Once Bitten Reviews

• Sep 30, 2019

Amazing movie, so ahead of its time <3

Amazing movie, so ahead of its time <3

• Sep 03, 2019

Jim Carrey plays a horny high school student, as are all teenage boys in 80s sex comedies, when he is seduced by Lauren Hutton, who happens to be a blond centuries old vampire who needs the blood of a virgin to retain her youth and beauty. Carrey also has a wholesome high school sweetheart, who then gets jealous of the vampire seductress and lots of unfunny door slamming farcical shenanigans ensure, which includes Carrey's annoying, equally horny friends, and Hutton's vampire minions, one of whom is Cleavon Little playing Hutton's butler as an ugly gay stereotype, which is a "comedy" element that didn't age well at all. It's also odd that a sex comedy is rated PG-13. However, in the film's favor, Carrey is likable in a fairly restrained comedic role compared to the broad comedy he later became famous for, and there is one sequence at a high school dance were Hutton and Carrey's girlfriend have a dance battle of sorts that fairly clever, so it's not completely terrible. As a bonus, at the start of that high school dance scene, look fast for a young Megan Mullally, who checks in Carrey and his girlfriend for the Halloween costume dance. You can also look fast for Dean Stockwell as a valet attendant before his late 80s career renaissance following his role as Ben in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet." Also of interest, one of the films' four writers went on to co-write some animated classics such as "The Lion King," "James and the Giant Peach" and "Monster Inc." and the film's cinematographer was Adam Greenberg, who'd later go on to shoot classics like "Near Dark" and Terminator 1 & 2. Overall, this is not an 80s comedy classic and is in fact quite offensive at times for various reason, but is certainly not the worst 80s comedy out there (that distinction probably belongs to "Soul Man," where C. Thomas Howell poses as a young black man in order to get into Harvard). FUN FACT! The film was written for Elvira, but initially offered to Morgan Fairchild, who turned down the role that eventually went to Hutton.

• Dec 20, 2018

Jim Carrey has come full circle.

Jim Carrey has come full circle.

• Nov 05, 2018

I love this movie! Campy and silly, idk why the score is so low.

I love this movie! Campy and silly, idk why the score is so low.

• Oct 25, 2018

It's a classic example of why 80s movies are so fun. Great cast, original story. It's so underrated, I really recommend it. Jim Carrey really shines in this film and I just love the dance scene.

• Aug 15, 2018

Love this movie its a classic comedy.

Love this movie its a classic comedy.

• Sep 27, 2017

Definitely cheesy, but entertaining.

Definitely cheesy, but entertaining.

• Sep 23, 2017

I LOVE this film. It has that very 80s teenage movie vibe and it's Fantastic. From start to finish a very young Jim Carey gives comic relief to make this vampire flick fun and refreshing.

• May 16, 2017

Pretty intriguing film. It`s the 80`s and full of vampire comedy.

Pretty intriguing film. It`s the 80`s and full of vampire comedy.

• Feb 19, 2017

One of the best coming of age comedy movies I have ever watched. I understand the movie has some corny moments and crude humor in it, but it was always seemed magical to me! This was Jim Carrey's first starring role with the very sexy and hot Lauren Hutton. His virginal sweet heart Karen Kopins, was something worth fighting for as well and the clash between an experienced woman verses an innocent one just worked out perfectly for me. I loved the scene where innocent Robin told the countess "Mark doesn't want you because your mean and evil, he wants me because I'm nice and sweet and pure, so F--- off! The supporting cast was wonderful from The countess Sebastian to Jim Carrey's friends who fit the typical stereotypical male virgins saying all the wrong things to the women they meet. If you can give the movie a chance and be transported back to a more innocent time with 80's music, a great cast and a light way to look back at those embarrassing moments of growing up.