Paterson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paterson Reviews

May 19, 2019
This is a sweet, quiet little movie that features a sensitive Adam Driver performance and beautiful meditation on the artistic process. I wasn't familiar with director Jim Jarmusch previous to my mother recommending this film to me and after seeing this I look forward to watching the rest of his oeuvre. Another part of the film that I wasn't familiar with previous to my watching it was the city of Paterson, New Jersey which was captured beautifully in this film as a regular, mid sized city with some unexpectedly gorgeous scenery. This isn't for those who enjoy plot or action in most senses of the word but if you enjoy quiet meditations on everyday life then this will satisfy your needs.

Bus driver Paterson, Adam Driver, lives in the city of Paterson, New Jersey with his flighty wife Laura, Golshifteh Farahani, whose career ambitions are ever changing. Paterson follows a similar routine each day as he gets up progressively later each morning, completes his shift as a bus driver, writes poetry during his break, takes his dog for a walk, gets a drink at the same bar and talks with his wife about her day. Minor shifts begin to occur leading to changes in Paterson's outlook on the world but throughout he remains committed to his wife, his friends and his poetry.

How pleasant in today's day and age in which arguing married couples regularly appear on screen to see two people in a committed relationship who genuinely love one another despite their difficulties. We see that Laura has trouble persevering with different career paths and that her interests are ever changing but when she requests a guitar it does not lead to a big, dramatic fight but a minor shift in the relationship. The first poem that Paterson writes describes his love for her in connection to the cigarettes that she enjoys smoking and the matches used to light them, this illustrates their connection better than any montage of them dating or love scene could. In the end she finds something that she loves, making muffins, and he is happy to see her be successful, the image of a supportive relationship.

The use of poetry throughout the film was inventive as we hear Driver's voice reading out poetry and see the lines of the poem appear over shots of him driving and his surroundings as he goes about his day. Poet Ron Padgett wrote most of the poetry that appears in the film and he did a great job because while poetry often annoys me with how precious and desperate to prove it's important it is these poems were actually good at conveying the wonders of the small aspects of our lives. The poems never begin as though they are grand or epic, he talks about beer or water in the river, but they end up in rather profound places. If any modern piece of cinema could motivate you to become a part time poet this film could.

Driver's performance is revelatory as he carries a film that's make or break depending on the quality of the lead performance. With just small gestures he manages to convey an interior struggle that feels true to a character who is not the most outwardly expressive person. In scenes that could seem rather suspect such as when Paterson talks to a very young girl about poetry and essentially attempts to befriend her, he is able to make his character seem well meaning instead of creepy. His romantic lead, Golshifteh Farahani is also great as she is a bit of a dream girl, beautiful and artistic, but she manages to add a vague sense of realism to her character that gives their relationship integrity.

I would have nominated this film for Best Picture over Lion (2016) and Fences (2016) because it's delicately crafted and well written. I like seeing films that actually show you why the artistically gifted character is talented in the form of presenting their art and this film manages to do it artistically. It was a relaxing, soothing experience and a nice break from the superhero films and Keanu Reeves vehicles currently being released. A pleasant film that makes the lives of normal people interesting.
½ May 15, 2019
Paterson!
A master at work
Creating poetry with pictures
Showing you people, talking words
Showing you scenes
Some simple and some seem not
At the end what lingers in you though
Is a deep heavy feel
The work of a master
Truly!
½ April 30, 2019
It is hard to put into words how brilliant this is.
April 29, 2019
quiet, low-key, meditative and deeply moving.
½ April 8, 2019
Exceptional and unique - a quiet film about a bus-driver poet that draws you in at every turn with some beautiful little vignettes, usually between two characters here and there in a reflective space.
½ February 5, 2019
This movie was the cinematic equivalent of watching your car get T-boned. Life goes a little slower, you want it to be over, and afterwards you are left thinking "wtf just happened." I find more artistic value in a fire extinguisher outside a museum. This movie was about as useful in a comedic, entertainment, and educational sense as a paperclip. You might get one use for it but you surely won't get anything else. I'm glad I saw this in school because if I got tricked into paying money for this I would sue Rotton Tomatoes for false advertisement. The fact it has 96% means there is a lot of post-menopausal soccer moms who rate things incorrectly because they're bored. Overall 4/10 movie.
½ October 6, 2018
Simple and insightful yet ironic, Jim Jarmusch paints a thoughtful satire that resonates with its deep sincerity and features delicate direction and a sensitive performance by Adam Driver in this atypical character study.
October 4, 2018
Among the superficial, dialogue-driven movies of today, Paterson stands out as a uniquely calm, understated gem. Jarmusch finds inspiration in the mundane, and as the movie and its bus-driver protagonist (played by Adam Driver) presses on, viewers feel like they, too, are part of his life. Driver's performance as Paterson is both minimalistic and remarkable; the simplicity with which Driver's Paterson goes about his daily routine is endearing in its relatability.
September 23, 2018
Delight in the little things
½ September 5, 2018
I've never left a movie review in my life but I was so gobsmacked by the 96% rating that I couldn't help myself. Everything about this movie is pretentious and overblown - and that's saying a lot for a movie in which literally nothing happens. The girl is little more than a cartoon character and her whimsy is nauseating. A cupcake store? Really?? The guy is blank and empty and writes trash poetry. I had to walk away after about 40 min. Surely there are better ways to 'observe the small things in life'. So on-the-nose. Truly.
August 30, 2018
Why haven't I seen this movie before? Magnificent, charming and stunning film. Adam Driver is my favorite actor at the moment
August 20, 2018
while i do realize that this film is quiet excellent (directing, cast, sound/music, ect) i gotta say that i couldn't help myself but feel a growing hatre for this couple. i know us americans don't know much abou how to treat a dog properly... still the way those (especially driver's character, paterson) NEGLECTED that dogs need really upset me. i sure wished people (dow owners) in the us would finally get some sense into their heads
½ August 19, 2018
This movie was torturous mostly because it is an hour and fourty minute montage of activities and things I hate, such as waking up in the morning, riding the bus, boring couples, awkward conversations, small talk, sighing, poetry and long silences.
August 18, 2018
Beautiful movie. A nice change of pace and perspective.
August 12, 2018
Overall, Paterson appears to be a pretty slow paced film with a basic plot leaving nothing for the audience to think about. But for me personally... I found Paterson to be one of the most realistic films I have seen in some time and found it very relatable. Not only that, the characters here are enjoyable and entertaining. I feel it's a film that not everyone will enjoy, but it's a major thumbs up from me.

- Finesse Movie Reviews
½ August 12, 2018
Enjoyable movie. But very odd characters. Weird performances. Rememberable.
July 9, 2018
An odd breath of fresh air. Best movie I've seen in a while. Suspense in every scene.
½ July 7, 2018
I watched this movie because of the good reviews it has. I sincerely did not see the point of the movie itself, I always finish what I start so I kept watching until the very end, and the movie failed to display anything else than the ordinary life of otdinary persons. The movie has no up or down, it is rather a flat, long, boring even-lasting line.
½ June 22, 2018
This is a sweet movie. The main attraction is the simplicity of it, of creating a life that is also art, of giving us a glimpse into what happiness is, for a simple hard working man. I would recommend it, it is very well done, but it is slow... so come prepared. Drink a coffee or order a large coke.
June 21, 2018
A captivating character study with depth.