A Passage to India - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Passage to India Reviews

October 17, 2016
A portrait of English-Indian race relations that's a bit too long and often loses its focus, but "A Passage to India" is a fine swan song for the great David Lean.
September 4, 2016
David Lean's sprawling epics are some of my favourites, and this one is his last film. I thought there was too much politics, but the acting was good. That's all I can think of, its a decent film if you're into that.
½ July 15, 2016
A Passage to India is an incredible film. It is about cultural mistrust and false accusations doom a friendship in British colonial India. Judy Davis and Alec Guinness give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. David Lean did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and history.
½ March 12, 2016
Beautifully photographed.
March 4, 2016
A girl's burgeoning sexuality in a foreign land drives her to question her love for her betrothed & falsely accuse an Indian doctor of attempted rape, triggering anti-colonialist sentiment in 1920s British India.
½ January 12, 2016
Indian Doctor is put on trial for allegedly attempting to rape a British woman during the colonial period. David Lean's final epic is worthwhile for it's grand (and seldom seen) filmmaking moreso than the story.
½ December 22, 2015
A very strange, British but compelling movie, in which most of the main characters are difficult to like. The final 40 minutes is excellent, but even in wrapping up the movie leaves an enormous amount up in the air and had a peculiar final scene.
½ June 21, 2015
"A Passage to India" is a tense , gripping and an experience that occasionally taps into the legends and the mystery of the multivariate culture of India from an outsider point of view. The picture is as much of a reflective tale as it is a sociopolitical allegory. The Malabar Caves provide a perfect setting for giving that feel from an introspective character that is adela. The audience learns as much as the maestro David Lean wants to tell them and although he doesn't use that enough , he delivered some of it . One of the two beautiful moments that I particularly enjoyed was the sequence in where Adela , the protagonist who has a lot going on in her head about an adventurous love , finds the ruins of an ancient Kamasutra temple giving her a harsh start and a new perspective of her mind . The sequence is masterfully blocked and played out providing layers after layers of not only servicing a reflective purpose of curiosity , adventure ,life and all the internal themes but also taps into the history of monolith depiction in a harsh yet beautiful way. The second sequence that was enticing was just one shot of Alec Guiness as Prof. Godbole taking his glasses of telling both the audience and the character Mrs. Moore that again serves layered purposes of reflection and social. There are often lots of these short moments that one has to look quite hard to notice. The performances are pretty good specially from Victor Banerjee as the other main protagonist that gives the more political version of the Quit India movement that is beginning to happen and the juxtaposition of the cultures. David Lean as always looks for the perfect shots but fails to communicate enough of the spirit of the book through them . The film has a nice pacing but lacks consistency in terms of quality of the sequences . Overall the picture is good , solid and one that many would like to see quite often but not enough to put this movie as a great movie by any means . Ultimately the movie fails to serve the beautiful premise it sets up.
½ May 14, 2015
I'm a big fan of David Lean, and this film was the last of his major works that I had never seen. I read Forster's novel before viewing this, and I wasn't at all a fan of it. Lean's film adaptation has all of his grand brilliance intact. The cinematography is exquisite and the casting was perfect for the characters. Lean did the most perfect adaptation of the novel possible, and that is commendable. Unfortunately, since I didn't really like the novel, the film still doesn't do much for me. Fans of Lean or British cinema should certainly view this, or anyone interested in Anglo-Indian relations. Forster's plot is ludicrous and frustrating, but every other element of the film is satisfactory.
April 26, 2015
The screenplay just goes with the motions and feels rather mechanical, but A Passage to India captivates audiences with the beautiful cinematography, excellent cast and whimsical score.
April 14, 2015
Examining the complexity of a distant culture.
April 13, 2015
Really wanted to be more than it really turned out to be.
March 18, 2015
Found at the library. I hadn't seen it in years. A real old-fashioned, epic "period" piece. I only gave it 3 stars because it constantly bothered me seeing Alec Guiness masquerading at the Indian holy man. I know it was typical then, but so NOT politically correct! Why couldn't they find an actual Indian for that role?? The acting and locations are superb!
½ March 16, 2015
Interesting story with wonderful cinematography.

Set in India in the 1920s, this is a story of cultural intolerance, acceptance and reconciliation. Not the usual patronising films of the past set in India. Much more balanced, and, if anything, the English come out looking like the bad guys.

Stunning scenery and great cinematography.

Plot builds slowly. Once the key scene occurs the movie is set up for a great tale of justice, or injustice. However, despite the potential, these themes are just touched on and are concluded rather tamely. Ending feels a bit muddled and anti-climactic.

So, good, but could have been a lot better, especially since the story takes so long to be told.
February 5, 2015
Epic film befitting of David Leans genre. British empire lords intruding into the lives of their Indian minions. Glorious acting by Judy Davis, Peggy Ashcroft, and James Fox. But most impressive was Alec Guinness's sublime acting as an Indian Professor. Reminded me of Siendeld's friend Apu.
October 17, 2014
Well written adapted screenplay and nice direction makes this movie unforgettable. Alec Guinness's performance as Godbole is one of the best performances ever given by a western actor in the role of an Indian.
½ September 22, 2014
A terrific colonialist drama fueled by David Lean's marvelous takes of Indian landscape. Alec Guinness is great in playing the peculiar, yet hilarious Hindu professor.
½ August 14, 2014
It takes way too much time to actually start, but when it does, A Passage to India becomes a surprisingly good and poignant film. It has beautiful imagery, phenomenal performances all around and a thrilling courtroom sequence. It is also moving, it explores its subject appropriately and the ending is excelent. It still has some of the problems long and overblown book adaptations tend to have, but regardless of that it is a charming, emotional and very strong film from David Lean which is one his best and a deserved Best Picture nominee.
½ July 31, 2014
The great photography and setting (speciality from David Lean) save this very confusing script with no many things to tell.
July 30, 2014
Slow and overrated but a fine cast does good work