Planes, Trains and Automobiles Reviews

MANUGINO
March 3, 2009
Steve Martin had no reason to panic...until John Candy came along.

Good Comedy! Steve Martin and John Candy don't just act; they embody themselves so deeply in their characters that it almost sets a standard for how comedic pairings should be. Planes... is a heart warming film about family, friendship and good will towards men. It is also a wickedly funny movie and it will stand the test of time and I think in 30 or 40 years from now, it may be looked upon as Hughes best film. Candy and Martin are wonderful in here and it is really a treat to watch them work together.

All that Neal Page wants to do is to get home for Thanksgiving. His flight has been cancelled due to bad weather, so he decides on other means of transport. As well as bad luck, Neal is blessed with the presence of Del Griffith, Shower Curtain Ring Salesman and all-around blabbermouth, who is never short of advice, conversation, bad jokes, or company. And when he decides that he is going the same direction as Neal....
blkbomb
½ January 19, 2013
Del: You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

"What he really wanted was to spend Thanksgiving with his family. What he got was three days with the turkey."

In ways, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles was exactly what I thought it would be; extremely hilarious, with some solid dialogue, weird situations, and slapstick humor. In other ways, it wasn't at all like I thought it would be, mainly because of a heart warming ending, which was actually really well done. Combining what I expected and what I didn't together, this film was better than I could have imagined. It doesn't only work because of one or two reasons, but numerous ones.

Neal is New York for meeting two days before Thanksgiving and expects to make it back to Chicago on the 6 pm flight. When that winds up being delayed and then re-routed to Wichita, Kansas, he his in for the trip of a life time. The whole way, he has Del with him and that only makes matters worse for Neal. Del is one of those guys who never shuts up and spends the entire runtime driving Neal crazy. The story sees the two travel half way across the country, then halfway across again to get home. Along the way, they get into weird situation after weird situation. Will Neal get home in time for Thanksgiving?

A major reason this film works so well is the comedic brilliance of Steve Martin and John Candy. They are both doing some of the best work of their careers together here. Their screen presence is brilliant and they're so in synch with one another.  This is one of my new favorite John Hughes movies too. It's right up there with The Breakfast Club.

It's easy to see why Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is such a beloved classic. It's beyond funny, it's smart while being stupid at the same time, and it has a heart that few comedies like this do. It seems like a movie in the hands of someone else, would have just been mean spirited. But it isn't. Through everything that happens to these two characters, there's always a sense of "feel good" spirit radiating from every inch of the film. It's a must, must see.
August 8, 2007
Possibly THE best Martin and Candy comedy made, so many classic laughs, classic dialog and some classic scenes which are simply perfect comedy played out by two perfect comedians.
On top of that you have the usual excellent soundtrack to really bring home that road trip feel, the whole film has that lovely cozy Christmas glow (I know its Thanksgiving hehe) to it which Hughes seems to manage in all his films. Again he manages to create a very warm kind heart to his film which is brought home by the quite beautiful ending which always brings a smile to your face as you wipe away the odd tear.

Near enough the perfect comedy, no joke, it really is everything you could want from a film, the only problem is I always want to see more adventures from the duo.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 8, 2011
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a John Hughes classic. After seeing most of films, you realize how great John Hughes was at crafting a solid comedy film. Planes, Trains and Automobiles has a great cast of talented comedians. The late John Candy is absolutely great in his role, and like every one of his films, he really shines in this film. Candy was one of the rarest examples of comedian. His talent couldn't be matched. After seeing this film, I think you'll agree. Director John Hughes, who normally directed teen comedies, succeeds at transitioning from his usual genre to a more "adult" oriented comedy. Planes, Train and Automobiles has the wacky comedy writing that we are used to with John Hughes films, and the fact that he was able to deliver a comedy that will appeal to adults. John Hughes was a tremendous film maker, an artist. He knew how to turn a dramatic situation into a comedic situation, and more important of all, he was able to get through to his audience no matter what age demographic. Planes, Trains and Automobiles, is a classic Hughes comedy. With the talents of the late great John Candy and Steve Martin, you have a memorable, fun, and sometimes sad comedy that is simply a great film to watch during the festivities. This is yet another memorable comedy film from John Hughes. The only thing that sucks about John Hughes is that, it's hard to pick a favorite, and I mean that as a compliment. All of his films were great entertainment, and Planes, Train and Automobiles is a great transition from his earlier works. A great comedy film.
½ August 2, 2006
Not exactly what I was expecting from this 80's Comedy Classic and yet it still made for easy watching tv.
½ December 10, 2006
A bit dated (OK, a lot), but far better than 2010 rip-off Due Date. This is light, funny fare but also very human and unexpectedly touching. Del Griffith (John Candy) plays who has to be the worst travel companion ever in the history of vehicles; he's not specially endearing or anything, in fact, he's extremely irritating, but you can't help but sympathize with the way Candy portrays him. Steve Martin is even better. His tirade at a car rental desk is a celebration of the word "fuck" (the word and its derivatives are uttered an astounding 18 times during the one-minute sequence). Planes, Trains and Automobiles deserves a watch just for that hilarious breakdown. Dylan Baker is also memorable in a very brief but extremely funny turn: probably the biggest laugh in the film.
CloudStrife84
May 6, 2007
Comical virtuosos John Candy and Steve Martin star in this brilliantly hilarious road movie, about an advertising executive (Martin), who runs into all sorts of obstacles when trying to get home to his family in Chicago. What I love about this film (among a high number of other things), is that it doesn't try too hard to be funny. It just succeeds with that naturally, with its masterfully executed gags and memorable antics. The biggest credit, of course, goes to Candy and Martin, whose wonderful interplay is the heart and soul of the movie. One is an easily-irritated cynic, and the other a high-spirited blabbermouth, which becomes the basis for a great many hilarious moments. Just some of the faces that Steve Martin makes are absolutely priceless. A film where top notch humor is not an exception, but dominates the entire story. There's just so much to enjoy about it, and despite having been around for more than two decades, it never grows old and tired. In fact, it's like a fine bottle of wine that only gets better with time. And hey, that even rhymes! So if you're one of the poor, unfortunate souls who happened to have missed it, well, then I hope this review may spur you to check it out. Because in all sincerity, it deserves nothing less than my warmest recommendation. A laughter-fest of a movie, and my all-time favourite comedy by the legendary John Hughes.

"If I wanted a joke, I'd follow you to the john and watch you take a leak. Now are you gonna help me or are you gonna stand there like a slab of meat with mittons?"
FilmFanatik
March 25, 2007
One of the greatest dramadies ever made. I think the thought of John Candy no longer being with us makes me cry more than the film itself. Not that the film is notorious for being sappy or anything. It's actually a riot, but it's affecting emotionally at times - particularly with John's character arc.
September 6, 2010
This comedy plays on one of those normally small annoyances of travel, that annoying guy sitting next to you who wont stop talking. This John Hughes movie is just as brilliant as his fantastic teen films of the time, and just as hilarious. It has a great cast too. I loved it and I highly recommend it.
½ March 26, 2007
Funny, but overly sentimental
sanjurosamurai
½ January 22, 2007
a pure 80's comedy classic. martin is one of the greatest comedy actors of all time and candy is is always a pure gem on film. this film has inspired so many others, but few other films are as consistently hilarious as this one. excellent.
December 9, 2008
This was genius casting. You wouldn't think it, but this is a cultural, social, and transportation exploitive film.
½ January 10, 2008
A truly special comedy. While admittedly schmaltzy and occasionally going a little too over-the-top, this film is undoubtedly one of John Hughes' best, thanks to two uproarious performances from John Candy and Steve Martin, a nearly perfectly put-together plot, and a fitting, sweet finale. There are so many great comedic scenes in this movie its hard to name them all, you're basically laughing from the very first scene up until the point where the movie decides to get sweet. When it decides to take this route, it doesn't feel forced or artificial, Candy really sells his character - this was by far his best performance in any film.
axadntpron
April 4, 2010
Everything a comedy should be. Hilarious all the way through, heartfelt, wonderfully acted and directed. Most of the lines in this movie are so quotable that I still use them about 12 years after seeing it. This is Hughes, Martin, and Candy in top form. I cannot say a bad thing about this movie.
½ January 14, 2010
Great film! Hilarious! The chemistry between the two guys makes this movie that much funnier!
January 8, 2010
I love this movie for having one of the biggest hearts. John Candy was great and truly gave his best performance, ensuring that he can be just as good a drama as he is at comedy. I love the story, seeing Steve Martin's life crumble before him never seems to get old.
ScoopOnline
December 1, 2009
This is so funny.
½ June 14, 2006
Classic 80s buddy comedy about two travelers whose paths keep crossing during a chaotic thanksgiving trip home. Just one of the those films you could watch over and over without getting tired of the jokes and situations they have to go through. Steve Martin is excellent, and one has to wonder what happened to him in the last few years, but John Candy does the impossible and out-acts him with his unique, annoying yet lovable character Del. He'll never be forgotten for this performance. Highly quotable and with a sweet melancholic touch in the end, this is a real feel good movie. They just don't make such films anymore. Easily one of the funniest flicks ever, I can't think of one film from the last 10 years that could even get close.
September 25, 2009
A huge favourite of mine and certainly Hughes?s best film I believe.
½ September 11, 2009
I've heard a lot of people brag about how funny "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" was all my life, but I never could find it to rent, and I never got the chance to see it on Tv.....until just now. To say the least, I thought "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" was HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!
Mr. Page (Steve Martin) is on his way home to Chicago when Mother Nature throws a few obstacles in his path, keeping him from getting there right away. Even worse (but better for us comedy fans) Mr. Page keeps coincidentally running into a not so rich man named Del Griffith (John Candy). Now, the short-tempered Mr. Page and the overly nice Del, must put up with each other on planes, trains, and automobiles.

From the first minute of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles," all the way to the last minute, it's a classic comedy movie. The reason it's a classic is because it has more hilarious parts in it than three average comedies combined. Once you see most of the hilarious sequences, you'll never forget them, such as when John Candy shows his driving skills, and when Candy and Martin both have to sleep in the same bed in a motel room.

I've seen a lot of great comedy movies and I have a lot of hilarious comedies that I haven't yet seen, but of the many that I have had the opportunity to watch, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is without a doubt on my Top 5 list of the funniest movies of all time. I'm pretty sure that even if I saw every comedy movie ever made, it would still be on that list.

If you like comedy movies AT ALL, trust me, do yourself a favor and purchase "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." You know it has to be a great movie when over 120 reviews have been written for it and it averages 4.7 out of 5 stars. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Possibly a top 5 all time funny movie. I love the "That's not a pillow!" part. LMAOOOOOOOOOOO!