The Parallax View - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Parallax View Reviews

July 9, 2016
Good political thriller that suggests that the US is really run by the far-right business establishment & presumably the CIA to keep the status quo. That is the way the US is actually run since the 1960's. Beatty is really a metaphor for the public's distrust of the government & their distrust of "official" conclusions on supposed lone nuts killing politicians. Almost all politicians since antiquity that are assassinated are killed in conspiracies that involve financial reasons or control reasons. The far-right runs this country, because Big Business is in control. 1 thing I never liked about this film was the fact that the reasons for the assassination of these "Independent" male politicians was never explained in enough detail. I think the film can be interpreted to say who actually killed JFK although their motives are murky in the film. I can appreciate the film as a political conspiracy classic, due to the fact that I published 2 political conspiracy novels: "The Shadow Faction" & "The Financial Parallax". The film is a classic for Beatty & the genre.
½ June 13, 2016
A woman who witnessed a political assassination years earlier, reaches out to a journalist when she discovers all other witnesses of the assassination have been killed. This taunt political thriller starring Warren Beatty, is remarkable and in many ways has been forgotten over the years.
June 3, 2016
Nixon era conspiracy theory political paranoia that keeps you interested.
½ April 9, 2016
If you can stay awake, the ending is quite good.
½ February 29, 2016
A pretty good political thriller, though it doesn't quite hold up incredibly well
April 25, 2015
the payoff is far less satisfying than it should be
April 25, 2015
Hume Cronyn -- he was old then.
March 2, 2015
The film creates an engrossing atmosphere powered by unique visuals & top notch story telling & performances.
½ February 16, 2015
A visually lush picture with an intense slow burn story that grows organically, so if you buy into it initially, you will be rewarded by this solidly crafted film.
The suspense is in finding out how exposing a corrupt, murderous organization can be a tricky fat cats vs. mouse game of getting the truth out, but who can you trust? Oddly, you are captured more by the story than by Warren Beatty, but he's solid here.
Great paranoid thriller.
The image of a car crashing into a grocery store and landing on shopping carts was the point that this Hollywood picture crashed into my ordinary world as a kid, and began to feed my need for celluloid adventures.
The thrill still holds up today, if you allow for the 70s fashions and hair.
Best on the big screen, and loses some of its grandeur on smaller screens, but still a solid pic.

4.5 out of 5
January 25, 2015
Superb paranoid thriller from an era when Hollywood really churned them out, with visually striking cinematography from Gordon Willis and an intriguing conspiracy plot.
December 1, 2014
Very much a 70's movie with the typical ending that so many of the movies of that era had. Alright overall, but not one I would watch again.
October 29, 2014
Everyone should see this movie in late October every year to remind yourself just WTF could really happen in this country before you vote.
October 4, 2014
Kept me interested but the ending left me wanting to throw something at the television. Waste of time.
September 16, 2014
This Paramount motion picture has a very deep meaning: How very difficult it is to subvert the American political system from within.
August 16, 2014
A vitória de "The Parallax View" assenta sobretudo numa convicção que ajudou a engrandecer outros tantos filmes: os Estados Unidos da América, apesar de todos os seus males e de um sistema político corrompido, não deixam de ser um espantoso palco para uma conspiração. É esse o fundamento que torna espectacular cada um dos minutos de "North By Northwest" e é por aí que "The Parallax View" conquista o seu lugar entre os mais marcantes thrillers políticos de uma década (a de setenta) que os teve em larga quantidade (na ressaca do atentado de John F. Kennedy). Mas, onde "North By Northwest" utiliza alguns dos mais emblemáticos cenários norte-americanos (Rushmore) a favor do entretenimento (ou não fosse Hitchcock o seu realizador), "The Parallax View" foca a mesma América, com uma perspectiva majestosa semelhante, no sentido de mostrar a dimensão do que se perdeu (ou estaria a ser perdido) com tantas divergências políticas e um país interessado em aniquilar o outro. Com tudo isto garantido, é mais fácil perdoar uma série de deslizes a "The Parallax View": nomeadamente a explosão de um avião fora de cena, com recurso a um ridículo tremor da imagem (quase Ed Wood), e erros de continuidade como o mágico desaparecimento da lama no rosto de Warren Beatty a certa altura. Nada disso contudo afecta um filme que até inclui uma cena de lavagem cerebral, como já não víamos desde "A Laranja Mecânica".
½ August 13, 2014
In this political thriller Warren Beatty is a reporter trying to uncover the truth behind the assassination of a senator. It is an intricate plot that he unwittingly wanders into, possibly putting his own life on the line. First of all, I was a little mixed on Warren Beatty's performance. His humongous head of hair kind of made him stick out more than you'd want from someone going undercover, but I was happy to notice a slight tone shift in his performance when he was pretending to be a different character. It wasn't exactly the most emotive performance, but it was certainly strong which gave you some confidence that he could take care of himself. I think what I found lacking, however, was a decent back story for his character (Joseph Frady.) The only insight into his past is that he had a drinking problem, we are never given any indication that he is going to be one of the toughest guys in a bar fight or able to feign psychotic tendencies. Since I can never get enough of Hume Cronyn's acting, I wish he had a few more scenes together with Warren Beatty where they spelled out more of Joseph Frady's history.

What The Parallax View was amazing at doing was creating tension. Through musical cues and the shadowy look of many scenes, they kept me on the edge of my seat for most of the film. I was concerned for the protagonist throughout the film and jumped at least once in surprise. In fact very little of the movie was predictable. The plot was complex enough that it kept me guessing, but also was explained very succinctly without large chunks of exposition, which was nice. The visual construction of this movie was perfect. They did an excellent job of using darkness to create an uncomfortable atmosphere, and also to highlight certain things that are under a spotlight in that dark. There is a lot to like in this film, and for a long time I was thinking it might be a winner for me. My biggest complaint is the ending, and I'm going to try not spoiling it, but it didn't work for me. While I saw how it fit in the context of the story they were presenting, it was totally unsatisfying for me. It didn't deliver what I wanted and left me with more questions than answers. I'd still recommend The Parallax View for that intense atmosphere and amazing cinematography, it is a very solid film even if it didn't totally meet my expectations.
July 15, 2014
Always technically brilliant and oftentimes thrilling, ace paranoid thriller The Parallex View isn't the best '70s conspiracy tale but its slick presentation ranks it near the top of the genre nonetheless. In a day and age when the U.S. outsources some of it's intelligence operations, a story about a corporation that recruits, trains, and "uses" political assassins doesn't sound too off base. In fact, this View seems almost prescient. If only more of Parallex dated as well. In a post-9/11 world, it's hard to buy the main character, over-his-head reporter Joseph Frady, boarding a plane from the Tarmac at the last minute and - like the 20th Century Limited - paying once they've taken flight. Also, the then landmark hypnotic film-within-a-film orientation sequence lasts too long for modern Still, the concept and thrills hold up even when some of the twist and fisticuffs come across ham fisted. Thanks to a screen icon at the top of his game and a director just hitting his stride, however, the View is always magnificent.

In this R-rated conspiracy thriller, an ambitious reporter (Warren Beatty) uncovers a vast conspiracy involving a multinational corporation behind every event in the worlds headlines while investigating a senator's assassination.

Stuck between Klute and All the President's Men in director Alan J. Pakula's 'Paranoia Trilogy,' The Parallex View didn't fare as well come awards time (Jane Fonda bagged an Oscar for her performance in the former and he himself won Best Director for the latter) but the film is every bit as stylish. Framing modern marvels (Seattle's Space Needle! Pong!) and backwater dives with the same eye, Pakula presents a sprawling puzzler that never feels too far reaching for its hyper realistic, cynical post-Watergate grasp. Long takes allow the ambitious script some room to breathe. In hiring cinematographer Gordon Willis, however, he spun a golden straw man story into cinematic gold...almost, at least. The lived-in newspaper offices, wood paneled taverns, and spare motel rooms all get bathed in low light by a shadowy canopy that brilliantly heightens the worrisome tension. And then, there's Warren Beatty. At this point in his career, he has already proven himself time (Splendor in the Grass) and time (Bonnie and Clyde) and time again (McCabe and Mrs. Miller), he had already proven himself a top shelf actor with a gift for making anti-heroes sympathetic, but here, he hit a new low. Playing a recovering alcoholic reporter who wings his investigative application, this superstar daringly makes for an awesome political pawn.

3 Yays of the Condor
June 2, 2014
I love this movie. Growing up in the era I did with political assassinations, conspiracy theories rampant and distrust of the government, it plays into my generations socially mandated paranoia. Beatty is suitably distrustful of any authority, even his editor wonderfully played by Hume Cronyn. Anthony Zerbe appears unbilled.
½ May 30, 2014