Overboard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Overboard Reviews

May 20, 2017
If you gave this movie less then 4 stars that's because you didn't grow up to watch the movie with your family. This is a classic! I love the plot and the duo couple, Goldie Hawn & Kurt Russell!
May 17, 2017
Man thinks snooty woman is awful. Woman gets amnesia. Man tricks her into thinking she's his wife. In what world is that funny? Even in the realm of fiction it's gross and creepy.
April 9, 2017
Makes me laugh every time I've seen it.
March 14, 2017
Not entertaining for me but I did think there where funny moments but at the same time there is swearing witch is not good. But not great I think.
February 8, 2017
Classic pairing. It had some really funny moments at times.
½ December 1, 2016
Scuttled comedy effort has spoiled rich woman getting amnesia and claimed by poor, untidy handyman as his wife to collect on unpaid work. Film takes on water early on with unappealing characters and cannot fully bail itself out with attempts in the latter stages to humanize the participants. Rock n Roll Hall of Famer Randy Newman solidifies his legacy with another completely forgettable film composition.
October 29, 2016
A bit lumpy, but with a heart of gold. Goldie glows!
September 25, 2016
Very enjoyable movie. Great for the family. Man gets stiffed by a rich woman who later looses her memory and he takes advantage of it.
½ August 21, 2016
a tour de force for Golie Hawn. Kurt Russell is very good and so is the rest of the cast. Quite a few lol moments.
April 26, 2016
It's not smart, but it's satisfyingly funny.
March 26, 2016
Nice comedy from the 80s with handsome and talented performers and comic situations.
January 14, 2016
One of my favorite comedy romances.
January 5, 2016
Didn't like it that much.
December 28, 2015
I would not throw a life preserver to save this comedy. A struggling carpenter takes advantage of a very wealthy snob when she turns up at a hospital with amnesia shortly after stiffing him on a bill. Not terrible but just not much humourous in watching a horribly irresponsible father set a poor example.
December 20, 2015
While much of this movie would be illegal in real life, it is still hard not to laugh while watching it. It's not one of the great comedies, but it has its moments.
½ December 19, 2015
Somewhat entertaining at times, but the premise is ridiculous. I know it's a movie, but it didn't feel right to me. (First and only viewing - 8/28/2015)
October 14, 2015
I know this movie is not reviewed well, but I love it! Overboard is one of those movies I can watch over and over which never gets old. It is quite possibly my favorite comedy and the chemistry between Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell is undeniable! "Listen to me medical people!"
August 19, 2015
I can't see a movie like Overboard being made today. If they tried, people would decry it as misogynistic or abusive. And yet, this movie has a certain endearing and enduring charm. Goldie Hawn effortlessly switches her performance from narcissist to door mat to loving mother. It's impressive to watch. This movie is loud, obnoxious and ridiculous, but I like it.
August 8, 2015
One of my personal favorites. Not sure what it is, but the movie really hit accord with me.
August 2, 2015
Snooty rich lady Goldie Hawn hires local yokel Kurt Russell to redo her ships closet. Hawn then stiffs Russell on payment for his work, saying he used the wrong wood, and then shoves him overboard. Soon after, Hawn herself falls overboard and loses her memory. Her rich husband is glad to be rid of her and leaves her in the hospital with amnesia. Russell then shows up claiming to be her husband and plans to make her cook and clean for him for a month to cover the payment she stiffed him on. It's pretty obvious where the story goes. Hawn is a fish out of water in the small town of Elk Cove, OR and in trying to cook and clean for Russell and his unruly boys, but then Russell learns from Hawn and Hawn learns from Russell and will they fall in love? It's completely formula, but Russell (mullet and all) and Hawn are very likable and director Garry Marshall knows how to milk a good formula. The film is also populated with talented character actors that include Edward Herrmann, Katherine Helmond, Roddy McDowall, Hector Elizondo and Arnold's stunt double Sven-Ole Thorsen playing Olaf (a non-speaking role). Back in my video store clerk days, I remember this being quite popular and I kind of wonder if this comedy has become undeservedly forgotten. It's nothing brilliant, but it's pretty entertaining.