Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Reviews

½ January 27, 2017
Lee Daniels directs the movie Precious. Precious is the story of Clarissa Precious Jones (Gabourey Sidibe) who lives in Harlem. She is unable to read, and has two children from being raped by her father. Her mother (Monique) is a deadbeat that relies only on welfare to get through the day. Precious is a victim of her circumstances, but hopes to do better for herself.

For starters, she is kicked out of school, but placed in a new alternative school. She gets more care and tries to learn how to read. She does this despite constant putdowns from her mother that she will never amount to anything. The mother appears jealous of her that she has two kids by her father, and only one by her. Needless to say, this is quite an awkward scenario. Precious can only get through the day by fantasizing about being famous.

Precious to me just a constant negative film. The mother and daughter fighting just gets tiring. The film is just an endless tirade of sad events. I don't believe that all movies need to end well or have much inspiration, but this film just seems to go out of the way to write miserable scenarios. When the mother fights, and nearly kills Precious and the new child just seems absurd, particularly when she has to know that it was rape that led to the birth of the child. While these scenarios may exist in real life, this movie just poured it on too thick. For me the example of a good tragedy is not one where they just pour on bad event after bad event. There should be a better balance of events, characters with more depth, and something light, which this movie had basically none of.

-1.27.2017
January 2, 2017
Truly disturbing, but amazingly crafted film. Like certain other films, I will never watch this one again, for the simple fact that I don't think I could take it.
November 20, 2016
This movie has a the feels. Truly remarkable and you don't for a moment stop pulling for the lead and character is well written. Unbelievable job of casting and the screen writer.
November 17, 2016
I can see why Sigourney Sidibe won an Oscar for Precious. What an intense film. The story of a young woman's struggle to make a life for herself in spite of rape, incest, and physical and verbal abuse in her home. Director Lee Daniels uses gritty realism with flashes of fantasy scenes to reveal Clarice's inner strength.
September 11, 2016
Many years ago I kept hearing about this new black actress on the scene who killed it in a film called precious. Everywhere I went especially black areas I kept hearing about gabrorey sidbe's incredible performance and monique's for that matter. I finally got around years later to watching Precious based on the novel push by sapphire and I kid you not when I saw I was having to pick my jaw off the floor. Amazing picture that couldn't have been more deserve of the Oscar nod it got in 2010.
Clareece "Precious" Jones is a young obese girl living in Harlem, NY with just her mother Mary. The Jones household is an abusive one both physically and psychologically. on top of that she has a child with down syndrome. After getting expelled from her high school precious goes to an alternative one and meets people who help her see a light in at the end of the dark tunnel she is still walking through. the movie is one of triumph pain and of course coming of age.
This was maad raw! nothing was held back with this portrayal of an abusive household and life for that matter. The imagery during certain scenes paint a picture of what precious has going on her head each day. the lighting was tremendous it made everything so dim litted and darker. makes it obvious it was done on low budget but it was still pretty cool to see. I really liked the authentic narrative in this from precious. the scene where everything unraveled left me speechless. It has to have been one of the best acted out scenes of 2009. The script overall was tremendous.
gabroure sidbe delivers a powerful performance. She plays one of the most unusual roles for woman. an obese young girl lost in the world. you immediately are rooting for her because she has more than the average girl with problems to deal with and you want her to succeed. you are taken on an emotional journey with her and you witness the pain she is in..I was stunned at how much incredibly horrible things were coming out of Mary's mouth. I mean I've seen more evil characters but still like I ended hating Mary so much. For Monique to get that kind of reaction out of me shows how much incredible hidden talent she has when she is working with proper direction from an accomplished director. lee daniels gives us really nice escapism moments with precious that takes out of the cruel reality that she lives in. The juxtaposition and compacted shots he uses are all excellent. Daniels unflinching look into a harsh life in inner city harlem ranks him among the best in black directors, spike Lee's, John Singleton's, the Melvin Van Peeples, the steve mcqueens and so forth.
Precious is an amazing stunning picture that one must definitely see
½ September 6, 2016
Although you'll be forced to fight back tears while watching, "Precious" is ultimately as hopeful as it is emotional.
½ July 12, 2016
A film which leans too heavily on the depressive elements of life, Precious is nevertheless an effective dissection of both emotional and physical abuse among the disadvantaged. It's problems lie in its tendency to wallow in misery, and resorting to repetitive fantasy sequences for levity rather than moments of genuine relief. Mo'Nique, lauded for her performance, is genuinely terrifying and convincing malevolent as the cruel, resentful mother, and while her role is mostly one-note, it still reeks of conviction and dedication. I believe, however, that the central performance of Gabourey Sidibe is much better, purely because we see many more sides of her character, and spend enough time with her to really empathise with her situation. It's a tough sit, and won't be something to watch frequently or in a casual environment, but if you're happy to invest the time and effort, it's rewards on plenty of levels.
July 7, 2016
Precious is one of the best films ever made, but let's make no mistake--it is a hard movie to watch. This movie grips you from the beginning and will not let you go. You may well find having to pause the movie to take a step back and take a few moments before continuing. This is a result of the powerful performances given by Gaborey Sidibe playing the title character and Mo'nique playing Precious' mother. This film deals with taboo themes with a relentless intensity that almost makes Schindler's List look like a fluff piece. Yet for all that, it is still a very inspirational film that shows us "inspirational" movies don't have to be sickly sweet, sappy pieces that would insult the intelligence of a five-year-old.
June 21, 2016
Fantastically brilliant. A real sad movie that turns into beautiful joy.
½ May 26, 2016
An abused, impoverished 16 year old girl's journey of redemption thanks to a caring teacher.
May 22, 2016
I have very strong feeling I may cry at this movie ...
May 5, 2016
Disturbing, but compelling portrait of abuse and redemption with great performances by Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'Nique.
May 1, 2016
There are interesting special features about the making of this film on the DVD. From these I learned that Lee Daniels's film was complete when Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey came on board simply to help push the distribution. Precious easily passes the Bechdel test with Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, Gabourey Sidibe, and Precious's classmates. The story is heartbreaking, the dream sequences are creative at relieving the tension to show where Precious would rather be, and, yet, there are notes of hope that come together by the end.
April 21, 2016
hope it wins an oscar
½ April 10, 2016
Real amazing acting real human characters but oh man it's about as bleak as you can get.
½ April 10, 2016
Fantasy is a powerful psychological survival mechanism where society's rules are swept under the carpet as you become God of the universe, to choose whatever you want to be, to be constantly popular in public as a rich and famous celebrity, to stay young and healthy forever as if there is no such thing as old age or death bacause you can be certain to know that death will never come near you. Monique's abusive character was definitely very violent as if Precious has stolen her romance away from her husband ;;
March 13, 2016
Precious is a great movie that bases itself in emotion and character building. Along with a great powerful touching story add to that the great performances from all the actors/ actresses that all add up to a make it a great film.
½ February 6, 2016
Much of the film is not exactly uplifting; more specifically, it is quite slow moving and rather depressing - basically, a bleak drama. And so it is not a film for everyone. However, on the bright side, it is very well made. The story revolves around the life of Clareece, an abused teenager who has never gone to school and is raped by her father to birth children into the family. Her transformation out of the family is what the film is about - therefore, ultimately, the film is about triumph over disfunction (and over bleakness?).
December 31, 2015
Ultimately depressing but the film is made so engaging due to the characters within the drama, fabulous performances across the board, especially mum and daughter.
November 7, 2015
The greatest achievement of this bleak drama is how it makes us sympathize with a character that could have been easily stereotyped if played by a not-so-great actress, but Sidibe is superb as well as Mo'Nique, who shines as the selfish mother.