Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Reviews

December 25, 2016
Still such a classic comedy ??
December 18, 2016
December 2013
December 2016
December 13, 2016
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) C-92m. ?? 1/2 D: John Hughes. Steve Martin, John Candy, Laila Robins. Engaging comedy about an average man (Martin) who has no other choice but to travel with an obnoxious salesman (Candy) on his way home for Christmas. Two comic geniuses give gusto to their roles, and there's plenty of laughs as well as some real truth and perception in this original screenplay by director Hughes. Seriously weakened by a dreadful music score.
November 25, 2016
A timeless classic and one of my favorite comedies ever. My favorite John Hughes film as well. Hollywood has been missing a voice like his forever it seems. Another voice that has been missing is John Candy's. Clearly shows in this that he's not just a comedy actor. He and Steve Martin are brilliant together and effortlessly kill every scene whether it be funny or sentimental. The Martin blowup in the hotel followed by Candy's heart felt speech is one of my all time favorite scenes. The look on Candy's face as Martin is berating him just makes your heart ache. So many classic scenes and one liners throughout an absolutely perfect ending. You really hope the two remained lifelong friends.
November 24, 2016
A Thanksgiving tradition.
½ November 19, 2016
I don't get why this is an enjoyable movie, it's frustrating to watch and I don't see what's the point of this and what can we learn from this?
November 6, 2016
Lots of people I know hate watching "second-hand" embarrassment on film. I believe that whole notion is non-sense but, if you are one of those people, then stay clear of this film. If you like laughing, smiling, and great entertainment, then this is a perfect film for you. Steve Martin and John Candy are such a delight to see together on screen and they have perfect comedic timing. This whole film is full of moments where you will be laughing and smiling from cheek to cheek. The best time to watch this film is when you are feeling down, need to wind down after a long week or long period of stress. Although this film deals with a character dealing with absolutely everything that can go wrong, going worse, it somehow puts you in a wonderful mood. As if to say, you think your life is going bad? Check out Neal Page's life. Last note, I've always said that if a film can get me to sing or dance in my seat, it gets extra points. Oh boy does this film get extra points for one particular scene. I won't spoil it because I believe this film is a must watch for everybody! A perfect comedy!
September 20, 2016
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a familiar tale: a road movie and the hijinks that ensue between two polar opposite personalities. What makes this particular film stand out among the others is what writer/director John Hughes brings to the table. Like with all of his preceding films, those being coming-of-age stories of young adults, Hughes brings a kind of brutal honesty to these characters and their interactions that really leaves a lasting impact. This is first and foremost a comedy, and there's absolutely a lot of laughs and a lot of fun to be had, but Hughes isn't afraid to pack in some emotional outbursts that feel natural for the situation each character is in without feeling melodramatic. When a character is at wit's end, Hughes slows down the comedy to ground the scene in a realistic manner.

Of course, it also helps that the two leads characters, the cynical and selfish Neal Page (Steve Martin) and the optimistic and extroverted Del Griffith (John Candy), are acted with such charm and share delightful chemistry. Martin brings his familiar sense of offbeat absurdist humor to his role, and also is home to many of the aforementioned scenes of emotion as his character faces obstacle after obstacle. Alongside him, Candy is as warm and charming of a presence as ever; he too has his fair share of emotional moments, and the primarily comedic actor absolutely nails them. One doesn't work without the other though: the film is at its finest when the two actors get to banter and crack jokes off one another.

Hughes makes the jump from teen comedy to a new kind of film perfectly, while still keeping the same kind of earnest storytelling of his past works. The trifecta of Hughes, Martin, and Candy make Planes, Trains and Automobiles a comedy classic, and required viewing for fans of any of the three.
September 16, 2016
Steve Martin and John Candy are hilarious!
September 13, 2016
A comedy classic with the right amount of heart, humor and talent. Steve Martin and John Candy's chemistry in this film is just great, it's what makes this movie. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a holiday classic, it seems like it has a christmas feel to it, but even during Thanksgiving, this film is worth watching every year during the holidays.
½ August 20, 2016
Steve Martin is a professional on his way home by airplane to Chicago just in time to be with his family for Thanksgiving. While on the plane, he's seated next to the slobbish and obnoxious John Candy. When the flight is grounded and delayed, the two newly introduced men are very determined to find a way to get home so they partner up to fulfill their journey. Martin's character soon leans his new road companion isn't the ideal roommate. This road adventure is a true classic with career performances by Martin and Candy.
August 2, 2016
A movie totally commanded by its two leading actors, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of the comedies that you can never miss; repeated viewings are almost inevitable. Pure comedy gold-dust, certainly both John Candy and Steve Martin's greatest movies to date.
Verdict: A+
July 18, 2016
Minus one star for the terrible music and one too many gay panic jokes.
July 17, 2016
A hilarious buddy comedy that somehow is a tearjerker.
½ June 19, 2016
Touching road trip film.
½ June 13, 2016
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is a great movie. Steve Martin and John Candy are comedy gold. I think this is both of theirs best movie. The plot and the movie is hilarious. It is impossible not to laugh. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 2, 2016
Changing gears from teen comedy, John Hughes' writing and directions provides the audience a dark comedy that some of us can relate all to well to.
Shane Sackman
May 31, 2016
A thoroughly engaging and zany comedic masterpiece. The mesmorizing chemistry between Steve Martin and John Candy is a near perfect comedy pairing. John Candy is in true form in one of the signature roles of his career; the deeply funny, mostly clueless and thoroughly kind Del Griffith. The perfect foil to Steve Martin's crass, pessimistic and sarcastic Neal Page. Weaker actors might not have been able to elevate this pairing to such lofty heights, but these two comedy legends deliver.

John Hughes was also well in touch with his inner muse when he penned this outrageously funny and surprisingly emotional screenplay. John Hughes was a master at crafting loveable and believable characters. The dynamic between the clueless bungler and the cold cynic works so well because you cannot help but love both characters for what they are and what they represent. I've always believed Hughes had an uncanny ability to beautifully capture something profoundly real and human in all his movies.

This special touch elevates what on paper is an excellent comedy into something special and memorable. Hughes makes you feel not just the laugher and joy of a great piece of cinema, but, if ever so briefly, draws you into the narrative as if you are hearing the story from a loved one or reliving the comedic memories of a close family member. This warm core is what pushes planes above the usual comedic fare. A remakeable and hilarious film.
½ May 27, 2016
Odd Couple hits the road in this offbeat comedy