Platoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Platoon Reviews

½ March 8, 2018
The bleakness and destruction in "Platoon" are all Heavily influenced by Oliver Stone's first-hand experience of Vietnam.
March 1, 2018
I love how chill and nonchalant everything seems at the beginning. It's a great opening. Introducing all the characters. I love the almost documentary-like handheld camera feel of the movie. It makes it eel like your really there.

The political commentary is nice. The use of sound in this movie is so brilliant. It psychologically messes with you. Like the use of what sounds like a propane tank spilling out gas during intense moments.

Wow, that village scene was powerful. To see how much power the soldiers had and how they abused it. To see how brainwashed they are, it's a pretty fucking scary thought. I love Willem Dafoe's character. He's like Buddhist. Tom Berenger's character is also very intersting. He's pretty wicked.

Overall, great war film. Really liked how they were able to get the points across that they did. Pretty haunting and wicked movie about the psychological terrors that come with fighting in a war.
February 25, 2018
everybody got one..

Embracing and projecting the vulnerability, jealous and empathy Platoon is a fast paced character driven feature that has merely an idea on which it walks for 2 hours but gets in deep with the characters and explores more than expected. Writer-Director Oliver Stone captures some raw brutal scenes and attempts in empowering the characters through it, creating a perfect arc for the plot line but fails to ask for attention and offer gripping screenplay to the audience. Charlie Sheen seems a bit unsuitable for his protagonist role and doesn't quite justify its character whilst Willem Dafoe breathes life into the character and is outstanding as a supporting cast. Platoon takes big leaps on its first act and slows down on its second one until which the track becomes predictable on its climatic sequence.
February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 19, 2018
A Very Very Good Movie
February 11, 2018
Solid war movie with a great cast all at the top of their game. Near top of career performances by each actor Dafoe, Sheen, Berenger
February 1, 2018
A classic, unmissable war film.
½ January 29, 2018
The movie is well made but Oliver Stone picking on Vietnam Vets - as if they didn't already get kicked around enough by this country - really pissed me off. Why didn't he just call them baby killers and spit on them like the hippies did in the 60's? Also perpetuating the lie that the US lost the Viet Nam war.
½ January 12, 2018
é um documento poderoso sobre essa triste guerra, e um filme fascinante.O caos absoluto da guerra é retratado de forma brilhante. Ninguém pode negar esse filme o poder de suas imagens e o peso do terror todo omnipresente que cria.
December 12, 2017
If Platoon doesn?t have the cult status of some other movies on the Vietnam war, it?s not because of the overall quality, because it?s a really great movie. Complex and well directed, no surprise launched the career of Oliver Stone as a Director.
½ November 30, 2017
This movie is 2 hours of pain (in a good way). You don't watch this film to enjoy the experience; you watch it to gain a true understanding that war is hell.
November 16, 2017
Another eighties Vietnam War film and on reflection and a couple of viewings probably the best.
It is from director Oliver Stone, a veteran of the conflict and so perhaps has some elements of personal memories. Awful one's.
Charlie Sheen plays a young soldier, Chris. A college boy from a middle class background who has actually volunteered for enlistment.
Compare his background to many of his comrades from the poorer end of the spectrum.
What Chris witnesses in the war zone is completely depressing. His comrades fight amongst themselves.
Innocent locals are murdered as the stress of jungle warfare eats away at the platoon.
Senior officers argue and fight each other with one using drugs to lessen the mental pain.
The film tries to showcase the misery of war.
I am positive that some of the negative actions of SOME of the soldiers is not a reflection on all.
A powerful indignation of war and the Vietnam conflict in particular.
October 9, 2017
When thinking of Vietnam war films, titles that tend to pop-up are the likes of 'Apocalypse Now', 'The Deer Hunter', 'Full Metal Jacket' etc, however despite these films being powerfully poignant, it's 'Platoon' that focuses more on the war zone in the jungles of Vietnam itself, whereas the aforementioned are more psychologically-focused and tend to sway away from the war zone, 'Platoon' strikes head-on and thrusts us into an open world of death, violence, betrayal and alienation within the US army itself and their war with the NVA.

The one factor that can't be diminished is how realistic 'Platoon' is, and with the film being personally undertaken through Oliver Stone's personal experience whilst fighting in Vietnam, it's clear as to why. Francois Truffaut once famously said that "there's no such thing as an anti-war film", suggesting that movies depicting war will inevitably glorify it nonetheless - had he lived long enough to see 'Platoon', he may have retracted that statement.

Not only does Stone focus on the horrors of war between the US army and the NVA, but also the personal vendettas within the US army itself, namely between Sergeant Barnes and Sergeant Elias, portrayed by Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe respectively in fantastic performances, Berenger in particular who gives a performance like no other. Who would've known you could hate an American sergeant so much... well Berenger sure helped us. The film doesn't glorify war, nor does it glorify the American army, it focuses on the human element, the hard-hitting reality, but also showcasing a divide in the American army between those fighting for a reason, then those who have little-to-no sympathy for those around them.

'Platoon' is powerfully intense, from the opening use of the 'Adagio for Strings', to Dafoe's defining moment, arms outstretched, right through to the intense finale, which unfortunately in my own opinion does feel a little anti-climactic.

Anyway despite the positive aspects of this powerfully-intense film, there are some areas that I personally think it lacks in, thus making it weaker than others in the Vietnam war genre. Now the CGI is something I'm going to skip over due to the time period, but I couldn't help but laugh at the over-the-top lighting effects and the concluding jet that seems to defy the laws of gravity, but I will let this slide. The main reason I haven't selected this film as a masterpiece, despite it being so well-made, is due to the emotional detachment from the story, and to be honest, the little sympathy I had for the film's characters, maybe I'm just heartless, but I feel that there are other war films out there that are more emotionally-poignant and hard-hitting, and as I previously mentioned, the ending felt very anti-climactic. The battle itself is intense and extremely well-executed, but when it comes to the personal one-on-one between Taylor and Barnes, it just falls short. These flaws aside, I can't praise Oliver Stone enough for the harrowing experience that is 'Platoon'.
½ September 19, 2017
Very well put together but missing a grain of sugar, so to speak.
August 30, 2017
Platoon is a very good anti-war film and its anti-war messages are clear throughout. A more realistic and gritty version of what happens on tours such as those (with the army clashing with themselves more so than the enemy), and all this made even better by the brilliant acting on board. Probably a bit too much shouting is my biggest criticism, but that can be expected in a war film.
½ August 15, 2017
Platoon is so much more than just your average war film. This is actually rather intelligent, both in its plot and technical execution. It's the Vietnam War, we follow a platoon of US soldiers as they attempt to wipe out the enemy. The question that this film raises is: who really is the enemy? You have the conflict of the war itself (America against Vietnam) but within the platoon is a conflict for authority. Split between what is right and what is wrong, the moral implications of this war have taken effect on several soldiers as they question their choices. This was a smart element to include within the plot, it was easier to establish character development and build some tension. The majority of the characters were sufficiently developed and their personalities had charisma. This was mostly down to the great cast. Willem Dafoe was easily the best performance, Tom Berenger was also decent and the heated chemistry between them was well conveyed. Charlie Sheen however, didn't work for me. His acting ability consisted of monotonous dialogue delivery and shouting, perhaps he was overpowered by the rest of the great cast? I don't know, just felt meh. Didn't help that his biggest battle was with nature...we're talking ants, leeches and other insects. Obviously, animals love abit of Sheen. Oliver Stone's direction was solid, very realistic and gritty. The makeup effects were practical, the wounds and blown up limbs looked pretty damn realistic. A standout scene was the raiding of the Vietnamese village. This was the turning point where actually the American side were perceived as the antagonists, clearly communicating with our inner moral compasses. Effective, very effective. This is easily one of the best war films I've seen and winning Best Picture was fully justified.
½ August 7, 2017
Boring. I don't like the flow of Oliver Stones films
½ June 30, 2017
Though I couldn't out and out love the film due to the level of cowardice displayed and allowed, I did like the similarities to Lord of the Flies and the how the barbaric acts of the soldiers were not sugar-coated behind hero worship. First time I've loved Willem Dafoe in a movie, not sure if I'd recommend, but it will definitely get you thinking.
½ June 16, 2017
Oliver Stone takes audiences right into the trenches of Vietnam and gets great performances out of Sheen and DaFoe. However, his anti-America/War/government framing doesn't quite fit.
June 9, 2017
Fantastic film portraying the internal conflict soldiers face within themselfs and with each other. Struggles with innocence, morality, duty and what is "right" in a chaotic war zone make Platoon much deeper than just another entertaining war film.