Reviews

• May 08, 2021

Its an amazing film, and having penguins in it is just an added bonus!!

Its an amazing film, and having penguins in it is just an added bonus!!

• Jan 08, 2021

Adorable penguins in a sweet children's anime. Hiroyasu Ishida's fantasy adventure anime Penguin Highway (2018) is incredibly cute and heartwarming. Infinite cuddly penguins wash over you with Penguin Highway's charming story. Ishida's gentle direction feels serene and playful in every scene. Penguins are my favorite animal, so seeing these cute hand drawn penguins throughout Penguin Highway is like a dream out of my childhood coming to life. Makoto Ueda and Tomihiko Morimi's writing is very clever with a humorously adult tone for the precocious young protagonist and this silly whimsical tone for the rest of this lovely kid's movie. Penguin Highway gets to the heart of right and wrong. Ueda and Morimi's coming of age story is as adorable as the plethora of penguins in the film. I love how Hiroyasu Ishida seriously directs a children's film about penguins with the utmost care and consideration for his characters and penguins. Umitaro Abe's sweeping score for Penguin Highway is uplifting and loving. Abe's score gently cradles Penguin Highway with a tender innocence and blissful symphony. All the voice acting is really fun with these really strange and quirky characters. Utada Hikaru's main theme for Penguin Highway is gorgeous like the rest of her dreamy songs. In conclusion, Penguin Highway is one of the most sincerely cute movies I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

• Oct 04, 2020

I enjoyed this one greatly and the humour it used as the characters search for where the penguins come from in this adventure story.

• Aug 25, 2020

Un film veramente carino dal significato profondo.

Un film veramente carino dal significato profondo.

• Jul 19, 2020

A lighthearted 'kids' story with nice meaning behind it. Really nice anime style. Really amazing animations.

• Jun 18, 2020

An incredibly fun family fantasy adventure film with a good heart. Penguin Highway offers something to love for viewers of all ages.

• Jun 07, 2020

Nothing can be more special and more beautiful than the sweet sincerity and pure joy of PENGUIN HIGHWAY.

• Apr 09, 2020

Felt more for kids with the poor simplistic dialogue and fantastic elements that aren't ever really explained, just throwing water and penguins and mystery around to really wow younger viewers. For me was a passable watch in a lighthearted wistful way.

• Mar 29, 2020

A young boy finds penguins popping up in his small town and seeks to unravel the mystery of why. I'm pulled in a lot of different directions on this one. It's well animated, the bright color pallet helps give you the sense of viewing the world through an elementary schooler's eyes, the character writing belies deeper connections and nuance. But the plot is meandering and whimsical, it's too long, and too many things are left in an unsatisfactory manner for the story to be satisfying. The whole movie I kept trying to figure out what it was about. What was a metaphor for what? What was this story trying to tell me? I never figured it out. I think it tried to do too much and didn't end up doing any of them well.

• Michael M Super Reviewer
    Feb 19, 2020

An at times charming and wonderous movie, but all too often a movie that just survives on strangeness and lack of explanation. The weird thing is it overexplains some things, but then other things it never bothers to explain. Why penguins for one? Why is any of this really happening? Never explained, and while it's arguably not important, the movie put a lot of attention this investigation so the lack of answers and overwhelming weirdness of it makes the unresolved element kind of frustrating. It's an overall cute movie, and a nice coming of age story, and often it's beautiful with strong emotions in the right place. Other times though, it's just strange to be strange and even weirdly crass. I don't know, I love penguins, but this one just felt a little off to me.