The Outlaw Josey Wales Reviews

• Mar 26, 2020

One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

One of my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

• Mar 26, 2020

One of the best and most realistic Western movies of all time. The raw and gritty nature of the story and dialogue, coupled with the marvelous cinematography, is tied together with fantastic direction and editing. Clint Eastwood at his absolute best.

• Jan 03, 2020

A cool Western, but a dated revisionist story. Clint Eastwood's revisionist Western The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) is a cool slow burn with exciting shootouts of impossible speed and riveting chases across Texas. On the other hand, The Outlaw Josey Wales is a horribly dated film full of conservative politics that Eastwood and writer Phil Kaufman just cannot hide. Turning the Confederates fighting to preserve slavery into these lone wolf heroes rallying bravely against the wild Union army hunting them down like savages is gross revisionist history. Not even trying to be fair, Eastwood makes the Union scum that burns down homes and steals women, while ruthless gunning down unarmed soldiers who surrendered. Not to mention the fact that the other villains are Native Americans, despite two Native heroes tailing along with Clint for mostly comedy relief and the occasional backup, on top of the Union all while not giving any attention or lines to the women in the story. Sondra Locke literally only says 5 lines in the entire film. I particularly loathe how women are only present to be raped or saved. The Outlaw Josey Wales is all machismo and no thought. It feigns at maturity by declaring all war bad and worth abandoning in the end, but that doesn't excuse an entire film of reactionary nonsense from Eastwood. I will say that the sudden shootouts are exciting and well shot, pun intended. Whether Eastwood is getting ambushed or just stumbling upon enemies by the dozen, his calm and collected hero is ready for a quickdraw. I am always entertained by Eastwood gunning down men bullet after bullet and there's just enough action to keep you interested. So, I must admit Eastwood is an impressive director that lets you enjoy the old West in all its grit and glory despite his hatred. The Outlaw Josey Wales is well shot and creatively directed, so hopefully you can still find someone neat among all the cruel racism and vile sexism. Clint Eastwood himself is the highlight of The Outlaw Josey Wales and probably the only reason this movie has stood the test of time for most audiences. He is his classic quiet hero like "The Man with No Name" from Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy of Westerns once more. Eastwood just looks too cool squinting his eyes, reaching for his dual revolvers, and blasting away entire groups of foes. I can at least recommend The Outlaw Josey Wales for Clint Eastwood's genuinely awesome lead character in this solid Western.

• Jan 01, 2020

It is too bad that our younger generation does not care about these type of classic movies.

• Dec 26, 2019

The Man with No Name, but more reflective and thoughtful. Eastwood at his best and grittiest.

• Dec 20, 2019

A great Western that shows the southern view and side of things unlike modern movies that portray only the yankees as heroes. history is written and twisted by yanks. A great movie that remedies this injustice

• Nov 23, 2019

Best westerns ever made. 1. Outlaw Josey Wales 2. Jeremiah Johnson 3. Unforgiven 4. Tombstone 5. The Good

• Oct 10, 2019

A great western. hands down. One of my favorite.

A great western. hands down. One of my favorite.

• Jun 19, 2019

The Outlaw Josey Wales is so well made you don't have to watch it twice to see it's appeal

• Feb 24, 2019

One of my all time favourites, "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"