Pitch Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pitch Black Reviews

April 29, 2018
The beginning sucks, but the overall film is good and reinforces that we must always have the courage to put the lives of others before our own.
½ February 5, 2018
Not as thrilling as I hoped it would be considering its premise which nearly squandered the initial pitch into a decent survival ride of the usual foredoom and sci-fi storm with minimal thrills, captivating visuals and a promising breakthrough performance for Vin Diesel's stardom. (B)

(Full review TBD)
January 29, 2018
It's a really bad movie with really bad actors, still in there there is a bit of charm that permitted me to finish it without fast forwarding it. It's something I guess
January 6, 2018
Entertaining and Suspenseful SciFi Thriller!
½ December 31, 2017
110412: The beginning of the Riddick series, Pitch Black is a decent film that provides simple, violent entertainment. Though there is at least one questionable moment to the plot, overall the story is not bad. I was a bit surprised at the final outcome, who survives and such. I find Diesel's characters and acting a bit extreme at times but it's tolerable here. Enjoy.
½ April 1, 2017
That bad sci-fi cgi action movie from early 00's. On the other hand, it doesn't take itself too seriously and has some cool one-liners.
½ March 15, 2017
Classic. Vin Diesel's break through flick. Riddick was a great character, and Diesel nailed it.
March 6, 2017
Excellent premise, but the execution and acting are severely lacking.
½ January 11, 2017
Badass cult classic...
January 7, 2017
Creative twist on the sci-fi horror genre. Good effects, good acting, interesting story, fearsome creatures...well worth the time.
½ January 1, 2017
Quite a good movie. Vin Diesel once did films that weren't Fast N Furious.
November 24, 2016
Thank goodness the dried up, pathetic denizens of Rotten Tomatoes really don't matter. As most of the movies they don't "like" it's a lot of fun and a good watch. Don't skip over this one because some hateful, grouchy, crusted up reviewer couldn't find any more joy in their heart.
October 25, 2016
The movie that started the franchise. A lot of fun but dated a bit now. Interesting characters, although rather two dimensional. Still.... love it.
October 3, 2016
A curiously offbeat sci Fi movie that has Viin Diesel as a dangerous convicti being transferred, along with a motley of other characters from planet to planet. When the spaceship they're traveling on crashes, we find out who the characters are and how they must survive in order to survive what's on the planet with them. Strangely stark, sometimes dull, and sometimes, I don't know, just a bit of putting, this could have used a little more splash in terms of special effects and music. Maybe this is rectified in the later sequels?
September 4, 2016
A great movie, for the time the special effects are amazing and the idea is very different and unique. The trilogy is entertaining and is always good to watch.
½ August 3, 2016
I haven't watched this movie since I saw it when it was first released on DVD some 15 years ago. It's still enjoyable enough but it feels very dated. Pretty well done for a $23 million budget, but admittedly it borrows a lot from those films that came before it.
July 22, 2016
A decent B-horror film that was ruined by its sellout, greed-inspired ending.
July 7, 2016
Could not get into this film at all. Would not watch again. Poor.
July 3, 2016
Crikey, I saw 'Pitch Black' at the cinema when I was at college. It's a good pic, and even though I've seen it far too many times since then to fully enjoy it as much as I once did, I recall liking it very much the first time and my initial impressions were very favorable, as were also the reactions from my friends who saw it at the time. Made on a relative shoe string, the fairly low budget effects are used minimallistically and to good effect, and have consequently aged well in spite of the budget constraints. Plus, the cast do their parts well with some decent play off and tension, particularly between Riddick and Johns.