Paycheck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paycheck Reviews

October 10, 2016
I read the plot on Wikipedia before watching it. It helped me understand what was going on. I liked it and would give it 3 out of 5 star rating.
June 21, 2016
Paycheck starts off well enough. Ben Affleck, wearing douche bag sunglasses, is a reverse engineer. He is paid to duplicate and, hopefully, improve existing technology. After project completion, his memory of the project is erased from Affleck. His character is shallow, with shallow relationships and seemingly no immediate family. He is given a three-year project, which includes the standard memory-erasing clause. At the end of the project, he immediately senses that something is wrong. He has only clues to help him weave through a tangled web of chaos. In theory, it's a pretty good premise. However, after a solid beginning, the film struggles with execution. There are too many movie cliches -- the long car chase scenes, the shoot outs that go on forever and involve the token catwalk. Affleck's acting is not great either. He seems disingenuous throughout the whole film and lacks the depth to convincing convey the proper emotions toward the leading lady, Uma Thurman. Uma Thurman is a bright spot in the film, managing to turn ridiculous lines and horrible directing into the character with the most depth.
May 21, 2016
Déjà vu, prévisible, a plus l'air d'un film de 1993 que de 2003...
April 1, 2016
Entretenida. Le dieron muchos palos en su día, quizás porque prometía más de lo que ofrecía, como ocurre en la mayoría de las ocasiones, pero ha envejecido mucho mejor que otras obras mejor puntuadas. Hay que destacar que probablemente (sin haber visto su filmografía entera) sea una de las peores actuaciones de Ben Affleck, y que además hay un abuso de las escenas de acción que en ocasiones roza lo absurdo. Por lo demás se parte de una premisa curiosa, que aunque en su desarrollo contenga muchos agujeros, resulta entretenida siempre que uno no le de demasiadas vueltas a la cabeza.
March 1, 2016
Its nothing special. Messy in places and don't buy the story at times. Pretty much a poor mans Minority Report
February 19, 2016
Great premise, disappointing execution.
February 8, 2016
It's...interesting. I had no idea what was going on for the first half of the movie. By the second half, I was hooked just enough to get to the end.
August 30, 2015
This movie just sags, even in the action scenes.
August 18, 2015
Best Ben Affleck movie.
½ August 13, 2015
It Maybe off at times and ignores some of the mysterious aspects but it's solid and brilliant.
For having 3 box office bombs in one year and winning 3 razzies for worst actor 2003 was not the best year for Ben Affleck although I didn't think he was bad in this. Ben Affleck basically takes up after his buddy Matt Damon because his character in this is basically Jason Bourne.
This would've made a brilliant tv show.
August 1, 2015
While not as terrible as most people have foretold it, Paycheck is a waste of an action movie, as it focuses too much on the action and, along the way, forgets they were telling a story
July 10, 2015
I love John Woo but boy was he the wrong director for this film.
½ June 19, 2015
The only interesting part of the movie is the reconstruction of how Ben Affleck managed to remember his future, but for the rest is a bad scifi movie.
½ June 11, 2015
When I first saw this film I didn't even know it was a Philip K. Dick short story. The movie came out almost 12 years ago but it didn't seem so far off until I realized I didn't remember why he's being chased. I remembered some of the action scenes and the mystery solving so in my mind it looked more like an action than sci-fi movie. The plot is basically centered around the action, the car chases, gunshots, and explosions - not at a Michael Bay level - but still a very action-centered movie. It made the characters looks quite one-dimensional

It's funny how this futuristic sci-fi movie is a bit off. I mean the movie doesn't really hold up today. It's still a good science fiction - I meant action - story and I enjoyed watching it, maybe even more now that I recognize all of the supporting cast, but parts of the movie looked...fake I guess, or like it was made in the 80s instead of the 00s.

Paycheck was awesome when I saw it as a kid, it's still a pleasant movie to watch but it's definitely not a film for a nitpicking audience. @wornoutspines
June 8, 2015
Holding the dubious dual honour of being possibly the worst adaptation of a Philip K. Dick idea and the worst John Woo film at the same time Paycheck is kind of a mess. It didn't have to, though. The story is neatly engaging and the cast has potential, not even the director is that terrible? So what happened? Well, Paycheck came out at the height of early aughties confusion when 'audience movies' and studio decisions neatly overlapped to give us milquetoast action movies. This was before the action revolution, before the marvel cinematic universe, before even batman begins. It was the year that gave us the atrocious spider man 2, daredevil and xmen 2 as well as the two big budget, concept spoiling matrix sequels. Looking back at all this it all seems quite quaint, really and i can't help but wonder what a better director would have done with the IP.

So what's wrong with the movie? So many things in such little baffling ways. Ben affleck is wholly unbelievable as an 'engineer' (compare and contrast to Carruth in primer), the other actors, including eckhart are hamming it up and the time aspects of the plot are poorly explored. Paul Giamatti gets too little screen time, Uma Thurman gets too much and the action scenes are utterly forgettable despite the fact that this is a John Woo Film.

Paycheck is a bad movie, such a bad movie in fact that it seems like the director saw an apocalyptic future triggered by the movie in a reverse engineered machine and designed the movie to be shit and forgettable to save us all. Avoid.
June 3, 2015
More people will see it. More will like it.
May 15, 2015
The best hollywood movie of all time. Brilliant acting, screenplay & well written.
½ April 27, 2015
This movie is at it's best when it's a sci-fi mystery, unfortunately the movie would much rather be an action movie which seems like a waste as the action here is probably the most boring part. At the half way point the movie even disposes of the mystery entirely and tells the audience, in no uncertain terms, exactly what's going on. Even if you don't mind that fact the movie just feels generic by the end.
½ March 31, 2015
Although the film lacks some good supporting performances and a story that stretches a bit too much, it is a very good premise with some nice action sequences, accompanied by some good performances from both Affleck and Eckhart which make this "man-on-the-run" thriller one to check out. B