Open Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Open Water Reviews

January 3, 2017
The movie, "Open Water", terrifies me more than any other movie I've EVER seen and its probably not even in my top 10 movies of all time. I can't think of a more horrifying way to die outside of maybe plummeting to earth in a 750 MPH uncontrolled vertical dive.
½ November 13, 2016
Terrible horrible movie. Despicable that someone would make such a movie. They should be ashamed
October 9, 2016
If I could give this movie zero stars I would. From the amateur acting to the terrible script, shot by a terrible videographer, I warm you to not waste your time with this god awful movie.
September 13, 2016
The reason so many people dislike this film is because they are unable to appreciate a film for it's story, it's acting and not for huge explosions, and CGI. This film, which focusses on just two actors, is a budget film that pulls off a ferociously intense story that keeps your captivated until the very end. People that say it's boring, crap etc are too used to huge Hollywood films such as Avatar etc. This is a rare, yet extraordinary piece of film making with convincing acting and a harrowing true story, definitely not one to miss!
September 7, 2016
Just the right length....interesting accounts of the events. Not much to the movie though, but you are pulling for the divers.
August 19, 2016
Terrifying. For all of its lowfi qualities, it's actually the really effective and tense thriller. Especially the night scenes.
½ August 18, 2016
The fact this got a 72% makes me question the validity of rotten tomatoes.
July 26, 2016
Open Water is the terrifying and intense true story of a young couple who are mistakenly left behind during a scuba dive excursion and must face the reality that they are all alone in the middle of the ocean with no rescue in sight. For what it lacks in star-power and production values, it more than makes up for with nail-biting tension that puts you in the shoes of these two unfortunate people when you realize just how terrifying the ocean actually is. The film is shot with HD cameras to give it a hyper-realistic feel which puts you right there with them and horrifies the audience every now and then when the camera dips below the surface and shows us what is swimming around them. One amazing thing about this film is that no CGI was used and thus the sharks, jellyfish, etc were all real and the actors had to overcome their fears and swim amongst them. This film is the true definition of a HORROR film as the situation these people find themselves in is the absolute last thing I would ever want to experience and the filmmakers do a great job keeping the tension taut throughout. It proves that imagination is far-scarier than big-budget effects and this is easily the scariest shark film since Jaws!
July 9, 2016
Not much of a movie. More like a travel advisory warning and one of the main reasons you won't catch me Scuba diving. At least they squeeze a topless scene into the 79 minute running time.
July 5, 2016
As a fan of horror flicks
The film does a good job at building suspense as a viewer you can't help but feel truly helpless as the waves move above and sharks circle below for a low budget they did an amazing Job i'd take this film over a campy shark fest any day of the week for a low budget with some intense moments I was impressed.
5/5 stars
June 27, 2016
had some interesting moments better then #2
June 26, 2016
This is the most primaly terrifying movie I have seen in my life.
June 26, 2016
I admire the realism in this film. It's not a blood-thirsty monster movie, it's just a straightforward true story portrayal and what would actually happen in this situation. That said, the characters aren't very interesting to watch and their acting doesn't really sell the realism for me, but there are some nice fearful moments.
June 23, 2016
Interesting concept: by somewhat unbelievable circumstances a couple are stranded in the middle of the ocean, while nature waits in the distance preparing to attack. Although I enjoy the realism, this concept doesn't hold my attention for the short running time. Watch the non-Disney Frozen instead
½ June 20, 2016
Tediously long and excruciatingly painful to endure movie all leading up to a super sucky ending. Pray there is no sequel!
April 15, 2016
Taps into a ubiquitous primal fear: being stranded in the middle of the ocean.
February 4, 2016
a very different dive into the human psyche. however, not for everyone. Definitely blair witch on the water but if you liked blair witch project its worth a look
½ January 29, 2016
Genuinely good, I'm surprised it didn't get more acknowledgement. Slow, but the use of suspense is really effective. Also the two characters are in a very healthy, adorable and supportive relationship considering the circumstances (not the point, but still exists.)
½ January 28, 2016
Por isso que adoro filmes de baixo orçamento. Tudo se resume a uma direção competente e atuações idem. Sem pirotecnia que distraia suas falhas. Notável por prender a atenção por tanto tempo numa locação tão limitada.
January 18, 2016
Open Water was impeccable garbage. And was so for a number of reasons not short of including things such as, but not limited to; the world's dumbest and most stupid people. The latter of the plot is just completely horrible and stupid. Our married main characters are so stupid, especially the guy and the film just wastes so much time and it's so boring. Pass this film immediately and don't look back!