The Pink Panther Strikes Again - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pink Panther Strikes Again Reviews

February 11, 2009
Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) bumbles his way through another set of adventures in the Pink Panther Strikes Again, a misleading title since the Pink Panther diamond doesn't appear in this chapter of the series (though the cartoon panther does). Former Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Herbert Lom) has been a patient in an insane asylum since the events of Return of the Pink Panther. He escapes and attempts to murder Clouseau, but once again fails at his obsessions. Being unable to take it anymore Dreyfus gets his hands on a doomsday device and demands a ransom from the world- kill Inspector Clouseau or he'll start bringing destruction down on everyone's head. This leads to dozens of assassins hot on Clouseau's trail with hilarious results.

Strikes Again is probably the best Panther film since Shot in the Dark. The movie is filled with some great jokes and prat falls, though there are some moments that fall flat, the positives outweigh the negatives. Once again Sellers is great as Clouseau and the various disguises he employs which usually end up being utterly useless in the long run. Herbert Lom makes great use of his turn to a low rent Bond villain hell bent on killing the inspector. It's almost as if this film is a Bond parody, ahead of its time in some places (the Anglo-Russian affair in this film predates the Spy Who Loved Me by a year).

The Pink Panther Strikes Again is another great platform for Peter Sellers redemption in the 1970's. Though most of the film community had written him off he proved that he still had what it takes to be a comedic genius and a great actor.
½ January 13, 2007
More laughs as Inspector Clouseau manages to avoid assassination......but not on purpose! Very funny moments in this film.
garyX
February 27, 2007
Yet more of the same ham-fisted slapstick.
Hawaiianguy2991
½ April 6, 2010
Peter Sellers' makes the role of the fool look easy - but he is a genius. Strikes Again, in my opinion, is the funniest of the Pink Panther movies when it comes to one-liners and gut-busters. The scene where Clouseau interrogates the Fosbender staff may be one of the funniest things on film - EVER. But the story isn't what makes this movie good (thank goodness). "That is what I have been saying you idiot!" Clouseau's development as a character from the original Pink Panther through the later films is a testament to Sellers' genius. It's such a pity that his career was cut short. Strikes Again is one of his greatest works as Clouseau, and for non-stop laughs this is definitely the most entertaining of the Pink Panther collection.

Story: B+
Acting: A-
Direction: A-
Visuals: B
Overall: B+

***1/2 out of 4 stars
stevetheman1236
½ September 11, 2011
The Pink Panther is a letdown. Not only is it boring, crass, and unappealing, but it thinks that it's being funny while doing all of those things. The slapstick was the same that you'd see in any other movie and there's practically no plot until about an hour in. This is a true disappointment for Blake Edwards, who is a great director.
½ November 29, 2011
"The Pink Panther Strikes Again" is a total letdown. Not only is it boring, crass, and unappealing, but it thinks that it's being funny while doing all of those things. The humor is the same uninspired shtick that you'd see in any other movie and the plot doesn't really begin until about an hour in. This is a true disappointment for Blake Edwards, who is a good director.
½ April 25, 2008
26 assasins try to kill the Inspector and none are able to suceed. It's pretty awesome.
jim222001us
½ August 5, 2007
In one of the funnier sequels, former Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Herbot Lom) is all set to be released from a nuthouse. That is until an hilarious visit from Clouseau (Peter Sellers) drives him mad again. Dreyfus then escapes and has an evil plot to eliminate Clouseau.

Peter Sellers is in good comic form once again and gets a lot of laughs. The movie is stupid funny, while the Steve Martin movies are mostly just stupid.

I admit that there's too many fights between Clouseau and his servant Cato (Burt Kwouk) in the sequels. However, they are still a lot funnier than Jean Reno's surprise attacks on Steve Martin's Clouseau . You can always expect Cato to jump out at him in the movies but he has hilarious timing. That's why it least works, no matter how many times they throw it out at us. While Peter Sellers idea of Kun-Fu is just hilarious.
DrStrangeblog
January 30, 2009
Gaspingly funny, ranks just behind 'A Shot In The Dark' for best of the series. Big gags, small gags, they all seem to work as peerless Peter Sellers is in top form. The Clouseau vs. Cato concept is pure comedy genius and this movie boasts their best sequence of mayhem.
July 4, 2008
Peter Sellers is hilarious as Inspector Clouseau! I laughed out loud throughout the entire movie! Enjoyable!
June 14, 2008
Okay this is a little dumb but so funny at the same time. It is so great to see the that even the full resources of the world is unable to touch Clouseau.
March 5, 2008
if you are going to watch any of these seller as clouseau movies pick of revenge of the pink panther its so much better
January 8, 2010
Clouseau become the main character in this movie. Re-watching the original as an adult was mind blowing.
½ May 24, 2007
This was the second of the 1970's Pink Panther movies and the next to last one before Peter Sellers died. I first saw this movie at a Pink Panther Film festival at the Oklahoma State University Student Union. By the time I saw this one I had seen three other Peter Sellers movies and my ribs were hurting I was laughing so hard. There is not much of a story, just an excuse for a series of comedy skits with Peter Sellers. It came out in a Presidential election year so they had actors imitate Gerald Ford and Henry Kissinger. They tried to show the President as a clumsy oaf. The movie came out after the election so Jimmy Carter had already been elected. The entertainment industry had already spent a year making fun of Gerald Ford's clumsiness. Some people think that's why Ford lost the election. When I got my first Laser Disc player the Pink Panther movies were the first Discs I bought.
June 13, 2012
THe gags are a little slapstick, but thanks to tasteful dirrection and great actors it all works out and becomes funny.
½ March 27, 2012
Having gone insane due to Clouseau's inept detective work and clumsiness by the end of the previous film, Dreyfuss is finally feeling well enough to leave the mental institution, until Clouseau arrives and inadvertently undoes all the work the hospital has done for him. He escapes and sets up a criminal organization bent on killing Clouseau, who has now taken over as Chief Inspector in Dreyfuss' absence. It is actually a really funny film, up there with the first two and Returns. I enjoyed this as much as I had Returns, if I'm being honest. It is probably much more wacky than the other films, upping the silliness and physical humor. It is a goofy film, but an enjoyable entry.
½ March 25, 2009
Peter Sellers still seems to lack his original vigour and enthusiasm for the role, but this film's idiotic silliness is much more on the mark than "Return". The plot was almost Bond-inspired with its power-mad villain and sexy foreign seductress, but Clouseau just isn't the character type for that kind of story. I thought the Gerald Ford scenes were a bit caricatured and unnecessary, and the special effects were pretty cheap, but overall this is still a light and entertaining comedy.
½ March 1, 2009
awesome movie, THE best. I don't want to even see the movies with Steve Martin, peter sellers is THE best
½ June 29, 2008
very funny brittish movie and series never saw a pink panther lol peter sellers was great good clean fun
March 13, 2007
Charles Dreyfus escapes from the mental asylum and tries to kill Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau. He doesn't succeed at first, so he takes on another strategy, namely to build a Doom's Day machine and demand that someone else kills Jacques Clouseau, or Dreyfus will use the machine to wipe out whole cities and even whole countries... With about 22 assassins from all over the globe on his tail, Clouseau decides to find Dreyfus alone and put him back in the mental asylum.