Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) Reviews

April 12, 2018
Vibrantly stunning, filled with wonderful heart and glorious delight, Hayao Miyazaki's triumphant tribute to human flight is a treat for all ages, fueled by pitch-perfect voice work led by the charming voice of Michael Keaton, this is a cinematic experience for the ages.
½ March 18, 2018
One of the few Miyazaki films set in the real world. Delivers a fun film full of memorable characters. contains several interesting metaphors and symbolism as usual for a Miyazaki film.
February 13, 2018
The 90's for some reason was a wonderful time for animation and in this movie, it shines through. Fucking beautiful animation, so smooth. Those little girls the pirates capture are so cute. They cut the, what would be a very serious situation and tension, into something comedic and lighthearted, I love it. As soon as she said, when you were human, I could already see an interesting backstory forming.

Really cool to see a bounty hunter who's a pig. Watching this movie and really taking it in, I can't help but think how awesome it would be to be able to fly a plane and be able to traverse the sky. The American's plane looks slick. The colors are nice on it.

Porco is awesome. So sly and cool. Porco's got a great friend there. The one in Milan who's in the Air Force. That's a solid friend. Ahhhh! Seeing that flashback of Porco and Gina together was perfect. It put a smile on my face.

That part with the planes going to heaven was so beautiful and ethereal. Great metaphors in this movie like how Porco, being a pig, doesn't fight for honor, he fights for a paycheck. Sort of like how "pigs" in our modern world would act upon.

Overall, another wonderful Miyazaki film with beautiful animation and vibrant colors. The story was told beautifully. There wasn't really any dull or boring moments. It was a very fun and entertaining movie to watch with a good amount of laughs. Loved it!
February 12, 2018
A huge improvement from Hayao Miyazai's previous work, "Porco Rosso" is an exciting, twisted tale about a pig who can fly a plane, and he's good at it too! With fun characters popping out left and right, you can't help but smile and laugh as the story flies along. The story is imaginative, the animation is crisp, and the voice performance from the main cast makes up for the film's third disappointing act. What I mean by that is that when the story finishes, it feels incomplete and unsatisfying. You were hoping for some serious, intense dogfight between the protagonist and antagonist, but instead it falls under the Looney Tunes action sequence were nothing feels serious or rewarding. Nevertheless, there's more positives than negatives, so that's a win in my books.
October 30, 2017
Porco Rosso is more creative and risky than some of the more childish Miyazaki films and as a result, the movie is a funny, interesting, and, at times, emotional venture whose likable and sympathetic characters make for a fun watch.
August 23, 2017
Stunning reminiscent scenes coupled with traces of feminism; Porco Rosso well-captures the spirit of adventurism and heroic virtue.
½ August 13, 2017
Porco Rosso is a problematic movie. The animation is as wonderful as usual for the studio, the characters are memorable, I loved the relationship between Fio and Porco, the locations of the film are different and interesting and the film is so well scored and charming and endearing for the most part. However, I have to agree with Miyazaki himself that this is an adult film for children and it thus felt odd both conceptually and tonally. It struggled with its tone too much, the first act is somewhat rushed and the third act is silly leading to one of Ghibli's more humble offerings.
August 1, 2017
Neat story about an Italian war pilot. His not the average war pilot as he is under a curse making him look like a pig. He accepts it, but he does not like it. He is more hidden and is not proud of his looks.

He got many friends to support him as he still catches bad guys and air pirates. This job is dirty but pays well, so being under the radar and spending money on wine and good food seems fitting for a guy like Porco.

It looks very good, and it's got a lot of humor, heart and the usual love story. Nice villains and a very cool anti-hero as a main character.

Another amazing world opened up by Hayao Miyazaki with an ace story, wonderful characters and superb animation. Probably not as "other world opening" for children as many other of his films, but this is especially a treat for grown ups. Supercool intro too - multiple languages typed out simoustaniously - even Arabic, backwards compared to the other texts - way cool.

8 out of 10 propellers.
March 20, 2017
Brilliant little film
January 12, 2017
To sum it up in one sentence: Porco Rosso is a charming and underrated Miyazaki classic.
January 3, 2017
ultra thin with a hazy voice over ending, what?
October 13, 2016
A masterfully directed anime hidden gem. A classic. Ghibli at its best!

9.9/10- So nearly perfect!
½ October 2, 2016
Porco Rosso lacked the initial character appeal without knowing enough about it, but having watched it finally, I was wrong. This may become my favorite of Ghibli films. It's just as dreamy and fun as a signature Miyazaki, but has a deeper yet not overt touch of melancholy. With an aim more for adults, this movie makes me suddenly nostalgic for the people I didn't know in an era I didn't live in. In a movie that tastes like wine with bullets overhead, a pig certainly did fly.
September 16, 2016
It's not often I describe a film as "heartwarming" and literally mean it in the conventional, cheesy sense. This, alas, is one of those times. This is probably one of my very top Miyazaki flicks. It's a gentle, warm, beautiful story.
½ September 2, 2016
Delightfully silly with very serious undertones, including a surprising message about overcoming misogyny in a "Man's world".
½ August 13, 2016
Another beautiful movie from Miyazaki. A sea plane pilot who has become a pig, is a bounty hunter who gets attacked by an American pilot hired by pirates.
Gets his plane fixed and becomes a man again.
August 8, 2016
This movie was fantastic, another great animated movie by this great studio, full of heart & adventure.
July 12, 2016
Porco Rosso suit deux très bons films de Miyazaki Hayao, Mon Voisin Totoro et Kiki la Petite Sorcière. Heureusement, Porco Rosso est du même acabit, sans pour autant s'encombrer d'une intrigue solide. Suivant l'histoire d'un pilote surdoué italien à tête de cochon, le sixième opus de Miyazaki est une comédie dramatique souvent très drôle et parfois touchante, avec des personnages très bien troussés, une animation à tomber et encore une fois, un score de Joe Hisaishi qui confine à la perfection. Prenant son temps mais ne durant qu'1h30, Porco Rosso fait partie de ces films qui ne racontent pas grand-chose mais le font bien.
½ June 12, 2016
A wonderful tale of an Italian pilot that has decided to give up his military duties to be protection for hire against pirates. The voice talent and direction in the film are flawless and the animation is spectacular. While some people may find it a bit too slow to grab them. I found the pacing to be quite good and fits the style of the time that they were in.
May 2, 2016
This movie is a lot of fun, and surprisingly funny.