Paradise Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paradise Now Reviews

October 11, 2016
A very good drama/thriller from Palestine that won the Golden Globe in 2005. An engaging story with superb acting by the leads. The middle east conflict through the eyes of the Palestinians.
August 8, 2016
A powerful and grim portrayal of life in Gaza. Stunning cinematography and great tension throughout.
Robert B.
October 5, 2015
Watching Paradise Now, one definitely gets a sense of stuckness and frustration the Palestinians feel without condoning violence; the film engenders compassion but not sympathy. Note that this balance is achieved without portrayal of the Israeli side. While not a great film, Paradise Now is performed well and helps the average viewer understand a bit better why that area of the world wrestles with such difficult problems.
July 19, 2015
something everyone who has a clue should see. It shows the average Palestinian day-to-day, just like the rest of us, who is then called on by God for a suicide mission. No music, just dialogue - the way I like it.
½ June 13, 2015
A vivid portrayal of the lives of disillusioned Jihadists, from the Palestinian angle.
½ May 20, 2015
Whether you agree with the political narrative presented or not, the movie is captivating and offers food for thought from a little-known perspective.
½ March 18, 2015
Me gustó mucho! muestra crudamente la realidad de un pueblo oprimido por años que lucha por la dignidad.
September 12, 2014
9/12/14 Vudu

A really well done movie that shows the despair and frustration than can lead to suicide bombers. As the story unfolds you hope the guys change their minds and the ending leaves you to wonder. This does not glorify or justify suicide bombers but it does put a human face on it and you see that families, friends and others can make choices hard.
½ September 7, 2014
What would you do if your country was being crushed by 70 years of increasingly brutal occupation?
September 1, 2014
Brilliantly Written, Brisk Paced, absolute stunner. The other side of Terrorism told like never before.
August 5, 2014
The attempt in displaying what it passes for the head of a Palestinian terrorist, without transforms it into a monster and fanatic it is more than what praiseworthy, after all, although the apparent abnormality, the men bombs, that are sacrificed in attempted against, do not pass of common people, that until carrying out scenes that they shock the world, incognitos pass, living normally.

"Paradise Now", film of the director Hany Abu-Assad, follows this concept and tries to demystify the Palestinian terrorism, following the trajectory of two young, the few hours of will become man-bomb.

Its intention is clear and direct: a boarding human being, of an extremely delicate subject. For this, it mere looks for to follow with its camera the dialogs, questionings and (little) the action properly said, keeping the politics, good far from its focus.

The good intention, that functions at the beginning, goes becoming tiring when uncurling of the film. For that does not have that to take left, or same to show the consequences of an act of absolute violence, the director opts to locking up its work before the hour and is contented in showing only part of a history that could be much more interesting if boarded of complete form.

Successful in demonstrating as extreme attitudes they can blossom inside of an environment contaminated, and efficient in humanizer its two protagonists, through the benefit of the doubt, "Paradise Now" lose the force of this initial honesty, when she deprives to observe until the end the way trod for these two personages, constructed so well.
½ August 4, 2014
somewhat good, but still confused at some parts.
½ March 31, 2014
What a beautiful movie. The best foreign language movie I've seen since "Life is Beautiful". This is highly controversial but incredibly effective in its efforts to discuss the issues between Israel and Palestine. It also gives us an insight on suicide bombing in such a unique perspective, which nobody would have ever given the time of day after 9/11. Everything is almost perfect.
January 30, 2014
Palestine. Powerful film. moments of both despair and hope.
December 7, 2013
In the end it was a bit underwhelming for me but certainly an insightful film.
October 27, 2013
injustice, humiliated, revenge, despair, struggle within on palestinian perspective. very good movie!
October 13, 2013
No wonder why this movie won the Golden globe award for best foreign film..this movie tells the story of the Palestinian in the best way it could.
½ October 11, 2013
This film showed me that suicide bombers can come from any background. It was thought provoking in showing us the Palestinian perspective, but it showed it in a way that did not seem to have an agenda to persuade me for or against either side. Although it had its moments explaining the rationale behind their actions, I did not feel that was there to persuade me and was only there as part of the story. I was frustrated with the leaders who persuaded these people to commit the acts they did, often their logic was indoctrination of the people and this irked me. Great acting, writing, a little simplistic in the direction, but this was also an effective aspect of the film.
October 10, 2013
-Y luego? (de la explosion)
-Te recogeran dos angeles.
-Estas seguro?
-Por supuesto.
½ September 23, 2013
A bit slow and illogical, but interesting