Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
Steve Martin is a professional on his way home by airplane to Chicago just in time to be with his family for Thanksgiving. While on the plane, he's seated next to the slobbish and obnoxious John Candy. When the flight is grounded and delayed, the two newly introduced men are very determined to find a way to get home so they partner up to fulfill their journey. Martin's character soon leans his new road companion isn't the ideal roommate. This road adventure is a true classic with career performances by Martin and Candy.
August 2, 2016
A movie totally commanded by its two leading actors, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of the comedies that you can never miss; repeated viewings are almost inevitable. Pure comedy gold-dust, certainly both John Candy and Steve Martin's greatest movies to date.
Verdict: A+
July 18, 2016
Minus one star for the terrible music and one too many gay panic jokes.
July 17, 2016
A hilarious buddy comedy that somehow is a tearjerker.
½ June 19, 2016
Touching road trip film.
½ June 13, 2016
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a great movie. Steve Martin and John Candy are comedy gold. I think this is both of theirs best movie. The plot and the movie is hilarious. It is impossible not to laugh. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 2, 2016
Changing gears from teen comedy, John Hughes' writing and directions provides the audience a dark comedy that some of us can relate all to well to.
Shane Sackman
May 31, 2016
A thoroughly engaging and zany comedic masterpiece. The mesmorizing chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy is a near perfect comedy pairing. John Candy is in true form in one of the signature roles of his career; the deeply funny, mostly clueless and thoroughly kind Del Griffith. The perfect foil to Steve Martin's crass, pessimistic and sarcastic Neal Page. Weaker actors might not have been able to elevate this pairing to such lofty heights, but these two comedy legends deliver.

John Hughes was also well in touch with his inner muse when he penned this outrageously funny and surprisingly emotional screenplay. John Hughes was a master at crafting loveable and believable characters. The dynamic between the clueless bungler and the cold cynic works so well because you cannot help but love both characters for what they are and what they represent. I've always believed Hughes had an uncanny ability to beautifully capture something profoundly real and human in all his movies.

This special touch elevates what on paper is an excellent comedy into something special and memorable. Hughes makes you feel not just the laugher and joy of a great piece of cinema, but, if ever so briefly, draws you into the narrative as if you are hearing the story from a loved one or reliving the comedic memories of a close family member. This warm core is what pushes planes above the usual comedic fare. A remakeable and hilarious film.
½ May 27, 2016
Odd Couple hits the road in this offbeat comedy
½ May 23, 2016
"Planes, Trains And Automobiles" is a charmingly acted on-the-road comedy that does the very typichal thing of having everything, like clock-work go all wrong with a typichal idylic ending that both satisfies but also almost disgust you with its very familiar cuteness.
½ May 23, 2016
A very funny comedy with Martin and Candy. It's also a great movie to watch for Thanksgiving!
½ May 22, 2016
"Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is a lighthearted comedy with a touch of sweet moments that relies heavily (and mostly succeeds) on the great chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy. A great 80s comedy. 3.5/5 stars
May 15, 2016
4/5 - a comedy classic!
½ April 26, 2016
Having watched John Hughes 80s classic The Breakfast Club last year, and loving the hell out of it, I was excited to see another of his most renowned films. Planes, Trains & Automobiles is well-paced, genuinely touching and effortlessly funny, taking a simple premise of being stuck with a good hearted yet totally insufferable travel companion and wringing out as many laughs as possible out of it. Martin & Candy are terrific in their respective roles, both turning in realistic portrays of the men they're playing. It's a situation we've all experienced, and Martin has all the right reactions to his overbearing new friend. Then again, we've all approached strangers with excess enthusiasm at some point in our lives, so the aspects of Candy's character ring true as well. The latter also exercises his dramatic chops, and each time he comes across as perfectly genuine. There may be a few moments which are a little gushy, but for the most part the film does enough to earn them. It has some excellent cut away jokes that have you laughing instantly, and while some of the scenarios stretch believability a little too far, overall it's a sweet, often hilarious flick about the importance of acceptance and seeing the good in people. A true comedy classic.
April 10, 2016
Steve Martin make even worst movie good, just by his acting. But this comedy is far from the worst, on the contrary it is quite opposit.This one is up there at special level, beyond all levels. It is level that transcends all levels :-) Up there on this level are all timeless classics like this, One of best comedies ever !
March 22, 2016
I enjoyed this movie. It was quite laugh out loud but sadly, a bit dated. It is not an evergreen movie like My Cousin Vinny. I think Steve Carell is quite over-hyped. John Candy was amazing though. Somehow I felt I had seen it before. Anyway, Definitely a watch for general fun and light-hearted comedy.
March 16, 2016
Absolutely love this movie. Steve Martin and John Candy make a perfect couple.
March 16, 2016
John Hughes's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is another classic effort by him that brings out the unlikely combination of Steve Martin and John Candy. The plot is really good, and the writing by John Hughes is terrific that it's surprising that he can come up with a lot of situations that makes it believable. Steve Martin and John Candy are terrific in this, and their chemistry is flat out hilarious, very well done, and is the best part of the film. It's very funny, and it has some subtle moments that were cleverly done to an extent of hilarity. The soundtrack is well done, and the characters are very developed. It's very interesting, and is very entertaining to watch that Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is probably one of the funniest films I've seen that's smart, has a ton of good jokes, and a heart to satisfy the viewers.
March 14, 2016
This is one of greatest movies ever I love the movie 5 ***** tars.