The Paper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Paper Reviews

March 15, 2017
Most of the criticism about The Paper is understandable, but I'm just super into everything about this film -- Michael Keaton, journalism, rapid-fire dialogue, racial tensions, screwball tendencies, vintage David Koepp... I mean even Spalding fucking Gray. Sold!
½ November 1, 2016
Great ensemble cast and non stop laughs. Michael Keaton anchors this world of second-rate newspapermen who wants to tackle the big story of the day, and a very crazy day it is for all involved.
December 31, 2015
Hectic but alrightee. Glenn Close was just awesome.
December 15, 2015
Fast paced and often comical. 'The Paper' works due to a great lead role of Michael Keaton and excellent supporting cast.
½ November 14, 2015
A great cast. A vivid and realistic portrayal of the media industry.
jjnxn
½ July 12, 2015
With this cast this should have been better.
June 13, 2015
Far from Ron Howard's best (which for me will always be Parenthood), but a good, interesting movie never-the-less, although a rather idealized view of newspaper reporter's ethics. Great cast does well and then there's Clint Howard, who would never work except for his brother's films.
June 5, 2015
Great depiction of a day at a newsroom. Superb performances by Keaton, Tomei and Close.
May 25, 2015
I'm the baby at the end born from Marisa Tomei.
March 15, 2015
A frenetic, high energy, riot for Keaton and the cast which is very funny and a good time at the movies
½ January 24, 2015
One of my favorite movies
November 20, 2014
The cast is great and Howard's direction is not overly sentimental about stuff he would normally glop syrup over but the script is mediocre, at best. It's still far better than you would expect and that's not saying nothing.
October 15, 2014
"The Paper" takes place in a time not so long ago before the Internet and 24 hour news channels were the norm in breaking news stories, and newspapers were still king. It's a fast-paced, funny and exciting mix of equal parts comedy and drama, and both fit together comfortably in this well-balanced film.

Ron Howard has turned into one of the most reliable directors working today, and I think the thing that I find the most refreshing about his career is that he rarely makes the same film twice. He's comfortable working in almost any genre, and this is yet another winner for him. It gives the uninitiated an unbeatable glimpse into the world of newspapers, even though I'm sure this is greatly exaggerated to up the entertainment value for the viewer.

The central story hooks you, and this wonderful ensemble cast sells it. The lead role is a perfect fit for Michael Keaton's unique brand of manic energy, and it's always a pleasure to see Robert Duvall work in almost anything. Screenwriters David and Stephen Koepp do a nice job of balancing all the different subplots to give us an idea of the stress faced by newspaper editors, but things get a little lost in the shuffle towards the end.

With the medical crisis and the unnecessary showdown between Randy Quaid and Jason Alexander, the film loses its focus. Thankfully, it happens so late in the film that it really doesn't affect it much. "The Paper" remains s small but pleasurable gem, an overlooked film that deserves a wider audience.
July 20, 2014
Well written with engaging characters but the central conflict of the story just isn't interesting enough to keep the audience engaged, and labeling it a comedy is being generous
½ July 13, 2014
It's a sweaty day at the office, as a newspaper editor (Keaton) frantically tries to get through the day while juggling a pregnant wife, a job interview, and a breaking story. The ensemble cast is entertaining to watch, even when the Koepp brothers' script is overwrought to the point of becoming exhausting. Still, it remains gripping stuff with some surprisingly dramatic moments amid the newsroom shenanigans, skillfully enhanced by Randy Newman's score.
May 31, 2014
Perhaps Ron Howard's most overlooked film with great energy. Wonderful performances (even from Clint!), a witty sharp script and engaging direction. "God forbid this newspaper runs a headline without an exclamation mark!"
½ December 26, 2013
One of the best Ron Howard films.
December 26, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.