Ordet (The Word) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ordet (The Word) Reviews

½ November 9, 2016
This film by Carl Theodor Dryer was quite an experience for me. It is examines the faith of a man and his 3 grown sons whose faith goes from the extreme to the non-existent. Set in 1925, the small family enter a crisis when the wife of the eldest son, the non-believer, goes into labour and experiences complications. Not being religious myself, I didn't expect the story to have much impact for me, but it is so well written and told, that it's impossible not to get caught-up in it. This is considered one of Dryer's masterpieces, and I can see why. Regardless of religious beliefs, I can think any serious film fan can get something from this film!
½ November 7, 2016
Phenomenally brilliant.
October 7, 2016
A deeply religious elderly farmer has three sons, one wants to marry a girl from a different denomination, one has no faith and the other believes that he is Jesus Christ risen again. The result is an interesting study of religious faith and conflict.

Each shot in the film was deliberately set up, lit and prepared in such a way that they look like painting compositions. Everything is very sparse and minimal. The subject matter isn't something that I would normally be drawn to but it is well worth a watch. It ranks in the top 25 of both the directors and critics poll of the greatest films of all time.
August 3, 2016
Preachy with its symbolism, but a sermon well worth hearing. Masterfully shot and acted. Very good film. CDW
July 21, 2016
Simple humanity is really complex stuff. Ordet is a patient yet potent look at faith and family that is skeptical and affirming all at once. Johannes, the mentally disturbed yet oddly prophetic brother who thinks he's the reincarnation of Christ, is one of the most phenomenal characters ever; funny yet piercingly perceptive of hypocritical Christianity. And the ending is a supremely difficult punch to the gut that had me perplexed for days.
½ June 12, 2016
faith vs. religion u descide who wins
June 12, 2016
Very well made. A bit slow, but so well written, acted and directed. The religious themes were thought provoking as well.
May 7, 2016
Ordet is an extraordinary, phenomenal masterpiece; it is mesmerizing in its drama and spirituality and for entire sections, my eyes never left the screen.
December 20, 2015
Does more to make you understand faith than any other film. This picture is indeed slow and difficult to watch, building to a draining, horrific climax...but the final minutes are an unforgettable experience. Without giving anything away, a family devastated by enormous loss is asked to believe in something truly insane. Nothing, not logic nor the grim story we've witnessed up to this point, gives them any concrete reason to do so. But there is one person who does, and there's nothing like those final moments anywhere else in cinema.
April 5, 2015
A movie has more lasting impact if it shuns effort to be understood and to just allow the viewers to ask their personal questions -- in this case, the level of our faith.
While it was slow at first, the movie had me when the two old fathers had their discourse on the difference of their Christian faiths -- one believes that the faith is about the warmth of life; the other looks forward to coldness of death. I on the other hand believe that faith is a personal, special, and individual gift from God so that one cannot impose his to the other. I was oscillating from one side of the argument to the other as both have points which are also part of what I believe in.
And when the movie piles up surprises upon surprises (that are not just whimsical; they also made me ask more questions), there goes that finale that is brave enough in the filmmakers' part -- yet so powerful that it made ask myself -- how big can ever my faith be.
March 14, 2015
I've been wanting to see this movie my whole life. Yet I only heard of it recently. What I mean by that is, everything that's manifested in this movie is just what I've always been waited for a filmmaker to show me, without necessarily even knowing it. I can't put it into words. Einstein once said that while Beethoven "created" music, Mozart's music "was so pure, that it seemed to have been ever-present in the universe, waiting to be discovered." That is how I look at 'Ordet.' It stirs something in me that's been yearning to be sated; to be shown something so beautiful & so pure... and it was Dreyer who finally did it; and long before I was born! Everybody has that once in a lifetime movie that one feels so intimately & interminably connected with, it almost seems as though it was made just for them. Brian Wilson said that he wanted to write music that people prayed to. In a similar way, Carl Dreyer created something that seems more a religious experience than a form of entertainment. It may or may not meet everyone's tastes, but that is how I feel about this film. It's miraculous.

*Note- The Flixster review confuses two of the sons, Anders & Mikkel.
February 17, 2015
Uma obra vida espiritual e os conflitos terrenos e celestes desejos que não denigrem ou simplificão a religião, apesar da natureza falivel dos personagens e da instituição da própria religião.
½ October 30, 2014
Thought provoking slow burner, this Dreyer outing deals with a farming family and their crises of faith, and heavily dwells on the themes of religion, faith and personal conviction. The use of long takes and an almost Renaissance-styling to the composition give the film a mesmerizing power, even if it comes at the cost of pacing.
½ August 25, 2014
It was pretty crazy but pretty good.
July 24, 2014
Such a breath taking movie. Dreyer's vision mashed with Munk's play, is simply a work of art that goes beyond what we can conceive in our minds.
½ May 25, 2014
A family's faith is tested when a farmer's son believes he is Jesus & his daughter-in-law dies during childbirth. A family's faith is replenished when the Jesus son resurrects his brother's dead wife.
May 11, 2014
It's impossible to take in during a single viewing so I know I'm going to need to watch it again down the road. I liked it but I have some specific misgivings about it that are less the fault of the film and more about my personal tastes and preferences. Never the less it's a powerful, immense work of filmmaking, and one of the most beautifully shot films I have seen. Ever. The chiaroscuro is so strong that it may be the most colorful black and white film I've ever seen.
April 20, 2014
Ordet is a miracle!!
January 22, 2014
Una fotografia exquisita y un ritmo lento que permite que penetremos en el alma de cada uno de los miembros de la familia Borgen, hace de esta película, acerca de la fe y el amor, un absoluto clásico del cine. Verla una sola vez no le hace justicia: Esta es una obra milagrosa y curativa.