Personal Shopper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Personal Shopper Reviews

½ June 3, 2018
definitely worth shopping..

Personal Shopper

A smarter intake on capturing the mourning process that follows a mythical path which not only is intriguing but thought-provoking and layered concept. The writing is gripping and poetic and doesn't grow cheesy or corny (which it could have been easily considering the wider concept it possess) instead grows mature and stays true to its tone throughout the course of it. Even though the concept is deep and finely detailed, the makers narrow down the priorities and keeps it simple rather than overcooking it. Olivier Assayas; the writer-director, has done a marvellous work on executing this character driven feature (such features can easily be exhausting if not taken care of) with the help of amazing cinematography and rich costume design. The background score and the editing could have been a lot better. Kirsten Stewart is a revolution and the game changer in this feature (she carries it all on her shoulder) as it is one of her finest performance up till now. The sound effects aren't scary to that extent but then contradict to its genre, the feature doesn't spend its time on projecting the high pitched tense sequences that are usually all hoax in such features. Personal Shopper is brutally dark and inedible on terms of the trajectory it follows but if up for it, is definitely worth shopping.
May 30, 2018
Assayas is unable to bring the character to an emotional depth, it's hard to say if it's simply that Stewart and the director simple don't connect, or if Stewart simply cannot break out of her mold.

- Anchorage Press
½ May 23, 2018
Personal Shopper is a 2016 supernatural psychological thriller film written and directed by Olivier Assayas.
This psychological thriller had me squirming in my seat from the opening scenes. From there it follows a slow yet measured pace, building up the storyline and relationships between the characters. I liked the basic premise of the film and it contained some very effective scenes, such as the phone texts sequence. Towards the end there is further tension, suspense, and mystery, and the final scene makes you wonder even further about how real this all is. DG and the MC.
½ April 30, 2018
Well-made and kind of interesting but vastly over-rated.
½ March 28, 2018
Co-written and directed by Olivier Assayas starring Kirsten Stewart as Maurren Cartwright a Personal Shopper used as a job description in Paris. And at the opening scene she is attempting to practice seance at an old family home since apparently she used to have a twin brother but died in a heart attack. A hereditary decease she is suffering as well, during which the house is for sell. Maureen originally does not really live in Paris, but was apparently needed to help her sister in law sell the house, the very house where her actual brother died in.
March 20, 2018
I'm right on the fence with this one. First of all, Kristen Stewart is in basically every scene and she's hella good. As to the movie, it has some dopey ghost movie stuff no doubt, but it's intriguing too. It has ambience but a lack of coherence. I think I have to go thumbs down. 4.9 out of 10
March 17, 2018
Kristen is good and the slow pace didn?t bother me, but there is literally no resolution in this movie. Who was texting her? Who was the killer? Was the ghost her brother? Almost two hours patiently watching and you?ll never know. Yeah. That?s a bit of a problem. I can use my imagination to some extent but not for an entire movie.
½ March 4, 2018
As much a study of solitude, intimacy and otherworldly longings as it is a contemporary ghost story, the film is both genuinely scary and psychologically serious.
½ February 27, 2018
Personal Shopper is an okay film. It is about a personal shopper in Paris refuses to leave the city until she makes contact with her twin brother who died there. Kirsten Stewart and Lars Eidinger give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Olivier Assayas did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
February 23, 2018
Outstanding film that leaves you feeling very uneady.
February 13, 2018
Stewart is all right but tthis lofi ghost story goes around in circles most of the movie.The ending was not satisfying to say the least.
February 11, 2018
Flawed but interesting.Without a doubt a career-best performance from Stewart, and an excellent exploration of grief. The text message scenes are gripping, and on a par with any thriller. And there's a truly stunning scene where she tries on a forbidden dress.

Where it falls down is that it can't quite decide whether it's a thriller or a chiller.
February 11, 2018
Flawed but interesting. Without doubt a career-best performance from Stewart, and an excellent exploration of grief. The text message scenes are gripping, and on a par with any thriller. And there's a truly stunning scene where she tries on a forbidden dress.

½ February 9, 2018
Horrible. Waste of time. I love Kristen Stewart but her choice of movies is questionable. Kristen is wonderful but she could show a little more emotion.
½ January 23, 2018
this movie tended to swing from boring to intensely spooky, but the unevenness was rather distracting.
January 19, 2018
Incredibly unsatisfying. Pointless.
January 10, 2018
The personal shopper may be so immersed in her desire to believe that her brother is out there, that she becomes an unreliable narrator. When watching this film, remember that what she sees and hears from a spirit world may only be her.
I liked Kristen Stewart very much in this role, which is a must, because the movie is entirely focused on her. It's not terribly spooky, but I think depicts accurately how a modern young woman would react to a possible visitation , particularly if she's self-aware enough to question its authenticity.
January 10, 2018
It finds its place somewhere between indie thriller think-piece and character-drama, its strengths are in its subtlety, and obviously bolstered by Kristen Stewart's stand-out performance (one of her best to date). Personal Shopper will undoubtedly satisfy fans of the indie thriller genre with its unpredictable and atmospheric presentation.
January 8, 2018
Kept me hooked but left more questions than answers..perhaps that was the point of this art house movie....
January 8, 2018
Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper supposes a world populated with invisible presences. They make themselves known through Youtube, texting, and ectoplasmic vomit.

It would be an overstatement to say Personal Shopper concerns communicating with these invisibles. The attempt is made, but the action of the film is more the waiting, the watching, and the reaching out. A world so profuse with messages and transmissions somehow only finds alienation at the other end.

The most material presence in Personal Shopper belongs to Kristen Stewart. Mostly solitaire throughout the film, Stewart's character, Maureen, stands entangled in a web of dubious correspondences. Communications with her employer consistently miss their mark; her brother may or may not be sending her messages from the afterlife; and an anonymous individual with a hint of omniscience keeps sending her texts.

Maureen's eyes search the screens of her phone and computer trying to locate connection and validation. How often do we find ourselves in a similar state? What is it we are asking of Maureen as her presence fills the screens of our own devices?

Rather than lumbering into a ponderous sinkhole of narrative energy, Personal Shopper couches its meditations on the physics and metaphysics of the digital age in a pile-up of subplots. Maureen's job as errand-girl to celebrity superstar Kyra (Nora van Waldstatten) provides its own axis of conflict and desire on which turns the fetishization of invisibility and voyeurism. On top of that, add a not entirely unrelated murder mystery; and, on top of that, add an even slightly less related communion with the supernatural.

All told, Personal Shopper is a sleek murder-mystery-ghost-story with splashes of haute couture and some casual globetrotting. Oddly enough though, the most thrilling bits are the text messages.