning it up to 11. "I could have been a contender" and "Christ is down here on the waterfront"; two of the greatest scenes ever. I see more of the Christian imagery each time, and Bernstein's electric score. Genius film.
September 5, 2017
On the Waterfront gives a phenomenal performance by Marlon Brando giving him an oscar for best actor! The story of a man who works on the piers of NYC that's run by a mob boss really explains what some people go through in life. The story is spectacular and the movie is really electrifying.
½ August 17, 2017
It's really hard to define the genius Brando does in this film with his performance. It's not just subtle, it's something extraordinary and unorthodox and it really defines a new generation and style of acting all at once. And Elia Kazan's directing is just magnificent.
August 1, 2017
Brando's attention to detail and innovative approach to his role as Terry Malloy changed acting forever and arguably will be remembered as the greatest performance of all time.
July 24, 2017
El director Elia Kazan, el guionista Budd Schulberg y el actor Marlon Brando nos ofrecen un maravilloso relato acerca de la necesidad de tomar partido. Relato que, a la vez, hoy en día se puede ver como retrato del dilema ético de Kazan, quien denunció a varios de sus colegas en la época de "La Lista Negra".

Esta es una de las mejores películas de la década del 50 y una de las mejores en la historia del cine, que incluye una de las mejores actuaciones de Brando interpretando al boxeador fracasado Terry Malloy. Las escenas de este actor junto a Eva Marie Saint en el bar y su conversación con Rod Steiger en el interior de un auto, evidencian la enorme calidad interpretativa de este alumno del "Método", quien prácticamente redefinió las posibilidades de la actuación en el cine.

"On The Waterfront" es una cinta inmortal que todo amante del cine debe ver una y otra y otra vez.
July 21, 2017
On The Waterfront is not only a new impact of story-telling, but gives us the brilliance of Marlon Brando
June 18, 2017
On the Waterfront possui oito Oscar, unanimidade positiva da critica e ainda tem Marlon Brando como estrela principal, imediatamente é impossível argumenta algo que possa diminuir esse colosso cinematográfico mas, ta faltando algo! E difícil de acreditar que esse roteiro simples tenha impactado o mundo.
June 15, 2017
If anyone can watch the climax, having followed these vividly realized and beautifully portrayed characters, and not be moved to tears, they are a stronger person than I.

Brando, Malden, and Saint give three of the finest performances that I've ever seen, and Kazan directs with so much compassion and empathy.
June 6, 2017
Powerful, bold statement of a movie. Marlon Brando outdoes himself in this movie as well as Lee J. Cobb's acting phenomenally as he always does.
May 27, 2017
Atmospheric melodrama with a stunning performance from Marlon Brando. Fans of series 2 of The Wire will recognise the setting. Some amazing scenes and set pieces.
April 22, 2017
On the Waterfront is a classic drama that finds the perfect blend of seriousness and lightheartedness. Marlon Brando is terrific as Terry and Eva Marie Saint is great as well. The characters were all interesting in their own ways. The score was good, the overall message of the story of morals and integrity wasn't too corny and there are some classic lines. Iconic.
½ April 8, 2017
Led by a tremendous team of actors, especially Marlon Brando with his revolutionary strides, as well as directed with full emotional force, this drama stands tall with Hollywood's most solid classics.
February 28, 2017
With possibly the greatest acting performance in cinema history, Marlon Brando undoubtedly made this movie.
January 19, 2017
A fantastic look at dealing with corruption in the lives of blue collar workers. Brando and Marie give some awesomely powerful performances, which gives some real weight to some of the issues dealt with in the film.
January 8, 2017
The fight for a unionized America ! Brandon is powerful as a union labor negotiator fighting against unfair working conditions, organized crime and a future worth living and fighting for
December 13, 2016
Forget Nyquil. Needed a nap and this movie did the trick.
November 12, 2016
When people discuss art being a reflection of reality, whether it be reflecting it's truth or the discussion of it, they are talking about On The Waterfront.

10/10
½ August 27, 2016
"I think somebody fell off the roof."
½ July 21, 2016
I enjoyed this mob versus common man movie. I wondered where that line "I could have been a contender" was from, now I know. Brando at his best.