Penguin Highway Reviews

• Apr 09, 2020

Felt more for kids with the poor simplistic dialogue and fantastic elements that aren't ever really explained, just throwing water and penguins and mystery around to really wow younger viewers. For me was a passable watch in a lighthearted wistful way.

• Mar 29, 2020

A young boy finds penguins popping up in his small town and seeks to unravel the mystery of why. I'm pulled in a lot of different directions on this one. It's well animated, the bright color pallet helps give you the sense of viewing the world through an elementary schooler's eyes, the character writing belies deeper connections and nuance. But the plot is meandering and whimsical, it's too long, and too many things are left in an unsatisfactory manner for the story to be satisfying. The whole movie I kept trying to figure out what it was about. What was a metaphor for what? What was this story trying to tell me? I never figured it out. I think it tried to do too much and didn't end up doing any of them well.

• Michael M Super Reviewer
    Feb 19, 2020

An at times charming and wonderous movie, but all too often a movie that just survives on strangeness and lack of explanation. The weird thing is it overexplains some things, but then other things it never bothers to explain. Why penguins for one? Why is any of this really happening? Never explained, and while it's arguably not important, the movie put a lot of attention this investigation so the lack of answers and overwhelming weirdness of it makes the unresolved element kind of frustrating. It's an overall cute movie, and a nice coming of age story, and often it's beautiful with strong emotions in the right place. Other times though, it's just strange to be strange and even weirdly crass. I don't know, I love penguins, but this one just felt a little off to me.

• Jan 25, 2020

Unfortunately very similar to "Mirani no Mirai"

Unfortunately very similar to "Mirani no Mirai"

• Nov 29, 2019

4.75 penguin highway takes a familiar premise and Fantastical elements and makes it fresh in a story that takes many turns into the supernatural while exploring the challenges of growing up.

• Oct 26, 2019

This movie is weird, it's cute, it's fun, it is an absolute must see. The plot twists are somewhat predictable, if you know how these stories go. I loved this movie, so treat your self and enjoy.

• Oct 25, 2019

Absolutely fantastic, charming, cute and invigorating. Yes indeed:) Reminded me of Ghibli films. I'm so looking forward to now reading the Light Novel it's based on. There's an offical English translation Ava, like there for many anime films and series nowadays. As more and more Light Novels are being adapted for anime. Anyhow, a wonderful way to start my day :)

• Jun 27, 2019

A really heartwarming movie and its just the kind of movie where you just get into the moment and watch the whole thing without a word. A few moments felt a bit stretched out but otherwise an amazing movie.

• Apr 15, 2019

This is a very strange movie. Heavy with metaphors and themes that don't really make any logical sense despite an almost procedural detective mystery approach to its story. The best way to describe it is like Twin Peaks with more Anime tropes, including a 10 year old super smart kid, some anime perv stuff, and fantastic visuals. There are some rather strong characters who do have growth arcs, and the final culmination of it all does lead to a rather touching scene. At the end of the day though, It definitely left me scratching my head trying to unpack everything I just witnessed by the time the credits roll. Since much like Twin Peaks, you do feel like there's meaning behind every surreal thing that happens in it and you're given the information on screen. But it's up to you to put it all together in your brain in a way that makes sense. So I think I recommend this just for at least the visual side of things. But be prepared for what's basically a long winding surrealist adventure if you're strapped in for the story.

• Apr 15, 2019

If you have a high tolerance for suspending your disbelief and want to jump into a world that is bright, beautiful, filled with creativity, and celebrates the joys of childhood this is a great film to see. Check out my video review: https://youtu.be/1_kRT2M0FDg