Pacific Rim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pacific Rim Reviews

October 15, 2017
Pacific rim is not bad at all, its actually pretty good, however, It over produces on visual thrills and fails to sport much more of a storyline than to keep its head peeking above the sea of generic action and sci fi
October 10, 2017
Giant Monsters vs Robots at a level never seen before, and with a lot of subtle worldbuilding effort that pays off. Toss in a strong emotional core in Mako, Idris's Stacker, and Raleigh, who despite being a generic male action lead at a glance, shows a surprising amount of emotional awareness and supports Mako Mori's story through much of his action. This case, plus the raw awesomeness of the Jaegers vs Kaiju battles, makes Pacific Rim one of my favorite movies.
½ October 7, 2017
For a flick in a genre which gets only a handful of movies every decade, Pacific Rim was pretty much a perfect monster movie. Del Toro does these movies to perfection and the characters are all quite interesting with the exception of the lead who was bland. Great movie with absolutely fantastic CGI.
½ September 28, 2017
Exactly what we want in entertainment! Just giant death robots beating on giant monsters.
September 20, 2017
Pacific Rim glorifies and celebrates giant robot and Kaiju movies of old. If you watched the trailer and thought to yourself "wow that was cool" then you wont me disappointed. But If you think the idea of fighting monsters with mechs sounds dumb then stay far away. What you see is what you get which might be the movies biggest weakness. The premise is so out there that it might be to hard for someone new to the genre to jump in and enjoy. The visual effects are vibrant and details which makes for an amazing watching experience. The Kaiju and jaegers move with much weight behind them you really get a feeling that they are there. Comparing how the jaegers move in this compared to a movie like transformers the difference is night and day. In transformers the robots move so quickly and with such gusto along with the cameras movement/position that it makes it hard to fallow the action or even give an appreciation to what the animators had to do. In this movie on the other hand we are given plenty of time to see the jaegers pull back a punch and see all the fine detail of the hydraulics working as the drops of rain hit the on the chest plate. While del Toro and the rest of the team did an amazing job at how it looks parts of the story fall short. Many characters call across as just down right dumb. Some characters go against conman sense and even when being told that something would not work try to go and do it anyway. Their are a few plot holes as well but nothing that takes away from my enjoyment of this film. This is a great movie and in my top 100 films list for sure. If you are a fan of Kaiju movies like Godzilla or giant robot shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion then you are sure to love this film. SPOILERS: Now for those plot holes. If you can only pass though the rift if the rift thinks the dna is a Kaiju then why are they able to pass though in the escape pods? There is a reveal of a sword that the main robot had on hand to use. The sword is shown to cut a Kaiju in half not once but twice thoughout the movie. Why does he not always use this if its so good? Why use your fists at all if you have these swords? And on that point why do you use the plasma cannons so infrequently? They don't mention that it uses power or anything or that it has a finite number of shots. But even if it does have a finite number of shots why not just use the sword which again is a sword and doesn't need ammo? Some of this stuff might be just for reveals, suspense, or because of the movies passing but they still should be brought up
½ September 7, 2017
Sophisticated whiz-bang saddled to an inspirational tale aimed for the lil'uns. Del Toro's most skeletal story yet, with each setup existing solely to complement the other setups.
September 3, 2017
I actually enjoyed this, if any film this is by far the easiest to realize how bad it could have been in any other persons hands. Anyway I thought it was great and entertaining! If it's on I'll always watch it to the end, will definitely watch the next one!
September 3, 2017
True, true garbage. The character cliches came thick and fast, and it feels like a third of the film's runtime is mindless CGI fights between robots and monsters. Worst film I've seen in years.
August 29, 2017
Monster packed action. Stellar popcorn action film to check out.
August 25, 2017
Enjoyed it! But with the audio mix and accents, it wasn't always easy to understand what was being said sometimes.
½ August 21, 2017
The three things I really liked from the movie were the visuals, music, and action. I also thought the story was good and the movie was ridiculous in a good way. My only negative was that the acting was not great. I am looking forward to the sequel coming out next year. I give this movie 9/10
August 21, 2017
The movie "Pacific Rim" was by most the movie the revived the Kaiju movie genre, right after cloverfield. Though the movie came out before Kong and Godzilla did in their respected movie verses. They both hold major differences while being inspired by the other. But lets delay get right into Pacific rim.
The best way to describe Pacific rim is not through its story, characters and dialogue but through its concept, style, and visual format storytelling. Pacific rim is practically a combined inspiration of everything giant monster based from Transformers, digimon, pokemon, voltron, ultraman, Power rangers, Gundam, Gamera and The king himself Godzilla. The movie feel like an old nostalgia trip back to childhood action shows with giant monsters or anime based feel and that's what movie feels like and why I really like it. The director Guillermo Del Toro is a big kaiju fa, and took inspiration from godzilla himself.
What holds the movie together is its cinematography and visual special effects. This is especially shown in the monster fight scenes, the fights are quick and over the top creative and fun such as scenes like the boat sword and elbow rocket along so much more. What makes it all work, is that it's paced and slow never too fast or throwing too much at you it's like if Michael Bay calmed down with the explosives to show a better story. Thus also contributes to the story like the fights they to are slow visually shown its like an good example of what an visual story is done, the format is clear and never to blurred or feels distracted it allows you to submerse yourself into that world.
What the Movie doesn't due to well however is its Character story writing and dialogue. Though the characters are fun, decent and have great moments like Pentecost and Mako, as well as Hannibal cho and Dr. newton. But other characters like Raleigh and Hansen are okay to like cliched action roles like Hansen is the bully and arrogant jerk, with lines that feel like they came from independence day or something. But then again it's still decent and better than Independence Day because it has a Narrative Story. just more visual than writing format. But that's what Pacific Rim is.
Though the movie took inspiration from Japanese Godzilla and some what of Kong's films, but there are some major difference by terms of concept. Godzilla is a natural disaster/tragedy based film with a monster in it, while kong is a pure monster movie has a sense of mystery and dread, mixed with great spielbergian characters and storytelling/writing that mix up the thought driven message that ends with tragedy. Pacific rim is an anime action based film like Transformers, Ultraman, Voltron, and with more visual based storytelling, than story writing/dialogue. But that makes it good because of charm and nostalgia, mainly due it being reminiscent of old childhood shows whether anime or western action based. While mixed with an clear, slow and well paced visual story format makes the world not only a realistic look and feel but also an identity that can easily be understood through the story better than Independence day itself.
So yeah I'd like pacific rim alot, is better than Kong or Godzilla, No! While both movies are different in concept nd Kong and Godzilla did their storyline and writing better, including Character. Pacific Rim is about one one thing. Childhood Nostalgia and formating to more an adult stage of modern age to bring back a fan loved series and concept that is extremely creative and fun. It was Inspired by Godzilla but yet it isn't its own thing but charming and nostalgic at the same time. Thanks to the visuals, cinematography, special effects and Format makes the world all the more reason to make it interesting. so Pacific rim in the end is a fun childhood nostalgia based film with good action, good example of visual storytelling and fun decent characters that balance out the movie just enough to make the Kaiju genre alive again.
August 19, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, after watching Pacific Rim, it s hard to believe that the word pacific comes from the Latin word meaning peace-making .

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) I was expecting another Transformers knock-off. But this was much, much more.

SCOTT: The movie begins with the city of San Francisco being decimated by a huge dinosaur-like monster that emerges from the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Soon other monsters are attacking other populated coastal cities around the world. Apparently, the beasts, called Kaijus, come from a portal that connects to another universe. To combat these creatures, human beings create equally huge mechanical robots, called Jaegers, which are operated by pairs of humans in mental synchronicity with each other. For a while, the Jaegers hold their own against the Kaijus, but soon the Kaijus adapt and grow bigger and smarter, creating a shortage of both Jaegers and pilots capable of operating them. Our hero, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam), is asked to come out of retirement to fight the beasts one more time.

GREG: He returns to an underground bunker where his old leader, Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba) commands all that is left of the once numerous Jaeger fleet: just four Jaegers left. Pentecost s gal Friday is Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) who wants to be a Jaeger pilot. Two bickering scientists (Charlie Day and Burn Gorman) are studying the Kaiju. The other Jaeger pilots are unsure of Becket as he is a known loose canon. The plan is to take a black-market Russian nuclear warhead and detonate it inside the portal, closing it forever.

SCOTT: Greg, Pacific Rim surprised me. I wasn t expecting to enjoy a movie that features monsters the size of the new World Trade Center fighting robots of equal size. But it was a remarkable visual spectacle. This is one of those movies that viewers must enjoy on the Big Screen. Yes, size matters. The CGI effects are simply astounding and if you wait to see this film on Netflix, you re cheating yourself out of a unique sensory experience. But the vast visuals are not the main reason I enjoyed this film. Yes, the staggering size of the Kaijus and Jaegers was breathtaking to behold, but the film s appeal derives mostly from a solid screenplay and many strong characters. We care about the humans who populate this film, and their story outshines the robots and the monsters. And we have a true hero s adventure with many entertaining peaks and valleys. I was impressed.

GREG: Scott, I grew up in the 70s and 80s on such TV shows as Ultraman, Voltron: Defender of the Universe, and Battle of the Planets (and later series like The Power Rangers). In each of these shows, a giant monster comes from out of nowhere to wreak havoc on planet Earth. Then, a group of humans band together to form a giant robot to destroy the monster - usually in 30 minutes or less. These shows (and movies such as Godzilla) are known in Japan as Tokusatsu or special filming shows. They usually portray superheroes and monsters by men wearing rubber suits. Pacific Rim takes Tokusatsu to an entirely new level. As I mentioned earlier, I thought this would be just another Transformers knock off. But I was schooled. Pacific Rim did indeed do what the Transformers movies set out to do (create a dazzling robot movie) but it also gave us some classic hero elements as well.

SCOTT: That s true, and how refreshing it is to see a summer popcorn blockbuster give us meatier fare than usual. Pacific Rim is much more than a mindless visual orgy. There is a fascinating psychological element to the film involving the psychic connection between Jaeger pilots that is necessary for those pilots to defeat the Kaijus. This reminded me of Star Trek s Vulcan mind-meld involving Spock establishing a connection to another person s mind it is emotionally (and even physically) dangerous but the two minds become one, allowing for shared information and physical coordination. It s very cool how this tool in Pacific Rim assists in the defeat of the villains in not one but two different ways.

GREG: Pacific Rim, for better or for worse, borrows heavily from other classic movies. The rivalry between Becket and veteran Jaeger pilot Chuck Hansen (Robert Kazinsky) is very reminiscent of scenes from 1986 s Top Gun. And I ve already mentioned how much the story matches just about any Godzilla film. This in not necessarily a bad thing. Becket is the classic hero character. Mako plays a strong heroine role (although there is an embarrassing scene where Becket defends her honor. She s a kick-ass warrior. She could have defended her own honor.) Kazinsky s Hansen is cut from the same mold as Ice Man - a by the book fighter pilot. Pentecost is the leader-mentor. They all work well in this film which is the real gift of Pacific Rim. There is a real story behind all the special effects.

SCOTT: As anyone who knows me will tell you, I m quite a nerd and a proud one at that, and so I was thrilled to see that the heroes who save the day behind the scenes are the two scientists, played by Charlie Day and Burn Gorman. The performances of Day and Gorman were simply brilliant, especially that of Day, who blends genius with comic relief. His role is reminiscent of Rick Moranis in Honey I Shrunk the Kids, only he has more depth and more interesting quirkiness than Moranis. And like you, Greg, I am impressed that the hero story here features a slew of supporting characters who augment the hero s journey -- the mentor, father figure, love-interest, best friend, bitter rival, and other assorted helpers. These characters add a richness and depth to a film that decided it wanted to be much more than a lightweight visual feast.

GREG: I really enjoyed seeing the old Tokusatsu shows get a royal treatment in Pacific Rim. I wasn t expecting much but I got a lot for my $10 ticket. For a great story told with amazing special effects I give Pacific Rim 4 out of 5 Reels. And for decent storytelling and hero-building (but still a bit shallow for my tastes) I award 3 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Pacific Rim is a film that won me over with its eye-popping visuals, memorable characters, and appealing story that maintained my interest from start to finish. It ranks with Star Trek Into Darkness and Iron Man 3 as the best summer blockbuster this year. I also award it 4 Reels out of 5. And as much as it pains me to say this, I agree with you that the hero story was solid but a tad thin, and for that I give the film 3 Heroes out of 5, too. Movie: Hero:
½ August 16, 2017
I wanted to like this movie sooo bad..I mean Idris..and Charlie oooo Charlie??..but I didn't like it that much. I can't believe this movie got higher ratings than transformers! I haven't seen the current Transformers and yes the last wasn't great but the two with shea..were great to me.
The idea of robots transformers in to vehicles soo cool..this movie on the other hand was soo predictable. It really didn't make much sense..aliens came crime the ocean through a breach, looking like dinosaurs or Godzilla...the girl.. her acting was so stiff I cldnt stand watching her.
There was no point at least not to me, of even having Ron Perlman in the movie wth was that?
No thanks
½ August 15, 2017
Pacific rim pleases my childhood in almost every day.
Giant robots, check.
Giant monsters, check.
Giant sword, check
The action is awesome, its not like transformers where you can't understand whats happening, here the action is slow and you can understand the scale of the battles.
Charlie Day's character is awesome in this, even tho I feel some of the other actors could have done a better job.
Pacific Rim it's awesome, waiting anxiously for the sequel.
August 5, 2017
Very nice movie. It is like transformer against Godzilla
July 17, 2017
Pacific Rim is surprisingly very good and entertaining in its first half, but so incredibly boring in its second half which was filled with action scene after action scene and that bored me to death. But the characters are surprisingly solid here and are well played by their actors with Idris Elba being one of the highlights and Charlie Day stealing the show with his signature humor. The movie is too dark, but its anime style with an abundant use of color blue was pleasing. It is a typical and shallow movie which was still surprisingly passable and not as bad as I thought it would be.
July 7, 2017
cool movie I love it
June 29, 2017
This is the FIRST of ALL his films i've watched were I didnt get BORED or had trouble stying interested, with the 1 eception of Hellboy.
I never used to like robotech type animation or anything like it, untill i saw this EPIC film!!!!! A+ 100%!!!!!!!!!!!