Overboard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Overboard Reviews

September 25, 2016
Very enjoyable movie. Great for the family. Man gets stiffed by a rich woman who later looses her memory and he takes advantage of it.
½ August 21, 2016
a tour de force for Golie Hawn. Kurt Russell is very good and so is the rest of the cast. Quite a few lol moments.
April 26, 2016
It's not smart, but it's satisfyingly funny.
March 26, 2016
Nice comedy from the 80s with handsome and talented performers and comic situations.
January 14, 2016
One of my favorite comedy romances.
January 5, 2016
Didn't like it that much.
December 28, 2015
I would not throw a life preserver to save this comedy. A struggling carpenter takes advantage of a very wealthy snob when she turns up at a hospital with amnesia shortly after stiffing him on a bill. Not terrible but just not much humourous in watching a horribly irresponsible father set a poor example.
December 20, 2015
While much of this movie would be illegal in real life, it is still hard not to laugh while watching it. It's not one of the great comedies, but it has its moments.
½ December 19, 2015
Somewhat entertaining at times, but the premise is ridiculous. I know it's a movie, but it didn't feel right to me. (First and only viewing - 8/28/2015)
October 14, 2015
I know this movie is not reviewed well, but I love it! Overboard is one of those movies I can watch over and over which never gets old. It is quite possibly my favorite comedy and the chemistry between Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell is undeniable! "Listen to me medical people!"
August 19, 2015
I can't see a movie like Overboard being made today. If they tried, people would decry it as misogynistic or abusive. And yet, this movie has a certain endearing and enduring charm. Goldie Hawn effortlessly switches her performance from narcissist to door mat to loving mother. It's impressive to watch. This movie is loud, obnoxious and ridiculous, but I like it.
August 8, 2015
One of my personal favorites. Not sure what it is, but the movie really hit accord with me.
August 2, 2015
Snooty rich lady Goldie Hawn hires local yokel Kurt Russell to redo her ships closet. Hawn then stiffs Russell on payment for his work, saying he used the wrong wood, and then shoves him overboard. Soon after, Hawn herself falls overboard and loses her memory. Her rich husband is glad to be rid of her and leaves her in the hospital with amnesia. Russell then shows up claiming to be her husband and plans to make her cook and clean for him for a month to cover the payment she stiffed him on. It's pretty obvious where the story goes. Hawn is a fish out of water in the small town of Elk Cove, OR and in trying to cook and clean for Russell and his unruly boys, but then Russell learns from Hawn and Hawn learns from Russell and will they fall in love? It's completely formula, but Russell (mullet and all) and Hawn are very likable and director Garry Marshall knows how to milk a good formula. The film is also populated with talented character actors that include Edward Herrmann, Katherine Helmond, Roddy McDowall, Hector Elizondo and Arnold's stunt double Sven-Ole Thorsen playing Olaf (a non-speaking role). Back in my video store clerk days, I remember this being quite popular and I kind of wonder if this comedy has become undeservedly forgotten. It's nothing brilliant, but it's pretty entertaining.
½ July 16, 2015
i really liked this movie more just now as an adult
rather than when i was a kid. its very "80's" right down to the ending...
Dean asks Annie(Joanna) if there's anything the world he could give her that her rich ass doesn't already have.
Annie replies "A little girl" aaaand
*queue Randy Newman song as the credits roll. =)
½ July 16, 2015
A warm, gentle but overall enjoyable comedy that has its roots in the screwball comedies of early Hollywood. Great performances from real life couple Hawn and Russell, with a group of kids that you don't want to smother with a pillow. A rare comedy that doesn't rely upon vulgarity, swearing or toilet humour for its laughs. They rarely make films like this anymore.
½ June 5, 2015
The sentimentality and strong characters are ther, but the movie is never really that funny.
April 16, 2015
I love this movie classic Goldie Hahn and Kurt Russell.
April 9, 2015
I bought into this impossible format and had a decent time,so go figure.
April 7, 2015
There is no doubt anymore that Gary Marshal is one of the best fairy tale directors of Hollywood!
½ March 3, 2015
It's safe to say Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn are about as 80's a couple as can be and despite the fact that I like them both immensely, this movie really hasn't held up well over time. It's really not that funny anymore if it ever was at all. The one thing that most impressed me was how much an 80's PG rating differs from today. There's "bitches" "asses" I think even a "shit" and Goldie Hawn in lingerie. The 80's were a glorious time for movies.