Personal Shopper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Personal Shopper Reviews

½ September 25, 2017
The Tomatometer is crazy, this film doesn't deserve more than 50%... It's boring and not scary at all. Kristen Stewart is always great and that's what made this film somehow watchable.
September 20, 2017
Sometimes a movie puts you on the fence. At one second you say it was ok, but the next you say what did I just watch. 'Personal Shopper' has another intense performance from Kristen Stewart, but the mystery is revealed so casually after a build-up that was so strong. Olivier Assayas writes and directs a movie that goes in many different directions, but can't find peace with itself. An unsatisfying finish leaves us with a movie that has intrigue but can't complete the job. Final Score: 5.7/10
½ September 18, 2017
Kristen Stewarts bland performance drags down an already ify movie into the mediocre realm.
Grade: C-
½ September 10, 2017
First and foremost, Kristen Stewart is really great in this film. This and her performance in "Clouds of Sils Maria" are by far her best performances I've seen from her. However, I can't quite say the same about the film as a whole, in fact, it suffers from tonal inconsistency and narrative flaws. The film works best when it's dealing with Maureen trying to communicate with his recently-deceased brother and all the supernatural stuff. There are a lot of interesting ideas about afterlife and people dealing with grief; it has this great sense of ambiguity and I just wish it focused more on Maureen communicating with spirits and less on her dealing with creepy texts. While it's not as coherent as I wanted it to be and there are things in the film that don't quite work, I did not know where it was going and I was consistently intrigued by it. "Personal Shopper" is a unique psychological thriller and Kristen Stewart's performance is what holds it together.
½ September 9, 2017
Slow. Boring. Pointless.
½ September 9, 2017
Terrible movie. Paid 99 cents for rental and still feel like I got ripped off.
September 7, 2017
Kristen Stewart's outstanding performance is barely able to save Personal Shopper from being a complete ludicrous delusion from Olivier Assayas.
½ August 29, 2017
Guided by director Olivier Assayas's bleak direction, and Kristen Stewart with possibly her strongest performance to date, "Personal Shopper" is an effectively unsettling thriller.
½ August 27, 2017
A surprisingly enigmatic film that had me wondering where it was gonna go from start to finish. And that was refreshingly good.
½ August 18, 2017
Awful movie. I don't know why people enjoyed this, it honestly disturbed me.
½ August 14, 2017
Interesting buildup, but pretty sure it ultimately falls into the 'Emperor's New Clothes" category.
August 12, 2017
A supernatural mystery I could barely make heads or tails of, but its greatest flaw is that it's just so boring.
August 10, 2017
it wont be for everybody and yes it is slow but its on purpose, it has fantasic elements from different genres but Kristen Stewart proves again shes a great actress. If this movie had alittle more horror elements to it it may be a perfect score. this movie is about her journey on dealing with her brothers death first and fore most
August 10, 2017
Perfect for Spirituality, a beautiful story
August 10, 2017
Texting, shopping and Ghosting!

This film was different. My bad, I did not quite get the title at first. I misunderstood it. I thought it was like a Shopaholic theme, a person with a shopping addiction. Then what I saw was different, and somewhere in the narration it explains what the title meant.

The real challenge watching it is the slow moving storyline. Dull and silent on most of the parts. But the mix of fantasy, like supernatural and regular drama brings interesting fact us to stay with it. Though the most of the film was about texting and shopping. I even thought does it any way connected to Stewart's previous film 'Clouds of Sils Maria'. Because there's something where both the films syncs with.

Despite being a bit boring film, Kristen Stewart is the reason it is watchable. Her performance was good, but again the mystery about the unexplainable things holds us as well. Definitely a watchable film, but not an entertaining film that you are looking for on a weekend. I'm not sure who is the target audience, but surely less people will think it is a fine film. So I hope you choose it carefully.

4/10
½ August 9, 2017
Attempting a bizarre dive into the world of the supernatural, Personal Shopper doesn't have the pacing or narrative coherence to make a true audience connection, and was actually booed by a minority of critics when it was screened at Cannes, before going on to receive significant acclaim. Kristen Stewart, shaking off the stigma of being that irritating, whiney teen in the Twilight franchise, is given a chance to exercise her acting chips, and brings a likable, twitchy vulnerability to the shopper/medium attempting to contact the spirit world with varying results. The film has its tense moments, and a fair share of genuine scares, and builds up a great atmosphere of dread and foreboding. Unfortunately it's often quite aimless and frequently feels like its spinning its wheels until the next creepy scene comes along. The atmosphere of paranoia which the film builds so effectively can be just as easily dismantled with confused plotting and the dissolving of scenes without proper resolution. It's not to everyone's taste, but I really enjoyed all the good stuff it had to offer, and the bad stuff wasn't enough to drag it down. I wouldn't rush to see it again, but it's a fascinating, methodical and calculating film that deserves to be seen at least once, whether you're a paranormal fan or not.
½ August 4, 2017
I still don't quite know how I feel about this movie. It's in need of a second watch. However, from my first viewing of the film I felt that it had some high points but fell flat in others. Again, it will get a re-watch and a second review.
August 4, 2017
"Personal Shopper is something of a mystery indeed, it's such a smart thriller even Hitchcock would be impressed by it."
DVD Movie Review: Personal Shopper
Date Viewed: July 4 2017
Written and Directed By Olivier Assayas (Summer Hours, Carlos, Something in the Air, Clouds of Sils Maria, Demonlover and Boarding Gate)
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Lars Eidinger, Nora Von Waldstätten, Anders Danielsen Lie, Sigrid Bouaziz, Ty Olwin, Audrey Bonnet, Pascal Rambert, Hammond Graia and Benjamin Biolay.

"Personal Shopper" is an intriguing and tasteful thriller that might frustrate people with it's lack of thrills but Kristen Stewart is terrific here as an American personal shopper who partakes in several detours in her late brother's mansion where she hopes to possibly make contact with him. Stewart has really been taking chances lately with these riveting roles. From "Clouds of Sils Maria" to "Still Alice" to "Certain Women" to "Camp X-Ray", she has really put her Bella Swan persona to rest. Stewart is really becoming an actress but the "Twilight" haters don't seem to think so.

It's pacing might be slow but "Personal Shopper" is still a very good movie. Mostly set in Paris, the film centers around Maureen (Stewart), a personal shopper for a really famous fashion model named Kyra (Nora von Waldstätten). Maureen is still grieving over the death of her twin brother, Lewis and she searches any signs of his presence in his old mansion. Lewis' girlfriend, Lara (Sigrid Bouaziz) is planning to sell the mansion and the potential buyers want Maureen to find out if the house is free from ghosts or any spiritual presence.

Suddenly one night, she hears clanking noises and she thinks that it might be the spirit of her brother. She thinks so because both of them had the same genetic heart problem, they were both interested in spiritualism and had connections to their universe. While neglecting her Skype-chatting boyfriend, Gary (Ty Olwin), Maureen gets involved in a bizarre relationship with an unknown texter who keeps texting her a series of personal questions. Could this mysterious person be somebody Maureen knows, we don't know who he is and that's what keeps the movie engaging. On the spiritual stuff involving the twin brother, is he really present in the mansion? Is Maureen really the spirit of her late brother? Or is it just all in her imagination?

The film keeps us intrigued until the very end and the very respected writer and director Olivier Assayas (Summer Hours, Demonlover, Boarding Gate, Something in the Air, Carlos, Clouds of Sils Maria) has crafted a tricky tightrope of a premise. "Personal Shopper" also benefits as an impressive character study and as a chilling thriller. Kristen Stewart's performance is tough to shake off and the movie underpins it's themes of communication, grief and loss solidly well. "Personal Shopper" is something of a mystery indeed, it's such a smart thriller even Hitchcock would be impressed by it.
½ August 3, 2017
I can see why people don't like it, it's a little confused almost splitting in to three different stories at times, but untimely works and is very suspenseful and chilling. Particularly enjoyed the music on the closing credits, which was in itself a brief explanation of the film.
July 30, 2017
not the best from director Oliver Assayas but more of a showcase for Kirsten Stewart
she still has the chops for acting as far as the dramatic angle is concerned
here she plays a medium that can communicate with the deceased so after he twin brother dies she sets out to find him if he is at peace
meanwhile she's shopping for important clients in Europe
the film spends a lot of time lingering with the cold dead air, not a whole lot going on
Stewart's performance is the only highlight even if nothing else is working
you only see spurts of the spirits haunting where she goes and that's about as exciting as it gets
it is about loss and grief and one person trying to get past it
could've been more sinister but Stewart tries her hardest