Personal Shopper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Personal Shopper Reviews

February 23, 2018
Outstanding film that leaves you feeling very uneady.
February 13, 2018
Stewart is all right but tthis lofi ghost story goes around in circles most of the movie.The ending was not satisfying to say the least.
February 11, 2018
Flawed but interesting.Without a doubt a career-best performance from Stewart, and an excellent exploration of grief. The text message scenes are gripping, and on a par with any thriller. And there's a truly stunning scene where she tries on a forbidden dress.

Where it falls down is that it can't quite decide whether it's a thriller or a chiller.
February 11, 2018
Flawed but interesting. Without doubt a career-best performance from Stewart, and an excellent exploration of grief. The text message scenes are gripping, and on a par with any thriller. And there's a truly stunning scene where she tries on a forbidden dress.

½ February 9, 2018
Horrible. Waste of time. I love Kristen Stewart but her choice of movies is questionable. Kristen is wonderful but she could show a little more emotion.
½ January 23, 2018
this movie tended to swing from boring to intensely spooky, but the unevenness was rather distracting.
January 19, 2018
Incredibly unsatisfying. Pointless.
January 10, 2018
The personal shopper may be so immersed in her desire to believe that her brother is out there, that she becomes an unreliable narrator. When watching this film, remember that what she sees and hears from a spirit world may only be her.
I liked Kristen Stewart very much in this role, which is a must, because the movie is entirely focused on her. It's not terribly spooky, but I think depicts accurately how a modern young woman would react to a possible visitation , particularly if she's self-aware enough to question its authenticity.
January 10, 2018
It finds its place somewhere between indie thriller think-piece and character-drama, its strengths are in its subtlety, and obviously bolstered by Kristen Stewart's stand-out performance (one of her best to date). Personal Shopper will undoubtedly satisfy fans of the indie thriller genre with its unpredictable and atmospheric presentation.
January 8, 2018
Kept me hooked but left more questions than answers..perhaps that was the point of this art house movie....
January 8, 2018
Olivier Assayas' Personal Shopper supposes a world populated with invisible presences. They make themselves known through Youtube, texting, and ectoplasmic vomit.

It would be an overstatement to say Personal Shopper concerns communicating with these invisibles. The attempt is made, but the action of the film is more the waiting, the watching, and the reaching out. A world so profuse with messages and transmissions somehow only finds alienation at the other end.

The most material presence in Personal Shopper belongs to Kristen Stewart. Mostly solitaire throughout the film, Stewart's character, Maureen, stands entangled in a web of dubious correspondences. Communications with her employer consistently miss their mark; her brother may or may not be sending her messages from the afterlife; and an anonymous individual with a hint of omniscience keeps sending her texts.

Maureen's eyes search the screens of her phone and computer trying to locate connection and validation. How often do we find ourselves in a similar state? What is it we are asking of Maureen as her presence fills the screens of our own devices?

Rather than lumbering into a ponderous sinkhole of narrative energy, Personal Shopper couches its meditations on the physics and metaphysics of the digital age in a pile-up of subplots. Maureen's job as errand-girl to celebrity superstar Kyra (Nora van Waldstatten) provides its own axis of conflict and desire on which turns the fetishization of invisibility and voyeurism. On top of that, add a not entirely unrelated murder mystery; and, on top of that, add an even slightly less related communion with the supernatural.

All told, Personal Shopper is a sleek murder-mystery-ghost-story with splashes of haute couture and some casual globetrotting. Oddly enough though, the most thrilling bits are the text messages.
January 7, 2018
Boring as crap. Could have easily been edited to 20 minutes and you would still get the same story. Tons of filler scenes.
January 7, 2018
Different from everything!
January 6, 2018
Not in love with Kristen Stewart, so watching her half naked doesn't make up for all the time of her at her phone. Maybe there was a good idea lost in there somewhere, or maybe that was just an ectoplasm.
½ January 6, 2018
This was a horrible movie. There were too many loose ends and plot holes to understand the theme the movie was trying to create. Did not leave me with a good feeling or a spooked feeling, it just left me frustrated with how many loose ends there were. The trailer was so misleading and frankly was better then the actual movie. I would rather watch paint dry, Kristen Stewart has the same personality as the paint so there's no difference.She needs to stop feeling herself and learn how to bea good actor.
½ January 1, 2018
7 7 7 6 7 7 6 6 6 6 = 65
December 31, 2017
genre-shifting slow, introspective movie about grief, loneliness and our hopes for afterlife. Stunning performance by Kristen Stewart - fascinating to watch her. A headphone alone-watch kinda movie.
½ December 27, 2017
Boring, no conclusion to the film, if I could give it a negative star I would.
December 26, 2017
Quite good! This one is actually frightening, leaving me with a lingering fear.
½ December 25, 2017
Worst garbage ever! I'd like my time back please. The movie goes no where and jumps around with little dialogue between characters.