Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire Reviews

½ July 12, 2016
A film which leans too heavily on the depressive elements of life, Precious is nevertheless an effective dissection of both emotional and physical abuse among the disadvantaged. It's problems lie in its tendency to wallow in misery, and resorting to repetitive fantasy sequences for levity rather than moments of genuine relief. Mo'Nique, lauded for her performance, is genuinely terrifying and convincing malevolent as the cruel, resentful mother, and while her role is mostly one-note, it still reeks of conviction and dedication. I believe, however, that the central performance of Gabourey Sidibe is much better, purely because we see many more sides of her character, and spend enough time with her to really empathise with her situation. It's a tough sit, and won't be something to watch frequently or in a casual environment, but if you're happy to invest the time and effort, it's rewards on plenty of levels.
July 7, 2016
Precious is one of the best films ever made, but let's make no mistake--it is a hard movie to watch. This movie grips you from the beginning and will not let you go. You may well find having to pause the movie to take a step back and take a few moments before continuing. This is a result of the powerful performances given by Gaborey Sidibe playing the title character and Mo'nique playing Precious' mother. This film deals with taboo themes with a relentless intensity that almost makes Schindler's List look like a fluff piece. Yet for all that, it is still a very inspirational film that shows us "inspirational" movies don't have to be sickly sweet, sappy pieces that would insult the intelligence of a five-year-old.
June 21, 2016
Fantastically brilliant. A real sad movie that turns into beautiful joy.
½ May 26, 2016
An abused, impoverished 16 year old girl's journey of redemption thanks to a caring teacher.
May 22, 2016
I have very strong feeling I may cry at this movie ...
May 5, 2016
Disturbing, but compelling portrait of abuse and redemption with great performances by Gabourey Sidibe and Mo'Nique.
May 1, 2016
There are interesting special features about the making of this film on the DVD. From these I learned that Lee Daniels's film was complete when Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey came on board simply to help push the distribution. Precious easily passes the Bechdel test with Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, Gabourey Sidibe, and Precious's classmates. The story is heartbreaking, the dream sequences are creative at relieving the tension to show where Precious would rather be, and, yet, there are notes of hope that come together by the end.
April 21, 2016
hope it wins an oscar
½ April 10, 2016
Real amazing acting real human characters but oh man it's about as bleak as you can get.
½ April 10, 2016
Fantasy is a powerful psychological survival mechanism where society's rules are swept under the carpet as you become God of the universe, to choose whatever you want to be, to be constantly popular in public as a rich and famous celebrity, to stay young and healthy forever as if there is no such thing as old age or death bacause you can be certain to know that death will never come near you. Monique's abusive character was definitely very violent as if Precious has stolen her romance away from her husband ;;
March 13, 2016
Precious is a great movie that bases itself in emotion and character building. Along with a great powerful touching story add to that the great performances from all the actors/ actresses that all add up to a make it a great film.
½ February 6, 2016
Much of the film is not exactly uplifting; more specifically, it is quite slow moving and rather depressing - basically, a bleak drama. And so it is not a film for everyone. However, on the bright side, it is very well made. The story revolves around the life of Clareece, an abused teenager who has never gone to school and is raped by her father to birth children into the family. Her transformation out of the family is what the film is about - therefore, ultimately, the film is about triumph over disfunction (and over bleakness?).
December 31, 2015
Ultimately depressing but the film is made so engaging due to the characters within the drama, fabulous performances across the board, especially mum and daughter.
November 7, 2015
The greatest achievement of this bleak drama is how it makes us sympathize with a character that could have been easily stereotyped if played by a not-so-great actress, but Sidibe is superb as well as Mo'Nique, who shines as the selfish mother.
October 29, 2015
To get pulled from the depths of despair and made to feel like a human being by people who truly love you is a precious gift that must be treasured. Precious walks a long, winding, dark road in finding that love. No, it's not with The Perfect Guy, thank God. It's with the people in her life who truly want her to be the somebody that they know she can be. Everyone is excellent in this. Mo'Nique, known to most people on the street as a loud, blue stand up comic, creates one of the greatest cinematic villains in recent memory, and richly deserved her Oscar. I admit I had some misgivings when I found out Mariah Carey was going to be a part of this due to her atrocious performance in one of the worst movies ever made, "Glitter," but just like every other actor, she succeeds in turning her scripted character into a full fledged real person. But the show belongs to Gabourey Sidibe. She delivers a heartwrenching, mindblowing debut performance. Overall, this is one of the top movies of the decade, and it will speak to you whether you're black, white, rich, poor, or somewhere in between.
October 13, 2015
Amazing story about overcoming huge adversity in a poverished Harlem. Based in the 1980's, the story is gritty, but has a magical touch of whimsey to dull the pain. Definate see for an uplifting story ie The Blind Side.
October 8, 2015
A really moving movie
September 17, 2015
Na versão cinematográfica, Precious não é a estrela, sua mãe o é. Mo'Nique é um monstro talentoso.
½ August 1, 2015
Enough to make me cry.
½ June 10, 2015
This one actually turned out to be much better than I was expecting, and for the most part avoids the overly maudlin approach that one could fear about a movie of this genre. It probably deserved the best picture oscar, but relying on them to get it right seems silly, anyway. Um... yeah. This Daniels guy looks like somebody to watch. Maybe I'll check out Shadowboxer, who knows? Oh, yeah, and you will, I believe, be a more empathetic person after seeing this movie. And this will be a good thing. You will use this to your advantage. It will not weaken you. It will only make you stronger. Mang.