Paterson Reviews

• Jul 02, 2019

Strangely enjoyable. Dare I say, poetic? In the beginning I felt as if I had made a big mistake and ventured into a land that was far too "artsy" for me, but as the movie played on -- I found the time going by rather fast as I was enjoying this slice of life. I think I like this movie more than I care to admit. Good concept, good execution.

• May 29, 2019

This movie takes you to New Jersey, and makes you a poetic bus driver in Paterson, NJ. Unlike your average Hollywood movie, Paterson is your real American because nothing is exaggerated or inflated. It just follows an ordinary life of a bus driver with an extraordinary habit of poetry where it spells its magic.

• May 19, 2019

This is a sweet, quiet little movie that features a sensitive Adam Driver performance and beautiful meditation on the artistic process. I wasn't familiar with director Jim Jarmusch previous to my mother recommending this film to me and after seeing this I look forward to watching the rest of his oeuvre. Another part of the film that I wasn't familiar with previous to my watching it was the city of Paterson, New Jersey which was captured beautifully in this film as a regular, mid sized city with some unexpectedly gorgeous scenery. This isn't for those who enjoy plot or action in most senses of the word but if you enjoy quiet meditations on everyday life then this will satisfy your needs. Bus driver Paterson, Adam Driver, lives in the city of Paterson, New Jersey with his flighty wife Laura, Golshifteh Farahani, whose career ambitions are ever changing. Paterson follows a similar routine each day as he gets up progressively later each morning, completes his shift as a bus driver, writes poetry during his break, takes his dog for a walk, gets a drink at the same bar and talks with his wife about her day. Minor shifts begin to occur leading to changes in Paterson's outlook on the world but throughout he remains committed to his wife, his friends and his poetry. How pleasant in today's day and age in which arguing married couples regularly appear on screen to see two people in a committed relationship who genuinely love one another despite their difficulties. We see that Laura has trouble persevering with different career paths and that her interests are ever changing but when she requests a guitar it does not lead to a big, dramatic fight but a minor shift in the relationship. The first poem that Paterson writes describes his love for her in connection to the cigarettes that she enjoys smoking and the matches used to light them, this illustrates their connection better than any montage of them dating or love scene could. In the end she finds something that she loves, making muffins, and he is happy to see her be successful, the image of a supportive relationship. The use of poetry throughout the film was inventive as we hear Driver's voice reading out poetry and see the lines of the poem appear over shots of him driving and his surroundings as he goes about his day. Poet Ron Padgett wrote most of the poetry that appears in the film and he did a great job because while poetry often annoys me with how precious and desperate to prove it's important it is these poems were actually good at conveying the wonders of the small aspects of our lives. The poems never begin as though they are grand or epic, he talks about beer or water in the river, but they end up in rather profound places. If any modern piece of cinema could motivate you to become a part time poet this film could. Driver's performance is revelatory as he carries a film that's make or break depending on the quality of the lead performance. With just small gestures he manages to convey an interior struggle that feels true to a character who is not the most outwardly expressive person. In scenes that could seem rather suspect such as when Paterson talks to a very young girl about poetry and essentially attempts to befriend her, he is able to make his character seem well meaning instead of creepy. His romantic lead, Golshifteh Farahani is also great as she is a bit of a dream girl, beautiful and artistic, but she manages to add a vague sense of realism to her character that gives their relationship integrity. I would have nominated this film for Best Picture over Lion (2016) and Fences (2016) because it's delicately crafted and well written. I like seeing films that actually show you why the artistically gifted character is talented in the form of presenting their art and this film manages to do it artistically. It was a relaxing, soothing experience and a nice break from the superhero films and Keanu Reeves vehicles currently being released. A pleasant film that makes the lives of normal people interesting.

• May 15, 2019

Paterson! A master at work Creating poetry with pictures Showing you people, talking words Showing you scenes Some simple and some seem not At the end what lingers in you though Is a deep heavy feel The work of a master Truly!

• Apr 30, 2019

It is hard to put into words how brilliant this is.

It is hard to put into words how brilliant this is.

• Apr 29, 2019

quiet, low-key, meditative and deeply moving.

quiet, low-key, meditative and deeply moving.

• Feb 05, 2019

This movie was the cinematic equivalent of watching your car get T-boned. Life goes a little slower, you want it to be over, and afterwards you are left thinking "wtf just happened." I find more artistic value in a fire extinguisher outside a museum. This movie was about as useful in a comedic, entertainment, and educational sense as a paperclip. You might get one use for it but you surely won't get anything else. I'm glad I saw this in school because if I got tricked into paying money for this I would sue Rotton Tomatoes for false advertisement. The fact it has 96% means there is a lot of post-menopausal soccer moms who rate things incorrectly because they're bored. Overall 4/10 movie.

• Jan 09, 2019

Yes! Yes.. and I must say YES!!! what a bloody darn bit of subtle genius. Not Overdone, but warms the cockles immediately and only improves that temperature throughout. A perfect balance of humility, honesty & frankness that is rarely seen! Adam Driver take a bow. Just a must see twice or thrice film for all ages. Thank you for this gift of being able To partake in its viewing.

• Oct 06, 2018

Simple and insightful yet ironic, Jim Jarmusch paints a thoughtful satire that resonates with its deep sincerity and features delicate direction and a sensitive performance by Adam Driver in this atypical character study.

• Oct 04, 2018

Among the superficial, dialogue-driven movies of today, Paterson stands out as a uniquely calm, understated gem. Jarmusch finds inspiration in the mundane, and as the movie and its bus-driver protagonist (played by Adam Driver) presses on, viewers feel like they, too, are part of his life. Driver's performance as Paterson is both minimalistic and remarkable; the simplicity with which Driver's Paterson goes about his daily routine is endearing in its relatability.