Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Reviews

September 13, 2017
John Candy and Steve Martin star in a funny road trip film that packs a punch. Hughes does a great job keeping the tone light and pacing quick, even though the same sequences are played out multiple times.
September 13, 2017
I picked my father up after he just saw this on the plane and he had tears in his eyes. I thought something was wrong but he said he laughed so hard at this movie and it brought on the reaction. John Candy and Steve Martin should have done more movies together...comic genius.
September 8, 2017
One if the best movies I've ever seen
½ August 13, 2017
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a rare 80's comedy that really works and that truly is a classic for the ages. John Hughes gave us a different movie than usual for him here and thus proved his greatness, but Martin and Candy's performances are also top-notch as is the excellent dialogue and script which balances the humor with a lot of drama and heart. Nifty and thoroughly pleasing, touching and funny, this film certainly is a genre gem.
½ July 26, 2017
A very funny, heartwarming and reassuring movie that leaves you with a smile on your face and a tear in your eye.
July 26, 2017
Absurdly funny and represents what can happen, will happen. This Candy, Martin duo is comedy that last from start to finish in this film. How they get across the U.S. is also a transformation for their characters as they have good character development, especially Martins character. This is a comedy that should be in everyone's comedy/holiday collection.
May 3, 2017
You forget how good this one is when you haven't seen it in a while. Consistently funny. Another fine film from John Hughes. Hard to pick a favourite scene but I think I would go with Candy and Martin's first night in the same room at The Braidwood.
April 28, 2017
A real feel good movie. Great chemistry between Candy and Martin.
March 28, 2017
I love Candy and Martin, so it didn't take and epic film for me to like this one. Even so, it made me laugh and in the end cry for the poor road warrior Candy. So the ending is hardly comedy. But the rest of the film is pure fun.

Two people that couldn't be more different are thrown together by poor luck before Thanksgiving. One is a shower curtin salesman, saavy about all matters traveling. The other a city office dweller with no respect or patience for the other. While struggling to make their way home for the holidays, they actually begin to be a team.

Worthy of watching again and again, with time in between, I recommend this especially if you buy shower curtin rings.
March 20, 2017
The more likeable of Steve Martin's comedies with great support from John Candy
½ January 29, 2017
A very funny comedy with Martin and Candy, and a great movie to watch for Thanksgiving.
½ January 28, 2017
I love Steve Martin and John Candy. This movie was so frustrating at times though!
January 27, 2017
The best road trip movie ever and the finest movie written by John Hughes. You can randomly drop a quote from this movie about anywhere and someone will pick up on it and know right what it was from. I still watch this every Thanksgiving.
December 25, 2016
Still such a classic comedy ??
December 18, 2016
December 2013
December 2016
December 13, 2016
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) C-92m. ?? 1/2 D: John Hughes. Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins. Engaging comedy about an average man (Martin) who has no other choice but to travel with an obnoxious salesman (Candy) on his way home for Christmas. Two comic geniuses give gusto to their roles, and there's plenty of laughs as well as some real truth and perception in this original screenplay by director Hughes. Seriously weakened by a dreadful music score.
November 25, 2016
A timeless classic and one of my favorite comedies ever. My favorite John Hughes film as well. Hollywood has been missing a voice like his forever it seems. Another voice that has been missing is John Candy's. Clearly shows in this that he's not just a comedy actor. He and Steve Martin are brilliant together and effortlessly kill every scene whether it be funny or sentimental. The Martin blowup in the hotel followed by Candy's heart felt speech is one of my all time favorite scenes. The look on Candy's face as Martin is berating him just makes your heart ache. So many classic scenes and one liners throughout an absolutely perfect ending. You really hope the two remained lifelong friends.
November 24, 2016
A Thanksgiving tradition.
½ November 19, 2016
I don't get why this is an enjoyable movie, it's frustrating to watch and I don't see what's the point of this and what can we learn from this?
November 6, 2016
Lots of people I know hate watching "second-hand" embarrassment on film. I believe that whole notion is non-sense but, if you are one of those people, then stay clear of this film. If you like laughing, smiling, and great entertainment, then this is a perfect film for you. Steve Martin and John Candy are such a delight to see together on screen and they have perfect comedic timing. This whole film is full of moments where you will be laughing and smiling from cheek to cheek. The best time to watch this film is when you are feeling down, need to wind down after a long week or long period of stress. Although this film deals with a character dealing with absolutely everything that can go wrong, going worse, it somehow puts you in a wonderful mood. As if to say, you think your life is going bad? Check out Neal Page's life. Last note, I've always said that if a film can get me to sing or dance in my seat, it gets extra points. Oh boy does this film get extra points for one particular scene. I won't spoil it because I believe this film is a must watch for everybody! A perfect comedy!