Persepolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Persepolis Reviews

November 29, 2017
A very good animation movie. Educational and entertaining. A moving tale of a young girl, and her troubles with tyranny.
November 18, 2017
Powerfully touching, visually rich and social relevant, Persepolis is a masterpiece that honors the life and work of its heroin with integrity and grace while delivering a brilliant depiction of the Iranian Revolution and its consequences.
November 3, 2017
Really good movie. I was very surprised
October 24, 2017
For such a short movie, it feels so long because it has crammed a whole life story into it. I learned so much about the modern history of Iran and it was really amazing how the movie made me understand the hell that these people had endured. I really understood the motif in which there was an opposition between freedom and home in this film. The animation was unbelievably effective and artistic. It was able to convey both hardship and levity with equal potency. I was especially surprised with the amount of side-splitting humor in such a generally sad story, but that's life I guess.
½ August 25, 2017
Superb adaptation of Marjane Sartrapi's now classic autobiography that, like the comic, using simple cartoon methods to tell a powerful story. The vocal cast is superb, in both English and French, and give real authority to the characters & story. Behind the camera, Sartarpi & Vincent Paronaud adapt her comic splendidly, uses classic cartoon techniques to illustrate the story. Unlike the comic, color is used in the present while black & white is used when the story is told, to illustrate the past. Also, the movie wisely uses movie's ability to use audio & music, such as some excellent musical montages, from "Iron Maiden" to "Eye of the Tiger", which is effective in condensing the story to movie length. Plus, Sartrapi isn't afraid to attack to problems & inconsistencies of the Iranian Revolution, noting that the Shah was horrible ruler but what replaced him ended up being far worse (as she said to her school teacher as a child, they went from having 3,000 political prisoners to 300,000). It is also nice to see Iran was a thoroughly modern nation that still tries to be one, despite the oppression. Overall, one of the best adaptations of a comic book ever, and an excellent look at life during the Iranian Revolution.
August 23, 2017
Me vi Persepolis, y puedo opinar que la abuela de protagonista es un personaje que terminas dándole tus respetos.

Nunca te olvidaremos abuelita.
½ June 26, 2017
Dramática hasta el último momento. Bravo por las películas inteligentes, tuve que investigar demasiado. Si no hubiera competido con Ratatouille, se habría ganado el Óscar.
½ April 1, 2017
One would like to make us believe that Iranian girls suffer more in Islamic Iran than in Europe where nobody suffers from racism. A criticism of Iran that does not keep tale of the achievements of the Revolution. An openly Islamophobic film. No wonder it was a success in a deeply racist Sarkozy France. Avoid this crap if you consider watching it.
January 31, 2017
A wonderful adaptation of the graphic novels.
½ December 29, 2016
A delight in its animation and translation from the original novels.
December 18, 2016
My only problem with the film is that doesn't offer anything new to the graphic novel, not even a fresh perspective.
December 11, 2016
Persepolis [Satrapi, Paronnaud, 2007] I don't mind watching two more hours of this quirky autobiographical animation. 9/10
December 2, 2016
?????? ????? ????? ????? ?? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ????? ?? ??? ??? ??????? ???. ???? ???? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????? ???. ?? ?? ????? ??? ????? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ? ?????? ???? ????? ?? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ???? ???????? ??? ?? ????? ????? ???? ???? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ??? ????? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?? ?????? (?? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ? ??? ??????? ????). ??????? ????? ?? ????? ?? ?? ????? ??? ??? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ???? ??? ?? ?????. ?? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?????? ???? ????? ?????? ?? ???? ????.
(Interesting life story, along with a bit of a history lesson told in cartoon form. The only thing that threw me off was the whole movie being in French instead of Farsi. I can understand when the story took place in Vienna and France, then French could be used, but in Iran Farsi should be spoken or else it looks like it takes place in France(or France ruled the world and everyone speaks French). Things like that always bother me, but it didn't take too much away from the movie overall. I liked it despite the majority of it being pretty depressing.)
½ November 24, 2016
Marjane Satrapi adapts her own graphic novel about growing up in Iran during and after the Islamic revolution that ousted the Shah. Although I prefer the graphic novel, which goes a little deeper into some topics, particular her nascent "punk rock" rebellion and her love for Iron Maiden, it's a great film whose animation preserves the simple visual appeal of the book. I think the first half is quite a bit stronger than the second, which loses focus a bit after her return to Iran after her life in Vienna, it's still a must for fans of her work or animation in general. I think it's of particular interest that it's a work on this subject that does not really mention the United States and it's relationship with Iran at all.
½ August 10, 2016
A must-see. Eyes wide open on a reality much different from ours that we mustn't be blind to.
½ August 7, 2016
Persepolis is a poignant and humorous coming-of-age story about a girl growing up in the Iranian Revolution.
August 5, 2016
Based on a graphic novel that I know very little, still I liked very much the visual style it presented and a very frech animation that feels very needed this days. In the end what actually makes it stand out is the bold storytelling that shows the comming of age of a little girl stuck in a culture that does't understand her and the political nuances behind it.
½ August 4, 2016
Persepolis was the first graphic novel and the first book I checked out of my college library. The film followed very closely to the book, giving insight to a rebel of revolution and Marjane's journey of self discovery. As somebody quite interested in the Iranian/Persian culture, I loved it!
½ July 20, 2016
watch this and then kite runner and be depressed
April 24, 2016
I think it might just be one of the darkest, deepest, saddest films I've ever watched. But just like any other masterpiece, it's surprisingly funny and the most important thing is it's haunting, in a weirdly good way...

It is thought provoking. A very deep one at that. I just wonder where the hell have I been? What the hell was I doing not watching this?

But like I said, this just might be the right time. Maybe I wouldn't have understood the film, or seen the film the way I do now if I was way younger than I am now.

In the end, this is one of those 100-films-to-watch-before-you-die kind of film. One you MUST watch, no matter how hard it is to actually watch it. Trust me, it is hard.

An absolute masterpiece! I LOVE IT!