Pee-wee's Big Adventure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pee-wee's Big Adventure Reviews

½ September 27, 2016
The greatest of all Feel Good movies, classic characters like Francis, amazing Larry and of course Pee Wee. You will be cracking up the whole film.
September 18, 2016
Definitely a five star movie, this came out when I was 6 years old and watching years later it's still just as funny as it was back in the 80's. Consider it a comedy classic
September 10, 2016
There is something bizarrely charming about Pee-wee's Big Adventure. Maybe it's the quirky characters. Perhaps it's Tim Burton's creative storytelling. Or it could be Danny Elfman's unique score. No matter what it is, this movie appeals to both children and adults...unless you're annoyed by Pee-wee Herman, that is.
½ September 8, 2016
it's stupid funny and a old time classic.
September 3, 2016
It's tough to enjoy something when every aspect of the film is strictly aimed at impressing children. Without heart, any sign of intelligence, or a cohesive plot, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is one big dud. There's nothing here for people over 7 years old.

I like Tim Burton a lot. He always brings such a unique vision and style into every film he directs or produces. In fact, Big Fish is one of my all-time favorite films. So when I decided to look back at his filmography in preparation for Miss Peregrine later this month, I was excited to sit down and watch what I hadn't already seen. Sadly, Pee-Wee is lacking all of the nuances that make his later work so special. It's easily one of his weakest films.

Of course I was aware going in that Pee-Wee isn't for everyone. In fact, there aren't many Burton films that appeal to everyone, but there has to be some joy in watching a ridiculously silly comedy for 90 minutes right? Or perhaps a side character that will be more memorable than the mess that is Pee-Wee himself? Maybe even a nice message that doesn't totally undermine the unique style of Burton? If I'm being honest, there's nothing redeemable to this story.

Pee-Wee apparently owns the world's most sought after bike and it's unfortunately stolen, so he must muster up the strength and devotion to find it, at whatever cost. It's a journey that could have been as good as the legendary trip Ed Bloom took in Big Fish. Or at least as funny as Beetlejuice. I was hoping it would at least poke fun at its insane premise and give us a good laugh or two, but it never hits the way it should. To put it bluntly, these are adults who are playing roles that should be played by kids. It honestly gets to unwatchable point when Pee-Wee constantly gets distracted by every person he meets and spends 15 minutes doing nothing efficient and progressing the story in the absolute slightest.

Realistically, it doesn't bother me that this movie is awful. I'm not the intended audience, but nor is it for 99% of the public. I'm sorry Tim Burton, I love your work, but I cannot stand everything about Pee-Wee.

-Adults acting like kids

-In unwatchable ways

-Meandering plot does nothing to benefit story

-Absurd premise turns out to be worse than it sounds

August 29, 2016
Awesome movie. The film draws a lot of nostalgia for fans of the show and delivers many laughs in the process, both through its smart jokes and it's wonderful performance from Reubens, as well as a great debut direction from Burton.
August 28, 2016
Almost walked out of movie theater in the first 5 minutes watching the early nonsense but fought through it. Really it's just a silly kid's movie.
August 8, 2016
Comedian Pee Wee Herman brings his unique comedy style to the big screen and the end result is a fresh, fun and inventive film. The score is wonderful and the characters are kooky and fun as well. The plot is simple as Pee Wee sets off on a cross country adventure to find his prized bicycle which has been stolen by Pee Wees nemesis.
½ August 8, 2016
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is God's gift to man. Well, one of them.
July 18, 2016
Pee-Wee's adult-like adventure to get his stolen bike back turns childhood fears into pure kitsch. And that's the point... Tell 'em Large Marge sent you and laugh your ass off!
July 6, 2016
"Can't you remember anything?" "I remember...the Alamo!" (Much rejoicing.) The sillier the better in this surreal, buoyant and fun Burton debut. Imagine I would like it even more if I grew up with it.
½ June 19, 2016
Not very special, but Paul Reuben's famous rant, "Shush! I'M TRYING TO USE THE PHONE!" Is just priceless! Not to forget the dialogue from the hells angels!
½ June 13, 2016
Tim Burton's directorial debut about the adventures of the quirky Pee Wee. When Pee Wee's bike is stolen, he treks on a journey to locate it. Along the way he meets several interesting characters and wreaks havoc on a Hollywood backlot. This movie is a grown ups childhood imagination coming to life. The score is not only wacky but one of the best in a comedy. Not for all tastes but definitely a work of cinematic art.
May 31, 2016
78% Pee Wee is enjoyable for children, who are dazzled by its silliness, and adults, who laugh at its sneaky jokes.
May 12, 2016
gr8 debut from director Tim Burton
May 2, 2016
I'd be surprised if anyone couldn't easily see why Pee-Wee is one of the most love-it or hate-it characters of all time. Paul Reubens shtick can easily come off as tedious or annoying, but since I came upon the character at the right time in my life I still see the funny within that obnoxious exterior. One of the things that Pee-Wee's Big Adventure captures better than most films is the behavior and thought-process of a kid. While Pee-Wee may look like an adult, his entire personality is a perfect representation of how adults would behave if they never matured past 8 years old. There are so many moments in this film that make me laugh, like how he wins over a biker gang through his silly dance moves, or how he saves every animal in a pet shop one at a time instead of just putting out the fire. There are also a number of jokes that I laughed at as an adult that I never fully understood when I was a kid watching this for the first time. I especially love the sequence where he rides through WB studios, and then gets his story made into a movie which is nothing like the movie we are watching. Tim Burton also has some fun with this movie by adding creepy elements, including an intense dream sequence (and, of course, Large Marge) that would terrify younger viewers. I think those moments might have bothered me more than most back in the day, and that's why I haven't revisited it in decades, but they're kind of mild by today's standards. There's something nostalgic in Pee-Wee and his world for me, but I will always understand when someone tells me they hate it.
April 5, 2016
My all time favorite movie. 100 Stars! Probably the best "road trip" movie ever. Amazing score by Danny Elfman and debut of Tim Burton.
March 31, 2016
My favourite movie of all time! Seen it 100 tines and it never gets old.
March 27, 2016
Annoyingly likable, and fun.