Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) Reviews

August 23, 2017
Stunning reminiscent scenes coupled with traces of feminism; Porco Rosso well-captures the spirit of adventurism and heroic virtue.
½ August 13, 2017
Porco Rosso is a problematic movie. The animation is as wonderful as usual for the studio, the characters are memorable, I loved the relationship between Fio and Porco, the locations of the film are different and interesting and the film is so well scored and charming and endearing for the most part. However, I have to agree with Miyazaki himself that this is an adult film for children and it thus felt odd both conceptually and tonally. It struggled with its tone too much, the first act is somewhat rushed and the third act is silly leading to one of Ghibli's more humble offerings.
August 1, 2017
Neat story about an Italian war pilot. His not the average war pilot as he is under a curse making him look like a pig. He accepts it, but he does not like it. He is more hidden and is not proud of his looks.

He got many friends to support him as he still catches bad guys and air pirates. This job is dirty but pays well, so being under the radar and spending money on wine and good food seems fitting for a guy like Porco.

It looks very good, and it's got a lot of humor, heart and the usual love story. Nice villains and a very cool anti-hero as a main character.

Another amazing world opened up by Hayao Miyazaki with an ace story, wonderful characters and superb animation. Probably not as "other world opening" for children as many other of his films, but this is especially a treat for grown ups. Supercool intro too - multiple languages typed out simoustaniously - even Arabic, backwards compared to the other texts - way cool.

8 out of 10 propellers.
March 20, 2017
Brilliant little film
January 12, 2017
To sum it up in one sentence: Porco Rosso is a charming and underrated Miyazaki classic.
January 3, 2017
ultra thin with a hazy voice over ending, what?
October 13, 2016
A masterfully directed anime hidden gem. A classic. Ghibli at its best!

9.9/10- So nearly perfect!
½ October 2, 2016
Porco Rosso lacked the initial character appeal without knowing enough about it, but having watched it finally, I was wrong. This may become my favorite of Ghibli films. It's just as dreamy and fun as a signature Miyazaki, but has a deeper yet not overt touch of melancholy. With an aim more for adults, this movie makes me suddenly nostalgic for the people I didn't know in an era I didn't live in. In a movie that tastes like wine with bullets overhead, a pig certainly did fly.
September 16, 2016
It's not often I describe a film as "heartwarming" and literally mean it in the conventional, cheesy sense. This, alas, is one of those times. This is probably one of my very top Miyazaki flicks. It's a gentle, warm, beautiful story.
½ September 2, 2016
Delightfully silly with very serious undertones, including a surprising message about overcoming misogyny in a "Man's world".
½ August 13, 2016
Another beautiful movie from Miyazaki. A sea plane pilot who has become a pig, is a bounty hunter who gets attacked by an American pilot hired by pirates.
Gets his plane fixed and becomes a man again.
August 8, 2016
This movie was fantastic, another great animated movie by this great studio, full of heart & adventure.
July 12, 2016
Porco Rosso suit deux très bons films de Miyazaki Hayao, Mon Voisin Totoro et Kiki la Petite Sorcière. Heureusement, Porco Rosso est du même acabit, sans pour autant s'encombrer d'une intrigue solide. Suivant l'histoire d'un pilote surdoué italien à tête de cochon, le sixième opus de Miyazaki est une comédie dramatique souvent très drôle et parfois touchante, avec des personnages très bien troussés, une animation à tomber et encore une fois, un score de Joe Hisaishi qui confine à la perfection. Prenant son temps mais ne durant qu'1h30, Porco Rosso fait partie de ces films qui ne racontent pas grand-chose mais le font bien.
½ June 12, 2016
A wonderful tale of an Italian pilot that has decided to give up his military duties to be protection for hire against pirates. The voice talent and direction in the film are flawless and the animation is spectacular. While some people may find it a bit too slow to grab them. I found the pacing to be quite good and fits the style of the time that they were in.
May 2, 2016
This movie is a lot of fun, and surprisingly funny.
½ April 8, 2016
I enjoyed this film from master animator Hayao Miyazaki, but I wouldn't consider it one of his best, not even top 5. The animation is solid, story interesting, and voicework solid, but i just didn't fully connect with it and I had some pacing issues with it. I did particularly enjoy the voicework of Michael Keaton and Cary Elwes though. Worth checking out.
½ January 21, 2016
Most underrated Ghibli movie
January 14, 2016
It may not reach Miyazaki's precious emotionally-involving heights, but this addition to his repertoire of flying films is nonetheless action-packed, funny, and dazzling with flexible animation; with still a touch of suitable fantasy in it's real-world setting.
December 26, 2015
Entertaining and a grand adventure.
December 21, 2015
Of all films that emerged from Hayao Miyazaki's illustrious career, only a few of them are particularly well-known in this country's public consciousness, which is quite sad because some of the lesser known films are brilliant (such as The Cat Returns for example). Porco Rosso, while not as good as some of those films, certainly displays its own unique quality. The film itself calls back to the early days of aviation, which, for me, enters the same territory that would later be explored by Miyazaki's swan song The Wind Rises. Perhaps that's because I saw that movie first. However, there are very stark differences between the two. The Wind Rises had a distinctly romantic view of its subject matter, while this film centres on a decidedly more down-to-earth protagonist. In the film, Porco Rosso is presented as a former ace pilot who shoots down pirates for pay, but he is clearly not without a moral compass. In fact, as the film develops, Porco Rosso develops as a multi-faceted character, and a rather likeable one as well, mainly because in spite of being literally and metaphorically a pig, he doesn't act like one in the strictest sense. The plot is quite well told, and you can get the sense of the interactions with the other characters informing Porco's own perspective. However, I feel that the story ended rather abruptly, as though Porco's story hadn't quite finished yet. Instead, the film closes with one of the other characters narrating from her point of view, and we don't even see those events taking place at all. Also, the film never really explains how the main character was cursed to look a pig, why he was cursed to begin, and how he's supposed to lift that curse. It's hinted at, but with no real explanation. Of course, I may just be nitpicking, but those details matter just as much as the substance does. The characters themselves make the film a lively experience, and they certainly give the film a sense of humour on plenty of occasions. The wonderful thing about it is that it's not too serious, but it's not too comical either. The film also seems to be fond of the empowering picture of women at work, with one of the film's central characters eager to prove herself capable. It seems to be a recurring trend in Miyazaki's films, and I think that sends a very positive message compared to the likes of Disney, whose view of women seems stuck in the Victorian age. For the English dub of the film, they picked a spectacular cast, with Michael Keaton (of Beetlejuice fame) providing the voice of the main character. It's a little unrealistic, but I'll let it slide because his acting in this film is quite magnetic. As finessed as the acting are, we can always count on the skill of the animation team at Studio Ghibli, who take animation and turn it into what might as well be fine art, and this comes into good effect with the stylish dogfights that take place throughout the film. It's no classic, but I think it's a real shame that this film is overlooked so often. It's a wonderful film with real character, and even if there are things you could nitpick at, I could easily look past that, especially because the film actually delivers on the sense of freedom, flight and adventure.