Pi Reviews

• Sep 25, 2020

PI is an intelligent film that talks about an important and brilliant philosophy, nihilistic and incredible messages, it is a sensational film that will surprise you and make you think a lot, incredible performances and a precise and intriguing script, in addition to the scary atmosphere, simply a masterpiece.

• Aug 20, 2020

A fun movie, for what it's worth. A brilliant mathematician discovers the secret of the stock market, as well as the secret of the Tora, as well as spirals, davinci, and everything else. Everyone wants to get their hands on the number, but it's all in his head. Or is it? I saw this once years ago, didn't make heads or sense of it then, saw it now, pretty much same reaction.

• Jul 17, 2020

This I enjoyed. Aronofsky's first work, he shows themes, styles and substance that are played out in his later works (Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan, The Fountain). It's smart, the characters are quirky and watchable, it has you guessing, and it's not quite about reality but just bouncing in and out of it.

• May 30, 2020

a interesting psychological thriller and great movie

a interesting psychological thriller and great movie

• Apr 22, 2020

I enjoyed the antique computer gear, but the plot was insipid philosophy, and ultimately, boring. The twists and turns were fun, tho.

• Apr 12, 2020

Disturbing, deep inside the mind of a mathematic genius haunted by the numbers that explain the order of the world to him. Close to seeing meaning in the world but unable to pull it all together this is a great study of how a mind can turn mad through numerical obsession. Just doesn't make for enjoyable viewing.

• Feb 19, 2020

Quite captivating! The visual style is great, intelectualy provocative and got me more curious about Pi and universal ratios.

• Feb 17, 2020

I made a list of 216 things that were magnificent about this film. Loved it. Scared by it. Must see.

• Feb 05, 2020

In the late 1990s many great directors broke through with Darren Aronofsky being one of the most famous as he moved from making student films to low budget features. You can see some of the talent that he would bring to Requiem for a Dream (2000) but the film feels unpolished and amateurish in that it has a lot of good ideas but fails to fully develop some of them. There are definitely thriller elements in the film that make it better than most films of it's type as there is some excitement beyond just the discussion of mathematics and it's intersection with religion. He would become a better director over time but if you enjoy Black Swan (2010) or even The Fountain (2006) you will find a lot to appreciate in this film. Mathematician Max Cohen, Sean Gullette, wants to believe that everything in the world can be understood through mathematics even as he lives in a dour apartment and cannot find work. He is mentored by neighbor Sol Robeson, Mark Margolis, who was a successful mathematician in his youth and answers the questions of the young Jenny, Lauren Fox, who is interested in his abilities. Cohen is tortured by the fact that nature can't be reduced to numbers and he comes to believe that 216 is a magical number that will explain everything to him. He encounters rabbi Lenny Meyer, Ben Shenkman, who states that mathematics is related to the Torah and wants Cohen's findings to prove his theories. An agent who wants money to come out of Cohen pays him and provides him with a special computer that will allow him to make his calculations more easily. He begins experiencing headaches due to the great stress he has been placed under and eventually trepans himself to avoid the torture of constantly thinking about mathematics. Tortured geniuses are common in thrillers as they have all of their little idiosyncrasies and may or may not be hallucinating everything allowing for major holes in the film's plot. What makes Cohen such a cipher is the fact that he is so driven by the desire to prove himself and the way that he views life but is totally unable to survive any of the other elements of life. In the presence of women and even people invested in his plight are those that he turns away or simply becomes awkward around. He and his paranoia consume him and despite his skill he finds himself not able to apply his ability because so much of his life is spent in agony in his small room where his fear threatens to consume him. I was disturbed as the idea that even a person who would seem to be exceptional and have talents beyond my wildest dreams could completely fall apart in the face of people. As a socially awkward person but not a genius I could relate to him and although I do not see myself drilling into my head anytime in the future I do have intense breakdowns at random times when I recall uncomfortable social interactions I had two weeks prior. The cinematography and sound design is reminiscent of David Lynch's Eraserhead (1977) and while it is not as viscerally impactful as that film it gets the stressful mood and claustrophobia correct. As Cohen screams in his room and imagines everything from objects to voices coming for him as he lurks in the dark. Aronofsky wears his references on his sleeve her but it is funny to see a director who would develop his own distinctive voice in the future essentially imitate one of his idols. Anybody making a thriller is also incorporating a certain amount of Alfred Hitchcock into their film and as we see our hero make his way through the gloomy streets we are reminded of some of his best films. For those who get annoyed when seeing inexperienced filmmakers ‘steal' from famous directors who they are inspired by these references might annoy them but I am unknowledgeable enough to not care. If not an essential film this is a fun little movie that overreaches at times but has a lot of style and the fresh intensity that comes with a filmmaker itching to get his ideas out into the world.

• Dec 02, 2019

This was my third Darren Aronofsky film. The first was the Noah film, and then I saw Mother! (Fourth, apparently he did Black Swan.) I am getting the drift that he likes themes involving Jewish mysticism or something along that path. I understand that he probably had no budget for this film, but it was still awful. I've seen some decent starter films, but I couldn't get into this.