Platoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Platoon Reviews

June 2, 2016
It may not hold today as well as it did back when it was originally released, but "Platoon" is still a great war movie with wonderful performances and one of Oliver Stone's best movies. 4/5 stars
½ May 30, 2016
Love this film. Classic.
½ August 11, 2008
Good performances. Not interesting. Simple as that. I think it paved the way for many war movies attempting to depict the horror of war through excessive violence and little story. ok, war is violent. i knew that. How about a story?
It's never engaging enough to make you think you're watching anything other than a film about vietnam, rather than pulling you into a conflict. A woefully distant film.
Anyway, look for an uber-young pre-Jump Street Johnny Depp.
½ May 10, 2016
Good for the past technologie
½ May 4, 2016
Containing an excellent performance from Charlie Sheen and that of equally great stature in Willem Dafoe, director Oliver Stone's Platoon is fascinating, harrowing, and yet beautifully made at the same time.
½ July 14, 2007
Vietnam war is a disaster to both Vietnamese and Americans. The war scenes are unforgettable, so as the atrocities.
½ January 27, 2014
Of the Vietnam war movies, Platoon sums it up and covers it probably better than all the others. Although competition for the top spot is tight, between Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, We Were Soldiers and Platoon, it's this one that takes it to the jungle with the band of soldiers who are trying to keep hold of their humanity, and those who have all but lost it, and is the staple for Vietnam on screen. It's not just based around a battle like We Were Soldiers, it's not a rare special mission like Apocalypse Now, and not based on a single incident like Casualties of War, it's a very unique story that falls onto a single platoon of soldiers as they fight to survive many things, including each other, and up there in some of the best war movie stories with Saving Private Ryan. The action is good, looks good, with good cinematography, although by today's standards takes a hard hit due to pretty lame sound effects, even though it won an academy award for it in 1986. The action isn't the centre of the movie however, as that falls to the story and the conflicts between the men as they both take sides with who is in the right and wrong, and start a deadly civil war that quietly takes place within the platoon. The death of Elias is probably one of the best and most memorable in film, while that or Barnes is simple and bittersweet. It is however still a great movie and for me the best representation of Vietnam, with some good actors and acting, many of them at the start of their careers.
April 1, 2016
Platoon is a good film, but it doesn't really do much to separate itself from the rest of the pack of Vietnam War movies from around that time. Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe give great performances, even if the rest of the cast is fairly one-dimensional. I guess this Best Picture winner is deserving of that award, even if my personal favorite movie from 1986 is Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
April 1, 2016
30 years on and it's still an amazing film.
March 30, 2016
A very hard movie to watch. But pure magnificence . You see why we hate war and yet you are pulled into this movie so deep. It messes with your emotions in so many ways, I can't say enough good stuff about it,
½ December 14, 2014
This is a pile of excrement.
½ May 15, 2015
While "The Deer Hunter" will always be one of the greatest war films of all time, everything it did, "Platoon" did better.
February 27, 2016
Platoon is the war film that will make you feel the gruesome experiences that the soldiers who fought the Vietnam War felt.
February 22, 2016
This movie shows perfectly how lifeless, uninteresting, shallow and pointless war is, because of how lifeless, uninteresting, shallow and pointless Oliver Stone's movie ''Platoon'' is. (Not, in a good way)

Also ''Platoon'' uses sets that are obviously fake, gory f/x that look incredibly cheap, and explosions that look clearly staged, on top of that it utilises special movie making tropes that made an earlier and better vietnam war-movie ''Apocalypse Now'' stand out, but makes this movie look like a cheap knock-off and gimmicky.

''Platoon'' is not a bad movie and surely has its good parts, but overall not as great as everyone claims it to be, with the absurd amount of Oscars it won, and undeserved Nominations for Dafoe and Berenger. ''Platoon'' is by a long shot not the best picture of 1986.
February 19, 2016
Platoon is one of the greatest war films of all times with great performances from Charlie Sheen, Willem Defoe and others which creates very likeable characters. The score for this movie suits it perfectly and the narrative and journey you go through with these character is heart breaking and worryingly realistic. Superb!
½ October 11, 2006
Okkkkk I don't like war movies but I watched it because it's a "classic" whatever it's fine for a war movie.
½ February 17, 2016
A tipid, characterless, unrealistic anti-war tragedy..
October 1, 2011
A powerful and intimate war film that gets to the heart of how it felt to be a soldier in Vietnam. The cast, headed by Dafoe and Berenger, is excellent, although I dislike Charlie Sheen as a dramatic actor. No matter, it's one of the great war films.
January 29, 2016
a classic one of my all time favs
½ January 26, 2016
Platoon is one of those quintessential war films. It's one of the most important films of the 1980's to cinema and as such, one of the most remembered and cult films of all times. The entire story is essentially narrated from a future Charlie Sheen retelling as well as you see him directly living it as he talks about himself and others of his recount of the Vietnam War and his personal and his platoon or regiment's experiences.

It does a pretty good job of breaking up the action sequences with dramatic or just straight talking scenes. This film is probably a fictitious retelling and generally has to do with the inner struggles of the platoon. There's a lot of good actors in this, and some you may haven't heard about because they weren't main or supporting characters like the most minor roles I've ever seen played by Tony Todd and Johnny Depp.

If you were to talk to your friends about this film and what they remember, they probably wouldn't remember right away that those and some others were actually in this film. I wasn't fully entertained by this film, but I can appreciate how put together it was. This may be the greatest acting performance and the most important acting role that Charlie Sheen has ever played in his career.

I've seen a lot of his works, and acting-wise, it was him who drew me to wanting to watch this film and own it in the first place. His storytelling and acting in this film is superb and the scene with the Vietnamese girl is probably one of his best along with the scene pretty much at the end of the film.