Pacific Rim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pacific Rim Reviews

April 29, 2017
The movie "Pacific Rim" was by most the movie the revived the Kaiju movie genre, right after cloverfield. Though the movie came out before Kong and Godzilla did in their respected movie verses. They both hold major differences while being inspired by the other. But lets delay get right into Pacific rim.
The best way to describe Pacific rim is not through its story, characters and dialogue but through its concept, style, and visual format storytelling. Pacific rim is practically a combined inspiration of everything giant monster based from Transformers, digimon, pokemon, voltron, ultraman, Power rangers, Gundam, Gamera and The king himself Godzilla. The movie feel like an old nostalgia trip back to childhood action shows with giant monsters or anime based feel and that's what movie feels like and why I really like it. The director Guillermo Del Toro is a big kaiju fa, and took inspiration from godzilla himself.
What holds the movie together is its cinematography and visual special effects. This is especially shown in the monster fight scenes, the fights are quick and over the top creative and fun such as scenes like the boat sword and elbow rocket along so much more. What makes it all work, is that it's paced and slow never too fast or throwing too much at you it's like if Michael Bay calmed down with the explosives to show a better story. Thus also contributes to the story like the fights they to are slow visually shown its like an good example of what an visual story is done, the format is clear and never to blurred or feels distracted it allows you to submerse yourself into that world.
What the Movie doesn't due to well however is its Character story writing and dialogue. Though the characters are fun, decent and have great moments like Pentecost and Mako, as well as Hannibal cho and Dr. newton. But other characters like Raleigh and Hansen are okay to like cliched action roles like Hansen is the bully and arrogant jerk, with lines that feel like they came from independence day or something. But then again it's still decent and better than Independence Day because it has a Narrative Story. just more visual than writing format. But that's what Pacific Rim is.
Though the movie took inspiration from Japanese Godzilla and some what of Kong's films, but there are some major difference by terms of concept. Godzilla is a natural disaster/tragedy based film with a monster in it, while kong is a pure monster movie has a sense of mystery and dread, mixed with great spielbergian characters and storytelling/writing that mix up the thought driven message that ends with tragedy. Pacific rim is an anime action based film like Transformers, Ultraman, Voltron, and with more visual based storytelling, than story writing/dialogue. But that makes it good because of charm and nostalgia, mainly due it being reminiscent of old childhood shows whether anime or western action based. While mixed with an clear, slow and well paced visual story format makes the world not only a realistic look and feel but also an identity that can easily be understood through the story better than Independence day itself.
So yeah I'd like pacific rim alot, is better than Kong or Godzilla, No! While both movies are different in concept nd Kong and Godzilla did their storyline and writing better, including Character. Pacific Rim is about one one thing. Childhood Nostalgia and formating to more an adult stage of modern age to bring back a fan loved series and concept that is extremely creative and fun. It was Inspired by Godzilla but yet it isn't its own thing but charming and nostalgic at the same time. Thanks to the visuals, cinematography, special effects and Format makes the world all the more reason to make it interesting. so Pacific rim in the end is a fun childhood nostalgia based film with good action, good example of visual storytelling and fun decent characters that balance out the movie just enough to make the Kaiju genre alive again.
April 28, 2017
I hope they are making a part 2 to this.
April 23, 2017
It might be a half hour too long, but this monster flick is worth the watch.
April 14, 2017
You have to take this movie for what it is... Robot (man operated, that is) vs monster. Didn't care for Charlie Hunnam's (Raleigh) acting nor did I care for Rinko Kikuchi (Mako). What I don't get is why Asian females always have the same look. Bangs straight across the forehead with either a bob or straight hair. We do have wavy, curly layered haircuts. Getting sidetracked here... Just watch the 2 giants battle it out and Idris Elba.
½ April 9, 2017
It's an entertaining, well-made, robot-versus-alien fighting movie. What it lacks in substance it makes up for in impressive visuals; also, Idris Elba is always a joy to watch.
½ April 9, 2017
Seriously? Dinosaurs vs. Robots, the movie? Turns out, that makes for one hell of a movie. Charlie Hunnam can't act to save his life, and this movie only furthers that point, but despite that, it was an amazing, action packed adventure.
½ April 6, 2017
It looks great but lacks everything else...like good acting.
½ April 5, 2017
I loved the originality of this film! It had an effective storyline, constant suspense & some rough action going on in there. It was beautifully directed by Guillermo del Toro, the visual effects were amazing & it was well written by Patrick Melton.
"Pacific Rim" was a fantastic movie overall, and it was indeed a very exciting & worthwhile experience watching it.
½ April 2, 2017
Very well directed sci-fi film with great visual effects.
Quite surprising, this movie held my interest despite the genre not being my favorite category.
The only thing missing in American films is the fact that heroes always survive, unlike foreign films.
I guess the American viewer prefers it that way so the Box Office accommodates.
½ March 28, 2017
A fun movie with great action and unlike anything else out there of this quality and production value. The movie drops you into a unique world for anyone who hasn't watched some anime giving the entire experience a fresh feeling. Obviously, the movie is going to expect you to allow it to take a few thing for granted but if you allow it to take you for the ride it's a fantastic experience Critics would cite poor acting, lack of character development, and any number of other flaws and certainly they exists but that's the problem IMO. This movie isn't supposed to be psychological thriller or a dramatic profile of would at war and the people in it. It's a movie about an alternate earth that's being attacked by gigantic creatures from another world fighting battle mechs. The point being, if you take the movie for the unique and visually stunning ride that it is the shortcomings are irrelevant. You don't judge a fish on its ability to fly any more than you can judge this movie on its lack of depth or preconceived need for an aspect of film to be considered "good".
March 28, 2017
A high octane thrill ride, fantastic and realistically done action. The monsters and the robots all really felt like they had weight to their movement and punches. It was pretty enjoyable but they could have gotten a better actor as the lead, he was the only thing dragging the film down.
March 28, 2017
Though the story is wonderful, and the CGI rocks. Pacific Rim lacks the acting it needs. But most of all, during the battle sequences, it is very hard to see what is going on.
½ March 27, 2017
Thin on character development, plot, three-dimensional characters, and good acting but surely delivers on special effects, action, and most of all, sheer spectacle.
March 25, 2017
This is a movie you see in the theater. No, it's not going to win any kind of awards, but the entertainment value is there. Can't wait for the sequel. However, I do wish that Mako's name was something like Ayane. I can't stand hearing her boyfriend in the movie saying her name over and over again.
March 10, 2017
This movie is amazing. Great character development and astonishing visual affects.
½ February 24, 2017
I was expecting it to be more like Real Steel. I love robot movies, but this one just wasn't for me.
February 22, 2017
Don't expect a masterpiece or carefully put together character study, but as a fun pop-corn movie with suspense, action, and a few laughs, the movie delivers on its promises.
½ February 20, 2017
Does what it says on the box.
February 20, 2017
This is why I don't watch any movies that show a "Based on a true story" message at the start; no movie is as much fun as a big dumb movie, and what's bigger and dumber than a giant robot beating a giant lizard with a cargo ship in down town Hong Kong.
February 18, 2017
This is mostly a sour grapes review because somehow this movie got good reviews and Battleship did not.

I saw Pacific Rim a couple of years ago and I don't have much to stay about it because I don't remember. There was just nothing memorable about it. It was a two-hour-long cliche with wooden acting, uninspired writing, and plot holes you could drive a truck through.

If you're thinking about renting this movie, whack yourself in the forehead with a board for being foolish, then rent Battleship instead. You won't regret.