Party Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Party Monster Reviews

½ March 7, 2017
The worst film I have ever seen.
December 22, 2016
So cheesy! The acting was offensive; both because it was bad, and because of certain straight guys stereotyping gay people. i feel like Seth Green heard he was playing a gay character and just put together the first flamoyant, ignorant and gay characteristics that came to his head without even studying who he was portraying. If he did study his character before, then thats even sadder! what are you portraying... a glittery nymph elf frolicking in the forrest? Because thats what you sound and look like. And what is with those accents? Neither James St. James nor Michael Alig talk like that. just because they're gay they have weird English/posh accents? He's from Indiana!

I wonder if he knew that when they told him he was portraying someone gay, they meant the homosexual kind of gay... NOT the derogatory "gay" term used to describe annoying POS douchebags and things people don't like.

Watch the "shockumentary" instead. At least it's genuine and interesting. Or if you have to watch this, dont go into it thinking about how its based on a true story. You'll be disappointed. Think of it on the same level of amusement and as realistic as peewee's playhouse.
June 20, 2015
Such a sad story. The acting was hit and miss. I feel there was so much potential to this film that didn't quite make it.
May 22, 2015
I strongly disagree with critics' take on this film. It is a rightfully dark and twisted film featuring some exceptional performances. Interestingly, Marilyn Manson who is very funny. And, maybe, that is why this film upsets people. At it's core it is a satirical look at a very tragic true story. Being a good movie does not require it to be "tasteful" -- the tragedy and crime are made all the more horrid by the way the actual people are played in the film.
½ April 1, 2015
I found this trashy movie incredibly entertaining. Look I know its bad and the characters are more like caricatures, but it was like a trashy soap opera you have to keep watching. You knew it wasn't going to end well once Culkin starts using. Seth Green-wow he was so convincingly gay/out of character. I found Culkin incredibly charismatic to watch. Didn't realize Manson was in movie til I read it! The two main gay guys are a duo of deplorable villains and epitomize negative stereotypes of gays (i.e. superficial, catty, attention-whores, shallow etc...) I didn't care much for the directing style, which kept changing style and tone throughout. The directing style was almost as obnoxious, confusing, and erratic as the characters. The characters were so over the top flamboyant and stuck up at parts it was annoying/unbelievable. I guess why I liked this movie despite this is b/c I remember being fascinated by these characters when I was little and now to find out about them (the drugs, clubbing, outfits, deviancy, carefree attitudes, parties) and the dark side to it as well makes it very interesting subject. The true story is probably crazier than this movie, for instance the cops not caring much about the murder b/c they wanted to nail the club owner on a drug conviction is so inhumane. I'm interested in seeing the shockumentary now.
½ February 6, 2015
I feel that Macaulay Culkin is miscast, requiring too much suspension of disbelief. Rather like the drug-caning "party animals" it features, the whole thing increasingly descends into an unstructured mess.
January 30, 2015
Foolproof with accuracy? Im not sure. Is Macaulay Culkin still a great actor? Indeed. This movie made me feel a wide range of emotion because Macaulay was convincing as Michael Alig(former real-life leader of the party kids) and Seth Green was fabulously convincing as a James St. James (author of the book which this movie is based on). Starts on a high road and ends on a low. The party does not last forever and excess increases the speed to tragedy and the bottom of the barrel. Highly recommended for anyone fabulous as it is a guide on what to do and what not to do when you are put in the real world. Be safe and be yourself. But present and please don't neglect anyone.
January 2, 2015
What an insult to the viewers and the gay population in general.
½ November 16, 2014
About as campy as campy can be, topped with glitter, hard drugs, and violence. You love it or you hate it.
August 11, 2014
This is an awesome movie...you must see it

...
½ June 18, 2014
Too much color to narrate a murder.
½ May 24, 2014
This may be one if the worst movies ever seen. Almost every technical aspect is deeply flawed. The acting is confusingly bad. This was more like a home movie than cinematic storytelling. I am shocked that the actors agreed to this.
May 19, 2014
I thought I would watch this in honor of the Party Monster's recent release from prison, but I am 10 minutes in and I can assure you this is one of the worst movies I've ever watched. The acting is extremely terrible - MacCaully Culkin just should have quit acting after Home Alone. They could have went in so many directions for the film but they chose the worst possible direction.
½ March 26, 2014
much better than the doc of the same name
March 22, 2014
A very interesting story very amateurishly made. The acting seems to get better between the 2 leads as the movie moves along, or maybe you just get used to it, but it starts off below average. Lots of crazy outfits and experimental drugs, its amazing how the rave scene never changes.
January 26, 2014
I found this movie after watching the shockumentary. I find the acting absolutely awful, but the characters the actors were portraying arent exactly a walk in the park to play. I thought the storyline was okay. My favorite part about this movie is how close it is to what actually occurred.
½ January 4, 2014
The gross out moments and breaking the fourth wall moments don't do it for me. The daring performances do do it for me though!
January 4, 2014
Like a car wreck, it's hard to stop watching this freakish movie. Macaulay Culkin - like you've never seen him before. Great music! Seth Green is hilarious too. Great costumes! It shows the damage which drugs can do to the lives of the party-kids who use them. It's a fun but wasted lifestyle. Stupidity has its consequences. There was much frivolous gaeity, but no acts of homosexuality are shown. Great stuff for a low-budget film! A classic on my list.

Favorite Scene: When the Rat explains to Seth Green what really happened; accompanied by pounding techno music.
January 2, 2014
I've seen this film a few times cuz my bro is obsessed with it! why on earth this film interests him so much? Maybe the soundtrack? The events? The monstrous parties? It's a little film about Michael Alig & John Saint James two high profile party organizer from the late 80's to the mid 90's when their drug fueled and out of control parties came to an end after Alig killed his dealer. The film isn't bad, it's an ok film but filled with queens from another era, some ridiculous outfits and two actors on top of their games i must agree. Still the characters are so Queeny & Campy they are awfully annoying to bear.... but if you like that kind of stuff i'm sure you'll dig the picture.
December 8, 2013
this movie is surprisingly pretty good, i'd like to see more movies with adult Culkin