Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Porco Rosso (Kurenai no buta) Reviews

July 12, 2016
Porco Rosso suit deux très bons films de Miyazaki Hayao, Mon Voisin Totoro et Kiki la Petite Sorcière. Heureusement, Porco Rosso est du même acabit, sans pour autant s'encombrer d'une intrigue solide. Suivant l'histoire d'un pilote surdoué italien à tête de cochon, le sixième opus de Miyazaki est une comédie dramatique souvent très drôle et parfois touchante, avec des personnages très bien troussés, une animation à tomber et encore une fois, un score de Joe Hisaishi qui confine à la perfection. Prenant son temps mais ne durant qu'1h30, Porco Rosso fait partie de ces films qui ne racontent pas grand-chose mais le font bien.
½ June 12, 2016
A wonderful tale of an Italian pilot that has decided to give up his military duties to be protection for hire against pirates. The voice talent and direction in the film are flawless and the animation is spectacular. While some people may find it a bit too slow to grab them. I found the pacing to be quite good and fits the style of the time that they were in.
June 9, 2016
I'll summarize it in one sentence: Porco Rosso is really charming Miyazaki film thats one of my favorites, and is criminally under-appreciated.
May 2, 2016
This movie is a lot of fun, and surprisingly funny.
½ April 8, 2016
I enjoyed this film from master animator Hayao Miyazaki, but I wouldn't consider it one of his best, not even top 5. The animation is solid, story interesting, and voicework solid, but i just didn't fully connect with it and I had some pacing issues with it. I did particularly enjoy the voicework of Michael Keaton and Cary Elwes though. Worth checking out.
½ January 21, 2016
Most underrated Ghibli movie
January 14, 2016
It may not reach Miyazaki's precious emotionally-involving heights, but this addition to his repertoire of flying films is nonetheless action-packed, funny, and dazzling with flexible animation; with still a touch of suitable fantasy in it's real-world setting.
December 26, 2015
Entertaining and a grand adventure.
December 21, 2015
Of all films that emerged from Hayao Miyazaki's illustrious career, only a few of them are particularly well-known in this country's public consciousness, which is quite sad because some of the lesser known films are brilliant (such as The Cat Returns for example). Porco Rosso, while not as good as some of those films, certainly displays its own unique quality. The film itself calls back to the early days of aviation, which, for me, enters the same territory that would later be explored by Miyazaki's swan song The Wind Rises. Perhaps that's because I saw that movie first. However, there are very stark differences between the two. The Wind Rises had a distinctly romantic view of its subject matter, while this film centres on a decidedly more down-to-earth protagonist. In the film, Porco Rosso is presented as a former ace pilot who shoots down pirates for pay, but he is clearly not without a moral compass. In fact, as the film develops, Porco Rosso develops as a multi-faceted character, and a rather likeable one as well, mainly because in spite of being literally and metaphorically a pig, he doesn't act like one in the strictest sense. The plot is quite well told, and you can get the sense of the interactions with the other characters informing Porco's own perspective. However, I feel that the story ended rather abruptly, as though Porco's story hadn't quite finished yet. Instead, the film closes with one of the other characters narrating from her point of view, and we don't even see those events taking place at all. Also, the film never really explains how the main character was cursed to look a pig, why he was cursed to begin, and how he's supposed to lift that curse. It's hinted at, but with no real explanation. Of course, I may just be nitpicking, but those details matter just as much as the substance does. The characters themselves make the film a lively experience, and they certainly give the film a sense of humour on plenty of occasions. The wonderful thing about it is that it's not too serious, but it's not too comical either. The film also seems to be fond of the empowering picture of women at work, with one of the film's central characters eager to prove herself capable. It seems to be a recurring trend in Miyazaki's films, and I think that sends a very positive message compared to the likes of Disney, whose view of women seems stuck in the Victorian age. For the English dub of the film, they picked a spectacular cast, with Michael Keaton (of Beetlejuice fame) providing the voice of the main character. It's a little unrealistic, but I'll let it slide because his acting in this film is quite magnetic. As finessed as the acting are, we can always count on the skill of the animation team at Studio Ghibli, who take animation and turn it into what might as well be fine art, and this comes into good effect with the stylish dogfights that take place throughout the film. It's no classic, but I think it's a real shame that this film is overlooked so often. It's a wonderful film with real character, and even if there are things you could nitpick at, I could easily look past that, especially because the film actually delivers on the sense of freedom, flight and adventure.
October 5, 2015
Charming animated film by Miyazaki whose laid back style is both it's greatest strength & weakness. Miyazaki crafts a fun story with great characters and beautiful flight scenes, but he never adds any real drama to the piece. There is some gravitas to Porco's past & his curse, along with his relationship to the two females in his life, Gina & Fio (typical Miyazaki, fully fleshed out & independent). Plus, it does have a nice charm to it, with even the air pirates being more cartoonish than dangerous (even kidnapped school girls aren't afraid of them). However, it never seems to go anywhere (the film takes place in fascists Italy but never really addresses it) leading to a somewhat anti-climatic ending. Overall, not the best of the Miyazaki films but by default, still makes it one of the better animated movies ever made.
September 20, 2015
I really dig that pig.
September 19, 2015
Loved this film! It had me smiling from beginning to end. ð???
September 8, 2015
Miyazaki's most underrated and under acknowledged film. This is Miyazaki beginning his peak with wonderful writing, story telling, imagery, and characters. One of my all time favorite movies, and one of the three that make up my "God" tier of animated features.
½ September 3, 2015
If nothing else, this dreary, uninspired time waster shows the power of slapping a famous name in front of something. Its heart is in the right place, but nothing else.
August 10, 2015
esta pelicula es muy buena, tanto que merece que tenga las cinco estrellas
August 7, 2015
Continuing watching the Miyazaki films now we are here. I have to say what a good movie. Loved the whole solo plane guy, also liked the whole post world war 1 era.
July 26, 2015
It's a light quirky piece but is enhanced by Miyazaki's ever present sentimentality.
½ July 26, 2015
Porco Rosso looks gorgeous and majestic just like other Studio Ghibli's animations. The problem is that the tone of the movie lost at some point.
Is Porco Rosso worth watching? Sure, it is.
The first hour of this film is so lovely and enjoyable because of its creative imagination. Porco Rosso might not be Hayao Miyazaki's best effort but the animation still looks beautiful. Story is simple, enjoyable and straightforward.
In the end, I would say Porco Rosso is a delightful fantasy-drama animation about the life of a pilot.
July 2, 2015
Miyazaki toma toda su pasión por los hidroaviones, el código de honor de los pilotos y a su usual apoyo al género femenino durante los tiempos antes de la guerra en "Porco Rosso" con personajes sumamente carismáticos y divertidos al estilo del gran Studio Ghibli.
June 22, 2015
best pig movie since babe