Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Reviews

½ January 13, 2018
There are funny moments but it's a surface-based movie. Meaning it doesn't go deep. What you see is what you get and it's kind of boring and predictable. Kind of heartfelt and sentimental at the end which was nice. Sort of a typical American comedy movie with spoofs and gaffs but not too many laughs.
January 11, 2018
Fantastic comedy masterpiece
December 29, 2017
One of the best holiday movies out there. Not a scene is wasted in this cross country adventure.

The hotel scene and the pick up truck scene has me laughing every time. Must watch every thanksgiving
December 26, 2017
Great performance. Funny must see film.
½ December 25, 2017
Good movie for its time but over the past decades their have been so many rehashes of this movie and I was too late to watch this movie so I thought this movie was alright but if I lived during the time this movie came out then I would like it probably but because john Hughes rehashed this concept a little in the home alone movies were the mom try's to come back home.
December 24, 2017
Greatest comedy ever made!
½ December 22, 2017
This is a near perfect comedy, I loved every second of this movie. These comedic legends (Steve Martian) & (John Candy) really make you believe these characters. The movie funnier every time you watch it, and it's just as funny now, in 2017 as it was 30 years earlier in 1987.
½ December 19, 2017
Steve Martin and John Candy give a hilarious, heartfelt performance in this holiday comedy.
December 4, 2017
On my list of all time favorite holiday movies. If you've ever traveled over the holidays, you can relate and both cry and laugh with Steve Martin and John Candy. John's best performance as a movie star. Bring tissue for the ending.
December 4, 2017
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and buses and trucks) is a movie that sends one simple yet powerful message: toss in a couple of F-bombs in one scene and people will stop thinking that all you do is movies about teen angst. It's still funny. Two polar opposites, who continously run into each other. Steve Martin is a cynical guy who just wants to be home for Thanksgiving, John Candy is more optimistic and cheerful despite his nonstop talkative nature. This is one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen, as Martin's character seems to hilariously hapless as everything goes wrong for him to the point where he says "That's it! I'm making this movie R!! PG-13's overrated anyway!!!" The soundtrack always plays at the right times and it also has heart as the chemistry between Martin and Candy help develop their characters, especially Martin's into being more likable and the beautiful execution of its ending. I may have been a week late to watch and review this movie but at least I watched it. Thanksgiving and Christmas are close to each other and in December, I like to do a tradition of mine of watching Christmas movies. And I enjoyed it a lot more than I hoped I would.
November 28, 2017
A season must see. Candy, Martin, and Hughes at their best.
½ November 26, 2017
A few tonal inconsistencies can't stop the enjoyment of this hilarious, heartfelt holiday film. Steve Martin and John Candy share incredible chemistry together and own their roles. The film also contains some truly unique sequences of humor that still stay just as funny to this day. Thanks to John Hughes' amazing filmmaking and the perfectly casted stars, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles remains a great, fun holiday classic that'll make you laugh and pull your heart strings the whole way.
½ November 26, 2017
Classic comedy that has always been one of my favorites! John Candy and Steve Martin really work together well in this flick!
November 23, 2017
Heartwarming and hilarious, planes trains and automobiles is the perfect holiday movie
November 23, 2017
One of my most favorite movies ever thanks to John Hughes' writing and Steve Martin and John Candy's perfect chemistry, Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a hilarious and heartwarming classic.
November 22, 2017
A Thanksgiving tradition, the night before
½ November 18, 2017
Classic 80s buddy comedy about two travelers whose paths keep crossing during a chaotic thanksgiving trip home. Just one of the those films you could watch over and over without getting tired of the jokes and situations they have to go through. Steve Martin is excellent but John Candy does the impossible and out-acts him with his unique, annoying yet lovable character Del. He'll never be forgotten for this performance. Highly quotable and with a sweet melancholic touch in the end, this is a real feel good movie. They just don't make such films anymore. Easily one of the funniest flicks ever, I can't think of one film from the last 10 years that could even get close.
½ November 18, 2017
Funny, heartfelt and a definite holiday favorite, Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a terrific 80's road trip comedy classic that is memorable for the delightful signature chemistry between beloved comedians Steve Martin and John Candy.
November 17, 2017
Comedy classic that ranks as one of the finest ever made but probably the only really great Thanksgiving movie. Steve Martin & John Candy are perfect together, making one of the best comic pairings in movie. Martin plays straight man perfectly, giving Neal Page the right mix of rationality yet snobbishness, while Candy made Del Griffith both lovable & obnoxious at the same time. As a result, you understood both sides of the character, creating perfect comic conflict. Behind the camera, John Hughes crafts a hilarious but heartfelt comedy about two guys just trying to get home for Thanksgiving, and while some scenarios are dated in the age of smart phones & Uber, the message still holds up, from sharing hotel rooms to night road trips. Hughes also adds the right mix of heart (Neal & Del actually have it out in the first act of the film), making a film that is ultimately sweet but not over doing it. Overall, a true comedy classic and a must for every Thanksgiving, since it's the only good movie about the holiday to date.