Persepolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Persepolis Reviews

December 2, 2016
?????? ????? ????? ????? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ????? ?? ??? ??? ??????? ???. ???? ???? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????? ???. ?? ?? ????? ??? ????? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ? ?????? ???? ????? ?? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ????? ????? ???? ???? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ??? ????? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?? ?????? (?? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ? ??? ??????? ????). ??????? ????? ?? ????? ?? ?? ????? ??? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ???? ??? ?? ?????. ?? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?????? ???? ????? ?????? ?? ???? ????.
(Interesting life story, along with a bit of a history lesson told in cartoon form. The only thing that threw me off was the whole movie being in French instead of Farsi. I can understand when the story took place in Vienna and France, then French could be used, but in Iran Farsi should be spoken or else it looks like it takes place in France(or France ruled the world and everyone speaks French). Things like that always bother me, but it didn't take too much away from the movie overall. I liked it despite the majority of it being pretty depressing.)
½ November 24, 2016
Marjane Satrapi adapts her own graphic novel about growing up in Iran during and after the Islamic revolution that ousted the Shah. Although I prefer the graphic novel, which goes a little deeper into some topics, particular her nascent "punk rock" rebellion and her love for Iron Maiden, it's a great film whose animation preserves the simple visual appeal of the book. I think the first half is quite a bit stronger than the second, which loses focus a bit after her return to Iran after her life in Vienna, it's still a must for fans of her work or animation in general. I think it's of particular interest that it's a work on this subject that does not really mention the United States and it's relationship with Iran at all.
½ August 10, 2016
A must-see. Eyes wide open on a reality much different from ours that we mustn't be blind to.
½ August 7, 2016
Persepolis is a poignant and humorous coming-of-age story about a girl growing up in the Iranian Revolution.
August 5, 2016
Based on a graphic novel that I know very little, still I liked very much the visual style it presented and a very frech animation that feels very needed this days. In the end what actually makes it stand out is the bold storytelling that shows the comming of age of a little girl stuck in a culture that does't understand her and the political nuances behind it.
½ August 4, 2016
Persepolis was the first graphic novel and the first book I checked out of my college library. The film followed very closely to the book, giving insight to a rebel of revolution and Marjane's journey of self discovery. As somebody quite interested in the Iranian/Persian culture, I loved it!
½ July 20, 2016
watch this and then kite runner and be depressed
April 24, 2016
I think it might just be one of the darkest, deepest, saddest films I've ever watched. But just like any other masterpiece, it's surprisingly funny and the most important thing is it's haunting, in a weirdly good way...

It is thought provoking. A very deep one at that. I just wonder where the hell have I been? What the hell was I doing not watching this?

But like I said, this just might be the right time. Maybe I wouldn't have understood the film, or seen the film the way I do now if I was way younger than I am now.

In the end, this is one of those 100-films-to-watch-before-you-die kind of film. One you MUST watch, no matter how hard it is to actually watch it. Trust me, it is hard.

An absolute masterpiece! I LOVE IT!
April 20, 2016
This should be mandatory viewing for anybody with a political opinion about the Islamic world.
March 17, 2016
1 hour 35 minutes and 31 seconds too long
March 7, 2016
Persepolis is an emotionally powerful, dramatically enthralling autobiographical gem.
February 10, 2016
My favourite animation. I was shocked when it lost the Oscar to Ratatouille. However, in the US, animated movies are cartoons, meant for children, so I can see how this happened.
This movie is a masterpiece, painted in wide monochromatic powerful strokes.
JDT: 5/5. Good advice. Close look at family life and pride.
½ January 25, 2016
amazing! makes you realize that wherever you choose to settle life will bring its own set of problems and you must deal with them. there's just no running away
January 15, 2016
a thoughtful film on a kid growing up in Iran ..
December 31, 2015
Great coming of age animated film, rebellious and truthful, with a great universality while still being from an unique perspective.
December 19, 2015
A really intense life a woman has, l like it!
December 15, 2015
A very peculiar and deep animated biography with layers of commentary and great characters to keep the sometimes too dramatic story interesting and creative.
December 3, 2015
A beautifully animated, yet unfiltered, expression of equality, bitterness and depression that can't help but be entirely, and sadly, believable.
November 21, 2015
Animated but for a very adult audience with this story of the emancipation of a Iranian Persepolis. Quite surprising for French to be the spoken language given the subject matter of the veiled culture of Iran. Perhaps the era before the fall of the Shah. Nevertheless a vey thought provoking political film.
August 31, 2015
One of the best films I've seen in a while.