Ong Bak 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ong Bak 3 Reviews

March 9, 2016
??? ??????? ?? ????? ??? ?? ????
November 13, 2015
A film that should have never been made and the series would have been better if it ended with the second film.
½ July 13, 2015
I was pretty disappointed with this Tony Jaa film. None of his films have ever had a very good story or character development, but this one even less so. Also, what made his previous films stand out is their claims of no wires, CG and no camera tricks... all 100 % ability. That made him kind of the new Jackie Chan, but this film went more of the supernatural route and introduced wires and more special effects, which made the marital arts less impressive. Utilizing unused footage from "Ong-bak 2" this film takes off where that one left off with Jaa finding his village destroyed and then seeking revenge. That's a passable enough of set-up for a martial arts film, but this film then focuses A LOT on Buddhism philosophy which is not what I was looking for in a kung-fu (or muay thai) flick. And not that I'm against a film teaching eastern religions, but this one was not a very good one. Stick with "Kundun" instead for that and stick with Jaa's other film instead of this one.
½ January 21, 2015
Unnecesary third part
December 27, 2014
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SO SO SO SO SO BAD......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SO SO SO DREADFUL, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......MAN THIS IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MESSY MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH AN AWFUL MOVIE 2 WATCH, IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL IT IS SUCH A BAD MOVIE 2 WATCH, JUST AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS IT IS THAT BAD.....JUST DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT IS SO AWFUL.......ITS GOT A GOOD SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....BUT MAN THIS MOVIE IS SO SO SO AWFUL 2 WATCH.....its got great fight scenes throughout this movie but man this is such a bad movie 2 watch, the 1st ong bak is the best out of all 3 movies......
½ December 14, 2014
A tiring movie with 30 explosive minutes in the end. I believe that the director failed miserably since in most scenes he produced a monotonous movie. Had it not been for the last 30 explosive minutes then we would be talking about a major failure. I can't really recommend it unless you're a fan of the particular martial arts scene.
November 28, 2014
I have just now come to realize that tony jaa is a beast lol, and of course if you've seen the first two ong baks, you'd already know what to expect, nonstop adrenaline pumping action that has you on the edge of your seat and makes your jaw drop in excitement
November 1, 2014
Tony Jaa gets all spiritual, dances around a bit & well you have to see it to believe it. Not my cuppa. Not a scratch on all of his previous material but still worth a look
July 23, 2014
2/10
almost a complete meltdown, putting in crows and retarded sfx, ffs if you got tony jaa you dont need any other shit
May 18, 2014
An intense conclusion to saga. It also helps when Tony Jaa does his thing. Wildly entertaining.
½ May 14, 2014
Having some free time to spend, I decided to get Ong Bak 3 a heavy re-watch, since the first time I watched it, I yawned so much I got sleep during the movie's third act. But who can blame me? Who can blame anyone that got bored or annoyed watching this lackluster Thai action movie? Let's do a quick recap on the previous two movies:

The first Ong Bak didn't have the best story ever, but the action scenes where the movie's big highlight, relying on hidden trampolines and camera techniques to make them happen, no computers or wire work, pure physical effects. That glued the movie together all the way; every single action scene had something new or more impressive to show. The second movie was different, taking place way before the first movie. It was darker and gorier, but just as entertaining, even if it wasn't as good: the story wasn't told well and the ending was too much show and little satisfaction. It was good nevertheless, and very watchable. With that said, let's dive into the big diarrhea sea that is Ong Bak 3.

The story, much like the first movie, is thin, but they have the balls to give it an inconsistent rhythm and pacing, with too much and yet nothing happening. There's no real character; either hero or villain, it doesn't matter; it goes without glory or attention. The movie makes the first use in the decaying trilogy of computers and wires, which disappoint a lot and the computer effects, are awful. That's degrading the saga guys...sad. The action scenes, while well-choreographed and entertaining (plus, fun) they felt empty without any character to care who's fighting who. Movies like Michael Bay's Transformers films, even those at least "establish" a character (even if it goes undeveloped) before having him fight something. Here, there's none of that, so we're just watching two figures punching each other, without really caring who wins or lose; all we can care about is getting the fuck off wherever we're watching this.

The first two movies leaved something in me, this one only gave me dreams, cause I could barely stand the movie's pacing, lack of energy and character, boring me. If you haven't watch this, well, it goes without saying that you shouldn't. Instead enjoy the enjoyable action fests that are the first and second movies. At least those two should provide some good memories of bone-breaking. Ong Bak 3 it's just deplorable and despicable...me.
May 3, 2014
I wish I hadn't watched this movie, is the worst for me in years. It's an insult to the first movie. I cannot say it's bad, I'll simply say that this movie shouldn't exist.
April 11, 2014
I think u really rushed to get this movie done there's no point to the movie and then I have to wait like an hour to see any action ...
½ March 7, 2014
Most people fail to understand this movie properly. The first Ong Bak really is a separate sort of thing, but Ong Bak 2 and 3 are intimately linked. Chernang tells young Tien that weapons are the source of power and dominance. Tien trains and becomes intensely powerful, but also brutal and animalistic. Notice how beastial he in in the final scenes of Ong Bak 2. Contrast this to his final enlightenment in Ong Bak 3: he refuses to touch weapons. Indeed, in that weirdly brutal scene (a vision I think) right before the end, it's uncharacteristically violent for Tien at that point of his development because of the use of deadly weapons. The fact that these two movies managed to make the martial arts reflect inward changes of the main character, from brutal to peaceful, is impressive, and certainly beyond the scope of your average mindless bone-breaker flick. Throw in some interesting baptism imagery in Tien's final fight (also note when Tien looks like Thai-Jesus) and you have a visually stunning and thematically interesting martial arts movie.
January 21, 2014
Hopeless. Disorienting. Pointless "action" film that lacks any real action. Tony Jaa needs to put down the director cap and reunite with Pranchya Pinkaew.
December 26, 2013
Can you startt with a brainless, yet funny and inventive, action flick, and then get wiser and wiser until you release a deep and enlightning movie ?

Well I'm still waiting to see that happen - here they tried, and failed.

The rule of "the third movie is never as good as the previous two" seems to be a real malediction...

Mind you. I like stupid fun movies as much as I like smart movies.
What I don't like is when movies try to appear smarter than they really are.

I didn't mind the fact that the 2 previous Ong Bak didn't have a real scenario, because anyways, they didn't try too hard. This one however does try... But mainly it's a long series of clichés :p

This movie is easy to watch and occasionally fun though, Jaa's fighting is still great.
Good enough if you've seen the 2 previous ones - otherwise, forget it.
December 1, 2013
Amazing threequel!! It was action-packed and a bit emotional!! The movie will have you cheering on the protagonist!! Tony Jaa is an underrated actor and needs to get more well-known!! This is a must-see for fight fans!!
October 31, 2013
Not as good as part 2 but worth seeing to complete series
October 27, 2013
it was awful. the fight scenes were good but the rest of the movie was terrible. bad plot and terrible acting and direction
October 15, 2013